Should the Jets take a Wideout in the 2nd Round?

NY Jets Draft

The Jets are selecting a wide receiver with the 10th pick in the first round. That is what most people are thinking today. Some even say it will happen with the 4th overall pick.

What if the Jets don’t take a wide receiver in round one? Maybe the Jets think the wide receiver class is deep and not top-loaded.

The draft rarely goes the way people predict it will go. Greenbean is in Staten Island this week and he looks at the wide receiver options in round two and beyond.

Watch the video and let us know what you think in our NY Jets forum.

The post Should the Jets take a Wideout in the 2nd Round? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I just did a mock and took WRs in the 3rd and 5th rounds (Jalen Tolbert and Wan'Dale Robinson)  The rest of the draft turned out so well I was happy enough with these guys at WR  (I took Thibs at 4 and Sauce at 10)

Who did you take in the 2nd?

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I just did a mock and took WRs in the 3rd and 5th rounds (Jalen Tolbert and Wan'Dale Robinson)  The rest of the draft turned out so well I was happy enough with these guys at WR  (I took Thibs at 4 and Sauce at 10)

I would like Tolbert even if they draft one in round 1.

• Upvote 1

JD obviously does not have 4 and 10 grades on the WRs in this draft.  He does not want to pick them there.  But the top teams in the NFL are going to scoop up the WRs at the bottom of the 1st round, which is going to make us look at feel even worse. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

JD obviously does not have 4 and 10 grades on the WRs in this draft.  He does not want to pick them there.  But the top teams in the NFL are going to scoop up the WRs at the bottom of the 1st round, which is going to make us look at feel even worse. 

I think guys like olave and burks are going earlier than we think.  The wr class is not deep and it is clearly a premium position.  

At this point i think the jets are getting thibs or ekongwu at 4.  Douglas is a trenches guy and one of those 2 will be available if not both.  If both are there i think it’s thibs.  Hutch/walker are likely top 3 picks which means one of them falls to the jets.

at 10 wr seems to be the most forecasted pick.  If there’s a team picking before them that’s most often mocked a wr it’s atlanta but i don’t think they’re going wr after taking pitts last year, they’re in a rebuild and may even be eyeing a qb in a move up for all we know.

i think there’s a decent to good chance that wilson is there at 10.  And if the jets feel strongly enough i can see them trading up to get wilson if they really want him.  But by round 2, the wr options will be slimmer and the jets probably won’t be getting anything more than a hopeful role guy going forward without some luck.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Jameson Williams is the only WR worthy of #10 IMO. I'm in the camp of WR at 35 or trade up to the back end of the first to get one.

- Watson

- Pickens

- Dotson

- Pierce

- Burks

Would all be fine with me, you could probably throw a few others into that group as well.

I would understand if JD did this but I'd be pretty disappointed.  This team has too many needs.  We don't have the luxury of trading away premium picks (and I'm guessing moving back up would cost us both #2's).

10 hours ago, AFJF said:

If medicals and background checks are clean, you get a WR1 in the second round by taking George Pickens.

He and Cager could play nerf football with their tiny hands on the practice squad together. 

• Haha 2

I saw a stat the other day and can't find it again

But it was something like 

• 50% of first round WR - have had a 1000 season
  • 20% of second round WR - have had a 1000 season

Again, please don't quote me on these numbers - but it's something like that - I just can't find it again

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Again, please don't quote me on these numbers - but it's something like that - I just can't find it again

Oh, we gonna be quotin.

• Haha 2

Hell yes.  The 2nd round WR's may very well outperform the 1st rounders.

Two of the round 2  to 3 WR's are two of my top three value picks in the entire draft.

Jahan Dotson

Skyy Moore

Taking either in the second round would be a home run. 

Not a WR, but since I am talking value, I would also, once again like mention LB Brian Asamoah as a five star home run pick for the Jets if JD is smart enough to realize what an IDEAL player he would be for Saleh's 4-2-5.  Asamoah is perfectly made to be the flex between the 2nd and 3rd level of a 4-2-5.  

The potential and value in grabbing him in round 3 makes me drool. 

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Consider yourself quoted.  Now what?

11 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I would understand if JD did this but I'd be pretty disappointed.  This team has too many needs.  We don't have the luxury of trading away premium picks (and I'm guessing moving back up would cost us both #2's).

That's only if you are trying to get into the teens, you could probably give up a 3rd to hop up to the late 20s. 

22 hours ago, AFJF said:

If medicals and background checks are clean, you get a WR1 in the second round by taking George Pickens.

Everyone always thinks their 2nd/3rd/4th round WR is the diamond in the rough longshot #1 legit elite WR.

7 out of 8 are usually wrong.

But you could be the 1 of 8 I suppose.

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

Everyone always thinks their 2nd/3rd/4th round WR is the diamond in the rough longshot #1 legit elite WR.

On what planet is Pickens a 2nd/3rd/4th round WR if he's healthy?  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I gave the over under 6 weeks back in december for this narrative to surface... i guess i should have taken the over--

I remembered consistently seeing him mocked in the top half of round 1 early in the college season but personally didn't really start digging in on watching games until a couple months ago.  Luckily I have a job that allows me to watch anywhere from 2-8 hours of games every night so I've been able to watch a TON over the past couple of months.  Pickens was one of the first ones I watched and remembered immediately why he was such a hot prospect early on.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

On what planet is Pickens a 2nd/3rd/4th round WR if he's healthy?  

Is he healthy?

Are you saying he'll be picked in the first round?

Scouting site I use has him listed as the #7 WR prospect.  

Certainly possible he goes in the 1st.  Or 2nd.

Guess we'll see.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Is he healthy?

Guess we'll see.

If We're setting the draft slot over/under on George Pickins at 32 wouldn't take the over (i.e. he's probably going rd1) 

except for hand size and injuries he's a dynamic prospect and with Wide out values skyrocketing, teams are going to want that 5th year of control 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Warfish said:

True for diamonds in the rough. That's a poor label for Pickens, who before an ACL tear was a top 3 in the class. Jameson isn't being called a diamond in the rough for the same injury. 

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Is he healthy?

Guess we'll see.

He'll go top 50 and if not for the injury likely top half of round 1.  I don't get caught up in where a guy is ranked within his own position group because if you're #7 in an insanely deep class, it's a hell of a lot better than taking the 3rd ranked guy in a group with no talent.