Kenyon Green

Greenseed4

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Love this guy and would be thrilled if he ends up a jet. Tough sell on a 1st round guard back to back years though.

I just love the idea that we could have a player that can play LT, LG, RG, and RT. 
AVT can play LG, LT
Fant can play LT, RT
McGovern can play C, RG
Becton can play RT or ride a bike.  

The idea of finally having season-long stability at 4/5's of the OL is exciting. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

50 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

Because he's not worth #4 or #10. He's a late teens, early 20's pick. If we trade back either of our picks and can land in the 18-23 range, I'd love to have him. 

It is super weird that half of the mock draft sites have him as a top-10 player, and the other half have him in the mid-20's.s
I could see that normalizing after the combine.   

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I just love the idea that we could have a player that can play LT, LG, RG, and RT. 
AVT can play LG, LT
Fant can play LT, RT
McGovern can play C, RG
Becton can play RT or ride a bike.  

The idea of finally having season-long stability at 4/5's of the OL is exciting. 

Please post evidence of Becton being able to ride a bike.

• Haha 2

He got hyped early in the draft cycle as a possible top 10 pick and it cooled off later on. He and Ikonwu swapped in that regard in terms of trajectory. I think he’s a versatile player with upside. He’s solid, but he’s not dominant in any single aspect to me.

Like his technique is ok for the most part but he has some trouble maintaining his blocks, is not decisive all the time with identifying who he’s responsible for, and while he can move people, I wouldn’t call him a mauler who drives people out of the way, but I think he has a chance to be a solid pro. 

That being said OL drops off HARD at some point and he’s definitely in the upper tier of prospects in the class. 

Watch Charles Cross or Evan Neal or Linderbaum to see the footwork and hand placement of someone more polished on the technique side. Watch Ikonwu if you want to see ability in power and finishing blocks as if his life depends on it, while being raw at his craft. 

• Upvote 2

this would be the 4th OL predicted to go in the top 10. i wonder if there has ever been 4 OL drafted that high in one draft? 

i dont get why GMs stick to their boards. you really like someone but there projected to go between 15-20 s so you cant take him at 4 cause hes not worthy of the pick. so instead you pick someone else who is deemed to be worthy. 

Question is, if the 4 guy falls to 15 do you still take him or do you say ok great now i can take that mid rd guy.

i wonder how many drafts got destroyed with this kind of thinking.

I watched several A&M games to catch a glimpse of weydermyer, leal and green. Honestly, always came away impressed with Green, looked like defenders running into a brick wall against him.

That said, I generally agree with the overall sentiment. If you’re taking a OL with guard/tackle flexibility, it’s more likely to be Ekwonu at 4. If you go pass rusher/WR with first 2 picks, there’s a chance green may be available at the top of round 2, but highly doubt it. That said, green or Johnson at the top of rd 2 would be a home run for me.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

He got hyped early in the draft cycle as a possible top 10 pick and it cooled off later on. He and Ikonwu swapped in that regard in terms of trajectory. I think he’s a versatile player with upside. He’s solid, but he’s not dominant in any single aspect to me.

Like his technique is ok for the most part but he has some trouble maintaining his blocks, is not decisive all the time with identifying who he’s responsible for, and while he can move people, I wouldn’t call him a mauler who drives people out of the way, but I think he has a chance to be a solid pro. 

That being said OL drops off HARD at some point and he’s definitely in the upper tier of prospects in the class. 

Watch Charles Cross or Evan Neal or Linderbaum to see the footwork and hand placement of someone more polished on the technique side. Watch Ikonwu if you want to see ability in power and finishing blocks as if his life depends on it, while being raw at his craft. 

Pretty much this. If we're drafting a versatile guy who can start out at RG but may be in the long term plans at T, and not trading down, you want that to be Ekwonu, not Green. 

If we move down in the first, he may be one of the guys on our "we're ok because we'll definitely get one of these [insert relevant number] players with that pick" list

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

Pretty much this. If we're drafting a versatile guy who can start out at RG but may be in the long term plans at T, and not trading down, you want that to be Ekwonu, not Green. 

If we move down in the first, he may be one of the guys on our "we're ok because we'll definitely get one of these [insert relevant number] players with that pick" list

It’s funny you say this.  I’ve been an Ekwonu table banger until Thibodeaux started dropping in mocks. 

Supposing no trade downs are possible, and if JD truly decides to “build through the trenches” I started wondering what would be the better 1-2.   

Kayvon Thibodeaux & Kenyon Green? 

or,

Ikem Ekwonu & Jermaine Johnson? 

(Keep in mind KG has played on the right and IE hasn’t… it becomes a good question… and then JJ started going to the Giants, meaning Icky and a reach, or Icky and a 2nd rounder like Mafe)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Depends.  Does he pronounce his name "Kenyan" or "Ken-YON"?

