Scrimmage

19 minutes ago, maury77 said:

You didn't use the word retarded? How about you think before you type something you stupid f*ck. 

Don’t like the use of that word, either, but maybe we can dial the response down a notch. :) 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Mitchell was playing because McDermott  sustained an ankle injury. Both Becton and Fant are being rested as much as possible due to their knees. 

Mitchell was playing RT subbing in for Becton.

McD was playing LT subbing in for Fant.  Edoga came in at LT when McD went down. 

His injury had nothing to do with Mitchell playing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Litez said:

He is wrong on this one. Look at the play from this angle. It was a perfect throw. Whitehead was driving on it and would have been a very bad decision if he didn't lead to the outside of Davis

Stop yoru video at 5 seconds. IMO, that is when the ball is supposed to be coming out to Davis. AGAIN, Davis should have caught it anyway, my point is that Wilson's anticipation and timing were a hair off on the throw. 

Also, if this were a real game, Whitehead would have blown up the WR even with that particular ball location on the throw. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Mitchell was playing RT subbing in for Becton.

McD was playing LT subbing in for Fant.  Edoga came in at LT when McD went down. 

His injury had nothing to do with Mitchell playing. 

That isn't  how the NY post described it. 

https://nypost.com/2022/08/06/jets-get-visit-from-free-agent-offensive-tackle-duane-brown/

33 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I looked it up on PFF and Wilson-to-Davis has been bad. In 2021 alone, Davis dropped six of Wilson’s passes, and four of Wilson’s INTs came on passes intended for Corey Davis. That said, Wilson was a statistically inaccurate passer when throwing down field to his receivers. Even with Elijah Moore, he only completed 3 of the 13 passes he threw to him down the field, which is not great.

Lots of folks here thought berrios staying was a mistake.  But davis is going to be passed on the depth chart by garrett soon, and berrios will play over davis.  It’s davis who is the odd man out.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

Breece Hall still seems like some absurd dream: Jets actually drafted the best 3-down RB in the draft and the tape shows the guy has the vision AND Speed!?!?

it’s almost too good to be true, but we haven’t had a RB break a big 40+yard TD run at MetLife in front of the fans in YEARS!!!’ (Correction: RB in a Jets uniform,lol)

Adrian murrell

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

The location is fine, that isn't my point. My point is that it was thrown late. If he puts it in the same exact spot as Davis is coming out, Davis (assuming he catches the ball) would then be able to pick up another 5-10 yards of YAC. 

Its ok to allocate blame to more than 1 player on a given play. 

You're making a good point.  The timing could have been better and we're only 1/3rd the way through TC. Lots of time for correction. 

And you recognized the catch should have been made but I think the bigger problem is with Davis here, who has a history of being clean, getting 2 hands on the ball and failing the catch. 

Never is there an excuse for that kind of drop but Davis seems to be making a pattern of it. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Lots of folks here thought berrios staying was a mistake.  But davis is going to be passed on the depth chart by garrett soon, and berrios will play over davis.  It’s davis who is the odd man out.

I don’t think you can play Garrett Wilson at the X because he’d get eaten up.

4 minutes ago, PorP said:

You're making a good point.  The timing could have been better and we're only 1/3rd the way through TC. Lots of time for correction. 

And you recognized the catch should have been made but I think the bigger problem is with Davis here, who has a history of being clean, getting 2 hands on the ball and failing the catch. 

Never is there an excuse for that kind of drop but Davis seems to be making a pattern of it. 

@TomShane

Oh, I absolutely agree. I didn't like Davis in the top 10 of the 2017 draft and I've never been a big fan (I had him on my fantasy team a few times). Hopefully Davis is the 4th or 5th on team receptions this year because I don't think you can have a successful offense if he is your primary weapon in the passing game. 

Jets need to primarily run the offense through the backs, Moore and the TEs to be successful this year (I think Garrett Wilson will need a year or so because he's a rookie). 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, T0mShane said:

I don’t think you can play Garrett Wilson at the X because he’d get eaten up.

I think he can play anywhere, he’s extremely physically gifted wr who will get open.  He needs to be on the field as much as possible and i hope the jets don’t split any time with him and davis.  They didn’t take him 10th to have him split reps.  His speed is needed and davis is not even an average nfl wr.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, maury77 said:

@TomShane

Oh, I absolutely agree. I didn't like Davis in the top 10 of the 2017 draft and I've never been a big fan (I had him on my fantasy team a few times). Hopefully Davis is the 4th or 5th on team receptions this year because I don't think you can have a successful offense if he is your primary weapon in the passing game. 

