Poll: Mac Jones

Poll: If Mac Jones was a Jet...  

172 members have voted

1. 1. If Mac Jones started for the Jets this year, how would he be doing?

• Just as well as he’s playing for the Patriots
    • Not quite as well as he’s doing for the Pats but still good
    • Mediocre
    • He’d stink

42 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I mean is this really debatable?  He’s playing for probably the best and most experienced HC-OC combo of all time, working with an above average o-line and has a defense that has allowed him to consistently play in close games.  Mac couldn’t be in a more different situation than Zach Wilson.

Exactly, he's actually playing under intense pressure to perform.  The players in their locker room know they have a shot for the playoffs and maybe a deep run.   Mac Jones won the job and is playing at a very high level.  He's probably won the locker room and the team feels that they can win every time they take the field because of it.  

Zach has zero pressure on him and can't hit a short pass.   

You have unententionally presented the classic two sided coin argument.  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've seen Belichick draft quite a few QB's over the years and basically none of them were good outside of Brady.  Not even Garoppolo is really any good.

But now, all of a sudden, Mac Jones performs well as a rookie and Belichick is getting all the credit for being some QB whisperer?  C'mon now.

Mac Jones is pretty good, and he'd be pretty good here too had the Jets drafted him.  Eventually we'll have to deal with that as fans.

So BB gets no credit whatsoever for Brady or Mac Jones? he just hit on the QB lottery twice in his career and we can't hit on it once in 50 years? Do you actually believe this crap you write?

One thing BB does well, is draft qbs.  He’s taking what, mid round picks  and turns them into competent, durable backups in this league (even elsewhere).  Jimmy G was a borderline top 10 qb before injuries derailed his career.  I don’t think there is a single team in the league that has had anywhere near that success with their castoff qbs.  Is some of that coaching?  Probably!  But its mental talent and intangibles as well, and for whatever reason they do a great job of finding that in their draft picks.

So its not surprising to me that they hit on their 1st round qb.  A guy who was projected as a top 3 pick by almost everyone and indeed probably should have gone in the top 3.

As to the question of whether he would be good on the Jets?  No he’s not going to turn a bad team into a good one, like a Mahomes might do, but we wouldn’t have been a running joke for the first part of the year like what we had with ZW.

9 hours ago, Biggs said:

Zach has zero pressure on him and can't hit a short pass.   

You have unententionally presented the classic two sided coin argument.  

You’ve got to be kidding me with that comment.  An underperforming rookie QB who was the second overall pick playing in the biggest media market in the world … yeah, I’m sure he was nothing but relaxed this past week.

3 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

You’ve got to be kidding me with that comment.  An underperforming rookie QB who was the second overall pick playing in the biggest media market in the world … yeah, I’m sure he was nothing but relaxed this past week.

His confidence meter should’ve been breaking the glass after hiding him from the ferocious #26 ranked Fins defense.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

The Jets aren’t even a relevant story in the Metro NY area.  If Zach continues playing like he is they can put him in witness protection at islander games.  He’s not Joe Namath or Eli Manning.  He’s another guy trying to save the jets.  A third rate team that plays in Giant Stadium.  Joe Burrow in Cincinnati has way more spotlight and pressure on him than Zach.  Zach is on the verge of irrelevancy if he doesn’t make a big U turn in his play.  Fans in New England expect Mac Jones to be good enough to make them a SB contender.  For a kid wanting to be an NFL QB that’s real competitive professional pressure.  

The ny media doesn’t even care about the Jets.  They’ve already started to move on from Zach.  

On 11/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

We've seen Belichick draft quite a few QB's over the years and basically none of them were good outside of Brady.  Not even Garoppolo is really any good.

But now, all of a sudden, Mac Jones performs well as a rookie and Belichick is getting all the credit for being some QB whisperer?  C'mon now.

Mac Jones is pretty good, and he'd be pretty good here too had the Jets drafted him.  Eventually we'll have to deal with that as fans.

Dunno about that.  Even the scrub QB's that NE fielded under Belichick looked half way decent acting as system cogs for when Brady was not available.   Remember Matt Cassell ??? He was a hot commodity on the open market after BB dressed him up. Even Ryan Mallett looked like something approximating a QB when he was in there for Belichick.

If Mac Jones was with the Jets now and stuck in their miserably deficient system, he'd be labeled a bust already. 

A football team is like an orchestra. 

With the Jets, the musicians are poor, and the conductor is clueless and the dog pissed on the sheet music.  

It is clear and present. 

