Senior Bowl notes

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

lack of attractive WR prospects could make it very hard for teams to pass on McBride in round 1 - if their evaluations match those of draft-buzz community.

McBride strikes me as a guy teams will like differently than the draft buzz community. List of guys without ideal frames or unique explosiveness who go in the first round is short. Especially at tight end. He strikes me as a prototypical day two guy.

Not saying he won’t be good, the best tight ends get drafted day two or later. That’s just how the NFL drafts. Short tight ends who have gone go in the first round were fast.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, derp said:

McBride strikes me as a guy teams will like differently than the draft buzz community. List of guys without ideal frames or unique explosiveness who go in the first round is short. Especially at tight end. He strikes me as a prototypical day two guy.

Not saying he won’t be good, the best tight ends get drafted day two or later. That’s just how the NFL drafts. Short tight ends who have gone go in the first round were fast.

I think you're gonna see very good testing numbers from McBride and a reaction to the success of a guy like Kittle or even Mark Andrews. Precise dudes that have good not great size and then speed and agility. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I think you're gonna see very good testing numbers from McBride and a reaction to the success of a guy like Kittle or even Mark Andrews. Precise dudes that have good not great size and then speed and agility. 

I guess very good is vague. Andrews was 6'5 and mid 250's at the combine, that's pretty ideal for modern football. Kittle 6'4 and ran a 4.52. Think Kittle largely fell in a more Ruckert fashion (production) and also because he had a tendency to be banged up if I remember right. 

McBride runs in the 4.5's and I could absolutely see him working his way in there. I see someone who's a tick slower than that. Could be wrong. I don't think that .1 seconds matters much in terms of him translating to the pro level but I do think it'll impact how he's perceived as a prospect.

Teams have always gone tools heavy in the first round. I think it's part of why drafting pass rushers early is important (tools are key there) and OL has a higher hit rate (easier to focus less on talent and more on being good at football).

Teams went tools heavy early and had better players going later at tight end before Kittle and Andrews. It's certainly possible they adjust but I'll believe it when I see it.

Honestly the best shot for McBride to get into the first might be the Jets sneaking up to grab him.

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Give me Zion and Ruckert in round 2. Thibs falls to 4 and Hamilton falls to 10. Superbowl 

Ruckert hasnt produced enough to use a high 2 on him. I like him and think he will be better pro.  But i rather take advantage of whatever 1st rd prospects fall into rd 2.. IE: Ejliah Moore

14 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

I get the feeling that Ruckert is going to go higher than most of us expected.

Personally, I had been hoping to get him with our 3rd rounder, but I doubt that happens now.

I can see him going in the mid-to-late 2nd round.

That's kind of where I am. If we don't land McBride in the 2nd, grab Ruckert in the 3rd.

I don't see TE as a position that shoots up draft boards, so I'm optimistic.

OL, CB, and EDGE tend to go higher than it seems like the should.... TEs don't.