The next QB of the Jets should be....

sourceworx

...Nathan Rourke.

Canadian native who played college ball at Ohio. He wasn't drafted in the NFL because he was undersized and very raw, and ended up with the BC Lions in the CFL. He sat his first season behind a long time starter in that league, and worked on improving his mechanics. He got his shot to start this year, and absolutely lit it up. Made some legit NFL-caliber throws. If he hadn't suffered from a bad foot injury in June, this kid would have broken multiple CFL passing records with room to spare, and ran away with the CFL equivalent MVP award.

He fought his way back from the injury to play the last few weeks of the season.

Canadians are in love with him, because he's one of them.

The CFL season just ended, and Rourke is now trying out for NFL teams. The Jets should be one of them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nathan-rourke-nfl-opportunity-1.6658349

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1

He would be worth bringing in for a look see but I wouldn't totally hold my breath on him.  He was really good until he got hurt this year, his brother who plays for Ohio right now might be better than him.

If the Jets do not make a 'bold' move for a QB the guy I would like as a next level guy is Huntley the backup for the Ravens.  In his limited playing time he has looked very good to me.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Zach Wilson backed up by Gardner Minshew!

If this team has Gardner Minshew and they start Zach Wilson short of a complete turnaround, that would be very sad. Minshew backs up QBs like Jalen Hurts, not Sack Wilson.

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

If this team has Gardner Minshew and they start Zach Wilson short of a complete turnaround, that would be very sad. Minshew backs up QBs like Jalen Hurts, not Sack Wilson.

Truth!

I think in that competition Minshew wins!  He can be had for a reasonable amount of money as opposed to 150 Million plus for an slightly above QB in Jimmy G…

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

What in the false start were these plays? I need to watch the CFL. Looks like fun.

They allow more motion and you can motion towards the line of scrimmage, ala getting  running start, unfortunately the refs give way too much leeway and let the offensive guys get away with murder being offsides.

Also, if I was named king of the world my very first act would be to ban all music on football highlight videos on penalty of death.

To be honest a lot of things that were seen as great innovations in the NFL came from the CFL long before.  (4 wr sets, smaller rush ends)

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Truth!

I think in that competition Minshew wins!  He can be had for a reasonable amount of money as opposed to 150 Million plus for an slightly above QB in Jimmy G…

Agreed. IMO Minshew is a severely underrated QB. He has spent most of his career on a crappy Jags team and still has thrown for 41 TDs and only 12 INTs in 22 games started, with nearly 6000 total yards. The only reasons he isn't a starter in the league right now is 1) He's behind Jalen Hurts and 2) His record as starting QB (8-14) isn't appetizing even though that's a crappy metric.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

...Nathan Rourke.

Canadian native who played college ball at Ohio. He wasn't drafted in the NFL because he was undersized and very raw, and ended up with the BC Lions in the CFL. He sat his first season behind a long time starter in that league, and worked on improving his mechanics. He got his shot to start this year, and absolutely lit it up. Made some legit NFL-caliber throws. If he hadn't suffered from a bad foot injury in June, this kid would have broken multiple CFL passing records with room to spare, and ran away with the CFL equivalent MVP award.

He fought his way back from the injury to play the last few weeks of the season.

The CFL season just ended, and Rourke is now trying out for NFL teams. The Jets should be one of them.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nathan-rourke-nfl-opportunity-1.6658349

How many injuries .. i don't want to go down the oft injured route again. Also ... could not finish that video due to bleeding ears. I think after the 15th use of the autotuned 'N' word I lost consciousness.

Edited by Dunnie
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, sourceworx said:

...Nathan Rourke.

The ABZ approves of this thread! 

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

To be honest a lot of things that were seen as great innovations in the NFL came from the CFL long before.  (4 wr sets, smaller rush ends)

CFL gets a bad wrap, but it is a great game.  If they had the play-by-play announcers and colour commentators like the NFL, would be an even better experience.  The fans are VERY loyal.  And there is some good talent.  Typically, a bunch of guys not big enough or just a hair under the talent level of the NFL.  

Rourke is making those throws, isn't he?  Given the field is wider and the ball is slightly larger, he is throwing some darts there.  

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

CFL gets a bad wrap, but it is a great game.  If they had the play-by-play announcers and colour commentators like the NFL, would be an even better experience.  The fans are VERY loyal.  And there is some good talent.  Typically, a bunch of guys not big enough or just a hair under the talent level of the NFL.  

Rourke is making those throws, isn't he?  Given the field is wider and the ball is slightly larger, he is throwing some darts there.  

Ill give the kid that for sure ... crazy arm.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

I always casually watched a CFL game here or there in the past. However I really got into it this season, as I was bracing myself for another year of unwatchable Jets football. Totally hooked on it now.

I love the rules, and the talent level is a lot better than people give it credit for. 

10 hours ago, gastineau_intestinal_tract said:

i said it a couple of weeks ago jokingly.  although it's not that big of a stretch of potentially happening.  brady will be a FA at the end of the year  and will take a short term, less money contract.    the up and coming jets have appeal right now as well.

EQmGCWbX0AMlScF.jpg

I NEVER EVER thought I would say this, but I would 100% be up for this. The drama alone would be worthwhile. He would love to stick it to BB ad NOTHING would stick it to BB more than winning a SB with the Jets and ending the Jets curse. Do it JD!

• Upvote 1
  • Ugh 1

12 hours ago, sourceworx said:

...Nathan Rourke.

A veteran.  If you want to draft a QB, that's fine but the team is ready to roll now.  **** Projects.

• Upvote 1

Why not take a look at him?  He had a spectacular season, phenomenal really.  He’s only 24 and quite articulate - says the right things. Strong arm is obvious.   Would like to see how quick he reads the defense and his pass options.  His highlights seem to show a plethora of medium to long range passes.  Of course NFL defenders would be much harder to beat.  His equivalent NFL completion percentage probably between 60-65%.  Confidence is through the roof.