Why everyone loves Mike White - Athletic

slats

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If Mike White can get 5% better over the next three weeks, he’s going to be a million-watt megastar with a massive contract in hand. If he gets 5% worse, he’s backing up Justin Herbert next season on a one-year deal.

Camaraderie-wise Mike White is becoming the new Fitzpatrick here (minus the over-inflated douche ego).

I'd say Mike F'n White has the next 3 weeks to become Glen Foley or pre-injury Pennington.

As much as we all obviously want a win today he just needs to play well not great. 

Detroit and Jax will be the final determination on his future here. Win those and we're still in the hunt with 2 winnable games to get into the tournament and in line for a pay day this offseason. Lose those and re-enter Zack Attack against Seattle.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I saw that stat this morning and it makes perfect sense. This defense is probably a bit overrated. Still missing a bunch of pieces. 

Can’t wait until Mike White’s post interview gets noticed when he’s like,” yeah, be nice if those bitches can get us off field on 3rd down and Dorothy’s little dog Toto can catch a damn game  winner !” 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately, this also tells us, tacitly, that the team really doesn't feel the same way about Zach Wilson.

The fact that the team has taken to White so warmly tells you that a lot of the players really aren't sold on Wilson, be it as a QB, team leader or person.

No articles saying that the players can't wait for Wilson to come back. That tells us a lot without actually saying anything.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Unfortunately, this also tells us, tacitly, that the team really doesn't feel the same way about Zach Wilson.

The fact that the team has taken to White so warmly tells you that a lot of the players really aren't sold on Wilson, be it as a QB, team leader or person.

No articles saying that the players can't wait for Wilson to come back. That tells us a lot without actually saying anything.

You must've missed the last sentence below.  

He goes out of his way to spend time with his teammates at the facility — playing games, talking sports, cracking jokes — and the chemistry he shares with them is palpable. “He’s got something special about him,” wide receiver Garrett Wilson said Sunday.  Oh, and Zach Wilson has a strong arm.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I like Mike White too. But we don’t need these types of articles yet. After last weeks red zone performance, you have to remain skeptical if he’s the guy or not.

I’m trying to keep my mind open to all Mike White possibilities. The fact that he’s a free agent this year complicates things. 

16 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

It probably does, although a couple players were wearing Zach Wilson t-shirts at one point, too. It’s an obvious fluff piece here, but it does show a little behind the scenes of what it looks like in public. It would be surprising if some players were saying that they couldn’t wait until Zach got back, but I also don’t think anyone is going to say anything that isn’t in support of the starting QB - which is White right now. They want to win, and White currently gives them the best chance. It’s that simple. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

53 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Continuation of a theme that’s followed him since his sophomore year at BYU. Wilson is aloof and rubs teammates the wrong way. 

Regardless of what MW has done up until now, the way he plays today is probably going to shape most people's feeling about him.

If we get blown out, people will start to question if he can play against good teams.

A close loss where he plays well, it'll still be a feel-good thing (like the Vikings game). 

A close loss where he plays badly, it'll start to feel like he's not good enough.  Maybe people will start saying "ZW played better against them" and there will be talk about bringing ZW back.

If we win, the frenzy will really begin.

• Upvote 2

MIke F'n White is the man of the hour right now... He plays with a calm, that ZW just doesn't have right now. You can see it when he's taking his 3-5-7 step drops and then delivering the ball. Does he have Zach's arm talent, no, but what he does have is something that Zach doesn't and that's a presence in the pocket. He understands, where the ball needs to go and usually gets it there. If he had Zach's arm talent, he might never see the bench again. If he plays the way he's been playing and then we have a good chance to beat the Bills

• Upvote 1

I continue to be amazed at all of the trial lawyers every week considering White's status. Every week it's "yea, but can he repeat what he did, or Well he DIDN'T beat the Vikings, so this must still mean it's still Zach's job."

Mike White is a legitimate franchise QB for this team. He is Kenny O'Brien with a shot to become the next Namath. He's more like Brady in QB-ing style than Pennington. I think White is going to be the guy who wins the next Jets SuperBowl and it may just be this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

MIke F'n White is the man of the hour right now... He plays with a calm, that ZW just doesn't have right now. You can see it when he's taking his 3-5-7 step drops and then delivering the ball. Does he have Zach's arm talent, no, but what he does have is something that Zach doesn't and that's a presence in the pocket. He understands, where the ball needs to go and usually gets it there. If he had Zach's arm talent, he might never see the bench again. If he plays the way he's been playing and then we have a good chance to beat the Bills

Wait, whoa whoa whoa my fellow North Carolinian, does he have Zach's arm talent? WHAT ARM TALENT? I just haven't seen anything that even compares to the throws White consistently makes coming from the body of Zach Wilson. He throws balls 5 feet over the head of receivers  when he's not skimming them into the ground. This so-called talent that everybody talks about Wilson having-I just haven't seen it.

