FYI for Dolphools using the QB3 excuse

4 hours ago, Xtina said:

They didn’t lose because of Skylar. He actually played pretty well and got them some key PI’s to advance drives 

Respectfully, those 2 PI penalties were some of the worst calls I’ve seen in a very long time. Never-mind the fact that Corey Davis was literally tackled on a 4th & 1, Tyler Conklin was being held up and pushed on a deep ball, but the refs swallowed the whistle, making it all feel very one-sided in terms of officiating.  Before garbage time kicked in (I consider that to be after the Lawson strip sack), he might have genuinely had more yardage via PI than he did actually passing the ball.

I don’t know what he’ll, ultimately, become, but it was a rough going for that kid.  I think a week of reps with the 1s will probably help so I won’t kill him, but this should serve as a fair warning to anyone who falls in love with these preseason “lighter uppers”.  Thompson was basically the Dolphins version of Streveler.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

We'll never know. Tua did throw 4 TDs in the 4th quarter vs. Baltimore to overcome a 35-14 deficit. 

Consider that all 3 of our TDs in the 4th quarter all came on failed Miami drives that gave us shorter fields. Prior to those 3 consecutive failed Miami drives it was a 2-point game. The Jets TD before that also game after a momentum-shifting interception that Tua might not have thrown there.

Granted they'd have still had to actually do it against us with Tua instead of awarding him a victory for a game he missed, but it's not really far-fetched. We may not have had that 3 TD lead in the first place if Miami wasn't down to a 3rd string rookie QB.

Screw them anyway. We've lost how many starting tackles this year, so shoulda-woulda-coulda. Even with Tua they were 2 plays away from entering this game at 1-3. You don't take this victory away from the Jets any more than you take those away from Miami.

Also eff them, lol.

Yesterday’s game was much closer than the scoreboard shows you. Dolphins were kicking a 50/50 FG for a lead in the 4th and I was worried if they had made that, I don’t think we would’ve gone on to score 3 TDs. I think the momentum would have shifted and we would’ve been staring at fire Salah/JD threads. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jet2020 said:

Yesterday’s game was much closer than the scoreboard shows you. Dolphins were kicking a 50/50 FG for a lead in the 4th and I was worried if they had made that, I don’t think we would’ve gone on to score 3 TDs. I think the momentum would have shifted and we would’ve been staring at fire Salah/JD threads. 

Actually it was a lot less close than it should have been. The only reason the dolphins were in the game was because of two BOGUS pi calls followed up by miraculous 3rd down conversions on plays that should have been turnovers.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Actually it was a lot less close than it should have been. The only reason the dolphins were in the game was because of two BOGUS pi calls followed up by miraculous 3rd down conversions on plays that should have been turnovers.

I honestly don’t know which of the PIs calls was worse; the one on Gardner or the one on Carter II.  They were both so egregiously bad.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jet2020 said:

Could be, we'll never know. I mostly agree with you, but at the same time I will not award Tua a victory he didn't get. Even if he played, and even if he'd been playing well before our game, he still has to do it again when we actually play.

Also it was much closer than the scoreboard shows chiefly because of two very-downfield DPI calls. Hard to say if that same thing happens with a different QB (even if it's a better one), as the individual coverage & D calls may change as well, for better or worse. 

Anyway he doesn't get any presumed wins. He isn't Allen/Mahomes/etc. yet. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I honestly don’t know which of the PIs calls was worse; the one on Gardner or the one on Carter II.  They were both so egregiously bad.

Two of the worst I've seen in a long time. 

And if what Sauce did was PI, then how was the deep throw to Conklin not PI? 

PI needs to be rethought in the league office, IMO. The refs don't call it consistently and they are such huge, game-changing calls. 

• Upvote 1

Heres my thought:

The Jets are clearly a more talented team that the Dolphins. They just are. Miami has one of the most dynamic players in the NFL and one the biggest scumbag POS players in Hill, and Waddle is pretty dynamic as well. But that's it really. Jets have Hall and Sauce and Garrett and DJ Reed and Lawson and Quinnen etc... Tua was not going to make up for that. Skylar was really not that bad, the Jets just basically shut down Waddle and the POS with Reed and Sauce, and then exploited our edge contain until Ulbrich got his head out of his ass and went away from Nickel and finally just let Reed and Saucy Sauce Gardner do their thing. Also, there is no question in my mind now that Sauce is at least Top 10 if not Top 5 CB in the entire NFL already. He is better than Revis in Revis' rookie year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Dolphins fans are pretty pissed about this. 

Does it concern folks that these head injury "spotters" can rule a player out on a whim without any corroborating video evidence? This seems like a problem to me. 

