The first 3rd and 7+ of the year for the defense

27 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Might look something like

Lawson Quinnen JFM Johnson

Moseley(or other LB)

Reed Hall Carter Sauce

Whithead(in the box?) Joyner/Pinnock

Not bad.  At all.

In general, this is feeling/looking so much better!

Hamsah and Jamien were drafted to develop into this exact role (long, rangy LB with coverage skills).

Nice to have the option of Joyner, but there is a lot of buzz about Pinnock's strong showing so far. Excited to see what he does.

• Upvote 4

44 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Moseley(or other LB)

Reed Hall Carter Sauce

Not bad.  At all.

The Ravens are stacked with TEs. Therefore at the very minimum they'll have 1 and possibly 2 out on the field. With that in mind there won't be 4 CBs on the field. 

Unless we have one of the CB in there playing LB just to spy on Jackson which would be wise instead of a 230lb LB. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok….  How would it look 3rd and 3?

I guess my point is, until we establish control across the DL against the run, teams will keep  running the ball . We sucked against the run last year and let Fatima’s walk. Who steps up penetrates?

Lol, in what world do you see anybody getting 7 yards on us this season?

We’re cooking with gas ️ 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

The Ravens are stacked with TEs. Therefore at the very minimum they'll have 1 and possibly 2 out on the field. With that in mind there won't be 4 CBs on the field. 

Unless we have one of the CB in there playing LB just to spy on Jackson which would be wise instead of a 230lb LB. 

If healthy, Lots of Nas.

8 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Moseley(or other LB)

Reed Hall Carter Sauce

Not bad.  At all.

Better, on paper, than it was last year.  No doubt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

For the past 20 years, id take 3rd and 1 over 3rd and 7 any day of the week.  3rd and long has been a layup against us for the past  20 years.  It might be the biggest thing that drives me nuts about this team.  This sh!t ends now!

You know something - I don't know what the official stats will show but I agree. 3rd and 7 and they run a screen pass that goes for 18 yards. 3rd and 1 and we stop them somehow - incomplete pass or run stop - but then the opposition goes for it on 4th down and they get it anyway so 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Q is going to be playing for a 2nd contract.  I'm still waiting for this guy to take over a game...

The problem with Q is that we've never had the likes of an Abraham since he left rushing the QB, so that an offensive line had to worry about the Edge. That changes this year with 3 potential players in Lawson, JJ, and Clemons. If 2 of those guys can disrupt and find their way to the QB, I'm guessing you'll see Q get his also. He was the only one worth blocking on the line for the last 2 years, so I get it, people want to bitch, me included, but this might be our first real legit line in a while. 

• Sympathy 1

21 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Ok….  How would it look 3rd and 3?

I guess my point is, until we establish control across the DL against the run, teams will keep  running the ball . We sucked against the run last year and let Fatima’s walk. Who steps up penetrates?

Third and long will be the strength of the defense.  I'm worried about actually getting teams there.  They have to close the flood gates that was our run defense last year.  Hopefully the Ravens have a bunch of false starts and holding penalties early on. 

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

zoolander GIF

“If there is anything that this horrible tragedy can teach us, it's that a male model's life is a precious, precious commodity. Just because we have chiseled abs and stunning features, it doesn't mean that we too can't not die in a freak gasoline fight accident.”

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2022 at 11:47 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

For the past 20 years, id take 3rd and 1 over 3rd and 7 any day of the week.  3rd and long has been a layup against us for the past  20 years.  It might be the biggest thing that drives me nuts about this team.  This sh!t ends now!

Yeah 3rd and 7 and then a first down due to a freaking screen pass ? 

On 6/26/2022 at 1:23 AM, peekskill68 said:

Q is going to be playing for a 2nd contract.  I'm still waiting for this guy to take over a game...

He will get a Leo contract (20 mill/year) even if he doesn’t do anything more than what he is doing right now. What’s his upside if he breaks his ass? Has he shown any hint of being willing to do that?

54 minutes ago, jgb said:

He will get a Leo contract (20 mill/year) even if he doesn’t do anything more than what he is doing right now. What’s his upside if he breaks his ass? Has he shown any hint of being willing to do that?

On 6/25/2022 at 7:23 PM, peekskill68 said:

With Q getting his 5th year picked up, JD won’t have to worry about an extension until ‘24

Then he can negotiate a new contract or tag him while negotiations are on-going. I would expect the Aaron Donald extension (and others) will raise that FT number for DT closer to $20m by then.

Franchise ‘22: $17.4m

Transition ‘22: $14.7m

Q has $100 million reasons to BALL - OUT this year. No excuses!

