Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

1 minute ago, JTJet said:

I would agree that a ton of my fav films flopped in theaters.

But those are our personal opinions. Im talking about the general consensus, of which seems to be that a gigantic swath of people A - Didnt see it, and B - Dont care to see it in the future. 

All films are unlikely to do do well in theaters unless they're a Marvel Franchise, or are a preexisting IP that's popular. 

King Richard did flop, but it was also during the COVID era, it was streaming while in theaters, and it's not a Superhero film. Will Smith did get paid 40 million dollars either way, and this was his chance to finally win an Oscar, so it was a win for him.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2022 at 11:50 PM, Maxman said:

I just watched the video during the commercial. Will Smith looked like he was crying. Insane.

At first Will Smith was laughing at the joke while Jada was totally pissed. I guess she got to Will and it set him off. Check out the full clip if you get a chance. Insane!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Go to Rotten Tomatoes and compare viewer and audience ratings on popular films. Movie Critics are assholes. They're probably also the creators of most Yelp! reviews. 

/shrug

Not sure I'd agree.  Critics are looking at film as art.  Most viewers are just looking for a little fun.  Completely different viewpoints.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Im talking about the general consensus, of which seems to be that a gigantic swath of people A - Didnt see it, and B - Dont care to see it in the future. 

Well, didn't see it in a theatre, absolutely.  

But I wouldn't agree that is even close to the full picture nowadays.  Only movies I've seen in the theatre were popcorn films that go best on a huge screen, like Marvel flicks.  

I've generally stayed at home and streamed more artsy flicks.  Like Power of the Dog, which I streamed with my wife who wanted to see it (she like Benedict Cumberbun).

Also, the "general" in general consensus is mostly about money.  Lowest common denominator packaged entertainment for the masses.  Sometimes fun, rarely much quality.  Not really the kind of film that wins best picture or best actor type awards.

Just not really sure what point you're trying to make here.  It was not a financial success, but given it's awards so far, it's clearly considered a quality film with quality acting.  

3 minutes ago, ultraJETfan said:

Didn't see the Oscars. Wouldn't be caught dead watching it. Besides, it was on at the same time as Real Housewives of New Jersey and I never miss an episode.

Feels like Will Smith is going to be joining the cast real soon.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

The Oscars should learn from this. Violence boosts ratings. 

In future, they should invite all the nominees for each category on stage, and the last one standing gets the trophy.

After all, who wouldn't want to see Judi Dench snap Kristen Stewart's spine in order to win the Best Actress award?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Panzer Division Marduk said:

The Oscars should learn from this. Violence boosts ratings. 

In future, they should invite all the nominees for each category on stage, and the last one standing gets the trophy.

After all, who wouldn't want to see Judi Dench snap Kristen Stewart's spine in order to win the Best Actress award?

:Snap!:

Dame Dench:  "It's just been revoked!"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

All films are unlikely to do do well in theaters unless they're a Marvel Franchise, or are a preexisting IP that's popular. 

King Richard did flop, but it was also during the COVID era, it was streaming while in theaters, and it's not a Superhero film. Will Smith did get paid 40 million dollars either way, and this was his chance to finally win an Oscar, so it was a win for him.

The Covid excuse is just that. 

Plenty of people went to theaters to see movies during Covid, of all varying genres, some non IP films, some new IP films, and plenty that had dual release with streaming that pulled in money. 

King Richard was #80 for 2021 Worldwide. Remove some of the foreign movie releases as it skews it a bit, and it barely makes it up to the 60s.  

To add insult to injury (multiple innuendos here), Chris Rock's Spiral (SAW IP), made more money. 

Many sh*ttier movies than King Richard made way more money during Covid, again, a very large indicator of who gives a sh*t about the movie whether it's a good flick or not. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2021/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Anyone with a brain, and even if you think Will Smith doesn't have one, he's got tons of people around him who do, would tell him the obvious... That frankly, more people now know about the affair because of reading the backstory about this, and this did nothing to make anyone forget.  Slapping a comedian doesn't rehabilitate anything.

Anyone with a brain also knows that if you make a joke about a man's wife and that man comes out of the audience to confront you, you don't stand stationary with eyes closed and hands behind your back when he gets within arms reach unless you're in on the joke.

• Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, JTJet said:

The Covid excuse is just that. 

Plenty of people went to theaters to see movies during Covid, of all varying genres, some non IP films, some new IP films, and plenty that had dual release with streaming that pulled in money. 

King Richard was #80 for 2021 Worldwide. Remove some of the foreign movie releases as it skews it a bit, and it barely makes it up to the 60s.  

To add insult to injury (multiple innuendos here), Chris Rock's Spiral (SAW IP), made more money. 

Many sh*ttier movies than King Richard made way more money during Covid, again, a very large indicator of who gives a sh*t about the movie whether it's a good flick or not. 

