Neeeeed More Breeeeece

On 9/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, Barry McCockinner said:

He was more involved this week but I'd really like to see more Breece on early downs, and get more rushing attempts. I love me some Michael Carter and all but Breece has another gear and is just a more explosive player. There have been a few Carter plays that looked like they could have turned into big gains w/a more explosive back.

Breece had 6 carries w1, 7 w2 and 8 w3. Carter has had 10, 7 and 11 yesterday. I'd much prefer to see Breece be the bell cow here with a 2/3rd share of the carries/routes. Usually it's the passing downs you stray away from rookie backs due to pass protection issues but w/Breece it is the other way around for some reason. He seems fine from what I've noticed in pass pro fwiw.

all for it.  the jets need a solid dose of ball control type offense.  there will be plenty of long ball chances once the jets prove they can move the chains at will.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:00 AM, Vader said:

Fumbles

• Hall:  1
  • Carter:  0

Dropped Passes

• Hall:  4 (leads league)
  • Carter:  0

Broken Tackles

• Hall:  1
  • Carter:  4

Tackle for Loss

• Hall:  4
  • Carter:  3

Call me old school or in the Parcells mold but 3 games into a career and a season and the fumbles / dropped passes alone plants an ass on the pine for lack of reliability. You get 3 downs to make something happen. There are no throwaway downs or justifiable dropped passes, let alone fumbles lost.

Carter > Hall until such time as this is corrected, in my book.

Week 4 update:

Hall

• 4.7 YPC
  • 113 yards receiving
  • 5.5 Yards per touch
  • 2 total TDs

Carter

• 4.2 YPC
  • 88 yards receiving
  • 4.3 yards per touch
  • 0 total TDs

Breece > Carter

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Week 4 update:

Hall

• 4.7 YPC
  • 113 yards receiving
  • 5.5 Yards per touch
  • 2 total TDs

Carter

• 4.2 YPC
  • 88 yards receiving
  • 4.3 yards per touch
  • 0 total TDs

Breece > Carter

I know this thread was started a few weeks ago but to the guy who insisted the Carter was better because "he didn't fumble" or something to that effect, I hope now understand what everyone has been trying to tell you.  Hall has the potential to be a franchise back.  I don't think anyone will be saying that about Carter.   At the same time, Carter has a lot to offer as well.  For the first time in forever, we have two very good backs one of whom as legit star potential.   Lets just sit back and watch as he gets more comfortable and the CS finds more ways to get him involved.  I think we will start seeing a much heavier dose of the running game going forward and both Hall and Carter will get their chance to contribute.  We just all realize that Hall has already shown that if he gets a little crease, he can get 10-15 yards out of it.  It is just a matter of time before he breaks a big one.  I remember back in the day, running backs like Earl Campbell and even Barry Sanders, might through 10 carries average maybe 3 or 4 yards or less and then BOOM off to the races for 30-50 yards.   I think Hall has that ability as well but in order to show it, you need to give him at least 12-15 carries a game.   I think if he can 15-18 carries he can average over 100 yards a game.   When is the last time we had a back we could say that about, much less a rookie back?  

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

I know this thread was started a few weeks ago but to the guy who insisted the Carter was better because "he didn't fumble" or something to that effect, I hope now understand what everyone has been trying to tell you.  Hall has the potential to be a franchise back.  I don't think anyone will be saying that about Carter.   At the same time, Carter has a lot to offer as well.  For the first time in forever, we have two very good backs one of whom as legit star potential.   Lets just sit back and watch as he gets more comfortable and the CS finds more ways to get him involved.  I think we will start seeing a much heavier dose of the running game going forward and both Hall and Carter will get their chance to contribute.  We just all realize that Hall has already shown that if he gets a little crease, he can get 10-15 yards out of it.  It is just a matter of time before he breaks a big one.  I remember back in the day, running backs like Earl Campbell and even Barry Sanders, might through 10 carries average maybe 3 or 4 yards or less and then BOOM off to the races for 30-50 yards.   I think Hall has that ability as well but in order to show it, you need to give him at least 12-15 carries a game.   I think if he can 15-18 carries he can average over 100 yards a game.   When is the last time we had a back we could say that about, much less a rookie back?  

Those are so rare, bordering on non-existent.  But it would sure be nice to have a RB that at least makes it to the end of his rookie deal still carrying huge value.  I think Hall has the makings of that.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Week 4 update:

Hall

• 4.7 YPC
  • 113 yards receiving
  • 5.5 Yards per touch
  • 2 total TDs

Carter

• 4.2 YPC
  • 88 yards receiving
  • 4.3 yards per touch
  • 0 total TDs

Breece > Carter

using the stats instead of your eyes can be deceiving.  Hall > Carter and I do like Carter.  Hall is way more talented.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

using the stats instead of your eyes can be deceiving.  Hall > Carter and I do like Carter.  Hall is way more talented.

