Max Mitchell: blood clots

Larz

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Assuming the whole hematology work up comes back ok.  It should.

Vinny Curry came back after a year, but Chris Bosh had to retire.

Factor 5, right?  Gives idea of your genetic predisposition to clotting. 

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Factor 5, right?  Gives idea of your genetic predisposition to clotting. 

That's a big one, there's a slew of others; Prothrombin, Protein C or S stuff

Basically, if there's a molecule/protein in your body then there's a disease associated with it if it's not working properly; and regarding clotting, it is shocking how complex the "coagulation cascade" is.  The number of different proteins and factors that need to be in perfect balance to make and then dissolve clots.  If just one of them is off, you over-clot or bleed.  This cascade happens every time you cut your finger or fall down.

It probably is a one-off for this kid and I assume they've already done all the bloodwork panels and that's why they are able to say he'll be fine next year.  But one clotting episode does increase your chances of future clots.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Pac said:

Why not Warfarin?  Seems better than shots.  Way less expensive too. 

It interferes with just about every medication (which can make you less or more likely depending on the interaction) and also is dependent upon maintaining a fairly strict dietary regimen e.g. can be thrown off by alcohol on one simple night having a few extra drinks  out with your friends.  One of the big indicators when we talk about tissue for mechanical valves with some of these youngerish people. Managing your INR can be easy for some and an absolute beast for others. 

7 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

It interferes with just about every medication (which can make you less or more likely depending on the interaction) and also is dependent upon maintaining a fairly strict dietary regimen e.g. can be thrown off by alcohol on one simple night having a few extra drinks  out with your friends.  One of the big indicators when we talk about tissue for mechanical valves with some of these youngerish people. Managing your INR can be easy for some and an absolute beast for others. 

Ah.. I've been on warfarin a decade and been pretty easy to keep in between 2 and 3 but did not realize it can be especially difficult for some. 

• Upvote 1

Get well big guy.  You have a BRIGHT future.  Jet fans know the scouting report - to paraphrase: inexperienced, needs to get stronger, great feet and enough length to play either side.  Will contend to start on either side after adding strength in the lower half.   Ourlads said "he needs a personal key to the weight room."

It was both a blessing and a tough break for the Jets that he got thrown into the fire.  I would have preferred he spent the year in that weight room and been next year's pleasant surprise.  Well we found out what we drafted when we threw young Max into the deep end of the pool.  Bully for the Jets and for Max Mitchell.  I am looking forward to next year with this young man.  As things now stand, he does not owe us - we owe him.   

I am glad the Jets caught it.  Hopefully there will be no complications and he will be ready for training camp.

Tell me those with medical training.  Do those drugs keep you out of the weight room?  Let's hope not. 

• Upvote 1