JETS RB Draft Prospects (the pre-combine edition)

Paradis

18 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Most of this exists in the draft forum, but I realize for some of you Capulets, that's like heading over to the Montague mansion... 

FTR: I believe the Jets OFFSEASON plan is-- 

1. M. Carter
  2. System veteran like J. Wilson, J. McKinnon, maybe even M. Gordon
  3. The usual list of JAGs to compete in TC for 1 spot (Johnson, Walter etc)
  4. DRAFT, likely a day 3 guy

Consensus top 5 names (none of whom the Jets will draft)

• Breece Hall (Iowa St) - Overrated imo. Fournette like, needs blocking and momentum. Big, but poor contact balance. 
  • Isiah Spiller (TAMU) - Best natural talent at RB in the draft. LT type runner. Don't be surprised if BUF takes him in Rnd 1
  • K. Walker III (mich st) - Plays hard, and sick change of direction - however some of it won't translate, I think he's athletically limited.
  • B. Robinson (Alabama) - seems to have "slipped" in mileage with draft media, but I'd wager he's still well ranked among teams. Good day 2 complete back.
  • K. Williams (ND) - very low risk 3 down back in the ilk of Miles Sanders or Lamar Miller. I'd sooner take him in rnd 3 than Hall or Walker in rnd 2. 

Wild Card -- James Cook. A+ complimentary back, fits our need but his late season run may have propelled him in mid day 2 consideration.

NOW... Some RBs whom the Jets MAY/SHOULD consider in hopes of that guy ascending into that 1B role next to Carter

• Pierre Strong Jr (SD State, RND 4-5)... Reminds me of a lesser D. McFadden, the way he's glides through tacklers and accelerates. Rnd 4-5 guy. Love the value

• Tyrion Davis-Price (LSU, RND 4)... I'm afraid to jinx this because he is flying way to low under the radar. 6'1, 225, nimble like the recently draft NE Running Back R. Stevenson, he has receiver soft hands, packs a load and is generally a very instinctive runner... Basically this dude is the PERFECT compliment to Michael Carter... I'm afraid someone will take him in Rnd 3... he won't be a secret for much longer

• Bryant Koback (Toledo, RND 6-UDFA)... if Koback was more athletically gifted, pretty sure he'd be a big deal.. He's probably one of the more realistic options for the Jets since he's a late round guy or priority FA... but, remember the name.  (*no combine invite :( )  

• John Lovett (Baylor/PSU, UDFA)... I guess I'll die on this hill. I LOVE his slash & dash style - and would fit our offense beautifully. Reminds me of Arian Foster. He had momentum at Baylor, but opted to transfer to PSU for his last year of eligibility and was completely lost in the shuffle. Wasn't a great fit.. And now he's right off the radar. No All star games, combines etc. Here's hoping for an UDFA signing

Other names--

• D'vonte Price (FIU) - a popular "small school" name, and he's a rumbler for sure... but I'm worried the hype is now writing checks he can't cash
  • Tyler Badie (mizzou) - A Carter clone. Underappreciated, but potentially redundant on the Jets
  • Greg Bell (SDSU) - Like Koback, a good read/cut/rip back, with limited athletic ability

Love it when you show your awesome versatility.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

K. Walker III (mich st) - Plays hard, and sick change of direction - however some of it won't translate, I think he's athletically limited.

A bit surprised with your take on Walker III.

To me he has a great combination of size, speed and athleticism that separate him from a most other RBs in the draft. I see it translating quite well to the NFL, in almost any system. With his elusiveness and uncanny vision he can be a playmaker at the next level. And it would be one thing if he was particularly slight or diminutive or slow that would hinder his upside at the next level. But he's none of those things. And like you said, he plays hard. He's not afraid of contact. While I realize the Jets won't be looking to draft a RB early, he would actually be a great fit on the Jets with MC. 

I guess we'll see how he does in the combine but he passes the eye test as one of the most talented backs in the country and his production backs it up. 