Don't want anyone named "Ken-YON". It's annoying. Like how our Perrine says his name "PEA-rine" instead of "pereen".

Not sure I know how I feel about this until I ask; is it "Jet Enjin one" or "Jet Eeen-Jeyen uno"

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

It’s funny you say this.  I’ve been an Ekwonu table banger until Thibodeaux started dropping in mocks. 

Supposing no trade downs are possible, and if JD truly decides to “build through the trenches” I started wondering what would be the better 1-2.   

Kayvon Thibodeaux & Kenyon Green? 

or,

Ikem Ekwonu & Jermaine Johnson? 

(Keep in mind KG has played on the right and IE hasn’t… it becomes a good question… and then JJ started going to the Giants, meaning Icky and a reach, or Icky and a 2nd rounder like Mafe)

I mean if Thibs drops to 4 I think we just need to pull the trigger, but I sincerely doubt he does. The mocks that have him dropping have Hamilton, or Stingley/Gardner, or a QB jumping into the top 3 and I just don't see that happening. Even if Jacksonville takes OL at 1, I don't see Detroit and Houston not taking the DEs back to back

15 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets don’t need another first round OL. The OL is not the problem. Pass rushers and pass catchers, that’s what this team needs. 

I don’t disagree about first round OL, but disagree about OL being a problem. They still finished towards the bottom in rushing offense and sacks allowed (albeit Wilson shares a lot of blame here). The offensive scheme also covers a lot of the deficiencies of the OL by being quick rhythm passing offense and really needs to be able to rush consistently to be effective. 

In any event, there are bigger priorities on the team, but center and the whole right side of the line doesn’t really have long term answers beyond next year. It doesn’t all have to come via the draft, but a developmental prospect would be nice to have in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I don’t disagree about first round OL, but disagree about OL being a problem. They still finished towards the bottom in rushing offense and sacks allowed (albeit Wilson shares a lot of blame here). The offensive scheme also covers a lot of the deficiencies of the OL by being quick rhythm passing offense and really needs to be able to rush consistently to be effective. 

In any event, there are bigger priorities on the team, but center and the whole right side of the line doesn’t really have long term answers beyond next year. It doesn’t all have to come via the draft, but a developmental prospect would be nice to have in my opinion. 

The line was garbage the first half of the season primarily because they were adjusting to a zone blocking scheme that Mike Shanahan says takes two years to learn correctly. In the second half of the year, with LTD replacing GVR, they were much better. I know the last game of the year sticks in many people’s minds, but that was with McDermott at LT and Feeney at C against the league’s top defense. Resign LTD (or sign an upgrade) and the OL is one of the better units on the team. Bring back Moses, and you have your Becton insurance in place. They 100% do not need another first (or even second) round OL. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

The line was garbage the first half of the season primarily because they were adjusting to a zone blocking scheme that Mike Shanahan says takes two years to learn correctly. In the second half of the year, with LTD replacing GVR, they were much better. I know the last game of the year sticks in many people’s minds, but that was with McDermott at LT and Feeney at C against the league’s top defense. Resign LTD (or sign an upgrade) and the OL is one of the better units on the team. Bring back Moses, and you have your Becton insurance in place. They 100% do not need another first (or even second) round OL. 

They don't need it. But if it's the best marriage of value and need available - and this team can't take a DB high, so if the top two edge rushers are gone it will be - I expect them to do it anyway. And they can certainly use it; a player like Ekwonu would take the OL from middling to elite.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Why is this guy not getting love on JN?  He's a unanimous first-round player on all of the mock draft sites I've seen: The Draft Network (#10), Pro Football Network (#7), Mock Draft Database (#24), PFF (#24)... and he has experience playing four different positions on the OL (everything but Center).  He's (6'4, 325) 21 years old, with no injury history, and was a major reason Isaiah Spiller had the rushing stats he got this last year. 

Kenyon Green is a former 5-star recruit out of the state of Texas. Green became an immediate starter for the Aggies and has notched more than 35 starts in his three-year career. Green is an experienced starter that has played multiple positions along the offensive line—every position but center. Green has natural functional strength that he uses to become a true road grader in the run game. Offensive coordinators will find it beneficial to call run plays that follow behind Green's path. As a pass protector, Green possesses quickness that he uses to mirror defenders and become a dominant interior pass protector. Green is a versatile offensive lineman that has amassed a ton of experience throughout his career. Green has the athleticism and physical temperament to become an instant starter and a future All-Pro offensive lineman.

Ideal Role: Green can play both guard positions and RT

...and he nasty. 

That write-up seems like it was penned by his agent or his mom. If it's all true, would love him after a trade back into the late first round, or take him in the second (depending on where else we address WR, TE and Edge.)

