Max Mitchell: blood clots

Larz

3 minutes ago, clayton163v said:

Tell me those with medical training.  Do those drugs keep you out of the weight room?  Let's hope not. 

I have no medical training and am kind of an idiot but I am on those medications and go to the gym all the time.  In fact I'm jacked af. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Pac said:

Ah.. I've been on warfarin a decade and been pretty easy to keep in between 2 and 3 but did not realize it can be especially difficult for some. 

That’s awesome, always nice when it works out. 

Likewise, hope it’s a one-off for Mitchell and he’s able to resume his playing  career. 

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

******* pitiful that a lot of you immediately had him with substance abuse and scandals. 

Good luck to MM!

I'm sure that's why he or his agent told Connor what was up..  Nip the wild scenarios in the bud.  It's no big deal but good sense and more importantly hipaa kept Saleh quiet. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Larz said:

What if he has factor V Leiden ?

I've got that and some other clotting thing.

2 hours ago, Pac said:

I guess he retires and is on warfarin for life.. 

Isn't warfarin like one step above cumadin?  I think Xarelto pays the most money out to try to be number one in the market, but I still clotted up in one leg, so they switched me to Elequis

2 hours ago, Larz said:

yup. I failed on elequis and xarelto so it’s lovanox for me. 

Ugh.  They switched me to elequis from xarelto in February and seem okay with it.  My story is kind of like @Pac's.  I would get a swollen leg sometimes on trips - driving back and forth NY to DC, or flights when I lived overseas.  Eventually it was pretty bad.  Went to the doctor and they thought it was a turned ankle,  Kept telling them it wasn't so they scheduled me for an ultrasound.  In two weeks.  My wife tried to get me an earlier appointment and the woman scheduling said "is this to rule out DVT?"  My wife said yes and she told her that I should go to the ER cause that killed her ex-husband.  Couldn't talk my wife out of it, but I did sit down and eat dinner before heading to the ER for an ultrasound.  Clots in my calves. They were getting ready to release me when the chest CT came back with bilateral PE.  ******* A.  I guys my lungs were "asymptomatic" or whatever because nobody expected it. When they started breaking up it was pretty painful, but otherwise mostly just terror, not actual discomfort.

Get well quick Max Mitchell and be healthy.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I've got that and some other clotting thing.

Isn't warfarin like one step above cumadin?  I think Xarelto pays the most money out to try to be number one in the market, but I still clotted up in one leg, so they switched me to Elequis

Ugh.  They switched me to elequis from xarelto in February and seem okay with it.  My story is kind of like @Pac's.  I would get a swollen leg sometimes on trips - driving back and forth NY to DC, or flights when I lived overseas.  Eventually it was pretty bad.  Went to the doctor and they thought it was a turned ankle,  Kept telling them it wasn't so they scheduled me for an ultrasound.  In two weeks.  My wife tried to get me an earlier appointment and the woman scheduling said "is this to rule out DVT?"  My wife said yes and she told her that I should go to the ER cause that killed her ex-husband.  Couldn't talk my wife out of it, but I did sit down and eat dinner before heading to the ER for an ultrasound.  Clots in my calves. They were getting ready to release me when the chest CT came back with bilateral PE.  ******* A.  I guys my lungs were "asymptomatic" or whatever because nobody expected it. When they started breaking up it was pretty painful, but otherwise mostly just terror, not actual discomfort.

Get well quick Max Mitchell and be healthy.

Sorry to hear about that. I got bilateral PEs and a long dvt after knee surgery, then 6 months later covid gifted me with extensive PEs and a longer dvt in the other leg. 

looking at the tweet again, it seems like the jets don’t think it’s a long term issue so I think that would indicate he doesn’t have leiden 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Sorry to hear about that. I got bilateral PEs and a long dvt after knee surgery, then 6 months later covid gifted me with extensive PEs and a longer dvt in the other leg. 

looking at the tweet again, it seems like the jets don’t think it’s a long term issue so I think that would indicate he doesn’t have leiden 

They told me that it didn't have to do with covid, but we have our doubts.  I certainly never had anything that seemed remotely serious previously, but I guess I am getting old.  That other "disorder" they said I have might be from covid or something else, but the hematologist did not seem too concerned.  He said that since I had the Force Factor 5 as we call it, the treatment would not change.  I think Force Factor 5 is the name of the pilot that Mrs. Mia Wallace's wife did in Pulp Fiction.

• Upvote 1

Turns out he has a genetic condition that can lead to blood clots. I would assume this was known by teams and scouts, which may be one of the reasons he dropped to the fourth round.

Jets OT Max Mitchell dealing with blood clots, says father

4:53 PM ET
  • cimini_rich.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Rich CiminiESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets rookie offensive tackle Max Mitchell, sidelined for the remainder of the season after being placed on the non-football injury list, was discovered to have blood clots in his right calf and lung, his father told ESPN on Thursday.