Just now, SoFlaJets said:

Wait, whoa whoa whoa my fellow North Carolinian, does he have Zach's arm talent? WHAT ARM TALENT? I just haven't seen anything that even compares to the throws White consistently makes coming from the body of Zach Wilson. He throws balls 5 feet over the head of receivers  when he's not skimming them into the ground. This so-called talent that everybody talks about Wilson having-I just haven't seen it.

I agree with you, but Zach can when he's not overthinking everything zip a pretty in route, and a very nice ball... It's been seen before and will most likely be seen again. Does he have the yips, yes he does. He can zing the ball with the best of them, yes he can, he just can't play the QB position at this time because his brain is getting in the way of his talent.

What county in NC ???   I just moved from Chatham, to Brunswick to get closer to the Intercoastal... Wife and I are building our retirement home and I'm hoping to get my boat next year. 

12 minutes ago, undertow said:

I remember when everyone hated Mike White because it threatned their fragile hero Zippy....those where good times feels like just yesterday.

While it's fashionable right now to sh-t on Zippy, we should hold off because:

1) Saleh could potentially name him the starter after this week (if things don't go well today)

2) He'll be the #2 QB (should MW get hurt) shortly - possibly even by next week.  I heard that the reason he's been inactive is that they want him to focus on working on his game, rather than potentially worrying about game-planning for an opponent (should he be called into action that week).  Today will be the 3rd straight game that ZW is inactive.  My gut feeling is that Saleh will think 3 weeks of that will be enough, and ZW will be back as at least the #2 by next week.

3) As Jet fans, don't you kind of feel like it's inevitable that ZW will be called into duty when the season is on the line?  It's just our fate.  

1 minute ago, 68JET11 said:

I agree with you, but Zach can when he's not overthinking everything zip a pretty in route, and a very nice ball... It's been seen before and will most likely be seen again. Does he have the yips, yes he does. He can zing the ball with the best of them, yes he can, he just can't play the QB position at this time because his brain is getting in the way of his talent.

What county in NC ???   I just moved from Chatham, to Brunswick to get closer to the Intercoastal... Wife and I are building our retirement home and I'm hoping to get my boat next year. 

Wake, we're in North Raleigh, beautiful state, and what I like is because so many people from NJ are moving here, we're starting to get some pretty good Italian products in the stores.  Oh, and on his best day Zach Wilson has never made a clutch and perfect throw like the one Mike made last week to Corey Davis on 4th down, he just hasn't done it, maybe some day he will, but White is a legitimate starting QB and Wilson will be out of the league in 2-3 years

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

While it's fashionable right now to sh-t on Zippy, we should hold off because:

1) Saleh could potentially name him the starter after this week (if things don't go well today)

2) He'll be the #2 QB (should MW get hurt) shortly - possibly even by next week.  I heard that the reason he's been inactive is that they want him to focus on working on his game, rather than potentially worrying about game-planning for an opponent (should he be called into action that week).  Today will be the 3rd straight game that ZW is inactive.  My gut feeling is that Saleh will think 3 weeks of that will be enough, and ZW will be back as at least the #2 by next week.

3) As Jet fans, don't you kind of feel like it's inevitable that ZW will be called into duty when the season is on the line?  It's just our fate.  

I don't think it became fashionable to hate on Wilson I think it just became impossible to defend his play anymore....his play this year isn't any different from last people just believed he was gonna eventually turn into Mahomes so they blindly defended him.

6 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

Wake, we're in North Raleigh, beautiful state, and what I like is because so many people from NJ are moving here, we're starting to get some pretty good Italian products in the stores.  Oh, and on his best day Zach Wilson has never made a clutch and perfect throw like the one Mike made last week to Corey Davis on 4th down, he just hasn't done it, maybe some day he will, but White is a legitimate starting QB and Wilson will be out of the league in 2-3 years

Very crowded in Wake now... and it's growing like a weed. If you just moved there and play golf, go play Chapel Ridge, it's a beautiful course. Needs better bunkers conditions, but for the most part it's a great layout. That's where I lived. I moved down from NJ as well. Some good pizza in Durham by Hope Valley CC, called Randy's... Best pizza I've had in NC.

All you have to do is look at the Zach throw to Mims in the Buff game, and any slants he's thrown to know he has it when he's not thinking.