2020 draft class 5th year option. A lesson in what could’ve been.

32EBoozer

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

You have to exercise the 5th year option by May of this year.

I understand. That’s not a consideration. I’m saying treat it like the Giants did with Jones. Let him play this year on a show me deal and hope we have to make a similar decision because he has a good year. 

• Upvote 2

There is no way in hell you pick up Bectons 5th year option. At this point, for all intents and purposes, this man shouldn't even be considered part of the team going forward. 

If he shows up to camp in shape, great. If he makes it through camp, great. If he somehow makes it through camp and performs at a level where he earns a starting role, GREAT - Thank God for the miracle. But this team should proceed this offseason like he is not even on the team. If the 5th year option needs to be decided on this offseason before camp, there is no f*cking way you pick it up. The man hasn't produced a thing since the first couple games of his rookie year and hasn't even s seen the field in two years.

He's done. You don't count on miracles and Becton being a member of this team, at this point, is nothing short of just that.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Only other option they have is to let him play out his rookie deal.  $5.9M cap hit, all guaranteed.  We gain nothing by cutting him.  Don't think he is tradeable after two years not playing.  Keep him around, but count on him for nothing.  IF he is healthy, motivated and plays well, that is a bonus, but we can't go into the season with him pencilled in as a starter without a solid plan B.  or C.

If he is healthy and plays well this season, then the decisions come next offseason.  

Here's a question:

Assume the Jets elect to NOT exercise 5th yr option this May.  Then, Becton has a solid to great year 4. 
Do the Jets have the power to Franchise Tag him after year 4, if they had previously elected not to exercise 5th yr option?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Here's a question:

Assume the Jets elect to NOT exercise 5th yr option this May.  Then, Becton has a solid to great year 4. 
Do the Jets have the power to Franchise Tag him after year 4, if they had previously elected not to exercise 5th yr option?

I am not sure, but I am not aware of any restrictions on using the tag in this situation.  I think it is an option for the Giants with Daniel Jones this offseason, so it should be an option for Becton next year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

There is no way in hell you pick up Bectons 5th year option. At this point, for all intents and purposes, this man shouldn't even be considered part of the team going forward. 

If he shows up to camp in shape, great. If he makes it through camp, great. If he somehow makes it through camp and performs at a level where he earns a starting role, GREAT - Thank God for the miracle. But this team should proceed this offseason like he is not even on the team. If the 5th year option needs to be decided on this offseason before camp, there is no f*cking way you pick it up. The man hasn't produced a thing since the first couple games of his rookie year and hasn't even s seen the field in two years.

He's done. You don't count on miracles and Becton being a member of this team, at this point, is nothing short of just that.

Becton you hope is a lesson for the front office that personality type matters. Especially for Oline. Terrible pick and a terrible job by Joe Douglas. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

the incredibles GIF

Becton probably catching a verbal lashing from his Baby Mama to get off the PS5, hit the gym & get that 2nd contract

Whatever it takes.  I would love to what a healthy, in shape and motivated Becton can do.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Here's a question:

Yes. Giants may have to do that with Jones.

I still think there is some hope for Mekhi. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No decisions being made now.

We'll see what these guys look like this year.  Becton.  Mims.

If they're good, we extend, if not, we don't.

But not making a call on it today.

Mims.... no decision needed until end of next season.

Becton.... May 1: Deadline for Clubs to exercise Fifth-Year Option for players selected in the first round of the 2020 Draft.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Mims.... no decision needed until end of next season.

Becton.... May 1: Deadline for Clubs to exercise Fifth-Year Option for players selected in the first round of the 2020 Draft.

Thanks for the clarification.

If he's healthy, I expect JD to extend him the 5th year.

Unless he (JD) thinks he is unrecoverable as a prospect, I expect Becton to be a Jet through the end of his 5th year.

May is a long way away, plenty of time for health and condition updates, as well as contingency planning as needed.

• Upvote 1