Agreed, but the point of this thread was to show that if you polled dolphins fans, 90% wanted Thompson to start over Teddy- so using this as an excuse for the loss after the fact is laughable 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, SuicidalSince98 said:

Agreed, but the point of this thread was to show that if you polled dolphins fans, 90% wanted Thompson to start over Teddy- so using this as an excuse for the loss after the fact is laughable 

Sure.  

I don't care about Dolphins fans and their excuses. I'm just worried about this policy and how arbitrary it is. This is a huge overreaction to what happened with Tua. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Dolphins fans are pretty pissed about this. 

Does it concern folks that these head injury "spotters" can rule a player out on a whim without any corroborating video evidence? This seems like a problem to me. 

This can’t be any worse than the roughing the passer penalties.  Truth i thought sauce was going to get flagged for that.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

This can’t be any worse than the roughing the passer penalties.  Truth i thought sauce was going to get flagged for that.

Yep, me too. 

The thing is, this is taking a QB out of the game. This is bigger than a bad penalty. And the criteria is poorly defined and apparently doesn't have to be documented. Wait until this happens to a star QB in a big spot who was totally fine and didn't have anything close to a concussion. If there is no video evidence of a stumble, there is going to be outrage - and rightfully so, IMO. 

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Prediction;

Dolphins implode on the back of this + Tua-Teddy-brain-gate, McDaniel gets fired @ seasons end.

Big victory propels Jets to 10-7 season. Wilson becomes franchise QB.

Lafleur hired to HC position in Arizona or Washington.

Jets hire McDaniel as OC. 

Dolphins will be fine if Tua comes back healthy (sounds like he will), but where do I sign for this?

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep, me too. 

The thing is, this is taking a QB out of the game. This is bigger than a bad penalty. And the criteria is poorly defined and apparently doesn't have to be documented. Wait until this happens to a star QB in a big spot who was totally fine and didn't have anything close to a concussion. If there is no video evidence of a stumble, there is going to be outrage - and rightfully so, IMO. 

Still i can’t help but think that at least part of the bridgewater decision was b/c it was on the dolphins and the nfl does not trust their medical staff.  It didn’t happen to berrios.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Still i can’t help but think that at least part of the bridgewater decision was b/c it was on the dolphins and the nfl does not trust their medical staff.  It didn’t happen to berrios.

That's fine - It still looks like an absurd decision to take him out of that game, IMO. Where is the stumble? This is a slippery slope and people here will be screaming if that happens to Zach Wilson or any player we care about

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:54 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

The other part of my post suggests Tua wouldn't have to overcome a 3-TD deficit in the 4th quarter. If he was starting it's unlikely they'd have been in that 3-TD hole in the first place. 

Jets 2nd TD was after Sauce picked off a pass at midfield. I can't penalize Tua with throwing that same tipped-pass pick if he was on the field, just because their 3rd stringer did it.

Jets 3rd TD was after Miami couldn't get closer than a 53-yard attempt, which they then missed, giving the Jets a shorter field after that momentum swing.

Jets 4th TD was after a strip sack to the rookie's blind side (which isn't Tua's blind side), with the Jets starting the next possession already in the RZ.

Jets 5th TD after Miami turned it over on downs on their own 30. Only reason they even attempted that is because of all the above happened in Tua's absence.

Final drive, Miami turned it over on downs on the Jets' 14 (doing that itself being the result of the above). But you don't swap in Tua and then say ok here is the artificial starting point where he'd have to win the game by throwing 3 fast TDs. That's some artificial stacking of the deck.

We may have very well won the game anyway, but the likelihood is Miami wouldn't be in that identical 4th quarter situation (trailing by 23 with <5 min left) had Tua started.

Meh. If Tua is in they are going to pass more. If they pass more, they are passing against Reed and Sauce who were very effective in shutting them down outside of really suspect PI calls. The game might have been less close if Tua plays, who knows? And you can't just discount the shorter field scores because they were touchdowns and Miami was not really stopping the Jets in the 4th quarter. We won by 23 points. It was decisive and not like the Jets have no injuries.

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, johnnysd said:

Heres my thought:

The Jets are clearly a more talented team that the Dolphins. They just are. Miami has one of the most dynamic players in the NFL and one the biggest scumbag POS players in Hill, and Waddle is pretty dynamic as well. But that's it really. Jets have Hall and Sauce and Garrett and DJ Reed and Lawson and Quinnen etc... Tua was not going to make up for that. Skylar was really not that bad, the Jets just basically shut down Waddle and the POS with Reed and Sauce, and then exploited our edge contain until Ulbrich got his head out of his ass and went away from Nickel and finally just let Reed and Saucy Sauce Gardner do their thing. Also, there is no question in my mind now that Sauce is at least Top 10 if not Top 5 CB in the entire NFL already. He is better than Revis in Revis' rookie year.

Is Sauce really top 10 CB already?  that is a very bold statement.

43 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

bingo.

berrios should have been taken out of the game as it looked like he got hit in the head (from the slow motion replay).