Merged Becton Threads

2 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Look, we all want Becton to be a beast.   Just annihilating opponents for a decade.   But there is something going on with the guy, physically and mentally.  

I'm not going to criticize him about the injury, because I know nothing about the particulars, and I'm not a doctor. It really may have been worse than we (and the team) could've ever imagined, and that is a struggle to get back from, and will negatively affect any one's conditioning, especially someone as big as Becton who needs to stay active.

But, I do think there's an immaturity problem there that makes it hard for him to do what he needs to do to take, and keep, the weight off. I know it can be a struggle, as I've dealt with that myself, but if he wants to be the best athlete he can be, and he's really committed to this career, then now is the time for him to make some changes and work his ass off -- literally.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Jetluv58 said:

Your goodwill and rationality are most likely unwelcome here amongst the Becton-bashers. Nice of you to try though. 

https://vault.si.com/vault/1968/08/05/shermans-battle-of-the-bulge

Anyone remember Sherman Plunkett.  Weeb went after him every season to lose weight.  Great article.  

Here's a small slice

Coach Weeb Ewbank was angry. Well aware of Plunkett's off-season ballooning, Ewbank had ordered him not to weigh more than 300 pounds upon arrival. As the scale quivered, Ewbank quavered and announced that Plunkett (a) had lost his job as first-string offensive right tackle and (b) would have to pay his own expenses at camp until he melts off a couple of dozen pounds.

"If he gets down to 310, we may argue," said Ewbank. "He's supposed to report in good shape and he's not. I just told him that, with 19 games, one of these years his legs are going to give out. And he's lost speed and agility because of his excessive weight."

58 minutes ago, Lith said:

Yup. 

I would prefer if he just didn't engage with them.  Just work hard and let his play to the talking when he is on the field.  But I am definitely a different generation than he is.

Michael Jordan used the slightest 'perceived' insult to motivate himself.  Some great ones from all generations have done this.  Not saying it's the right approach but if it works for him like it worked for some of them, so be it.  But that's the key, he has to prove he's great on the field and before that he actually has to get on the field.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I'm hoping he mauls people. 

I'd love to see him maul some of his classless doubters on this board.  To be clear, not those who understandably have major questions about Becton's future but those who consistently make fat and lazy jokes.  I remember as a kid making a mistake and calling a kid fat who I soon learned was faster than me.  That did not end well.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I'd love to see him maul some of his classless doubters on this board.  To be clear, not those who understandably have major questions about Becton's future but those who consistently make fat and lazy jokes.  I remember as a kid making a mistake and calling a kid fat who I soon learned was faster than me.  That did not end well.

The Internet used to be open, and fun, and a little wild. Now it's just a never-ending game of red rover with both sides screaming "HATERS!" across the field at each other.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The problem is that he must have been told for years what the dangers are on the overeating side, Especially since he has been a professional.  Injuries happen it is a rough sport but he does not seems to have done he best job at looking after his body either.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Man, really speaks to his character. He hates when people leave their plates empty.

As one part of his community outreach program through the Jets, Becton is exploring a reinvigoration of the "Clean Plate Club".  The concept had gone out of favor of late as it was thought to encourage overeating.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

The Internet used to be open, and fun, and a little wild. Now it's just a never-ending game of red rover with both sides screaming "HATERS!" across the field at each other.

Intent is key.  Fun is great, completely agree with you.  In fact, you'd be shocked to see what is on my Tiktok feed :).  Jokes that are not politically correct at all.  However, personally attacking a kid on his social media is a bit low.  Questioning his effort, sure.  Doubting his success, sure.  But to call him fat and lazy or worse, ... classless (at least in my world).  As for people doing it here, @freestater does it in a fun way.  Others seem to root for the kid to fail..  Again, classless in my world.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, PorP said:

I can tell you this bro. 

I had a bicycle accident that broke my femur and tore all the soft tissue in my knee.  During knee reconstruction surgery they had to rebrake and pin the femur. I ended up on crutches for most of 10 months.  My good knee took so much abuse during that time it required rehab and is now my bad knee.  It just kept snowballing and took 18 - 24 months to fully recover. 

Maybe not the same as mehki but he is 3" taller than me and a full person heavier than I am. 

All that said maybe benefit of the doubt here as we don't have 1 bit of evidence he isn't doing the right things. 

Yikes.

I can bet, though, that you didn't have free access to nearly the same type of treatment and resources that Becton does.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, EM31 said:

The problem is that he must have been told for years what the dangers are on the overeating side, Especially since he has been a professional.  Injuries happen it is a rough sport but he does not seems to have done he best job at looking after his body either.

I completely agree.  We should all be skeptical .. the last year has been disappointing.  He hasn't helped himself.  No disagreement here.  He's deserved some of the stuff he's gotten.  Other stuff has crossed the line.  If he chooses to use both to fuel his fire, great.  I'll be rooting for him to turn it around.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

As one part of his community outreach program through the Jets, Becton is exploring a reinvigoration of the "Clean Plate Club".  The concept had gone out of favor of late as it was thought to encourage overeating.

When I learned just how much food we waste and throw away in this country, I made a point to never throw out food unless it is full on spoiled.

• Upvote 2

In all seriousness unless he loses the weight I don’t see how he can possibly play OT. The only guys to play at that type of weight and have any success were interior dlinemen who were rotational players- Ted Washington, Gilbert Brown, Sam Adams. 

Everyone can get angry at the truth and all…but he can’t play offensive line at where he’s currently at. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Is that what led to the taekwondo?

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Even his walk looked a bit strange. 

Ya man.  

Crazy thing is in his home workout vid, his feet/ legs looked limber and loose.

Makes me wonder if he tweeked something before / at minicamp? Or maybe they had him doing new exercises that created soreness. I know he went inside early today. 

Hopefully just soreness. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, PorP said:

Ya man.  

Crazy thing is in his home workout vid, his feet/ legs looked limber and loose.

Makes me wonder if he tweeked something before / at minicamp? Or maybe they had him doing new exercises that created soreness. I know he went inside early today. 

Hopefully just soreness. 

Not to be a jerk, but maybe he was sitting down for the 30-50 minutes after practice?

His legs got tight.  Most large people walk funny after sitting for awhile. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

In all seriousness unless he loses the weight I don’t see how he can possibly play OT. The only guys to play at that type of weight and have any success were interior dlinemen who were rotational players- Ted Washington, Gilbert Brown, Sam Adams. 

Everyone can get angry at the truth and all…but he can’t play offensive line at where he’s currently at. 

Trent Brown would like a word. Bec is a massive human. 6’7” and 375+ is a load, but brown is every bit of that and can play OT just fine. Several other examples too. His mobility post-injury, especially in this scheme, is a fair question to ask. However, saying he flat out can’t play is just premature.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Not to be a jerk, but maybe he was sitting down for the 30-50 minutes after practice?

His legs got tight.  Most large people walk funny after sitting for awhile. 

That could be.  I would think (maybe wrongly) that you'd want to walk that out before hand though so the media doesn't see it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, RVAJet815 said:

Trent Brown would like a word. Bec is a massive human. 6’7” and 375+ is a load, but brown is every bit of that and can play OT just fine. Several other examples too. His mobility post-injury, especially in this scheme, is a fair question to ask. However, saying he flat out can’t play is just premature.

Brown is the closest I guess.He’s battled weight and motivation issues too.

Bryant Mckinnie too I guess

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1