Eh.  The board generally feels that way, but I am not so sure that should mean Hall gets a huge uptick in carries.  I think he will be great and everybody will feel vindicated, but I think he needs time to grow into his role.  Using the "eye test" I like what I have seen from Hall, but I feel less is more for now.  There were times he didn't look good picking up blocks in the backfield.  I think the drops stem from discomfort and "thinking" more than not having good hands.  I believe before the end of the year Hall will be getting considerably more carries than Carter, but for now I don't have a problem with it being 50-50 or a bit more in favor of Carter.

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Eh.  The board generally feels that way, but I am not so sure that should mean Hall gets a huge uptick in carries.  I think he will be great and everybody will feel vindicated, but I think he needs time to grow into his role.  Using the "eye test" I like what I have seen from Hall, but I feel less is more for now.  There were times he didn't look good picking up blocks in the backfield.  I think the drops stem from discomfort and "thinking" more than not having good hands.  I believe before the end of the year Hall will be getting considerably more carries than Carter, but for now I don't have a problem with it being 50-50 or a bit more in favor of Carter.

Jets are already trending towards more carries for Hall. 

It's happening sooner than later

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Those are so rare, bordering on non-existent.  But it would sure be nice to have a RB that at least makes it to the end of his rookie deal still carrying huge value.  I think Hall has the makings of that.  

Most talented RB we've had since Freeman McNeil?

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Jets are already trending towards more carries for Hall. 

It's happening sooner than later

I fully agree.  I just don't think "the coaching staff are idiots for not giving Hall more carries than Carter!  He needs all the work!"  I think they should be easing him in and slowly giving him more and more of the load.   I think that is what is happening and I think it is the right way to do it.  Sometimes these guys will have more impact in less snaps.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I fully agree.  I just don't think "the coaching staff are idiots for not giving Hall more carries than Carter!  He needs all the work!"  I think they should be easing him in and slowly giving him more and more of the load.   I think that is what is happening and I think it is the right way to do it.  Sometimes these guys will have more impact in less snaps.

Are people saying the coaching staff are idiots for not giving Hall more carries? I searched for the term idiots in this thread and your post is the only one that returned ...

• Haha 3

Hall is growing into the position; he is still a rookie, but every time he touches the ball, there is a chance for a big play. Jets are already working him into more of the offense. Still, there is is room for Carter. I especially like when they are both in the backside and Carter is the lead blocker.

26 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Are people saying the coaching staff are idiots for not giving Hall more carries? I searched for the term idiots in this thread and your post is the only one that returned ...

Excuse my exaggeration, but people were certainly complaining about that earlier in the season.  Pretty sure it was on a list of "fireable offenses" I read at some point.  Don't know about you, but I'd rather be called an idiot than fired.

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Hall is growing into the position; he is still a rookie, but every time he touches the ball, there is a chance for a big play. Jets are already working him into more of the offense. Still, there is is room for Carter. I especially like when they are both in the backside and Carter is the lead blocker.

That worked well twice against the Steelers. I imagine they can have some fun with that formation/personnel grouping with both of them being capable receivers.

• Upvote 1

On 10/4/2022 at 11:21 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

I think we have barely seen a glimpse of what this kid is capable of; as he gets more comfortable and LaFleur gets him more integrated into the offense, the sky is truly the limit for him.   His ability to catch the football gives him that added dimension.  I see his upside as a faster, more explosive and more athletic version of prime Laveon Bell. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I think we have barely seen a glimpse of what this kid is capable of; as he gets more comfortable and LaFleur gets him more integrated into the offense, the sky is truly the limit for him.   His ability to catch the football gives him that added dimension.  I see his upside as a faster, more explosive and more athletic version of prime Laveon Bell. 

this is funny actually because he is a lot more explosive than Bell. Bell was a patient runner, Hall is more aggressive. But he is more aggressive because he's more explosive. I see him more as Alvin Kamara on steroids. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Vader said:

this is funny actually because he is a lot more explosive than Bell. Bell was a patient runner, Hall is more aggressive. But he is more aggressive because he's more explosive. I see him more as Alvin Kamara on steroids. 

Hall has been compared to Bell because IS a very patient runner as well.  Go watch is college highlights; in fact, one of the things you can see he needed to work on is to hit the hole faster because our Oline isn't nearly as good as what he was used to in college.  I really don't see the Kamara comparison at all.  Both seem to be totally different type runners with Kamara being more elusive to me.   

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Me preparing for the capologists saying we should trade Breece in year 3.

Birdman Rubbing Hands GIF

From the lower ROI and an accelerated depreciation rate upon a 2nd contract for RBs, Definitely worth considering by Year 3 for a 3rd & a 5th if he refuses a 4 year extension and decides to play into UFA. 

Just now, 92ShaunEllis92 said:

From the lower ROI and an accelerated depreciation rate upon a 2nd contract for RBs, Definitely worth considering by Year 3 for a 3rd & a 5th if he refuses a 4 year extension and decides to play into UFA. 

Christmas come early!

• Haha 2