Would you be willing to trade Sauce for Lamar?

Facts

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That’s an interesting take.  I think you could make a very strong argument that the Niners with Josh Johnson and Gardner makes them every bit as a  good a team for this playoff run than Brock Purdy and whoever their 2nd CB is.

But that’s just the next month.  The next 4 years with Gardner for a QB who is almost certainly destined to be a career backup, of course they would take that trade.  

There’s a lot of chatter that he’s going to win OROY. They are the current favorite to win the NFC. Doesn’t seem like a fluke. The impact he has far outweighs any CB in football. 

20 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

There’s a lot of chatter that he’s going to win OROY. They are the current favorite to win the NFC. Doesn’t seem like a fluke. The impact he has far outweighs any CB in football. 

Yeah and people thought Nick Mullens was legit too.

If that’s what you think, that’s what you think.  I don’t have the energy to do this stuff anymore.  I don’t know why I responded in the first place.  I think your premise is preposterous, which you shouldn’t care if I think that, and I should have went along my merry way.

https://www.nfl.com/news/ravens-qb-lamar-jackson-knee-faces-an-uphill-battle-to-play-vs-bengals

Optimism that Lamar Jackson will return for the postseason is dwindling.

NFL Network Insiders Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Wednesday morning that Jackson, dealing with a PCL injury, faces an uphill battle to play in Sunday night's Super Wild Card Weekend matchup against the Cincinnati Bengals, per sources informed of the situation.

"Not looking good for Lamar Jackson," Rapoport said on NFL Network's Good Morning Football. "Which is a bit of a surprise if you look back. Dec. 4 was the last time he played, battling a PCL sprain. There were so many people involved who thought if Lamar is not going to play in the regular season, he will surely be ready in the playoffs. However, from my understanding this is something sources have said over the course of the past 24 hours is that Lamar Jackson faces an uphill battle to be able to get out on the field in the playoffs against the Cincinnati Bengals.

3 minutes ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

No I would never trade our best #1 draft pick and shut down corner in the last 15 years since we drafted our other shut down corner in the 1st round back in 2007 who lived all alone on an island that opposing teams were barred entry to.

If the trade were 1 for 1, the Ravens would hang up immediately, laughing.

Lamar has played 12 games in two years. 

Why would anyone think a running QB who is injury prone in his mid 20s will suddenly stop getting injured as he gets older? And oh by the way, we have to pay him $40m per year.

I would trade for him but wouldn’t give up nearly the amount of draft capital or players that would be required. Let some other team over pay. 

Just now, Gastineau Lives said:

They would. But why would we give up much more than an All Pro CB on a rookie deal for the next 4 years?

Remove Lamar’s name and look at his games missed AND the amount of money he will need to be paid. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

They would. But why would we give up much more than an All Pro CB on a rookie deal for the next 4 years?

Remove Lamar’s name and look at his games missed AND the amount of money he will need to be paid. 

Even if we were getting him for free, the size of the contract and the recent injury history would make me very nervous. He's missed the most important games of the season in each of the last two years. 

10 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Yeah and people thought Nick Mullens was legit too.

If that’s what you think, that’s what you think.  I don’t have the energy to do this stuff anymore.  I don’t know why I responded in the first place.  I think your premise is preposterous, which you shouldn’t care if I think that, and I should have went along my merry way.

In all seriousness, what is preposterous? If you ignore where he was drafted and just look at the results, and the positional value, why not? To pass up a QB who’s demonstrated he can play for a CB seems extreme. I also don’t think Gardener has Deion or Charles Woodson like upside. 

19 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Which is exactly why picks wouldn't be enough to bring in an upper-tier QB.  Especially since we're picking 13th this year rather than top 5.

I don't know... because if you're picking top 5 you're probably trying to draft your own QB.

6-15 range seems to be the best to try to pull a trade like that. Either way that conversation starts with at least 2-3 first rounders.

2 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

I don't know... because if you're picking top 5 you're probably trying to draft your own QB.

6-15 range seems to be the best to try to pull a trade like that. Either way that conversation starts with at least 2-3 first rounders.

13th overall pick just isn't that valuable (and a future 1st is treated like a 2023 second rounder by many GMs) so three 1sts sounds about right.  But why give away that many first rounders when we can just build a package around Quinnen?

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

13th overall pick just isn't that valuable (and a future 1st is treated like a 2023 second rounder by many GMs) so three 1sts sounds about right.  But why give away that many first rounders when we can just build a package around Quinnen?

Its a fair conversation, as much as Quinnen played well this season im not 100% sold on him.

How much would he want, like 20m per year? Thats way to much for a DT not named Aaron Donald IMO...

If you have a guy like Lamar, would be easier to get a good EDGE free agent to come, maybe JJ can develop into a double digit sack guy...

Would like to see what a package around Quinnen would look like before having a more definitive opinion.

So many questions...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Its a fair conversation, as much as Quinnen played well this season im not 100% sold on him.

How much would he want, like 20m per year? Thats way to much for a DT not named Aaron Donald IMO...

