Why are we being so friggin impatient with Zach?

LSJF

16 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Has he looked good? Yes, at times. Second half of Carolina, Tennessee, early NE. He was 13/19 after starting 1/5 yesterday. Again, I don’t think you guys remember how awful the entire offense was early in the year. Wilson was a freaking victim the first month of the season. 

Also there was no running game either.  Nearly every 3rd down was 3rd and 8 or more.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, LSJF said:

Why are we being so friggin impatient with Zach?

It doesn't help that Mac Jones is doing very well in comparison on the team that has tortured us for 2 decades.  One looks like a legit NFL QB. The other doesn't as of yet.  Mac Jones success is the equivalent of pouring gas on the fire.  

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It doesn't help that Mac Jones is doing very well in comparison on the team that has tortured us for 2 decades.  One looks like a legit NFL QB. The other doesn't as of yet.  Mac Jones success is the equivalent of pouring gas on the fire.  

I think the league will eventually catch up to Mac and New England. I expect the Bills to me that team give the league the blueprint. They are a terrible matchup for the Pats offense. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I know, but we know the facts, that organization has been in place for so long with so much success, they could probably make Sam look good… I thought Mac Jones looked good in his college hilites, looked like a traditional quarterback who wasn’t just running all over the place… That was my YouTube research, lol… We as Jets no we can’t develop a quarterback, only maybe just maybe they can do it this time, the quarterback usually has to be much better than the organization to make it here…

1 hour ago, ZachWilsonSupporter said:

I think the league will eventually catch up to Mac and New England. I expect the Bills to me that team give the league the blueprint. They are a terrible matchup for the Pats offense. 

We hate them, but we know they are well coached, and they do develop players, Mac will probably just get better

Because at this point he already needs to be the mother of all outliers to become a good NFL QB.

He doesn't look like early Sam Darnold, Josh Allen or Mark Sanchez. He looks exactly like someone who can't play in the league at all. 

Shouldn't have played a down this year. Whatever potential he did have to play will be offset by the trauma. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

Zach Wilson would look like a dumpster fire in New England.  Matt Jones was born to run an offence like that.  

Sometimes, you have to look at the shiny new toys and decide if the square peg can be squeezed into the round hole, or might it be best to just go with the boring round peg which will easily slide right in.   No sexual innuendo intended.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Because at this point he already needs to be the mother of all outliers to become a good NFL QB.

He doesn't look like early Sam Darnold, Josh Allen or Mark Sanchez. He looks exactly like someone who can't play in the league at all. 

Shouldn't have played a down this year. Whatever potential he did have to play will be offset by the trauma. 

Probably not.  But a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 10 years doesn't get the luxury to build a contender the right way.  My god, there were people calling for JD's head after the scrap heap kicker missed two fields goals in the first game which JD had only been in the building for a few months.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Dcat said:

True, but it's very much in line with this board to obsess over Jones and ignore the struggles of Lawrence, Fields and Lance. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, ZachWilsonSupporter said:

Interesting.

So the league, led by Buffalo, will "catch up" to Mac Jones, and his quality of play/production will decline over time.

But Zach Wilson will improve, and produce more, and the league (also led by our div. rival Bills) will not "catch up" to him in the same way?

:-k

I'll be honest, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Zach does against the Bills on Jan. 9th.  It'll likely be a completely meaningless game for both sides (with Buffalo likely sitting starters), sadly, but even so, it will be interesting. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

True, but it's very much in line with this board to obsess over Jones and ignore the struggles of Lawrence, Fields and Lance. 

I don't see the board "obsessing" over Jones.  It's more shock as most of us were told he was a bum and Belicheat would be nothing without Brady.   And you just can't ignore that Jones has played really well with NE at 8-4.  Again, 8 and frigging four and leading the division.

As for "ignoring" struggles by the other rookies?  I read plenty of comments that they suck.  As a person who wanted Fields, even I said he and the rest have been a distaster.

• Sympathy 1

I could be wrong but I can see him ending up being a well above average NFL starting Qb during his career. Like Saleh has said he has made typical rookie mistakes and some atypical. Even he admits he throws fastballs when he shouldn't be. If he fixes just that he will be much more effective.

