For everyone calling for Jimmy G/Rodgers/Carr/other big name vet...

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

The Packers can't afford to trade Rodgers, it's not happening. The dead money is ridiculous,  $98 million

ahhh thanks for info! 

I'm no expert on any salary cap stuff, does the NFL work like the NBA as far as having to match salaries in trades also?

I briefly read something about a post-June 1st trade would significantly lower the dead money for GB? (not sure if that's true or not)

11 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m not saying it would ever happen, but I play golf with a guy who retired a couple years ago after 20+ years in the Baltimore FO.

Last year I rode in a cart with him at the beginning of the season, and I was complaining about JD and his lousy drafts, and how bad I thought Wilson was.

He laughed and told me not to worry about Douglas. He had learned from the best, and knew what he was doing. He also said he was the guy in the Ravens organization who was pushing hard all offseason that year to draft Lamar. He was JD’s guy.

Again, I doubt Jackson comes here but your post reminded me of that day…. Just food for thought.

That's awesome!

I wouldn't know how to act if Lamar ended up coming here, Jets with a capable QB? ?

7 hours ago, football guy said:

They’re going to bring back White and have an open competition. If I were to bet on it, I’m going Wilson, White, and Jake Haener in the 3rd/4th round.

This can't be all they do. It just can't.

If White is in their plans, it has to be as a #2. That's what he is - a good backup, but a player who is injury prone.

In your scenario, White again the best QB on the roster and wins the competition in camp. Then when he gets hurt, we're stuck with Wilsuck and another rookie nobody. Season over.

A proven vet starter is a must.

The Jets should pay Mike White. He's not going to cost a ton of money. He simply doesn't have the body of work that is going to get him super paid. The Jets could actually be in a good position where they don't have to commit a ton of money to the QB spot. Obviously the cap number for the position as a whole would be high next year because Zach is likely on the roster no matter what unless they traded him, but the Jets aren't going to have to break the bank for White.

Pay Mike White. 

Pray Zach Wilson defies the odds and gets better or trade him in the off season.

Draft a project in the 3rd round round.

That's what I would do. If they have a competition in training camp and it's in good faith Mike White will win and be the QB.

52 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

The Jets should pay Mike White. He's not going to cost a ton of money. He simply doesn't have the body of work that is going to get him super paid. The Jets could actually be in a good position where they don't have to commit a ton of money to the QB spot. Obviously the cap number for the position as a whole would be high next year because Zach is likely on the roster no matter what unless they traded him, but the Jets aren't going to have to break the bank for White.

Pay Mike White. 

Pray Zach Wilson defies the odds and gets better or trade him in the off season.

That's what I would do. If they have a competition in training camp and it's in good faith Mike White will win and be the QB.

so you want to go into 2023 where we should be real competitors with the status quo at QB? One guy who can't stay healthy and another who sucks at football? I don't see JD taking this approach. 

Nobody really answered my original question. Everyone talking about who to bring in.

YOU NEED TO LET MIKE WHITE WALK TO BRING IN SOMEONE ELSE. ARE WE GOOD WITH THAT?

Also, Zach is not getting traded. They are not going from "our intention is to get Zach on the field this year" to "we're trading zach" in a matter of a few weeks. JD has a history of holding on for dear life to his draft picks. So if Zach is here, and you want to bring in a big name, White is gone. There is no way 3 roster spots are being taken up by 3 well paid QBs. And before anyone suggests it, drafting a QB doesn't seem viable either, regardless of the round he's drafted in. I can't seem them having 2 roster spots occupied by developmental projects at QB.

So here's the scenario for next year:

White + Zach (and the 10000000000:1 chance he turns into pennington level accurate passer in the offseason)

OR

Zach + Big name free agent 

What do we want here preferably? I'm still torn at this point, mainly because I needed to see more from White and now won't get that opportunity...

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

so you want to go into 2023 where we should be real competitors with the status quo at QB? One guy who can't stay healthy and another who sucks at football? I don't see JD taking this approach. 

I haven't seen enough from Mike White to make me think he can't stay healthy. He's had one weird elbow injury where he banged it on a guys helmet and then the rib injury. The fractured ribs were do to a couple of direct shots by the Bills. It's not like he's got a nagging shoulder problem or hamstring problem or something like that. 