I like Spiller a lot. He is the most balanced RB in the draft. You can draft him and he would be your RB1 right off the bat and do everything you need him to. But he's not the playmaker Walker III is. He's not as explosive, doesn't have the same burst and I would wager is not as fast. Just a different type of RB. To me, those guys are 1A, 1B.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Paradis.  I love these threads where you share some of your observations on smaller schoollate round guys.  Especially when you do it a few weeks ahead of our  mock draft. 

But then, I feel bad if I decide to trade up and steal one of your guys from you.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Lith said:

Thanks, Paradis.  I love these threads where you share some of your observations on smaller schoollate round guys.  Especially when you do it a few weeks ahead of our  mock draft

But then, I feel bad if I decide to trade up and steal one of your guys from you.

When are you thinking of having the Jets lottery and picking the teams, end of March?

28 minutes ago, section314 said:

When are you thinking of having the Jets lottery and picking the teams, end of March?

Probably.  Have not touched base with the other guys yet, but we usually start the draft about two weeks after Free Agency to allow for the bulk of player movement.  Which puts us right around March 30.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Jerome Ford
Rachaad White
Hasaan Haskins

7 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Rachaad White and Tyler Allgeier are two day 3 guys I'll be interesting in. I like Breece Hall but I'll shy away from using a 2nd rounder on a RB due to the amount of holes we have. Tyler Goodson is another day 3 or URFA we should key on. 

I wasn't big on R White, but i've come around some. He looked good at the SB. Kerryon Johnson without the shattered knees... 

Ultimately, if doesn't test poorly, I think someone will fall in love with him and he'll be gone before Rnd 4, so i didn't include him on the list. As for Ford, Allgeier - i don't think either are NFL talents and Haskins is meh.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

A bit surprised with your take on Walker III.

I like Spiller a lot. He is the most balanced RB in the draft. You can draft him and he would be your RB1 right off the bat and do everything you need him to. But he's not the playmaker Walker III is. He's not as explosive, doesn't have the same burst and I would wager is not as fast. Just a different type of RB. To me, those guys are 1A, 1B.

I've seen you shower him with praise, so i expected this lol... i'll admit to not laboring over his games being that we're highly unlikely to be in the market for a back when his name gets called in round 2/3... however, my assessment is you have a distorted/inflated sense of his "explosiveness" and "burst"... i wouldn't use either of those to describe him. He runs like a bat out hell though, and i think you're gushing over that attribute. *shrugs* 

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

Most of this exists in the draft forum, but I realize for some of you Capulets, that's like heading over to the Montague mansion... 

1. M. Carter

• Breece Hall (Iowa St) - Overrated imo. Fournette like, needs blocking and momentum. Big, but poor contact balance. 
  • Isiah Spiller (TAMU) - Best natural talent at RB in the draft. LT type runner. Don't be surprised if BUF takes him in Rnd 1
  • K. Walker III (mich st) - Plays hard, and sick change of direction - however some of it won't translate, I think he's athletically limited.
  • B. Robinson (Alabama) - seems to have "slipped" in mileage with draft media, but I'd wager he's still well ranked among teams. Good day 2 complete back.
  • K. Williams (ND) - very low risk 3 down back in the ilk of Miles Sanders or Lamar Miller. I'd sooner take him in rnd 3 than Hall or Walker in rnd 2. 

Wild Card -- James Cook. A+ complimentary back, fits our need but his late season run may have propelled him in mid day 2 consideration.

NOW... Some RBs whom the Jets MAY/SHOULD consider in hopes of that guy ascending into that 1B role next to Carter

• Pierre Strong Jr (SD State, RND 4-5)... Reminds me of a lesser D. McFadden, the way he's glides through tacklers and accelerates. Rnd 4-5 guy. Love the value

• Tyrion Davis-Price (LSU, RND 4)... I'm afraid to jinx this because he is flying way to low under the radar. 6'1, 225, nimble like the recently draft NE Running Back R. Stevenson, he has receiver soft hands, packs a load and is generally a very instinctive runner... Basically this dude is the PERFECT compliment to Michael Carter... I'm afraid someone will take him in Rnd 3... he won't be a secret for much longer

