These things don't go together- Trey Burks

1 hour ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I wanted DK Metcalf at 3 over QW and people mocked....MOCKED me!! ? 

I think Burk is a bigger Deebo, better than London (who will run a 4.7... if he does run a 40) and the second best WR in the draft behind G. Wilson. 

New Zealand Boom GIF by beIN SPORTS APAC

I'd also put him behind a healthy Jameson Williams, but agreed.

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Good:

The Ugly:

image.png.920041e845ae6239dd40d1d0dd99ce2a.png

Very confusing, kid looks fast af on the field, and then had a bad day at the combine.

Personally,  I like him. I would LOVE him at 10 if Wilson is gone. I think he's way better than London (who had future Amazon drivers draped all over him on every catch), and would be a perfect complement to Davis/Moore  etc.

Thoughts?

The interesting thing with Burks is - vs Alabama he played great and was timed in MPH, in that game, as something absurdly fast. It did not show up in combine testing though? 

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is the horrific RAS graph of the notoriously unathletic slug DeAndre Hopkins.

4767E37E-B0FA-4FD2-A25D-BDCD3F2DBD8C.png

I don't even know what to say about D Hop. Clearly a beast. Clearly did not test well athletically. Outlier?

Ultra slow Davante Adams

FBED6769-9A2B-4329-B9D9-571330EE7F3E.png

The laughable and putris RAS graph for unproductive turd Cooper Kupp

9481D057-8056-4ADB-96EB-F2D1A012961B.png

And then there's these two. Quite possibly two of the best route runners in the league.

• Kupp's three cone was excellent, especially his pro day one. It shows up in his ability to separate easily
  • Adams vert is excellent, 3 cone is solid AF and his 40 is also competitive

RAS in totality? Yea I think it can be misleading. But there is usually something in the specific tests that can show you how they win?

But what's weird about Burks - on tape he looked like he was just a dope athlete that beat everyone with his size/speed combo. I'm sure draft forum posters could elaborate, but it doesn't seem to me like he's some great route runner, right?

Seems like he wins with athleticism... but didn't test like an elite athlete?

I don't think it disqualifies him, but it's certainly fair to knock a guy down the board when the tape doesn't match the athletic profile. Whether it's Travon Walker and his ridiculous combine pumping him up or Burks and his poor combine not matching his tape, it seems reasonable to be like "WTF?"

Whereas a dude like Garrett Wilson? He played fast at Ohio State and then ran fast at the combine. Wouldn't it just be wiser to take Wilson over Burks?

I'm just confused on Burks, he seems to win with athleticism, but tests as a pedestrian athlete (in WR terms).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I wanted DK Metcalf at 3 over QW and people mocked....MOCKED me!! ? 

I think Burk is a bigger Deebo, better than London (who will run a 4.7... if he does run a 40) and the second best WR in the draft behind G. Wilson. 

New Zealand Boom GIF by beIN SPORTS APAC

Burks is the one guy I have hoped all along that they would draft; he's also the one I fully expect to watch go to another team. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Good:

The Ugly:

Very confusing, kid looks fast af on the field, and then had a bad day at the combine.

Personally,  I like him. I would LOVE him at 10 if Wilson is gone. I think he's way better than London (who had future Amazon drivers draped all over him on every catch), and would be a perfect complement to Davis/Moore  etc.

Thoughts?

Yes. I said this as the combine was airing. The kid runs away from DBs, doesn’t get tackled by the first guy, can go up and win contested catches. 

id be happy with Burks 

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I loved Burks initially and have softened on him over time but as the draft gets closer I’m going back to my initial instincts. Burks just make plays and does it after the catch regularly. 

I tried to get myself to like London because he’s a big WR and was a captain at USC which I know JD covets…but Burks is just so much better for this offense- he’s a YAC machine and he really does a good job gettin his body in position in front of DBs whereas London seems to win off pure skill and high pointing ball - which I think is less sustainable in NFL. 