• Upvote 1

There is an intellect to the QB position that goes well beyond what we as fans can comprehend. In todays NFL you need to be either extremely “football” intelligent or extremely gifted athletically. Zach is neither, and that’s why he is struggling so badly. Guys like Jackson, Murray, Mahomes, Allen…. They are amazing athletes. They can run and are built like tanks. Zach can sort of run, but he has no frame at all and could never take the hits those other guys can. Mac Jones is better than Zach because Mac Jones is the most intellectually intelligent QB in this past draft. Zach’s one season of success at BYU running a 1/2 rate offense facing 1/2 rate defenses did nothing to prepare him for the league, and his lack of success until his final year should have been the biggest and only red flag they needed to see through the fugazi-ness of his draft ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

I don't see the board "obsessing" over Jones.  It's more shock as most of us were told he was a bum and Belicheat would be nothing without Brady.   And you just can't ignore that Jones has played really well with NE at 8-4.  Again, 8 and frigging four and leading the division.

As for "ignoring" struggles by the other rookies?  I read plenty of comments that they suck.  As a person who wanted Fields, even I said he and the rest have been a distaster.

Jones has played well. In the beginning the Pats did not ask him to do much. Keep it short, run the football and play defense.

Now they are still running the ball well, Playing great defense and they are giving Jones more.

You know sometimes it just isn't all about the QB.

• Upvote 3

Remember Zach’s workout where he did a rollout and threw a beautiful bomb downfield?  He can still do that.  Did he practice the short stuff?  That was harder. 

Remember how people talked about the 49ers taking Mac Jones?   I guess that was maybe a smoke screen, but we all see now the difference in the players. 

Zach has a year to hit short passes.  He needs competition next year.  

• Upvote 2

I don't think impatience is the right word, at least not for the vast majority of fans. I think skeptical is a more accurate term. There aren't many who think the Jets should give up on Wilson, but a fair amount who are sounding the alarm and hoping that JD invests some resources in the QB2 next year so prepare for a potential bust. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, shawn306 said:

Jones has played well. In the beginning the Pats did not ask him to do much. Keep it short, run the football and play defense.

Now they are still running the ball well, Playing great defense and they are giving Jones more.

You know sometimes it just isn't all about the QB.

Jones has been reading the field well and making great decisions since day one. He's extremely composed under pressure - He makes a few plays every game where he's about to get hit. 

He's on another level to Zach. Obviously the Patriots coaching staff wouldn't have been stupid enough to throw out a rookie who can't play - They'd have sat him for every down and BB could get away with that. But the idea that Jones would have sucked here is laughable. We have seen this offence function well with below average to average QB play. It's been Wilson's exceptional brand of awful that has held the group back and going by the players/coaches' comments the locker room was well aware of that.

• Sympathy 1

I blame it on the internet ... there were a bunch of guys that wanted fields ... they want to look smart.

Next i blame it on the irrational Joe Burrow comparrisons.

Next i blame it on the inane Mac Jones looks the part criwd ... though even at 52 id look the part in NE.

Next i blame some weird cult that seems to hate his religion.

Next i blame the strange group fascinated with his mom.

Next i blame the fun loving crazies that think Mike White is the savior.

Its all about small groups i-banding together to collectively and virtually beat their chests..... sad.

... all this and the fact that people have waited 10 plus years for competative football and have losr their patience with the team.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Warfish said:

Interesting.

So the league, led by Buffalo, will "catch up" to Mac Jones, and his quality of play/production will decline over time.

But Zach Wilson will improve, and produce more, and the league (also led by our div. rival Bills) will not "catch up" to him in the same way?

:-k

I'll be honest, I'm very much looking forward to seeing how Zach does against the Bills on Jan. 9th.  It'll likely be a completely meaningless game for both sides (with Buffalo likely sitting starters), sadly, but even so, it will be interesting. 

It's opposite land. QBs who start well will "get figured out" while QBs who start terribly will "figure it out."