• Bryant Koback (Toledo, RND 6-UDFA)... if Koback was more athletically gifted, pretty sure he'd be a big deal.. He's probably one of the more realistic options for the Jets since he's a late round guy or priority FA... but, remember the name.  (*no combine invite :( )  

• John Lovett (Baylor/PSU, UDFA)... I guess I'll die on this hill. I LOVE his slash & dash style - and would fit our offense beautifully. Reminds me of Arian Foster. He had momentum at Baylor, but opted to transfer to PSU for his last year of eligibility and was completely lost in the shuffle. Wasn't a great fit.. And now he's right off the radar. No All star games, combines etc. Here's hoping for an UDFA signing

Other names--

• D'vonte Price (FIU) - a popular "small school" name, and he's a rumbler for sure... but I'm worried the hype is now writing checks he can't cash
  • Tyler Badie (mizzou) - A Carter clone. Underappreciated, but potentially redundant on the Jets
  • Greg Bell (SDSU) - Like Koback, a good read/cut/rip back, with limited athletic ability

Just curious, but how deep did you dive into Kyren Williams?  

I'm obviously biased towards him, but what made you think he's only a third down back?

His size?  

I thought he was small and shifty, but lacked the break away speed entering his sophomore (RS Freshman) year.

Then I watched him run away from Clemson, North Carolina, and Bama defenses.  His long speed shows up on the field. 

His stiff arm is Henry-lite, his patience rivals prime Bell, and some of his shifty moves and balance remind me of Barry Sanders.   He has good hands and his pass pro is next level.

Obviously he's not those players, but the kid seems to have it all to my untrained eye.

I see him as an RB 1a or RB 1b.  

Definitely a starter and playmaker in a rotation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I wasn't big on R White, but i've come around some. He looked good at the SB. Kerryon Johnson without the shattered knees... 

Ultimately, if doesn't test poorly, I think someone will fall in love with him and he'll be gone before Rnd 4, so i didn't include him on the list. As for Ford, Allgeier - i don't think either are NFL talents and Haskins is meh.  

There's nothing special about him as a prospect. He just a one cut runner similar to Tevin Coleman. Showed to have solid hands coming out the back field. He has a solid frame at 6'2, 210 lbs but I didn't get a chance to see him pass block. He's a guy that should run a 4.5 40 time. 

That's a rough critique on Ford and Allgeier. But factually speaking, majority of these prospects will fail so there's a better chance of you being right then wrong. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Just curious, but how deep did you dive into Kyren Williams?  

I'm obviously biased towards him, but what made you think he's only a third down back?

His size?  

I thought he was small and shifty, but lacked the break away speed entering his sophomore (RS Freshman) year.

Then I watched him run away from Clemson, North Carolina, and Bama defenses.  His long speed shows up on the field. 

His stiff arm is Henry-lite, his patience rivals prime Bell, and some of his shifty moves and balance remind me of Barry Sanders.   He has good hands and his pass pro is next level.

Obviously he's not those players, but the kid seems to have it all to my untrained eye.

I see him as an RB 1a or RB 1b.  

Definitely a starter and playmaker in a rotation. 

re-read it, i said 3 down back - not 3rd down back. :)  

Bit wordy, i get it. But we're on the same page.

• Upvote 1

I really like James Cook, now I am a bit biased because I wanted his brother a lot in that draft year and dumbo GM passed on him

His style is a lot like Dalvins running wise and pass catching wise, some may say he is too much like we have in Carter but Cook is a good player.

As far as the vet fa jags you listed, McKinnon looked really good for Frisco this year.  Ran hard all the time, max effort, certainly better than the back up guys we presently have.

I am not interested in any of the higher profile early picks in this draft.

If we do not take Cook get me the back that most resembles AJ Dillon from the packers, a north south smashing big body back.  He really helped the packers a lot last year and was the perfect compliment to aaron jones.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Paradis said:

re-read it, i said 3 down back - not 3rd down back. :)  

Bit wordy, i get it. But we're on the same page.

