Impending free agent Morgan Moses would “love” to remain with the Jets

Rhg1084

19 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Turned a 6 week recovery into see you next year.

Until proven otherwise,  sounds like a guy not interested in getting back to work. 

Actually  I think Saleh turned a 6 week injury into a full season due to Fant playing well and not wanting to screw with continuity but that is just my guess. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Would love to have Moses back, but don't think it's realistic.
He knows he deserves to start in this league (and be paid accordingly).
And I'm sure Moses would prefer not to compete with Fant/Becton for a starting job.

There’s not many places that Moses walks I to and starts right away without a competition. I think Douglas would give him a fair market contract and let him and Becton fight out the RT position. The only thing more important that Douglas stubbornly banking on his important draft pick is to protect his even more important draft pick. Douglas can survive the possibility of Becton busting. What he can’t survive is Becton’s busting becoming a major factor in Zach’s performance. The overall money in the Tackle positions is not that high that we can’t afford to pay a solid player like Moses the money he deserves. If Moses loses his job to Becton in TC then we immediately have the best backup Tackle in the league. And let’s be really honest, we all know there’s zero chance Becton plays a full season, so at worst Moses gets paid starter money here to play less than 17 games. It’s a no brainer for both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

There’s not many places that Moses walks I to and starts right away without a competition. I think Douglas would give him a fair market contract and let him and Becton fight out the RT position. The only thing more important that Douglas stubbornly banking on his important draft pick is the protect his even more important draft pick. Douglas can survive the possibility of Becton busting. What he can’t survive is Becton’s busting becoming a major factor in Zach’s performance. The overall money in the Tackle positions is not that high that we can’t afford to pay a solid player like Moses the money he deserves. If Moses loses his job to Becton in TC then we immediately have the best backup Tackle in the league. And let’s be really honest, we all know there’s zero chance Becton plays a full season, so at worst Moses gets paid starter money here to play less than 17 games. It’s a no brainer for both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree with this, but I feel like there's more to this than meets the eye. If Moses would love to stay with the Jets, and it's a no brainer for both sides, then why do they act like it's unlikely?

• Upvote 1

Growing up watching fball teams would prefer to have a nibble LT with lateral quickness to keep up step for step with outside speed rushers. A guy like Fant or D'Brick.  With a monster like Becton on the right side a 'bull in a China shop road grader' to clear out a path for the running game. I'd love to try Moses at RG and Becton at RT. Instant #1 running game.

Fant-AVT-McGovern-Moses-Becton. 

Can't get any better than that.

JD has to take advantage of Zack on his rookie contract. Put that extra $30/yr in the oline! I miss the Jets of '09/'10 with the #1 oline/rungame. Nothing would be better for Zack's development than this. DOIT JD!!

6 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Growing up watching fball teams would prefer to have a nibble LT with lateral quickness to keep up step for step with outside speed rushers. A guy like Fant or D'Brick.  With a monster like Becton on the right side a 'bull in a China shop road grader' to clear out a path for the running game. I'd love to try Moses at RG and Becton at RT. Instant #1 running game.

Fant-AVT-McGovern-Moses-Becton. 

Can't get any better than that.

JD has to take advantage of Zack on his rookie contract. Put that extra $30/yr in the oline! I miss the Jets of '09/'10 with the #1 oline/rungame. Nothing would be better for Zack's development than this. DOIT JD!!

Can’t get much better than our RT plying RG and our LT playing RT and not upgrading at center?

Guys, the problem with becton isn’t the injuries. It isn’t his weight. It isn’t his ability level.

It’s desire, focus and dedication. The book on him is “he taps out of plays, taps out at practice”. Coaches see this. His teammates see this. How can a coach garner the respect of the locker room when he plays a quitter over a guy like Fant who is a fighter, leader and never gives up? (Oh and he’s been excellent to boot).

The answer isn’t Becton needs to play guard/RT or he needs to come back down 20 lbs. HE NEEDS A COMPLETE ATTITUDE OVERHAUL. It’s not impossible, he’s young, you can still change your personality and habits. But it certainly isn’t likely.

My concern level went from minuscule to extremely high with Becton.

• Upvote 2

• 5 weeks later...

