The best 10 players in the draft regardless of position

This time of year we get overloaded with 40 times, measurements, and how a player "projects". The ol' paralysis by analysis. I try to sort through the clutter and list the 10 best players and hope the Jets get at least one of them. Here is my list:

1) Ickey Ickwonu

2) Jermaine Johnson

3) Kyle Hamilton

4) Sauce Gardener

5) Aidan Hutchinson

6) Tyler Linderbaum

7) Tre McBride

8. Devin Loyd

9) Zion Johnson

10) Evan Neal

* My list is weighed heavy by production and not projection.

* none of the QBs or receivers are worthy of consideration here.

*Edge and OL are the strengths of the draft.

* It's admittedly a weak draft at the top but I think we are in position to get one of the few difference makers. Maybe 2 or even 3.

* KT is definitely one of the most polarizing players in the draft. Count me as some who feels his bust potential is way bigger than his star potential. Keep in mind that Oregon's biggest win (@Ohio State) was with him on the sidelines watching in street clothes.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Pointdexter said:

This time of year we get overloaded with 40 times, measurements, and how a player "projects". The ol' paralysis by analysis. This time of year I try to sort through the clutter and list the 10 best players and hope the Jets get at least one of them. Here is my list:

1) Ickey Ickwonu

2) Jermaine Johnson

3) Kyle Hamilton

4) Sauce Gardener

5) Aidan Hutchinson

6) Tyler Linderbaum

7) Tre McBride

8. Devin Loyd

9) Zion Johnson

10) Evan Neal

* It's admittedly a weak draft at the top but I think we are in position to get one of the few difference makers. Maybe 2 or even 3.

* KT is definitely one of the most polarizing players in the draft. Count me as some who feels his bust potential is way bigger than his star potential. Keep in mind that Oregon's biggest win (@Ohio State) was with him on the sidelines watching in street clothes.

If available in the 2nd round, I wouldn't mind taking "Linda Baum" there.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Going purely on productivity is not a great way to make a top 10 list.  

I love Linderbaum as a player but his tiny baby arms might be a hindrance in him dominating at the next level.  

Could be yes, but inside guys can still dominate even if they have flippers for arms.  I recall that many pundits thought Matt Light's arms were too short to play LT, but he was one of the best out there. 

• Upvote 1

Pff .02

1. EDGE AIDAN HUTCHINSON, MICHIGAN

The highest-graded edge defender in college football, Hutchinson has multiple ways to win with his blend of quicks and power. He’s a complete edge defender who excels against both the run and the pass.

2. CB DEREK STINGLEY JR., LSU

This ranking is banking a lot on what Stingley put on tape a long time ago, but it's not as if that talent went anywhere. He has allowed only a 41.1% completion percentage for his career and has been starting since his freshman year.

3. T CHARLES CROSS, MISSISSIPPI STATE

After flashing traits in his first year as a starter in 2020, Cross became a dominant pass-protector in 2021. He allowed 44 pressures on 574 pass-blocking snaps in 2020 before giving up only 16 pressures on 719 pass-blocking snaps in 2021.

4. CB AHMAD GARDNER, CINCINNATI

Gardner never allowed a touchdown in his career despite starting since he was a true freshman. In 2021, he took his game to another level, surrendering only 131 yards in 14 games.

5. T IKEM EKWONU, N.C. STATE

Ekwonu is the single most dominant run-blocking tackle in the country. His 18 big-time blocks in the run game this past season were seven more than the next-closest Power Five offensive lineman.

6. T EVAN NEAL, ALABAMA

The mammoth 6-foot-7, 350-pounder is one of the most imposing specimens ever to grace this planet, and he moves like a man 50 pounds lighter. He allowed only 24 pressures over the past two years between left and right tackle.

7. EDGE KAYVON THIBODEAUX, OREGON

Thibodeaux has an elite first step combined with an ideal frame for the position. While he lacks refinement, that combination still led to a 91.5 PFF pass-rushing grade in 2021.

8. S KYLE HAMILTON, NOTRE DAME

At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, Hamilton is a modern hybrid defender who can do whatever is asked of him. While he missed Notre Dame's final five games in 2021 with a minor knee injury, he came down with three picks and three pass breakups in his first seven outings.

9. WR JAMESON WILLIAMS, ALABAMA

It’s a shame Williams tore his ACL in the national championship game, as his tape put him firmly in the mix for WR1. He’s still the best deep threat in the class.

10. EDGE GEORGE KARLAFTIS, PURDUE

Karlaftis is a versatile iron man who can do almost anything a team could ask of him. He played at least 49 snaps in all but one game this past season and finished with a 90.6 PFF pass-rushing grade.

42 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Would love if JD drafted Lloyd but I think the only chance that'll happen is if he trades down from 4 and gets something like 16 and 19.

It’s possible. Sean Payton is gone. JD may be able to do the voodoo that he do and pull a fast one ☝️ 

2 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

It's just weird to me that this board always seems way more interested in snarky comments and crapping on people's posts than actual discussion. Peace.

You've not read much on this board. I'm pretty new myself.

There are absolutely snarky comments for fun, but there is a ton of discussion. Overall, it is a great board with a solid core group that has been around for a long time, and they love the JETS. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

This time of year we get overloaded with 40 times, measurements, and how a player "projects". The ol' paralysis by analysis. I try to sort through the clutter and list the 10 best players and hope the Jets get at least one of them. Here is my list:

1) Ickey Ickwonu

2) Jermaine Johnson

3) Kyle Hamilton

4) Sauce Gardener

5) Aidan Hutchinson

6) Tyler Linderbaum

7) Tre McBride

8. Devin Loyd

9) Zion Johnson

10) Evan Neal

I say we trade down from 4 for Hutch

9 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Exact kind of thread that leads fat interior D lineman and safeties taken in too 10. 

I know it's hard to believe but top tier interior D linemen make similar money to top tier LTs.  It's a premium position.  That's why unless JD and Saleh are completely in love with Q, it would not shock me to see his replacement drafted pretty early...