Mitchell has a hereditary blood-clotting condition called factor V Leiden, according to John Mitchell. Max Mitchell is on blood-thinning medication and is expected to make a full recovery, his father said, adding that it's not career-threatening.

"It should not affect his career long term," John Mitchell said. "Of course, we're taking a big, great deep breath with all of this, but his future is promising."

Max Mitchell, who made his fifth start at right tackle Sunday, was removed in the second quarter because he was "struggling," Saleh said after the 27-22 loss to the Minnesota Vikings. Mitchell was experiencing side pain and was having trouble breathing, his father said.

Initially, it was thought to be muscle spasms, but the symptoms persisted, so he went for tests on Monday, which revealed the clots. He might be on the blood thinners for a few months, but that can vary.

Mitchell was a fourth-round draft pick from Louisiana. This was supposed to be a developmental season, but he was pressed into action because of injuries. He was the opening-day starter at right tackle and started the first four games before a knee injury sidelined him for six games. He came off the bench in Week 12 against the Chicago Bears. In the subsequent days, he started experiencing the symptoms, John Mitchell said.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

19 hours ago, Larz said:

Strictly speaking it can hit anyone, but Max Mitchell from northern Louisiana? I wasn't expecting it - that plus a football career - but it's confirmed he does have it. 

I guess they're playing a game of let's put him on thinners until everything's confirmed 100% clear, then give it a good week or two to fully get (whatever thinner he's on) out of his system so his Sunday bruises don't turn into uncontrollable internal bleeding.

Crazy that he's knowingly been playing with it this whole time.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Strictly speaking it can hit anyone, but Max Mitchell from northern Louisiana? I wasn't expecting it - that plus a football career - but it's confirmed he does have it. 

I guess they're playing a game of let's put him on thinners until everything's confirmed 100% clear, then give it a good week or two to fully get (whatever thinner he's on) out of his system so his Sunday bruises don't turn into uncontrollable internal bleeding.

Crazy that he's knowingly been playing with it this whole time.

My guess is his blood tests didn’t show any clotting abnormalities.  It’s good of you to acknowledge that he does have it ? 

not sure what northern Louisiana has to do with it?   All populations get Leiden factor V  but Germanic populations are a little more prone to  Leiden factor V so I wasn’t surprised. 

oops he does have Leiden lol.  I’m shocked he hasn’t been ruled out permanently.  I would not expect to ever see him play football again. It’s crazy. 

22 hours ago, Pac said:

I'm sure that's why he or his agent told Connor what was up..  Nip the wild scenarios in the bud.  It's no big deal but good sense and more importantly hipaa kept Saleh quiet. 

Hippa has nothing to do with it. That’s why shefter didn’t get in trouble for the scoop on JPPs fingers 

20 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

They told me that it didn't have to do with covid, but we have our doubts.  I certainly never had anything that seemed remotely serious previously, but I guess I am getting old.  That other "disorder" they said I have might be from covid or something else, but the hematologist did not seem too concerned.  He said that since I had the Force Factor 5 as we call it, the treatment would not change.  I think Force Factor 5 is the name of the pilot that Mrs. Mia Wallace's wife did in Pulp Fiction.

The ER doc told me covid was hyper coagulative, and they treat all covid inpatients with thinners. 

On 12/8/2022 at 1:51 PM, Pac said:

Why not Warfarin?  Seems better than shots.  Way less expensive too. 

Warfarin level/treatment is much more difficult to adequately control and requires regular blood tests to monitor the level/PT…usually every 2-4 weeks so it’s kind of difficult for everyone to manage that. 

37 minutes ago, Larz said:

Fascinating.  Please elaborate. 

No one knows, but while rare, thrombosis has been reported as a possible side effect of the mRNA vaccines (more so JNJ but can occur with all of them). 

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/new-study-updates-evidence-on-rare-blood-clotting-condition-after-covid-19-vaccination/

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

Warfarin level/treatment is much more difficult to adequately control and requires regular blood tests to monitor the level/PT…usually every 2-4 weeks so it’s kind of difficult for everyone to manage that. 

If not it’s basically evolved from rat poison. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

There is nothing to debate, the vaccine causes myocarditis, I got it from the vaccine and nearly died from it

First actual account I've ever heard of someone that got it from the vaccine.  I know there have been rare cases that are primarily 21 and younger.  Everything I've read and heard says that you're much more likely to contract myocarditis (with more severe cases) from covid than you are the vaccine.

I never said contracting it was impossible but it's exceedingly rare with most cases being mild.  One of the dr's in here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Glad you're ok but you are a huge outlier..  Just like I was when I was minding my own business and out of nowhere got a DVT that led to a PE.

I've gotten 3 doses of the vaccine, got my flu shot this year, and I eat f***ing rat poison every night.  I was much more worried about my health back in the drug and drinking days than I am now.

• Upvote 2