With Fant under contract for one more year and the continued uncertainty about Becton's desire/ability to stay healthy, I'm wondering what it would cost to bring back Moses.

A little reminder about this guy - He signed a one year deal with the Jets last June 2021, essentially betting on himself.  He apparently turned down a couple of multi-year offers from both the Washington Football Team and the Jets, opting for an incentive laden deal.  As he enters FA I think his bet will pay off as he should surely be worth more than the $3.6-5.1M (if he hit max incentives) he got last year.  He's no doubt a starting RT and can play left when needed.  But, important to remember that Moses will be 31 at the start of the 2022 season.  Not necessarily old for an OT as many of the best ones play well into their mid-30's but something to be aware of.

He played 93% of snaps last year on offense.  Committed 3 penalties and gave up 4 sacks according to PFF with a grade of 71.0.

8628114_ScreenShot2022-01-29at3_21_03PM.png.5ab016e252e82361c4836671f0aceebd.png

559618525_ScreenShot2022-01-29at3_20_05PM.png.74c27db6f95dbab0c52f15cf1d0acd08.png

Here's his compensation history...

1648580712_ScreenShot2022-01-29at3_19_34PM.png.d63e7886c4395a2665b61737d80244b3.png

As it stands now without any other players being released Jason at OTC has the following OT's listed as 2022 free agents (sorted by their current (2021) APY...

1339441651_ScreenShot2022-01-29at3_31_36PM.png.88f7c52fdb5ce76d3c11f6d95a4f2a1a.png

What do you think Moses would want?  With Fant entering his final year could the Jets offer Moses a multi-year deal again and if so, at what APY?  Personally, I'd like the idea of trying to lock up Moses at RT for something like 3 yrs/$16M.  Something with little to no Dead Cap in Year 3 that gives the Jets an option to easily release him if they've found a replacement.  It would allow the Jets to "set and forget" the RT spot and then see what happens with Becton (continued uncertainty) and Fant (one-year left) at LT.  We also shouldn't forget that AVT is a potential emergency LT.  Vera-Tucker started at LT for USC his senior season.  He's a Pro Bowl caliber LG, but because of his feet he can play LT without a problem.  Most people cite his arm length as one of the only boxes that he doesn't check when looking for an ideal LT.  

• Upvote 2

On 12/30/2021 at 10:16 AM, Bronx said:

I would trade Becton or make him a floater.  He has proven to be inconsistent and an injury prone person. I feel that he is more of a liability at this point in time and he is not prepared for his duties. I think Saleh trust Becton as much as Mims.

I think they should give Becton one more year to see if he can get himself on track. He is still on his rookie contract, so he is affordable. If he doesn't get his act together by the season's end, then bye-bye.

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

What do you think Moses would want?  With Fant entering his final year could the Jets offer Moses a multi-year deal again and if so, at what APY?  Personally, I'd like the idea of trying to lock up Moses at RT for something like 3 yrs/$16M.  Something with little to no Dead Cap in Year 3 that gives the Jets an option to easily release him if they've found a replacement.  It would allow the Jets to "set and forget" the RT spot and then see what happens with Becton (continued uncertainty) and Fant (one-year left) at LT.  We also shouldn't forget that AVT is a potential emergency LT.  Vera-Tucker started at LT for USC his senior season.  He's a Pro Bowl caliber LG, but because of his feet he can play LT without a problem.  Most people cite his arm length as one of the only boxes that he doesn't check when looking for an ideal LT.  

I am not sure we can give Moses what he wants.  I would think he wants to go somewhere as the presumed starter.  Here, if healthy, Becton and Fant would be our starters.  I would love to keep him, but I am assuming he is gone and there will be little we will can do to retain him.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am not sure we can give Moses what he wants.  I would think he wants to go somewhere as the presumed starter.  Here, if healthy, Becton and Fant would be our starters.  I would love to keep him, but I am assuming he is gone and there will be little we will can do to retain him.

Agreed

I’d love to keep Moses, but the guy is most likely going to ask for $10+ million a year and dollars to donuts some team is going to give it to him. He’s been a rock at RT for pretty much his entire career.

I’d bet on Fant and Becton being the starting OT’s and the Jets drafting someone in the 3rd/4th round to be a developmental swing tackle.

