Zach Wilson EVERY PLAY from ?⚪ Scrimmage

Thanks for that clip.  I'm one of Zach's biggest fans, hoping he succeeds, and while I do see improvement, there's still a lot to clean up.  STOP looking at the guy you're gonna throw to.  Don't try to force it, find someone else or just get rid of it.  And if it looks like a 50/50 chance of completion/interception, throw it away.  Hopefully, because this is scrimmage, he's taking more chances than he will in games.  Go Zach!

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Video Credit: u/arhombus

Disclaimer: Almost every play*

Maybe I’m being too critical and it’s tough to take away from a not full go scrimmage…but his overall command still seems shaky to me. Holding the ball too long.

7 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Thanks for posting.  I dont think I realized this was virtually a game of 2 hand touch, grab ass.  I thought it was a little more live simulated than this nonsense, which makes me want to smack every single one of you for trying to take anything away from that silliness. 

Don't knock two-hand grab-ass until you've tried it.  

Wait...what?!

35 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The ants confirmed the reports.   If Zach’s decisive in running for free yards and sliding that will cause the other teams defense’s issues.  He needs to clean up those 2 bad throws, but it looked worlds better than last season.  

Fully agree. Zach can add an important aspect to his game by running, we all agree he's elusive, let's make the D game plan for it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Supersonic said:

Thanks for that clip.  I'm one of Zach's biggest fans, hoping he succeeds, and while I do see improvement, there's still a lot to clean up.  STOP looking at the guy you're gonna throw to.  Don't try to force it, find someone else or just get rid of it.  And if it looks like a 50/50 chance of completion/interception, throw it away.  Hopefully, because this is scrimmage, he's taking more chances than he will in games.  Go Zach!

1) He threw one INT's and it wasn't a 50/50 ball - he just didn't see the guy underneath - it's not good, not at all - but let's call it what it is.  In practice and scrimmages - he should continue to be aggressive and trying to win and learn the game.  It was a bad INT for sure.  

2) He's not staring down receivers.  Not even really a little bit.  What you're not seeing (or acknowledging if you are seeing it) are his reads and understanding the play call...

Particularly on the short throws.  There is nothing wrong with throwing the ball to your first read.  He doesn't need to look off 5 yard outs, hitch passes, quick hits over the middle etc...

He needs to have pre-snap reads to understand the D he's playing and get the ball out quick.

Anything that seemed to have gone more than 10 yards in the air he was absolutely looking off the safeties and LB's then moving his eyes back to his target.  It happens quick but that's the idea.

On the short balls - that were called as his first read were the only ones he wasn't looking off - and that's what he's supposed to be doing.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1) He threw one INT's and it wasn't a 50/50 ball - he just didn't see the guy underneath - it's not good, not at all - but let's call it what it is.  In practice and scrimmages - he should continue to be aggressive and trying to win and learn the game.  It was a bad INT for sure.  

2) He's not staring down receivers.  Not even really a little bit.  What you're not seeing (or acknowledging if you are seeing it) are his reads and understanding the play call...

Particularly on the short throws.  There is nothing wrong with throwing the ball to your first read.  He doesn't need to look off 5 yard outs, hitch passes, quick hits over the middle etc...

He needs to have pre-snap reads to understand the D he's playing and get the ball out quick.

Anything that seemed to have gone more than 10 yards in the air he was absolutely looking off the safeties and LB's then moving his eyes back to his target.  It happens quick but that's the idea.

On the short balls - that were called as his first read were the only ones he wasn't looking off - and that's what he's supposed to be doing.

I don't think I've agreed with any of your Zach takes since like November of 2020, but this one time on your second point, I agree. "Staring down receivers" doesn't apply in the short passing game, and that's exactly what LaFleur is looking to implement.

Granted it's a scrimmage, and I guess I don't really know what I was expecting. However, after watching, I know that I was expecting more. He still doesn't look anywhere near the FQB you and so many others promised he'd be - even in a grab-ass practice setting.

• Upvote 2

Maybe I’m seeing what I 2ant to see but I thought he looked athletic and totally in command.  
agreed on those runs defenses are going to have to keep an eye on that which should open up some opportunities.  Looks much less small physically which is also encouraging.  Thanks for posting the vid thought it was great. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I was only commenting on a few plays.  We all see things differently. You shouldn't judge based solely on your own perception.  Nobody's perfect.