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

With Q getting his 5th year picked up, JD won’t have to worry about an extension until ‘24

Then he can negotiate a new contract or tag him while negotiations are on-going. I would expect the Aaron Donald extension (and others) will raise that FT number for DT closer to $20m by then.

Franchise ‘22: $17.4m

Transition ‘22: $14.7m

Q has $100 million reasons to BALL - OUT this year. No excuses!

I hear ya but he doesn’t actually have $100 million reasons. He has the delta between a Leo contract and whatever a monster season or two would bring. The question is if he’s virtually guaranteed $20M/year for keeping on getting on as he has been, does a hypothetical extra $3M, 5 or even 8 a year really motivate him to completely bust his hump? I’m not convinced.

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I hear ya but he doesn’t actually have $100 million reasons. He has the delta between a Leo contract and wherever a monster season or two would bring. The question is if he’s virtually guaranteed $20M/year for keeping on getting on as he has been, does an extra $3M, 5 or even 8 a year really motivate him to completely bust his hump? I’m not convinced.

Then JD will probably let him test FA, because JD has shown an unwillingness to pay that kind of money for someone who doesn’t love football. 2023 could be the starting point of the “Compensatory Pick” long game that the Pats play so well. Fant will be the 1 to watch to get an idea of Becton’s future. If it’s for LT money, then Becton could be on thin ice. JD will probably play the FT game for another year just to see where Becton is.

‘23 UFA: Fant, White, Quincy W., Shepherd, McGovern
‘24 UFA: Corey Davis, Q, Lawson, Berrios

It will be interesting to see how JD handles things as he enters the last 3 years of his contract next offseason. He will need to show improved play (& record) on the field no later than next year.  Playoff contention by next season. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

I hear ya but he doesn’t actually have $100 million reasons. He has the delta between a Leo contract and wherever a monster season or two would bring. The question is if he’s virtually guaranteed $20M/year for keeping on getting on as he has been, does a hypothetical extra $3M, 5 or even 8 a year really motivate him to completely bust his hump? I’m not convinced.

This is what has me scratching my head with JD's draft.  He never addressed the IDL even though the price for so-so production with second contracts has escalated dramatically.  The average salaries for Top 10 DT's are close to what Top 10 LT's are getting.  We spent months debating Becton vs. Ekwono where to me an equally important issue is potentially paying Q Leo money vs. drafting a cheaper, potentially more productive replacement.  I guess we have another year, but it sort of limits JD's options in 2023.  JMO...

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

This is what has me scratching my head with JD's draft.  He never addressed the IDL even though the price for so-so production with second contracts has escalated dramatically.  The average salaries for Top 10 DT's are close to what Top 10 LT's are getting.  We spent months debating Becton vs. Ekwono where to me an equally important issue is potentially paying Q Leo money vs. drafting a cheaper, potentially more productive replacement.  I guess we have another year, but it sort of limits JD's options in 2023.  JMO...

Because unless you get Aaron Donald, like 80% of IDL are basically interchangeable.

14 minutes ago, jgb said:

Because unless you get Aaron Donald, like 80% of IDL are basically interchangeable.

If you can go to the street and pick up a guy like Conklin for $10 million gteed, why not roll the dice on the 20% chance you find an upgrade to Q vs. taking Ruckert?  And if you're leaning towards not paying Q big money for a second contract, why not draft his replacement now and do a Leo trade while his value is high with 2 years left on his rookie deal?

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

If you can go to the street and pick up a guy like Conklin for $10 million gteed, why not roll the dice on the 20% chance you find an upgrade to Q vs. taking Ruckert?  And if you're leaning towards not paying Q big money for a second contract, why not draft his replacement now and do a Leo trade while his value is high with 2 years left on his rookie deal?

I dunno. Not a scout. Don’t know much about prospects projected to be drafted that late.

Fair enough question, though.

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

Who were you thinking of?  Perrion Winfrey, I suppose?  I don't remember who was there, but that there were a couple of interesting EDGE/LB guys taken right after him in Tindall and Chenai.  I remember those guys more in terms of the mock than the Jets, so I am not sure who fits where.

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who were you thinking of?  Perrion Winfrey, I suppose?  I don't remember who was there, but that there were a couple of interesting EDGE/LB guys taken right after him in Tindall and Chenai.  I remember those guys more in terms of the mock than the Jets, so I am not sure who fits where.

Winfrey is a great example going 7 picks after Ruckert.  The guy I liked was the kid from UConn (Jones) but can't complain with JD trading the 3rd rounder to move up and get Johnson.

• Upvote 1