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/world/2021/

Pick out the ones (domestic because there are many variables with international markets) that aren’t IP and list them here.

And I already said. This was his chance to win the Oscar. I never said anything about people giving a sh*t. The right people gave a sh*t. Critics. He won.  

13 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

Pick out the ones (domestic because there are many variables with international markets) that aren’t IP and list them here.

And I already said. This was his chance to win the Oscar. I never said anything about people giving a sh*t. The right people gave a sh*t. Critics. He won.  

I'm not your errand boy. You can read through the list and figure it out, its clear as day. Theres just as many non IPs on the list as there are huge IPs. 

I could have an endless list of movies and all you will do is do some mental gymnastics for every single one listed. 

The "right people" have been wrong plenty of times.

40 minutes ago, JTJet said:

I'm not your errand boy. You can read through the list and figure it out, its clear as day. Theres just as many non IPs on the list as there are huge IPs. 

I could have an endless list of movies and all you will do is do some mental gymnastics for every single one listed. 

The "right people" have been wrong plenty of times.

There aren’t as many non IP as IP. That’s why I asked you (at least domestically). I counted 55 movies ahead of King Richard, 14 aren’t IP. Factor in that some of those movies only had theatrical releases (while King Richard had the streaming), and you can see some of the reason why it flopped. Not all of it but just one reason. Most movies that aren’t IP fail. And if you go through that list, most of the top 25-30 is IP (and the ones that aren’t are like original Disney animation movies). It’s not until you get to like the 40s do you see a bunch of non-IP films.

2 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

At first Will Smith was laughing at the joke while Jada was totally pissed. I guess she got to Will and it set him off. Check out the full clip if you get a chance. Insane!

The joke also sucked and was not a Chris Rock level joke. Which leads me even more to believe the whole thing was a work. We’re not talking about the moon landing here. We’re talking about attention starved actors.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So then what is it?

Attention starved actors who will do anything for attention put together a WWE style gag on a large stage during an event that has been desperate for attention.  They happened to land on a crappy joke to set it off. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Attention starved actors who will do anything for attention put together a WWE style gag on a large stage during an event that has been desperate for attention.  They happened to land on a crappy joke to set it off. 

But you just said Will wouldn’t want to get mad at a crappy joke. You’re not making sense.

3 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Will: That was funny!

Jada: No, it's not.

Will: No its not. 

2 hours ago, Tranquilo said:

Chris Rock thought there was a 0% chance he would legitimately get smacked. How many times has that happened? What you just described? Especially at the ******* Oscars. 

Exactly.  Somebody unable to take a joke has never gotten out of his seat to get on stage and confront the host.  Rock would have known right then and there that something was out of the ordinary.

How does he respond?  By setting his feet perfectly square to Smith, putting his hands behind his back and closing his eyes.

Sounds legit.

13 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Exactly.  Somebody unable to take a joke has never gotten out of his seat to get on stage and confront the host.  Rock would have known right then and there that something was out of the ordinary.

How does he respond?  By setting his feet perfectly square to Smith, putting his hands behind his back and closing his eyes.

Sounds legit.

…so you’re saying a guy who is expecting a slap puts his arms behind his back and closes his eyes?! If he’s expecting it, wouldn’t he back up a little,  or flinch, knowing it’s coming? Do you realize what you’re saying?

Will Smith getting up off his seat at the OSCARS is not where I’d expect him to slap someone. Why would Chris Rock think this? It’s never happened to him! Also, the people who produce the Oscars are never this creative or controversial lol. 

and another thing. What makes you think a guy who never cursed on his rap albums would want to undo all that for a staged scuffle?

If you look at Chris Rocks’s reaction right after he slapped, he’s about to square up but then composes himself.  

Believe what you want. You’re so smart!!! You figured it all out!!!

36 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

…so you’re saying a guy who is expecting a slap puts his arms behind his back and closes his eyes?! If he’s expecting it, wouldn’t he back up a little,  or flinch, knowing it’s coming? Do you realize what you’re saying?

Will Smith getting up off his seat at the OSCARS is not where I’d expect him to slap someone. Why would Chris Rock think this? It’s never happened to him! Also, the people who produce the Oscars are never this creative or controversial lol. 

and another thing. What makes you think a guy who never cursed on his rap albums would want to undo all that for a staged scuffle?

If you look at Chris Rocks’s reaction right after he slapped, he’s about to square up but then composes himself.  

It was real. Trying to convince people playing sleuth online is pointless.

Everything is a conspiracy.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The joke also sucked and was not a Chris Rock level joke. Which leads me even more to believe the whole thing was a work. We’re not talking about the moon landing here. We’re talking about attention starved actors.

Some folks will believe any conspiracy theory these days....