A dude like Nick Broeker out of Ole Miss fits the bill to a tee IMO. Especially in this wide zone scheme.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Very likely.  However, if he DOES sign here that might say a lot about his perception that he'll play quite a bit... which is a subtle commentary on his view of Becton.

I like Moses but he seems like a luxury on this team. I’d rather they spend money on a free agent RG and possibly extending Fant and/or McGovern. Douglas may have to dump a lot of money into the line this off-season unless he plans on taking oline @4. Should be interesting!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lith said:

Disagree. Becton should not be handed the starting RT spot based on his draft position Just like with Fant at LT Moses has earned the privilege of being the starting RT. Becton will need to beat out the incumbent Moses if he wants to be a starting RT or learn to play RG 

Fant AVT McGovern, Becton, Moses can be a dominant o line 

• Sympathy 1

On 12/30/2021 at 7:31 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Moses said from the custodian on up, this is a first class organization.  That wasnt true 2 years ago.

Joe Douglas changed the whole thing.  The firing of adam gase was the end if the pathetic jets as we knew them.

Jet fans need to stop sh!tting on this organization and open their eyes to whats actually taking place.

It took awhile butWoody got it.  He found the right guy and got out of the way.  This is the start of the glory years for this franchise.

Get on board now!!!  Dont be left behind and miserable.

This is 4th dimension trolling.  It’s like I’m staring straight ahead with a tremendous decision to make image.jpeg.861766e196be79c07ab5bab372968288.jpeg

13 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I like Moses but he seems like a luxury on this team. I’d rather they spend money on a free agent RG and possibly extending Fant and/or McGovern. Douglas may have to dump a lot of money into the line this off-season unless he plans on taking oline @4. Should be interesting!

I’d gladly hand Moses $8M/year just to avoid drafting yet another OL in the first round, as some folks here want to do. Gives the Jets three solid tackles and, given Becton’s injury history thus far, that’s the number they need. Resign LDT to play RG, or bring in a perceived improvement, and be done with the OL before the draft begins. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

37 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

924F84BC-03A0-4F0C-9A15-9DFD7992A5E4.thumb.jpeg.78de85fbef052fa3aaa3f9ae8a9a431f.jpeg

Saying all the right things, but lets see what he does when a contender offers him a chance to start and a similar contract as the Jets.  You always learn eventually what players are thinking based on what they do, moreso than what they say.

I would love to see us keep him, but I still think it is a longshot, regardless of what he says.

• Upvote 1

On 12/31/2021 at 12:34 PM, Snell41 said:

There’s not many places that Moses walks I to and starts right away without a competition. I think Douglas would give him a fair market contract and let him and Becton fight out the RT position. The only thing more important that Douglas stubbornly banking on his important draft pick is to protect his even more important draft pick. Douglas can survive the possibility of Becton busting. What he can’t survive is Becton’s busting becoming a major factor in Zach’s performance. The overall money in the Tackle positions is not that high that we can’t afford to pay a solid player like Moses the money he deserves. If Moses loses his job to Becton in TC then we immediately have the best backup Tackle in the league. And let’s be really honest, we all know there’s zero chance Becton plays a full season, so at worst Moses gets paid starter money here to play less than 17 games. It’s a no brainer for both sides.

I think he will pay Moses.  It really is a good position.  You have Fant start on LT, and Moses start at RT.  IF Becton comes back and beats one out, great.  If Becton stays healthy, great.  If he doesn't, you have Fant to play LT if that is where Becton is, and you have Moses if Becton is playing RT.  Flipside, if Becton doesn't beat either out, you have Becton to play either position of there is an injury.  

I just don't see them taking an Olineman in the first round like so many are wishing for.  If they haven't given up on Becton internally, they just won't.  They give him this year, and if he doesn't show enough, THEN you start looking at drafting the position.  

Everyone keeps talking about how we will try and trade out of 10.  With potential trade targets like Pittsburgh and Tampa now with Ben and Brady both retiring, plus other lower teams needing QB's, #4 might be where they want to move up to in order to draft one.  We say this QB class is not as strong, but EVERY year a QB shoots up the ranks.  Its a given considering the importance placed on the position.