I wouldn't complain if they went after Jimmy G or even Derek Carr but I do think Mike White can play and to have him on your roster already, the guy who you developed, who has the respect of the team, coaches, and even fans, I think matters. But mainly I think financially he will be a much cheaper option for the Jets in a league where salary cap matters. Jets can get better at other areas on the team by keeping Mike White. It's going to be harder to do that if they have to pay Jimmy G or Carr.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Straight swap, Daboll probably believes he could rehab BYU… if anyone can it would be him.

Financially I don’t think this works. Zachs contract is fully guaranteed and jones is a FA. What a tag and trade? That’s 50 mil the jets would pay just for jones I believe in this scenario 

Mike White is proof positive that you keep throwing sh*t at the wall until something sticks.

We also need to roll The Streveler into a ball and load him into the poop shooter. 

See what sticks....

PS: We've tossed Zack Wilson into the wall 3 times now and he keeps sliding down to the ground....no 'stick' to him. At all.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Pay Mike White. 

If Mike White is the starting QB of the New York Jets in 2023, everyone is going to lose their jobs. 

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t want him. He has experience, he has excellent stats and he’s only 26. And the last time the Jets had a QB with his level of cool, they won the SB.

Couldnt agree more, he fits perfectly into what this organization wants out of their QB.  He also like will be affordable, not cheap, but affordable.  I also dont see how people think Derek Carr at $25+ million is a better option then Minshew at about $10/year.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly what I’d be looking for. 

Ideal world though, JD fleeces someone in a Wilson deal, and we go Minshew + White + midround QB.

I honestly don’t see Douglas doing it. He was close to committing to Darnold after year 3 and the only reason he didn’t was because he fell in love with Wilson’s upside during the draft (jets won’t be picking high enough this year to fall in love with “potential”).

i think he’s at least giving Wilson a 3rd training camp. 

• Ugh 1

14 hours ago, jgb said:

Because he isn’t seen as having a high ceiling by the Cult of Arm Strength.

The Jets as currently constituted would be much better served by focusing on getting a dude with a high floor.

I like that way of putting it. They can work on the offensive line and find a safety this offseason.

Get a QB with a high floor and this is a Super Bowl contender.

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I honestly don’t see Douglas doing it. He was close to committing to Darnold after year 3 and the only reason he didn’t was because he fell in love with Wilson’s upside during the draft (jets won’t be picking high enough this year to fall in love with “potential”).

Nobody is giving anything for Zach, so he will get that 3rd training camp. At this point though it is to battle for the QB3 spot. Maybe the backup spot if White walks.

The best thing that could happen to Zach is a solid vet is brought in, White leaves on his own and Zach backs up next year.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Nobody is giving anything for Zach, so he will get that 3rd training camp. At this point though it is to battle for the QB3 spot. Maybe the backup spot if White walks.

The best thing that could happen to Zach is a solid vet is brought in, White leaves on his own and Zach backs up next year.

Yes, I could see this. 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Couldnt agree more, he fits perfectly into what this organization wants out of their QB.  He also like will be affordable, not cheap, but affordable.  I also dont see how people think Derek Carr at $25+ million is a better option then Minshew at about $10/year.

Minshew is the perfect backup QB. He's not a guy you want starting long term. The lack of the deep ball really hampers your play calling over the long haul. Dumpoffs to running backs, dinking and dunking your way down the field has a hard ceiling.

1 hour ago, Sammybighead said:

Nobody really answered my original question. Everyone talking about who to bring in.

YOU NEED TO LET MIKE WHITE WALK TO BRING IN SOMEONE ELSE. ARE WE GOOD WITH THAT?

Also, Zach is not getting traded. They are not going from "our intention is to get Zach on the field this year" to "we're trading zach" in a matter of a few weeks. JD has a history of holding on for dear life to his draft picks. So if Zach is here, and you want to bring in a big name, White is gone. There is no way 3 roster spots are being taken up by 3 well paid QBs. And before anyone suggests it, drafting a QB doesn't seem viable either, regardless of the round he's drafted in. I can't seem them having 2 roster spots occupied by developmental projects at QB.

So here's the scenario for next year:

White + Zach (and the 10000000000:1 chance he turns into pennington level accurate passer in the offseason)

OR

Zach + Big name free agent 

What do we want here preferably? I'm still torn at this point, mainly because I needed to see more from White and now won't get that opportunity...

IHMO White is a dinker/dunker who can't get it done at crunch time.  Just say no to MW as starter dreams please.  

Zack improved a bit after his reset humiliation get you mind right benching.  Let's see how it plays out.   If it's a fail I'd go a vet with solid numbers if the price is right.  Let Zack sit someone and learn.    

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Exactly my fear.

• Upvote 1