5 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I blame it on the internet ... there were a bunch of guys that wanted fields emoji1787.png ... they want to look smart.

Next i blme it on the ireational Joe Burrow comparrisons.

Next i blame it on the inane Mac Jones looks the part criwd ... thpugh even at 52 id look the part in NE.

Next i blame some weird cult that seems to hate his religion.

Next i blame the strange group fascinated with his mom.

Next i blame the fun loving crazies that think Mike White is the savior.

Its all about small groups i-banding together to collectively and virtually beat their chests..... sad.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

So basically, it's everyone else's fault. As usual.

On 11/30/2021 at 4:46 AM, Irish Jet said:

Really?  What would make him an outlier?  

To get better and develop given proper coaching and support? 

• Upvote 1

Have we learned nothing from Darnold? First we blamed bowles, then the o-line. Then poor weapons. Then we blamed the mother of all scapegoats - Gase. The fact is Darnold was not and never will be a franchise qb. Too many flaws: can’t read a defense, bad decision making, bad foot work, inaccurate deep ball. Zach Wilson is even worse. We can’t waste another 3 years on a garbage qb. If he doesn’t show signs of improvement by the end of the year we should be considering other options.

• Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

Have we learned nothing from Darnold? First we blamed bowles, then the o-line. Then poor weapons. Then we blamed the mother of all scapegoats - Gase. The fact is Darnold was not and never will be a franchise qb. Too many flaws: can’t read a defense, bad decision making, bad foot work, inaccurate deep ball. Zach Wilson is even worse. We can’t waste another 3 years on a garbage qb. If he doesn’t show signs of improvement by the end of the year we should be considering other options.

Welcome to JN. Keep this up and you may replace @Jetsfan80 on the top of my bromance list.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, jetlaw said:

You are revising history with Darnold. He showed promise his rookie year. Detroit, Colts, Denver, Bills, Texans, Packers. All great games he put together his rookie year throwing to literal nobodies. Plus he ended strong. 

His second year he improved significantly  in every statistical category despite mono. Comp % TDs-INts yards, wins, etc. a good second year and the progression you want to see. Do you remember how abysmal this team was that year with him out of the lineup? 

Third year he sucked and we dumped him. We literally got rid of Darnold as soon as humanly possible. Probably too soon, though it ended up being the right move. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, jgb said:

I don't think impatience is the right word, at least not for the vast majority of fans. I think skeptical is a more accurate term. There aren't many who think the Jets should give up on Wilson, but a fair amount who are sounding the alarm and hoping that JD invests some resources in the QB2 next year so prepare for a potential bust. 

As with Becton, they took the project player when maybe a safer, if less dynamic, prospect was on the board. Those that were skeptical of drafting Zach were largely skeptical because the Jets weren’t going to have  the infrastructure in place to develop a project, no matter how “talented” he might be. I think that has played out so far, and despite being afforded every available resource and every practice snap as a starter, from the start of camp until now, including an obligatory month off to “watch and learn,” he’s absolutely cratering, both in terms of his play and his confidence. He’s far enough into the season where fans should expect his arrow to be pointing up, but we’re seeing the opposite. I think even Saleh would acknowledge they screwed the pooch on whatever the development plan was, which necessitated bring John Beck in a few weeks ago (which I can’t imagine was cheap). Bottom line, we can all hope Wilson gets good, but anyone saying that he’s currently on a trajectory toward being good is simply trying too hard. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, Uncle Nicco said:

Third year he sucked and we dumped him. We literally got rid of Darnold as soon as humanly possible. Probably too soon, though it ended up being the right move. 

They should have kept Darnold one more year, traded out of 2, and let Saleh and his frat bro coaching staff get some experience. It’s been grossly unfair to Zach to subject him to this current regime and these conditions. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They should have kept Darnold one more year, traded out of 2, and let Saleh and his frat bro coaching staff get some experience. It’s been grossly unfair to Zach to subject him to this current regime and these conditions. 

Why not trade Darnold and bring in an established -- if uninspiring -- cheap vet as the learning-on-the-job sacrificial lamb?