If you have a guy like Lamar, would be easier to get a good EDGE free agent to come, maybe JJ can develop into a double digit sack guy...

Would like to see what a package around Quinnen would look like before having a more definitive opinion.

So many questions...

Since Leonard Williams makes $21M per, I imagine QW would want at least that much.

That's a lot to devote to a DT who was pretty meh for his first 3 years in the league and, under the current scheme, rarely plays more than 70 % of the snaps in a game.

The cap isn't real and the amount isn't what makes me less willing.  It's more of the commitment to building the defense around him that comes with the contract, essentially.  Plus the opportunity cost of what we could get back for QW in a trade.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since Leonard Williams makes $21M per, I imagine QW would want at least that much.

That's a lot to devote to a DT who was pretty meh for his first 3 years in the league and, under the current scheme, rarely plays more than 70 % of the snaps in a game.

The cap isn't real and the amount isn't what makes me less willing.  It's more of the commitment to building the defense around him that comes with the contract, essentially.  Plus the opportunity cost of what we could get back for QW in a trade.

QW is arguably the best defensive player in the nfl.  Jets fans trying to say otherwise- Oh my God I’m really concerned Woody agrees 

7 hours ago, Matt39 said:

In all seriousness, what is preposterous? If you ignore where he was drafted and just look at the results, and the positional value, why not? To pass up a QB who’s demonstrated he can play for a CB seems extreme. I also don’t think Gardener has Deion or Charles Woodson like upside. 

Sauce is already the NFL’s best cover corner.  Lamar Jackson will be frequently going on IR next several years

15 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I think you are looking at it incorrectly. 

which is better - Lamar Jackson at QB + Bryce Hall at CB OR slightly above average vet at QB + Sauce Gardner at CB?  

Respectfully, it's a lazy comparison, or grouping. Athletically, Fields is special and this past year he wound up having to leverage that (uncharacteristically often for Justin) to compensate for a putrid offense. 

I wanted Justin Fields for all the reasons he put on display vs Clemson in the Jan '21 playoff game. Lamar Jackson hasn't ever looked that good in the pocket throwing the ball in the NFL, or at UL... the athleticism was the icing on the cake. 

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Respectfully, it's a lazy comparison, or grouping. Athletically, Fields is special and this past year he wound up having to leverage that (uncharacteristically often for Justin) to compensate for a putrid offense. 

I wanted Justin Fields for all the reasons he put on display vs Clemson in the Jan '21 playoff game. Lamar Jackson hasn't ever looked that good in the pocket throwing the ball in the NFL, or at UL... the athleticism was the icing on the cake. 

Eh, if you have to reference a college game to prove that Justin Fields can succeed as a pocket passer in the NFL, it just confirms that he hasn't yet proven that he can succeed as a pocket passer in the NFL. What he has shown in the NFL is that he is an elite running QB. It remains to be seen how he develops as a passer in year 3 and beyond with (hopefully) a better team around him. 

Sauce is a rare breed and I was outspoken about how good he was going to be in the NFL… but for an MVP QB, you have to consider it. Fortunately, Sauce is probably worth two 1s at this point. So in theory, we’d just have to deal 13, Sauce, and maybe a mid-round pick

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Eh, if you have to reference a college game to prove that Justin Fields can succeed as a pocket passer in the NFL, it just confirms that he hasn't yet proven that he can succeed as a pocket passer in the NFL. What he has shown in the NFL is that he is an elite running QB. It remains to be seen how he develops as a passer in year 3 and beyond with (hopefully) a better team around him. 

Yes, that narrative isn't something i can refute... but that's independent of what you said. Fields can still be a developmental question mark and also a better passing talent than Lamar Jackson. And i think Lamar has come a ways in his touch and timing since coming into the NFL for what it's worth

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

Yes, that narrative isn't something i can refute... but that's independent of what you said. Fields can still be a developmental question mark and also a better passing talent than Lamar Jackson. And i think Lamar has come a ways in his touch and timing since coming into the NFL for what it's worth

That’s fair. 

15 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

No I would never trade our best #1 draft pick and shut down corner in the last 15 years since we drafted our other shut down corner in the 1st round back in 2007 who lived all alone on an island that opposing teams were barred entry to.

15 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Would the Ravens reconsider if JD referred to Sauce as "A1 Sauce Sweet Feet Gardner"?

• Haha 1

Lamar Jackson was an amazing QB 2-3 years ago. Now he gets injured every season and the downside of his playstyle is starting to show. I personally am not a running QB fan and I view Sauce as way too rare of a commodity. However, I do see why some people would like having him on the team, and he certainly has improved greatly as a passer in recent years. I just think there are other options that will be cheaper in both trading (Derek Carr) and cap spending (Minshew, although he didn't really do great as the Eagles starter). 

22 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

If you want to make the argument that Lamar played poorly in the playoffs and it lead to losses, feel free. Lazily siting wins and losses as a QB stat is stupid and annoying.

Thank you for setting me straight on the standards of Jet Nation toward that which is both stupid AND annoying.  

I will pass them on to fellow messengers who post BOTH stupid/annoying.