Garrett Wilson has the highest floor and I fall back to him bc he’s the safest. But if I’m trying to hit a home run I think Burks is that dude. London is 3rd on my list now. 

I concur with all of this.

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Good:

The Ugly:

Thoughts?

I was starting to laugh at the idea the kid was going to run a 4.3, but watching the highlights he does look really fast on the field.  Some of those DBs he’s pulling away from run <4.5s I bet.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, KRL said:

Some people "play faster" than they test.  Anquan Boldin was one and he had a great career:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoldAn00.htm

Anquan Bolden was one heck of a player.  Tough as nails too.  I remember when the Jets' secondary hit him so hard that they broke bones in his face on (IIRC) a TD catch.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Be_a_Jet said:

I loved Burks initially and have softened on him over time but as the draft gets closer I’m going back to my initial instincts. Burks just make plays and does it after the catch regularly. 

I tried to get myself to like London because he’s a big WR and was a captain at USC which I know JD covets…but Burks is just so much better for this offense- he’s a YAC machine and he really does a good job gettin his body in position in front of DBs whereas London seems to win off pure skill and high pointing ball - which I think is less sustainable in NFL. 

Garrett Wilson has the highest floor and I fall back to him bc he’s the safest. But if I’m trying to hit a home run I think Burks is that dude. London is 3rd on my list now. 

Guys I’d take over London, for starters: Wilson, Burks, Olave, Williams. London just looks slow on tape. I see him being a moderately better JJ Arcega Whiteside. 

11 hours ago, genot said:

I think you're right. Probably oversold Pickens. I do feel he's more of a big play threat and better route runner than Burks. Problem with Pickens is he's missed a bunch of games the last two years. Good choice in the 2nd rd, if we double dip. 

a lot of people see WR1 upside in him, i don't blame you for thinking he could be good. its def a gamble though.

13 hours ago, Jetworks said:

Burks is the one guy I have hoped all along that they would draft; he's also the one I fully expect to watch go to another team. 

Jets seem to 'like' him. I heard they were at his pro day, then immediately scheduled a meeting with him right after. Burks has tweeted after the combine that he loves the Jets and would love to be a Jet...or something to that extent. But take that with a grain of salt. Any WR would probably say that cuz the Jets hold two top 10 picks. 

To me, Burks is the kind of guy the Jets might actually really like and trade up for from Rd. 2 into mid to late rd. 1. HOWEVER, I do not see JD drafting him with one of his top 10 picks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Anquan Bolden was one heck of a player.  Tough as nails too.  I remember when the Jets' secondary hit him so hard that they broke bones in his face on (IIRC) a TD catch.  

Eric Smith broke his face. He didn't drop the ball 

18 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

The Good:

The Ugly:

Thoughts?

What need explaining, @92ShaunEllis92?

19 hours ago, genot said:

If it wasn't for the medical red flags Jamison Williams and George Pickens are by far the two best receivers in this draft  If Douglas is confident that both can return at %100, that's who we would trade up for.

Look at the teams Williams and Pickens played on , then look at Arkansas. Put Burks on Bama or Georgia and the narrative would be how can we not draft him #4. I think the Jets nab him with their #10 pick and I'd extremely happy. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Look at the teams Williams and Pickens played on , then look at Arkansas. Put Burks on Bama or Georgia and the narrative would be how can we not draft him #4. I think the Jets nab him with their #10 pick and I'd extremely happy. 

I'm not knocking Burks. Good WR. I think he's more of a possession type receiver. Not as much of a big play guy as Pickens and Williams  could be.

7 minutes ago, genot said:

I'm not knocking Burks. Good WR. I think he's more of a possession type receiver. Not as much of a big play guy as Pickens and Williams  could be.

The thing with Burks is he can be used all over the field as a WR. Guys like Pickens and Williams are more stretch the filed outside type receivers , while we need that type of guy I feel the versatility that Burks can bring in our offense makes him a more logical choice.