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

It's not so much me being smart as much as it's others being gullible.

Edited by AFJF

Working title: The Only Plausible Scenario

SCENE ONE: The Producer's office at the Academy Awards

Producer One: Well, here goes nothing. 

Producer Two: You'll sell it. It's just what you do. Now let's save the Academy Awards!

Producer One (over intercom): Stacy, have Will and Chris come in.

WILL SMITH and CHRIS ROCK enter.

Producer One: What's up guys? I'm glad you could make it. I know you have alot going on but it's all for a good cause. You'll see.

Producer Two: You'll see! Good cause. GREAT cause.

Smith: What's up? I'm always glad to help the Academy. 

Rock: Me too. I love hosting the show.

Producer One: Well, as you know, ratings for the show have been down in recent years. 

Producer Two: Not your fault. NOT your fault, Chris.

Producer One: And we would like your help giving ratings, well, a boost. 

Smith: Anything I can do, guys, just ask. 

Producer One: Now Will, you're a brilliant actor as we know. How would you feel about doing a bit of acting for a good cause tonight?

Smith: Sure...

Producer Two: Great, I knew you'd be on board. (to Producer One) Didn't I tell you he'd be on board?

Smith: What do you need?

Rock: Why am I here? 

Producer One: We need both of you. Chris, you know how you're kind of having fun with people in attendance?

Smith: He tears them UP. 

Producer Two. He's the best! Him and Gervais.

Producer One: Well tonight you're going to make a joke about Jada.

Smith: My wife? She hates jokes.

Producer One: Exactly! 

Smith: What could he say about my wife? She's perfect!

Producer One: Well, that's the thing. Maybe something about the hair.

Rock: Oh ****.

Smith: Nah, brah, it's cool. She loves her new haircut. She's proud of her skull.

Rock: Well, alright then.

Producer One: Good, good. Now Will, we need you to LAUGH at the joke but then after a pause, maybe you look at Jada and then you run up to the stage -

Smith: When does this happen? At the end of the night? Beginning? I might have a little more on my mind by that time.

Producer Two: You're up for something or something, right?

Producer One: Is he? What are you up for?

Smith: Best Actor.

Producer One: Oh yes, that. I completely forgot. So busy with running the ship here. Anyway, what I would like you to do next is run up on stage after looking at Jada who is PRETENDING to be upset but not too upset, like she's not going to overract it, it's all in the eyes. You run up on stage and you...

Smith: I...

Producer Two: You smack Chris really hard in the face!!! (to Producer One) I'm sorry, Brad, I just couldn't hold it in any longer.

Rock: Are you crazy?

Smith: I'm in.

Rock: Oh, if you're in, let me smack you in the face.

Smith: Don't be stupid. You know it's got to be me. Tell me more about the plan. Do you really think it will boost ratings?

Rock: You're thinking about this? What if you win the best actor award?

Smith: Who gives a sh*t about a little award? I'm boosting ratings! 

Rock: Your whole life you've dreamed of this one moment when you can join the greats and go down in history as one of the truly great artists and all anybody is going to talk about is how you smacked the sh*t out of a fifty year old comedian. That's going to be your legacy. 

Smith: What part of boosting ratings don't you understand?

Producer Two: Sounds like SOMEONE's afraid of getting a little smacky in the facey.

Smith: Yeah, don't be a bitch. We have a mission. Help. The. Academy 

Rock: Do you think people are going to tune in next year just to see if somebody ELSE gets their ass whooped? What you going to do for an encore? Rape Lady Gaga?

Producer One: ****, that's good. Let's save that one.

Producer Two: Done.

Rock: And what do I get out of this?

Producer Two: Sympathy. 

Rock: I always wanted to look like a pathetic bitch.

Producer One: Don't think of it as being a pathetic bitch. Think of it as being cool under fire. Unflappable. CLASSY. The best kind of tough.

Rock: I'll take it.

SMITH and ROCK stand up. Exit.

Producer One and Two: Have a great show guys!

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2022 at 12:15 AM, Spoot-Face said:

That's what makes me think it wasn't a scripted bit, lol. Props to Rock for staying cool.

And even if he did know about the alopecia. I mean, come on...

It's alopecia. It ain't cancer.

It has essentially killed her career, her self-esteem and has her suicidal. As the husband of a woman with alopecia, I can tell you she’d rather have cancer; with cancer at least your hair comes back after chemo. I don’t know if I would have responded like this but I fully understand why he did it. Just laughing it off just might have been the thing to push her off the ledge because that would have reinforced the idea that she is ugly and not worth defending. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5
  • WTF? 2

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Is it the event that is starved for attention or them? Because winning Best Actor and having it overshadowed by looking like a lunatic isn't really the best way to get attention, is it?

• Upvote 1