No amount of "patience" or excuse making or fanboy obfuscating can mask how bad the Jets are as an organization.

That is not to say that game time should be avoided. 

You cans still follow the Jets without wrecking your Sunday.  Keep expectations at zero, expect them to take a major ass kicking and have something else constructive to do during the game.   

Commit to this until and if the Jets get a new owner AND that new owner knows how to hire the right people and stay out of their way.

And that day may never come. 

• Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Biggs said:

The Jets aren’t even a relevant story in the Metro NY area.  If Zach continues playing like he is they can put him in witness protection at islander games.  He’s not Joe Namath or Eli Manning.  He’s another guy trying to save the jets.  A third rate team that plays in Giant Stadium.  Joe Burrow in Cincinnati has way more spotlight and pressure on him than Zach.  Zach is on the verge of irrelevancy if he doesn’t make a big U turn in his play.  Fans in New England expect Mac Jones to be good enough to make them a SB contender.  For a kid wanting to be an NFL QB that’s real competitive professional pressure.  

The ny media doesn’t even care about the Jets.  They’ve already started to move on from Zach.  

Serious question: do you even live in the NY market?  Because I do and I can tell you that  the Jets (and Giants) are still constant topics on sports radio.  The attention and scrutiny doesn’t die down just because your team falls out of playoff contention, if anything it’s the exact opposite.  And both NY teams probably have more beat writers covering them than any other team.  I’ve heard numerous players talk about how different it is at NY press conferences given the number of media members there asking questions.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Serious question: do you even live in the NY market?  Because I do and I can tell you that  the Jets (and Giants) are still constant topics on sports radio.  The attention and scrutiny doesn’t die down just because your team falls out of playoff contention, if anything it’s the exact opposite.  And both NY teams probably have more beat writers covering them than any other team.  I’ve heard numerous players talk about how different it is at NY press conferences given the number of media members there asking questions.

I doubt you listening to one of Ira's monolgues on WFAN is pressuring Zach Wilson to fold up on 3 yard passes.

• Haha 1

On 11/29/2021 at 1:23 PM, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

I mean is this really debatable?  He’s playing for probably the best and most experienced HC-OC combo of all time, working with an above average o-line and has a defense that has allowed him to consistently play in close games.  Mac couldn’t be in a more different situation than Zach Wilson.

Except the Pats were going nowhere without Brady and BB is a bitch without Brady.  He is in a different situation.  He's expected to play well enough to win in games that matter.  It's called pressure.  

30 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I doubt you listening to one of Ira's monolgues on WFAN is pressuring Zach Wilson to fold up on 3 yard passes.

You can keep throwing out idiot comments like this to support whatever it is you’re trying to say, but I’ve given up trying to understand.  You clearly don’t understand the NY media (great Joe Burrow comparison, btw) so stop pretending to.

Wow.  46 % of JN thinks Mac Jones would suck here?

Why even evaluate QB prospects anymore?  The Jets are apparently such a QB vortex that even pretty good ones would suck here, according to nearly half of JN.  Nevermind that our offense is actually not terrible this year.  Mac would be doomed just by donning the green & white.

And people call ME a negative fan. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Wow.  46 % of JN thinks Mac Jones would suck here?

Why even evaluate QB prospects anymore?  The Jets are apparently such a QB vortex that even pretty good ones would suck here, according to nearly half of JN.  Nevermind that our offense is actually not terrible this year.  Mac would be doomed just by donning the green & white.

And people call ME a negative fan. 

It's very strange how those who think the other 51 guys on the active roster, the coaches, the staff, the front office and the owner created a situation of organizational rot that no QB has been able to succeed in for years are the Real Jets Fans and those who think the bulk of the team's issues -- at least on offense -- relate primarily to one player are Debbie Downers with a loser mentality.

It is also interesting that those who defend QBs the most voraciously believe that QBs are basically flotsam on the sea of circumstance.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

You can keep throwing out idiot comments like this to support whatever it is you’re trying to say, but I’ve given up trying to understand.  You clearly don’t understand the NY media (great Joe Burrow comparison, btw) so stop pretending to.

Let me make this simple for you.  In this huge metropolitan area the jets aren’t a big deal.  Neither is Zach Wilson.  They are both mildly entertaining and relevant when they are good.  If they win a championship together they will get some attention.  In Cincinnati the Bengals and Joe Borrow are actually a big deal.  They even have talk radio.  Mel from Madeira monologue on Radio one Cincinnati is can’t miss radio.  

On 11/29/2021 at 11:56 PM, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

And we see how these fans have supported him through tough times.