Merged Becton Threads

Just now, Chewy and the Jets said:

I'd love to share your take,  Unfortunately based on his appearance the only way I can is if we both agree that round is a great shape....

Love the name.  It's what we named my Shelby GT350R.  

She sounds like a wookie gargling when I downshift. 

We tend to forget he is a kid.

my guess is he dealt with being made fun of for his weight and overall size growing up.

nothing you can do about national media but I wish our writers would just layoff a bit. Let him go through camp and let’s see where he is at. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm from Italian folks who existed on almost nothing during before WWII.  They foraged things like chestnuts, wild scallions and garlic, dandelion greens, mushrooms, edible flowers, etc.  So always maintained the "cucina povera" ethic.  

I try to shop intelligently so as to not let food spoil or go to waste.   Even if lettuce or other greens start to wilt, I'll quickly sauté them with a bit of garlic, salt and olive oil.

I wasn't joking above about looking for old mushrooms and bananas at the supermarket.   The older mushrooms are great for stews and pasta.  The flavor is more concentrated.   And I get a bag of old bananas for almost nothing when I make banana bread.

pittsburgh pirates GIF by MLB

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Ever take a sh*t so long that you can barely stand up afterwards?

Only when the stomach flu was involved.  I've had my legs go numb during one of those horrible sessions. 

I'm not a person that spends a lot of time on the seat.  I'm more of a 'get sh*t done and get out' kind of guy.  No phone or reading material. 

59 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I'd love to see him maul some of his classless doubters on this board.  To be clear, not those who understandably have major questions about Becton's future but those who consistently make fat and lazy jokes.  I remember as a kid making a mistake and calling a kid fat who I soon learned was faster than me.  That did not end well.

Sounds like you got what you deserved.  So, yeah, anyway... Becton thinks it's funny you got your ass kicked too.

Return Of The Jedi Episode 6 GIF by Star Wars

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Only when the stomach flu was involved.  I've had my legs go numb during one of those horrible sessions. 

I'm not a person that spends a lot of time on the seat.  I'm more of a 'get sh*t done and get out' kind of guy.  No phone or reading material. 

I wish I had quick, decisive bowels.

Although, reading JN on my phone while pooping is kinda fun.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm from Italian folks who existed on almost nothing during before WWII.  They foraged things like chestnuts, wild scallions and garlic, dandelion greens, mushrooms, edible flowers, etc.  So always maintained the "cucina povera" ethic.  

I try to shop intelligently so as to not let food spoil or go to waste.   Even if lettuce or other greens start to wilt, I'll quickly sauté them with a bit of garlic, salt and olive oil.

I wasn't joking above about looking for old mushrooms and bananas at the supermarket.   The older mushrooms are great for stews and pasta.  The flavor is more concentrated.   And I get a bag of old bananas for almost nothing when I make banana bread.

We have a freezer full of bananas waiting for my wife to get in a baking mood.  She makes a good banana bread. 

Son of an immigrant and we grew up dirt poor.  I'm not as careful as my father was, but were pretty extreme compared to the average person on food waste. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Spoot-Face said:

I wish I had quick, decisive bowels.

Although, reading JN on my phone while pooping is kinda fun.

I drink 10 ounces of water every hour from 6am until 5pm.  

I have alarms on my phone.  It flows out amazingly well when you're well hydrated. 

I quit after 5pm so I can sleep 7 hours without a bathroom trip. 

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Intent is key.  Fun is great, completely agree with you.  In fact, you'd be shocked to see what is on my Tiktok feed :).  Jokes that are not politically correct at all.  However, personally attacking a kid on his social media is a bit low.  Questioning his effort, sure.  Doubting his success, sure.  But to call him fat and lazy or worse, ... classless (at least in my world).  As for people doing it here, @freestater does it in a fun way.  Others seem to root for the kid to fail..  Again, classless in my world.

We used to have a lesser indoor football team around here. When my nephews were young, we'd go and sit near the opposing team's bench. We'd harass them all game long. But we'd do it in fun and strange ways. Like, "Your city's mass transit system is subpar!" and "Your city doesn't have access to major waterways!"

We'd get all sorts of weird looks at first, but after a while, the opposing players would seek us out. It was a fun time. I think my (one) nephew really took a lot from that. He's still a real quick kid with a line or a quip, and he doesn't have to get crude or cruel to pick on ya. 

So thank you for noting that. That is my intention. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

We have a freezer full of bananas waiting for my wife to get in a baking mood.  She makes a good banana bread. 

Son of an immigrant and we grew up dirt poor.  I'm not as careful as my father was, but were pretty extreme compared to the average person on food waste. 

So much of it just involves not buying too much.  Funny how many of the "peasant dishes" my folks made are now expensive in top restaurants.  

Back in the 60s, our butcher would give my parents all the veal shanks they wanted for free as most folks had no idea what to do with them.  Now they're ridiculously expensive.  All I will tell you is that they would use those shanks to make osso bucco in a ragu with porcini mushrooms which was incredible.   Served over polenta, another peasant dish. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, undertow said:

It's annoying that we live in a world where we take the opinions of the dumbest 10 percent and make pretend it's the majority.

I'm not clear on what this means.  

Does the top 90 percent of intelligent people agree with the dumbest 10 percent or are they pretending they do?  Also what does make pretend mean?

Also do you have any data on the actual intelligence of the majority?  

Asking for a friend.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Brown is the closest I guess.He’s battled weight and motivation issues too.

Bryant Mckinnie too I guess

Those are two I was going to bring up. I couldn't possibly gauge how much Becton actually weighs here, whether it's 364 like he was listed or 385 or more and the loose shirt hides more of it. But both those others you mentioned were upwards of 20+ lbs heavier than 364 and were both probowl and/or all pro. 

McKinnie missed half the season at 23 and then started every game in 8 of the next 9 seasons (the exception being his missing 4 starts halfway through). Becton doesn't need to have quite that level ironman status, though we'd all welcome it, but once he was pushing 400 lbs towards the end that was that. TBH I don't know how he started 10 games for Miami at that weight after 30something years of those knees bending & carrying that weight around.

Baltimore just drafted a tackle in the 4th who slimmed down for the combine to weigh in at 384. He weighed 426 when he enrolled at Minnesota.

The problem with like half of the "heaviest NFL players" lists people have compiled is they just weren't NFL level talents in the first place; it wasn't just maintaining a lower weight.

Good to know that the Jets have had a few of the heaviest-ever NFL'ers: Becton, TJ Barnes, and the other Robert Griffin. Yay us.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Biggs said:

Does the top 90 percent of intelligent people agree with the dumbest 10 percent or are they pretending they do?  Also what does make pretend mean?

Asking for a friend.

DimGraciousGrub-size_restricted.gif

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

My grandmother is the reason resturants stopped putting out baskets of rolls and bread on the table.  They were in her puse in a flash.  

lol  My wife's parents held the world monopoly on Sweet & Low packets lifted from diners, restaurants, bagel shops.....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Asking for a friend.

If you don't know what it means you might be one of the 10 percent....or maybe have a personality disorder. lol