18 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I don't think I've agreed with any of your Zach takes since like November of 2020, but this one time on your second point, I agree. "Staring down receivers" doesn't apply in the short passing game, and that's exactly what LaFleur is looking to implement.

Granted it's a scrimmage, and I guess I don't really know what I was expecting. However, after watching, I know that I was expecting more. He still doesn't look anywhere near the FQB you and so many others promised he'd be - even in a grab-ass practice setting.

Fair enough - but let me say this - in grab ass - it's actually tougher to make big plays - just because everything pretty much ends as soon as someone is near you.  There's no breaking tackles, no running away from would be tacklers etc.

With that said, Zach still has a long way to go - I was disappointed in his rookie year for sure - and don't expect him to look like a top 5 QB this year either - but I do expect to see real progress.  Consistent, competent QB play.  They'll still be plenty of mistakes and he'll have some really bad games - but I expect good ones and I think at the end of this year you'll see a QB..

That many here will still say isn't good enough to carry the team - but has grown tremendously.  It's a process - and I think the growth we're seeing is obvious.

10 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

I was only commenting on a few plays.  We all see things differently. You shouldn't judge based solely on your own perception.  Nobody's perfect.

I'm judging on the actual video evidence of the scrimmage video.  It's not a perception.  It's there.  You can see his head move, you can see it turn back to a WR...

Like I've said, there's plenty to dislike about Zach, plenty of places he still needs to grow, he's made plenty of mistakes and will continue to do so..

But he's not staring down receivers - it's there in the video.   That's all I was saying in that post.

The INT was bad, he missed an open WR in the flat that was really bad otherwise he was pretty good. he did nothing special but he was solid.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Because what he did is useless? I mean can you actually critically  look at this? 

I actually had no problem seeing the action in these videos. See, there's this little cross thingy in the lower right corner of the screen. Click on it and the video goes fullscreen. Amazing.

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Fair enough - but let me say this - in grab ass - it's actually tougher to make big plays - just because everything pretty much ends as soon as someone is near you.  There's no breaking tackles, no running away from would be tacklers etc.

With that said, Zach still has a long way to go - I was disappointed in his rookie year for sure - and don't expect him to look like a top 5 QB this year either - but I do expect to see real progress.  Consistent, competent QB play.  They'll still be plenty of mistakes and he'll have some really bad games - but I expect good ones and I think at the end of this year you'll see a QB..

That many here will still say isn't good enough to carry the team - but has grown tremendously.  It's a process - and I think the growth we're seeing is obvious.

I would jump the moon for him to be a top 5 QB, but realistically I'd be ecstatic with even just top half QB. I want the fundamental errors gone this season. That means no dirting swings and screens, no silly sacks, no self-inflicted INTs. If a good read and good throw is batted in the air and INT'd, or the defense just straight up fools him into an INT - that's acceptable. However, if he throws any more INTs like he did in the scrimmage where it's clearly bracket coverage from the snap and the LB is draped over the WR through the entire route, I'm going to lose my ******* mind.

In Lafleur's scheme with JD's personnel, I'm not expecting Zach to carry the load. It's built to be run-heavy. It'll be mostly short passes with a few shots sprinkled throughout each game; somewhere around 20-25 dropbacks. This offense organically generates low-impact QB play - meaning lower TDs but also lower INTs. So at the end of this year, I'm not expecting 30 TDs, but I am definitely expecting single digit INTs, 63%+ comp, and lots of YACs generated by quick decisions and good ball placement. And I want him to use his legs a lot more.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

The ants confirmed the reports.   If Zach’s decisive in running for free yards and sliding that will cause the other teams defense’s issues.  He needs to clean up those 2 bad throws, but it looked worlds better than last season.  

I want Zach to take those type of smart runs in order to make the defense respect his run ability.   Force the defense to deploy someone to focus on him and that means one less defender for pass coverage. 

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I would jump the moon for him to be a top 5 QB, but realistically I'd be ecstatic with even just top half QB. I want the fundamental errors gone this season. That means no dirting swings and screens, no silly sacks, no self-inflicted INTs. If a good read and good throw is batted in the air and INT'd, or the defense just straight up fools him into an INT - that's acceptable. However, if he throws any more INTs like he did in the scrimmage where it's clearly bracket coverage from the snap and the LB is draped over the WR through the entire route, I'm going to lose my ******* mind.