Jets need to primarily run the offense through the backs, Moore and the TEs to be successful this year (I think Garrett Wilson will need a year or so because he's a rookie). 

Ya agreed on all,  I think @slats (?) Said something about mimsy stepping up. 

I'd like to see that from mims. I think you gotta have at least 1 big body WR in your top 3.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, neckdemon said:

i was there. and honestly except for the 2 bad throws at the end zach looked pretty good. made some beautiful throws. there were a number of pretty bad drops by the receivers. like drive killing drops that would have been big plays. also, fwiw, becton played pretty good. and breece hall just looks different.....he might be the best player on the team already. and sauce is going to be very very good

Nice post brother thanks for sharing. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m loathe to defend Zach, (and I think it’s telling that we’re all quibbling over one twenty yard incompletion in an attempt to lightly fluff his meh stats in a scrimmage), but Davis’s long-standing problem in the NFL is that he’s a gifted athlete who doesn’t really know how to play receiver. He needs to recognize that he has to sit down there, where he could have had a nice pitch and catch. Knowing that Davis plays such an integral role in the offense and is still making mistakes like that simply cannot be good for Zach’s development. 

Wilson is going to need to play like Jalen Hurts to be successful this season. The Jets need to let him run. Uzomah hyping up his athleticism I think may have been a subtle way of letting the team know to unleash his scramblings ability.

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

Davis should have caught that, however, the ball gets there late and is behind him. The QB needs to start releasing that when Davis gets to the top of his stem. That's not all on Davis. It is difficult to allocate blame on "drops" if you can't watch the play. 

Not a good ball from ZW. That same kind of late/behind throw was made to Corey on a third down last year in a game. Salah said that Zach has to throw a better ball but that Cory is paid to catch those kind of balls on third downs. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Nice post brother thanks for sharing. 

i came away from last night's scrimmage encouraged for the season. i feel like the team looked improved in almost every facet from last year's version. can't expect perfection obviously or nitpick every little detail imo. you gotta expect people to make the plays they should make most of the time. but yeah the improvement was noticeable. from zach's play to sauce's coverage i think we are in for a pleasant surprise this season. maybe not ready for the play-offs yet, but the team is going to be a lot more fun to watch

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Honestly, I think Zach won’t last three games if he tries to incorporate scrambling into his game. He’s all limbs when he runs and is still only 214 lbs. 

Exactly. That’s not his game. It’s nice that he has some athleticism to avoid a tackle or roll out, but I’m afraid he thinks he can be a running quarterback whenever he needs to be.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

At some point, he will overtake Davis on the outside.  But he has 0% to play over berrios in the slot.  Braxton Berrios is the starting slot receiver.  How long it will take Jet fans to accept this is up for debate.

I mean, our most talented lineup likely has Moore in the slot, but I guess this is where we are for now.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

@JiFapono

Here is how confident  the Jets are in Max Mitchell to backup the tackle positions.

https://nypost.com/2022/08/06/jets-get-visit-from-free-agent-offensive-tackle-duane-brown/

Waiting for my apology. 

Drop The Mic GIF by In Real Life

It will be very impressive when Duane Brown (if the Jets sign him) plays both T positions if both Fant and Becton are injured at the same time.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

Breece was my dream pick come true!  Great vision and elusiveness...with explosive WR speed and a 40" vertical.  

Because of Hall's presence...

You can't always play two high safeties to protect against the speed threat of outside wideouts like Moore and GW.  Due to Breece being a force as both a runner and receiver anytime you can get him just a little space to operate in.  He'll gash the D often enough that it will force a safety to start creeping into the box to try and contain him.  After this occurs a few times...then on one of those occasions...ZW will play action and throw it deep to Moore or GW...both will be running go routes.  With just one high safety to protect on the play.  LaFleur will set up a play like that for sure.  Then do variations off of it.  Where one of the receivers cuts off his go route and comes back and stops for a nice 15-20 yard gain.  Or it becomes a fade.  Or he slants over to the middle of the field and catches it and then it's YAC time. 

That's just a small sample of what LaFleur can dial up due to Hall's presence as a dual threat. 

Breece is the table setter for this offense.  The Queen on the Chess board. 

Breece is special.  And will allow ZW and this offense to be feast.       

I agree with this and the improved TEs will add to this because they are both accomplished blockers for hall and excellent receivers 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Mitchell was playing because McDermott  sustained an ankle injury. Both Becton and Fant are being rested as much as possible due to their knees. 

You're just embarrassing yourself at this point.   You should have stopped after the apology.