Geno

Bronx

13 minutes ago, choon328 said:

He's not wrong. Comeback player of the year should be someone who came back from injury not someone coming back from sucking. They basically gave him the most improved award twice. 

I don't get the Cimini hate either. How is Geno comeback player of the year if all he did was go from backup to starter? It was my understanding that award was for a player coming back from an injury. Geno definitely deserves Most Improved Player of the Year.

He went from NFL starter to backup to being what everyone thought was one more offseason away from being out of the league.

We get what Cimini's saying - he wasn't a player who enjoyed success & who then fell from grace or got badly injured & then came back like Peterson, Warner, even Pennington. 

But that's often what the award is used for, if the "most improved" player is a veteran or former starter. Just like once upon a time sportswriters wouldn't give out an MLB MVP award if the obviously-best player wasn't on a championship team (never mind the one-time silly rule about a player not being eligible if he'd previously won it).

Wish it happened when he was here, but it didn't. Good for him, and at least it didn't happen for him with a division (or even a conference) rival. 

• Upvote 4

18 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

combackplayeroftheyear.thumb.jpg.e410d3289ba554869ed00ba8f19227b3.jpg

At a quick glance Geno would be the first non-injury/illness comeback player of the year since Michael Vick. Tommy Maddox and Doug Flutie would fit in the non-injury/illness perseverance category as well. 

It's a great and meaningful award... wonder why they stopped it for 30 years?

Geno was an interception machine. It took a while to get him to learn how to play the game.  I think the jets made a mistake by anointing fitzy as the starter in 2016 without having a contract in place. Geno had a really good camp and basically won over the players. Fitzy comes back after his phony hold out and people don’t want to play with him.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, extmenace said:

Geno was left as dead, destined to be a back up with every year possibly being his last. Good for him. Glad we got to see a qb that this team couldn’t develop turn into something. 

He played well this year but that doesn’t make him a good person worthy of anyone being happy for him

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, extmenace said:

Geno was left as dead, destined to be a back up with every year possibly being his last. Good for him. Glad we got to see a qb that this team couldn’t develop turn into something. 

last was QB1 for Jets in 2014 then has a good year EIGHT years later. We werent only team not getting anything.

Happy for him I guess  but I call this an anomaly, whether scheme, gamescripts or Football Gods.