In Lafleur's scheme with JD's personnel, I'm not expecting Zach to carry the load. It's built to be run-heavy. It'll be mostly short passes with a few shots sprinkled throughout each game. This offense organically generates low-impact QB play - meaning lower TDs but also lower INTs. So at the end of this year, I'm not expecting 30 TDs, but I am definitely expecting single digit INTs, 63%+ comp, and lots of YACs generated by quick decisions and good ball placement.   

I think this is fair...

I mean the "No" silly sacks or N0 self inflicted INT's is a bit much but they should be few and far between.  Anything like last year should be unacceptable.  I think the comp % is a bit hight too - but should surely be over 60%

But that aside - I will hold you to this  :-)  If ZW looks like you're suggesting I would expect you to be positive about him.

19 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

I actually had no problem seeing the action in these videos. See, there's this little cross thingy in the lower right corner of the screen. Click on it and the video goes fullscreen. Amazing.

Yeah, so you make the screen larger so now they look like beetles.  

There is a reason people use binoculars  when sitting this far away. 

2 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

In a couple of LaFleur's pressers/interviews he has said that Zach is thinking too much.  Looking over the entire field to see what the defense is doing.  Instead LaFleur wants Zach to narrow his focus to his read on the play called.  If it's open...just throw it.  If not go to next read or if time is a factor then improvise or throw it away.   

I think Zach taking time to scan the whole field may be due to his natural aggressive instincts to look for a bigger play...it's probably his penchant for hero ball.  Which of course he needs to tone it down and be more smart in his decision making on when and when not to be that aggressive.  

I don't ever want Zach to stop being aggressive.  I do want him from play experience to be a better decision maker.  IMO his love for the game and his devotion to film study will get him to that level of FQB.  In this year two of his development if Zach goes 25 TDs and 10-13 INTs...then he's heading in the right direction.  If he slings it around at a 63% rate to all these talented playmakers Zach has to work with.  Big plays are gonna happen.  To put it in perspective...Josh Allen didn't get near 60% until his 3rd year. 

For me...I just can't wait for this TC-preseason stuff to be out of the way and get to the start of the season.

In that Muhammad Ali spirit...Jets are gonna shake up the NFL world this year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Yeah, so you make the screen larger so now they look like beetles.  

There is a reason people use binoculars  when sitting this far away. 

Try watching it on a PC instead of a phone. If you are using a PC, a visit to the ophthalmologist may be in order.

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this is fair...

I mean the "No" silly sacks or N0 self inflicted INT's is a bit much but they should be few and far between.  Anything like last year should be unacceptable.  I think the comp % is a bit hight too - but should surely be over 60%

But that aside - I will hold you to this  :-)  If ZW looks like you're suggesting I would expect you to be positive about him.

You might not believe me given how vocal I've been about not liking Zach for so long, but I assure you that nothing would make me happier as a Jets fan. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Maybe I’m being too critical and it’s tough to take away from a not full go scrimmage…but his overall command still seems shaky to me. Holding the ball too long.

Not what I am seeing at all. But frankly nothing can really be analyzed until Week 1.  Even the preseason is useless for this evaluation. 

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

You might not believe me given how vocal I've been about not liking Zach for so long, but I assure you that nothing would make me happier as a Jets fan. 

I believe you - I'm sure you would like him to succeed, but what success means will change in order to maintain a dislike (I'm not saying you're that person - but it does happen) 

Now we know what you would consider a successful year - I think it's a reasonable expectation.

4 hours ago, JiFapono said:

Thanks for posting.  I dont think I realized this was virtually a game of 2 hand touch, grab ass.  I thought it was a little more live simulated than this nonsense, which makes me want to smack every single one of you for trying to take anything away from that silliness. 

It’s a bit alarming how few real, game speed, 11 on 11 reps this first team offense is getting. This is one of the youngest offenses in football and as such, it needs way more practice. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, PS17 said:

It’s a bit alarming how few real, game speed, 11 on 11 reps this first team offense is getting. This is one of the youngest offenses in football and as such, it needs way more practice. 

Agreed. 

I'm assuming this is a strategy to combat the injuries, but I'm not the biggest fan. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Supersonic said:

Exactly...he stares down his target far too much and locks on it, then tends to force the ball there anyway.

Same as last year. There are other receivers open but he doesn't even look their way. Those guys just give up on their routes because they know the ball is not coming their way.

Not impressed.