Poll: Mac Jones

Poll: If Mac Jones was a Jet...  

172 members have voted

1. 1. If Mac Jones started for the Jets this year, how would he be doing?

• Just as well as he’s playing for the Patriots
    • Not quite as well as he’s doing for the Pats but still good
    • Mediocre
    • He’d stink

Macc Jones looks good to me and I don't think it's fair to say that he would suddenly suck if he was with the Jets. 

HOWEVER - cautionary tales about overreacting to rookie seasons are always in order. (e.g. remember when people thought Mayfield was going to be a future MVP during his first year?)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Macc Jones looks good to me and I don't think it's fair to say that he would suddenly suck if he was with the Jets. 

HOWEVER - cautionary tales about overreacting to rookie seasons are always in order. (e.g. remember when people thought Mayfield was going to be a future MVP during his first year?)

Same with Jimmy G after his first 5 games in SF

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Icer said:

He'd suck, just like everyone likes to remind us when they say we could have had Watson, Mahomes, Allen, or Jackson. It's not different because he's in New England

IMO, Mahomes would’ve been every bit as good here as he's been in KC.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Right now he’s the most advanced of the QBs drafted this year. He came into a good situation but many players including Cam Newton, Ocho Cinco etc couldn’t adequately learn their offense and produce even though very good players. It was no joke when NEP players were saying during training camp that Mac knew the plays better than Cam. NEP again lucked out when drafting a starting Qb. Let’s just hope that Zach can develop and learn the job as well as Jones has. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Icer said:

He'd suck, just like everyone likes to remind us when they say we could have had Watson, Mahomes, Allen, or Jackson. It's not different because he's in New England

So then… the draft is meaningless and drafting good players changes nothing. And they call me a downer around here.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've seen Belichick draft quite a few QB's over the years and basically none of them were good outside of Brady.  Not even Garoppolo is really any good.

But now, all of a sudden, Mac Jones performs well as a rookie and Belichick is getting all the credit for being some QB whisperer?  C'mon now.

Mac Jones is pretty good, and he'd be pretty good here too had the Jets drafted him.  Eventually we'll have to deal with that as fans.

I wasn’t sold in the beginning and I’m not really now. Yet, with all that he seems to do pretty good at what he is told to do, he’s accurate and seems to really understand the offense. I think LaFleur would likely get him to play well at some point in the season. Question would beat up he would have been before that happened? 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We've seen Belichick draft quite a few QB's over the years and basically none of them were good outside of Brady.  Not even Garoppolo is really any good.

But now, all of a sudden, Mac Jones performs well as a rookie and Belichick is getting all the credit for being some QB whisperer?  C'mon now.

Mac Jones is pretty good, and he'd be pretty good here too had the Jets drafted him.  Eventually we'll have to deal with that as fans.

None could develop.   Brady won’t give up starts.  Garrapalo is better than any QB we’ve had in 15 years.   BB is doing a really good job and shows how much we don’t know how to run a football team.  

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You make a strong argument regarding Belichick's other quarterbacks he's drafted. I don't think Jimmy Garoppolo is a bad quarterback but you're pretty much on point. Mac Jones is definitely in a great situation with that Pats defense giving him support. I'm jealous of the Patriots. They only had to suck 1 season and it was without fans during a Pandemic. I cannot wait to watch them expose the Bills running back Josh Allen next Monday night.

I am going to push back on this a little.

JimmyG is a good QB.  He cannot stay healthy.  Hoyer, Brissett and Cassell were ok QBs.  

I would say Josh is getting the credit.  

As far as Mac, he would have been okay with the Jets.  He probably would not have a 2 to 1 TD/INT ratio, but he would be productive.

• Upvote 2

Jimmy G - 2 starts for the Pats, was 2-0. 43/63, 502 yds and 4 tds to 0 INTs.

His year with Cassel saw him go 10-5 with 21 TDs to 11 INTs. 63.3% completion.

Jacoby Brisset was 1-1 with a 61.8% completion rate.

I think you’re understating the affect this coaching staff has on QBs.  Especially since they’ve been the most dominant team in the NFL for the past 20 years or so.  If you put Lawrence or Wilson on the team, they’d be doing just as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

38 minutes ago, heymangold said:

Jimmy G - 2 starts for the Pats, was 2-0. 43/63, 502 yds and 4 tds to 0 INTs.

His year with Cassel saw him go 10-5 with 21 TDs to 11 INTs. 63.3% completion.

Jacoby Brisset was 1-1 with a 61.8% completion rate.

I think you’re understating the affect this coaching staff has on QBs.  Especially since they’ve been the most dominant team in the NFL for the past 20 years or so.  If you put Lawrence or Wilson on the team, they’d be doing just as well.

This is why you can't say do you think (insert QB name) would be good/bad on the jets. I think even Brady, manning o nthe jets wouldn't be as successful. I think they find ways to get the ball out and maybe make some plays we haven't seen from our QB, but ultimately the talent and coaching is not there. 

We saw Casse; and brisset go other places and not do as well. Jimmy G is an ok QB, but would be crap on the jets. 

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Would take a QB with the output of Garrapolo over Wilson in a heartbeat. 

Jones was the pick. Period, full stop. Alabama played a pro system, against SEC defenses loaded with NFL talent. And Jones excelled. Wilson played in a sheetbag conference against a bunch of guys who are now out of football. Grant Josh Allen played same teams, but he is 6'5", and that was probably a case of big schools missing him; that happens in college. On the one occasion he played a real defense in Tennessee as a junior, he wasn't so great. Jones played against those kinds of defenses every week and was terrific. He's also bigger and stronger than Wilson. Jones has a pro pocket presence, Wilson looks like a kid who got separated from his 8th grade field trip. 

Douglas, being a scout with what he thought was find in Wilson, overthought this. 

In short, this draft was ANOTHER DISASTER. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, Beerfish said:

His o line in the super bowl was better than the shlock the jets have trotted out in darnolds years so i am not sure.

Would note; yesterday Jets' OL looked pretty good in the run game. And they looked much better with White, Flacco and Josh Johnson than they've ever looked with Wilson under center. Why is that? Is that a coincidence? Not saying it's the OL of Rex Ryan's era leading the NFL in rushing. But there's an issue here with Wilson much more than there's an issue with the OL. 

• Upvote 1

He's playing well with Kendrick Bourne and Jakobi Meyers as his top receivers. His receiving back is a special teams player. He doesn't have any elite weapons who are making him look good. I think he could succeed in most places provided he's not in a David Carr situation.

• Upvote 2

How is it possible that every person who thinks Mahomes, Jones, insert any name, wouldn’t be good if they played here are the same exact people who think Wilson can be a great QB here?

I really don’t get it. 
Are they saying Wilson is better than all these guys, or that we should never draft a young QB because they have no shot here?

Someone explain this… please?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1