My bad.  

I'm not a talent evaluator, but I love this kid and just wanted my feelings confirmed by a better eye than mine.

I hope we come away with either Williams or Cook to pair with Carter. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

My bad.  

I'm not a talent evaluator, but I love this kid and just wanted my feelings confirmed by a better eye than mine.

I hope we come away with either Williams or Cook to pair with Carter. 

I don't think he makes out of day 2. A quick glance across the league says there's about 6-7 teams in need major talent infusion at the position... and although i highlighted a few interesting Day 3 names, I would imagine these NFL GMs will be looking Williams way long before JD would consider selecting another back. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

You really think Badie is a carter clone? I watched a few games of his and he seems like a very quick scat back. I don’t really view carter in that way even though they are the same height/weight. He just seems so quick rushing and receiving. If he gets past the line then he’s gone. Fantastic at YAC. Carter seems more like a traditional back and has great vision and patience 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

1. M. Carter

Other names--

michel cater  is good powerful but its whats behind em can thwy draft good back up

1. M. Carter

[/url]  

Other names--

The perfect complement to MC is THE JOSH ADAMS?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

7 hours ago, BurntDice said:

You really think Badie is a carter clone? I watched a few games of his and he seems like a very quick scat back. I don’t really view carter in that way even though they are the same height/weight. He just seems so quick rushing and receiving. If he gets past the line then he’s gone. Fantastic at YAC. Carter seems more like a traditional back and has great vision and patience 

Oh yea, mos def. Might be a more accomplished receiver, but all things considering, watch the tape side by side. It's not a diss, i really liked Carter last year, and I like Badie too... But like comparing him to say Davis-Price? The latter opens up new wrinkles and options. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

1. M. Carter

Other names--

Good stuff.  I also like Tyler Badie and Sincere McCormick.  I think both would do well in this offense.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

1. M. Carter

Other names--

Just saw you have Badie on your "other" names and while he would be redundant, it feels like SF had 3 backs during their SB run who had similar styles.  Wouldn't rule him out.

11 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

That's a rough critique on Ford and Allgeier. But factually speaking, majority of these prospects will fail so there's a better chance of you being right then wrong. 

Sorry, wasn't trying to be crass about it. I think Ford only gets what's blocked. Like Jemar Jefferson, I don't see a future for him. I think Allgeier fans love the idea more than the player. He has some sexy runs, but in between are long stretches of falling forward for 2. I don't think he has pro-level vision/instinct - but that's just me. You're chasing the next Ryan Torain with him. 

Great write up - appreciate the work.

Tyrion Davis Price seems very interesting and isnt someone I had heard much about.  Im personally in favor of a bigger back because I simply dont think ZW will be able to make enough of a leap to start hanging with the KC's of the world 45-40.  I think building a strong running game, similar to SF, is the best way to be able to compete in the short term and with the north east weather, Id love to see us with a bigger, tough RB for those late december games.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

1. M. Carter

Other names--

i dont know enough about him, but PFF said that the Texas A&M kid was going to run slow at the combine...and that he is basically a mid round pick.

i have seen the michigan state guy play, i think he is a fringe first rounder.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Funny I śaw a 3 round mock where the Jets grab Breece Hall in the 3rd, who they had going off as the 2nd RB taken, after Walker

I personally don't believe the Jets will be burning day 2 picks on a RB. Like, highly unlikely. Any of those guys going in the 3rd wouldn't' be a shocker. None of them are true 1st round talents.

1 hour ago, k-met57 said:

i dont know enough about him, but PFF said that the Texas A&M kid was going to run slow at the combine...and that he is basically a mid round pick.

i have seen the michigan state guy play, i think he is a fringe first rounder.

Sure, if he runs slow this week, he would become a round 3 guy.  From a round 2. None of them are "Special" though Spiller is the best/balanced/natural of the group... But like i said, outside of saturdays, I didn't spend a ton of time watching these guys. they're all likely to be gone before round 4 and thus, don't have the time/interest. Not going to be Jets. 

• Upvote 2