Off Topic: Will Smith punches Chris Rock at the Oscars?

Maxman

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

The Oscars set the tone for featuring and encouraging roasting style monologues long ago. You can poke fun at a spouse/partner, if they are part of the inner circle. It’s not like she’s a housewife not in the public eye.

She puts all her sh*t out there for public consumption. Trading privacy for celebrity, for $$$ and influence. They literally remade karate kid just to give their son a movie to be in. 

This has very little to do with the joke Rock told. This an armchair psychology dream come true about Will Smith thinking he has some sort of domain over the women around him, even though he’s been thoroughly emasculated like the cuck he is.

Rock balled a fist, then as he saw Smiths face he just stopped himself. In that moment I’m convince that Rock saw fear, desperation and sadness in Smiths face. The choice to move on and it press charges was a kindness.

This. All day.

This is extremely well said, and the thread should just be ended right here. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

the conspiracy theory folks are missing several key facts 1) Hollywood/LA abhors all kinds of PvP physical violence, staged or otherwise. It also hates jokes like "GI Jane 2" making fun of a person's medical condition. If it was staged, it was the wrong room for that series of jokes 2) Will Smith spent his entire rapping career not using the F bomb, his entire acting career not using curse words and then he drops 2 fbombs on live TV for a stunt? Does no one realize how hard it was to be a rapper who didn't curse?  

Verdict: NOT FAKE - this looked fake because Smith learned how to throw that punch/slap from a stunt man but Rock wasn't expecting it 

So it was the wrong room to make that joke yet everyone, including Smith, were laughing. My point is that Hollywood are the biggest fakers in the world, that's why they go into politics. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Always thought will smith was a good dude who just married a horrible person

thought similar of Whitney Houston 

She’s a tramp. Absolutely was the worst decision he’s ever made. Their kids are lunatics. Will Smith was a rising star who got entangled with this witch. You can just see the hate in her in everything she does. She’s a miserable human being and Will Smith is at her mercy. He was literally LAUGHING at the joke until she cold stared down Will who then, like a rock ‘em sock em robot, jumped to his feet and attacked Rock. She has this guy under her evil spell. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

People aren’t going to see a Will Smith movie because he slapped Chris Rock?

People havent lined up and plunked down to see a Will Smith movie in years. Are you seriously going to argue that people routinely put their cash down to watch actors they dont like?  This is your new hot take?  

Funny for someone who got into this by jumping in to ask someone who was talking to me why some have dug their heels in over this, you sure have dug your heels in deep.  You just like to argue.

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

My comments are about their history. He hit Rock for himself, not her. They’re all ****ed up.

Hey that could be true. Haven’t really thought of it that way. But I mean idk how we ever know know that. I’m curious how Jada feels about it honestly more than Will 

21 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Trump really broke your brain lol

UT.  You know better than this.  No reason to bring politics into it.  And any beefs you may have had with a poster on another site that does allow politics, should stay on that site.  No need to bring it over here.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

She’s a tramp. Absolutely was the worst decision he’s ever made. Their kids are lunatics. Will Smith was a rising star who got entangled with this witch. You can just see the hate in her in everything she does. She’s a miserable human being and Will Smith is at her mercy. He was literally LAUGHING at the joke until she cold stared down Will who then, like a rock ‘em sock em robot, jumped to his feet and attacked Rock. She has this guy under her evil spell. 

Don't most woman lol...  If you're married and you say NO, you're a lying sack of poop lol...

Got in on this late, but seriously, I know people are talking about this, and it's good water fountain fodder, but again seriously, most belong to a crowd of people that most of us couldn't give a poop about. I don't put stock in most anything any hollywood person does or says... end of story.

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Who benefits from this being fake, out of curiosity?

Will Smith?  No.

The Oscars?  No.  It wasn't promoted and happened at the end of the night, so didn't add viewers in a meaningful way.

Morning shows?  Maybe?  But, does Smith do this to help out morning talk shows?

King Richard?  Maybe?  Is this a plug for the movie?  Viral marketing?  So, is Smith willing to put himself through this fallout to sell rentals of this film on Amazon and AppleTV?

In any conspiracy theory, it's worth asking why and who benefits.  In this case, I'm struggling to see anyone that would make this worth it.

Good post & points…from what I’ve seen it appears to be clearly a set-up.

The live broadcast cameras were in position to capture Smith walking up, the Director was onto it remarkably rapidly and the camera operator was too….that doesn’t happen in live TV by accident and especially in light entertainment shows which are tightly scripted and choreographed…..

Another giveaway?: he was positioned conveniently close to Rock, and there’s a curious lack of a close-up shot on Rock(even though we know there was a close-up angle available because they cut from it to the wide shot of Smith walking up, why has that shot not been seen?…. all give-aways…the wide shot is deliberate so that we don’t see the contact (maybe I’m wrong and have missed it but I have yet to see an image showing the actual contact).

