Matt Rhule makes excuse for passing on OT Slater in Draft by taking veiled shot at his own quarterbacks

17 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

You could tell from that hilarious season-end press conference where he explained the decision to pickup Darnold's 5th year option last offseason - he's not the accountable type. 

In fairness it would be difficult to be "accountable" for things that weren't your decision. Some guys will fall on the sword but if -- for instance -- Rhule didn't want Darnold I can see how it would be frustrating and difficult to "take the blame" for that terrible trade.

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

To be fair, a lot of people here were clamoring for him when Gase was hired and acting like he was this can’t-miss, soon-to-be great, NFL HC. 

Exactly. You can’t ignore the connection to the Jets here.

Rhule was in the building and almost hired as the Jets coach. He traded for last year‘s Jets starting quarterback. OT Slater was under heavy consideration for the Jets along with AVT in Rd 1 of last year‘s draft. And, former Jet Damien Woody is the reason I even noticed this tweet.

The idea that this has no association to the Jets is silly.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

In fairness it would be difficult to be "accountable" for things that weren't your decision. Some guys will fall on the sword but if -- for instance -- Rhule didn't want Darnold I can see how it would be frustrating and difficult to "take the blame" for that terrible trade.

Rhule is on a 7 year 62 million dollar deal, I'm betting he was a big part of that Darnold decision. 

3 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Rhule is on a 7 year 62 million dollar deal, I'm betting he was a big part of that Darnold decision. 

so at the end of the year when he gets let go - he will have lobster and champagne for his coach's sendoff instead of pizza and beer. 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Rhule had final say on all personnel decisions in Carolina. He wanted Darnold. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Probably. The owner is clearly hands-on and impatient, though, which is one step away from meddlesome.

I believe "I didn't pay 2 billion dollars to watch Teddy Bridgewater" was an off record quote attributed to him so I absolutley don't put it past Tepper (who is BY FAR the richest NFL owner -- Rhule's contract is chump change to him) to step in and tell them to go get Darnold.

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

Probably. The owner is clearly hands-on and impatient, though, which is one step away from meddlesome.

I believe "I didn't pay 2 billion dollars to watch Teddy Bridgewater" was an off record quote attributed to him so I absolutley don't put it past Tepper *(who is BY FAR the richest NFL owner -- Rhule's contract is chump change to him -- to step in and tell them to go get Darnold.

I hear you, but I don't think this happened. 

The word is Rhule was a big Darnold guy.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Trotter said:

we will see what ends up happening with Saleh, but thank God this guy either turned us down or could not agree because we would not let him pick all of his own coaches.

What a disaster and back to college by 2023.

Maybe that is why they wanted to pick his coordinators.  Easy to hate on the jets - but occassionally they get something right. Lets hope they REALLY got it right with Saleh

9 minutes ago, Darnold615 said:

Maybe that is why they wanted to pick his coordinators.  Easy to hate on the jets - but occassionally they get something right. Lets hope they REALLY got it right with Saleh

Looks like we might’ve gotten it right by avoiding Rhule (though the jury is still out). That certainly doesn’t mean Saleh is the answer though.

Some might laugh at Rhule for liking Sam Darnold but our guy Saleh loves Joe Flacco, for crying out loud!

1 hour ago, undertow said:

So now that Myer is gone we are obsessed with Matt Rhule?

There are two sub-camps on JN I find odd.

Those who seem obsessed with HIRING college coaches because they think they're the next great genius at the NFL level.

And those who seem obsessed with rooting for the failure of ex-College Coaches at the NFL level in a deeply invested kinda way.

While we do talk about non-Jets football alot, Meyer and Rhule seem to get an unusual amount of coverage (and hate) here, for two coaches completely unrelated to us or our division or even the City of NY.

And it's because of these two camps.  Some wanted desperately to hire they two.  Some want desperately for these two to fail in the most spectacular ways.

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

You could tell from that hilarious season-end press conference where he explained the decision to pickup Darnold's 5th year option last offseason - he's not the accountable type. 

He went to the Joe Judge school of handling press conferences. 

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There are two sub-camps on JN I find odd.

Those who seem obsessed with HIRING college coaches because they think they're the next great genius at the NFL level.

And those who seem obsessed with rooting for the failure of ex-College Coaches at the NFL level in a deeply invested kinda way.

While we do talk about non-Jets football alot, Meyer and Rhule seem to get an unusual amount of coverage (and hate) here, for two coaches completely unrelated to us or our division or even the City of NY.

And it's because of these two camps.  Some wanted desperately to hire they two.  Some want desperately for these two to fail in the most spectacular ways.

To me, the negativity or hatred towards Rhule, Judge and Myer is they are basically unlikeable. They have this arrogance and non honest presence about themselves which I think from a human nature perspective tends to bring negativity.

Way off the mark but you don't hear any negative comments towards Kliff Kingsbury and many here wanted him a few years ago. 

• Upvote 1