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, doitny said:

this would be the 4th OL predicted to go in the top 10. i wonder if there has ever been 4 OL drafted that high in one draft? 

i dont get why GMs stick to their boards. you really like someone but there projected to go between 15-20 s so you cant take him at 4 cause hes not worthy of the pick. so instead you pick someone else who is deemed to be worthy. 

Question is, if the 4 guy falls to 15 do you still take him or do you say ok great now i can take that mid rd guy.

Most years there is the clear top end guys at positions of value.  

This draft seems to be an outlier.  It's lacking the top end blue chip prospects, but there will be plenty of great players taken.  It's Joe's job to find them and draft them regardless of positional value.  

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

They don't need it. But if it's the best marriage of value and need available - and this team can't take a DB high, so if the top two edge rushers are gone it will be - I expect them to do it anyway. And they can certainly use it; a player like Ekwonu would take the OL from middling to elite.

As you said, they don’t need it. Therefore, it won’t be a marriage of value and need, it would instead be a straight up BAP pick. I understand that’s something that could happen, but it would be my preference to take the top Edge on their board at #4. That would be the value and need marriage. 

The idea of taking a guard at #4 makes me nauseous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

38 minutes ago, slats said:

As you said, they don’t need it. Therefore, it won’t be a marriage of value and need, it would instead be a straight up BAP pick. I understand that’s something that could happen, but it would be my preference to take the top Edge on their board at #4. That would be the value and need marriage. 

The idea of taking a guard at #4 makes me nauseous. 

Oh, if you're taking a guy like that at for the plan is not for him to play guard long-term. The plan has to be that he is going to be one of your two tackles after a first year that he settles in at guard. The only way you deviate from that plan is if both Fant and becton play very well and also both take team-friendly deals on extensions. At that point, you can afford to keep him at guard. But if either Fant or becton doesn't play to a standard that would support a long-term contract, or either refuses to play ball at the negotiating table, you have a built-in plan. And that, of course, changes The Leverage in those contract negotiations.

13 hours ago, doitny said:

Gettleman reached and look where that got him 

• Upvote 1

I think when it's all said and done, after combine testing, drafting Jermaine Johnson at #4 is not going to be an absurd idea. 

Then depending on how the board falls, we can trade back with PHI, NO, PIT, BAL and get our IOL (whether that is Kenyon Green, Tyler Linderbaum, Trevor Penning, Zion Johnson), or WR (pick your flavor). 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Oh, if you're taking a guy like that at for the plan is not for him to play guard long-term. The plan has to be that he is going to be one of your two tackles after a first year that he settles in at guard. The only way you deviate from that plan is if both Fant and becton play very well and also both take team-friendly deals on extensions. At that point, you can afford to keep him at guard. But if either Fant or becton doesn't play to a standard that would support a long-term contract, or either refuses to play ball at the negotiating table, you have a built-in plan. And that, of course, changes The Leverage in those contract negotiations.

They’re supposedly in extension talks with Fant now, and Becton’s under contract for two more years before his fifth year option. So you’re talking about taking a guy who’ll play guard for two years, depending on Becton. I get being concerned about Becton, and he’s the wild card, but the fourth pick in the draft is not the type of asset you use on insurance. Do everything you can to resign Moses, too, if you’re not sure about Becton, don’t use the fourth pick in the draft for a guard maybe someday tackle. 

Like I said, I fear OT being the BAP pick, but if they have their third Edge rated near the top OL, they should 100% take the Edge. That’s where you’d be getting the most value and bang for the pick. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, slats said:

They’re supposedly in extension talks with Fant now, and Becton’s under contract for two more years before his fifth year option. So you’re talking about taking a guy who’ll play guard for two years, depending on Becton. I get being concerned about Becton, and he’s the wild card, but the fourth pick in the draft is not the type of asset you use on insurance. Do everything you can to resign Moses, too, if you’re not sure about Becton, don’t use the fourth pick in the draft for a guard maybe someday tackle. 

Like I said, I fear OT being the BAP pick, but if they have their third Edge rated near the top OL, they should 100% take the Edge. That’s where you’d be getting the most value and bang for the pick. 

"Extension talks" is great but unless Fant has signed on the dotted line by draft day they'd better be planning for him to not sign

• Upvote 1

I haven't looked to much into this guy. I like Zion Johnson from BC. But I'm not even interested in drafting him. 

We shouldn't target guys who'll give Wilson the ability to have a second longer in the pocket aka a pass blocker. Instead we should target someone who'll enable him to release the football a split second earlier aka a pass catcher. Give Wilson all the time he needs, combine with his deficiency and lack of pass target getting open and the result will be disastrous still.

The OL last season was not the problem in the 2nd half of the year. Entering 2022 with some continuity along the unit should give us faith that they'll hold up. 

• Upvote 1