It would be simple to freeze frame the point at which contact is made but I’ve yet to see it.    

Any bruising on Rock?…again, maybe I missed it as haven’t paid a huge amount of attention here but if Will Smith “smacked the sh!t” out of you there’s be some evidence of this right?……..this was clearly scripted.

That said, your point about who benefits is valid. Smith won the best actor Oscar but absolutely nobody is talking about that? He’s totally sabotaged his own glory.

I suspect it was a badly conceived idea that went wrong for whatever reason. Will Smith has a history of these kind of stunts and cameos and has been a master of self-promotion over the years. I have a hard time believing this wasn’t ‘planned’ or scripted but went wrong or has just been very well acted out by all concerned

4 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Will Smith?  No.

The Oscars?  No.  It wasn't promoted and happened at the end of the night, so didn't add viewers in a meaningful way.

King Richard?  Maybe?  Is this a plug for the movie?  Viral marketing?  So, is Smith willing to put himself through this fallout to sell rentals of this film on Amazon and AppleTV?

In any conspiracy theory, it's worth asking why and who benefits.  In this case, I'm struggling to see anyone that would make this worth it.

There’s a writer claiming to have written “the slap bit”

the slap  does look a little suspicious 

but then the reaction seems very genuine and what smith says is obviously not anything his agents or PR people would agree to. 

Just a very odd thing all around 

17 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Am I the only one who couldn't care less what happened on the west coast to people who have NO connection to reality or how the rest of us live??

I havent watched the Oscars or any award show in more than 40 years I imagine.

Millionaire NFL players don’t have much connection to how the rest of us live either. I just enjoy movies and football so I am interested in the participants. 

13 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

The live broadcast cameras were in position to capture Smith walking up, the Director was onto it remarkably rapidly and the camera operator was too….that doesn’t happen in live TV by accident and especially in light entertainment shows which are tightly scripted and choreographed…..

Another giveaway?: he was positioned conveniently close to Rock, and there’s a curious lack of a close-up shot on Rock(even though we know there was a close-up angle available because they cut from it to the wide shot of Smith walking up, why has that shot not been seen?…. all give-aways…the wide shot is deliberate so that we don’t see the contact (maybe I’m wrong and have missed it but I have yet to see an image showing the actual contact).

It would be simple to freeze frame the point at which contact is made but I’ve yet to see it.    

Any bruising on Rock?…again, maybe I missed it as haven’t paid a huge amount of attention here but if Will Smith “smacked the sh!t” out of you there’s be some evidence of this right?……..this was clearly scripted.

That said, your point about who benefits is valid. Smith won the best actor Oscar but absolutely nobody is talking about that? He’s totally sabotaged his own glory.

I suspect it was a badly conceived idea that went wrong for whatever reason. Will Smith has a history of these kind of stunts and cameos and has been a master of self-promotion over the years. I have a hard time believing this wasn’t ‘planned’ or scripted but went wrong or has just been very well acted out by all concerned

How do you feel about the moon landings?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Evident by the role  she played in Gotham, literally her personified. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Didn’t King Richard bomb? I’m sure more people will be inclined to watch now. 

40 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

There's a lot of cameras in the room, and a lot of eyes on them.  These guys are professionals, and would have had no trouble following this live.  Without re-watching, I'd say they saw him get up and start walking and were able to cut over there.  As for sitting up front, isn't that always the case of actors nominated for the big awards?  I don't see that as a reason to believe it's staged either.

He didn't hit him that hard, and Rock responded professionally.  I also don't think we've see Rock since, so hard to say if there is any swelling/bruising.

As for Smith's self-promotion, it's all be cultivated in a positive light.  Never like this.  

I don't see anything thus far that overcomes the notion that no one really benefits or makes money from this.

5 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Will Smith?  No.

Yes.  Will Smith.  It allows him to re-build his image after crying like a baby on national TV while his wife told the world she'd found a better man.

Dude is a cuck and wants the world to forget about it.

3 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

People that play in a land of make believe, hold a celebration of themselves so that they can regale each other and tell each other how wonderful and important they are. 

Why should we even care?

One more reason to stage the slap.  Nobody cares about the Oscars.  Now people might tune in next year to see if something so "crazy" happens again.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Didn’t King Richard bomb? I’m sure more people will be inclined to watch now. 

This is the only plausible explanation, but, I don't know.  I wonder if the buzz from winning the oscar wouldn't have generated more views than this.  There's certainly a percentage of people who definitely won't watch it now.

Additionally, what's in it for Will Smith?  Sure, maybe he made a loser.  The internet estimates he made 40M for it and that he is worth 350M (seems low).  Hurt your reputation for another couple million, or parlay this win into your next job... Hell, make Independence Day 4 or another Men in Black and pick up another 20M+.  So, I could see why production may want some additional buzz, but there's really no good motivator for Smith himself.