Derek Carr released

Rhg1084

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I get that part for game checks: you earn your game check in that game, where you played that game. In his case, though, his game checks are extremely low (about $70K/week). 

My understanding was that signing bonuses aren't game checks. Moreover, they're often designed as an up-front payment for the next two or more seasons, with the salaries not just in y1 but also y2 (and sometimes, to a degree more, in y3) the base salary figure is artificially suppressed because that compensation came up front.

Testaverde had a lawsuit over it between Ohio and California years ago, when he got his contract for Cleveland in the mid-90s. He paid his signing bonus taxes in Ohio, and only applied game checks for his California road games (base salary). California wanted a bigger chunk - a percentage of his signing bonus, too - and sued him over it, but the case was thrown out on appeal because the court said signing bonus was only due in his home team's state (don't know if that differs if his official residence state is elsewhere, though).

Only game checks - considered "duty days" - apply for road games & that's why they're subject to the "jock tax" for those games in those states. The rationale is Rodgers doesn't have to play any games - let alone road games - to get (and keep) his signing bonus. He needs to practice while healthy enough to do so, but on Sundays if he's injured he doesn't return 1/17 of his signing bonus. If he busts an ACL in training camp before the first game he doesn't actually play in any road (nor home) games, but doesn't have to return his signing bonus. That's why the signing bonus is not taxed the same as game checks: it's not conditional on actually playing in the games. 

Anyway, that was my understanding, correctly figured or otherwise.

That's a good point and I did not remember the Vinnie story.  You may be right on that count.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, prime21 said:

His release timed with Rodgers whacko darkness retreat leaves JD in a bit of a predicament.

1*GP2UZW2DeB76m50ISmheyA.gif

Its interesting. In a way, its perfect timing. Rodgers and the Jets both know they can't do anything while Rodgers is no his 'darkness retreat' as he is incommunicado. JD has to do his due diligence. Rodgers should know that and not take it personal. So this is the perfect time to have Carr visit, see what the cost is, see what his interest is, have a contract ready, and yes, see if maybe, just maybe you can get him to sign on the dotted line. 

If there was some kind of understanding that the Jets would love Rodgers if he decided to come back and play for another season and a potential trade was in place but Carr came in and said he would love to be a Jet while Rodgers was on his 'darkness retreat' pondering his future. I don't think you can blame JD for signing Carr. None of this is personal. The Jets have been spurned before in FA/Offseason and JD cannot afford to whiff on an impact QB. 

Get 'er done JD. 

I will say though that Carr is in no rush. I'm sure he will visit a bunch of teams to figure out the best place for him and drive his price up as much as he can. And frankly, the swirling cold winds of Metlife are probably not the place where he wants to play his home games. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

You realize that 2-year fill in puts us at Zach’s fifth year? I doubt this is the actual strategy. Coaches have to give Zach hope and think maybe he can be salvaged, but zero percent chance this is a preordained plan. if you get a franchise QB in this moment, you take him and run.

JD/Woody are not giving up on him. Makes no sense, right now, to sign anyone to a long term deal since they still have eyes for Zach. I figure they sign a Tannehill, Jimmy G or Rodgers and make a run to get in the playoffs over next 2 years while Zach’s on the bench surfing on milf.com. I’m sure they’re hoping the light turns on over that span. 

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

JD/Woody are not giving up on him. Makes no sense, right now, to sign anyone to a long term deal since they still have eyes for Zach. I figure they sign a Tannehill, Jimmy G or Rodgers and make a run to get in the playoffs over next 2 years while Zach’s on the bench surfing on milf.com. I’m sure they’re hoping the light turns on over that span. 

So are they signing a vet for one season or picking up Wilson’s 5th year option?

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

It would be patently stupid to pass on the best QB options possible, because you think Zach will be ready in 2-3 years… after 2 years of horrible play.

But, okay. Windy is stupid, I agree with that. I just think Zach is here, but not “the plan”. More of a long-sh*t investment now. Teams gotta move forward assuming he’s a lost cause… effectively planning for both situations where he gets it or never does, but you can’t bank on it. Would be too jetsy.

• Post of the Week 1

18 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

@The Crusher 

I’m the guy who will order a ton of crap at the drive thru and then be like “oh yeah, and a Diet Coke…”

Two reasons. I think regular soda is too sweet, and it’s a waste of calories. (I know it’s stupid, but it is what it is)

I drink 5 things. Water, black coffee, beer and whiskey. I'll have an occasional glass of milk. Can't do any of the sugary soft drinks or Gatorade or any crap like that any more. Since I was a kid really. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

It would be patently stupid to pass on the best QB options possible, because you think Zach will be ready in 2-3 years… after 2 years of horrible play.

But, okay. Windy is stupid, I agree with that. I just think Zach is here, but not “the plan”. More of a long-sh*t investment now. Teams gotta move forward assuming he’s a lost cause… effectively planning for both situations where he gets it or never does, but you can’t bank on it. Would be too jetsy.

Just seems they are not willing to look like total morons for drafting the next great QB bust like Couch, Russell, Leaf with that high pick.  Seems they will give him plenty of rope and hope he becomes the prospect they thought they were getting before they cut him loose.  He’s entering his 3rd year. Still raw as a cucumber. They sign a vet for 2 years and see how he progresses. After those 2 years,  he’d be going into his 5th year. A lot of things can happen between now and then. He might improve, he might continue to suck. Bottom line, they not ready to cut him loose just yet. One thing for sure, they are signing a vet for at least the next 2 years. 

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Zach will never be ready. 

Jets need either Rodgers or Carr.  Jimmy G is unacceptable.  Tannehill is unacceptable 

4 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

Just seems they are not willing to look like total morons for drafting the next great QB bust like Couch, Russell, Leaf with that high pick.  Seems they will give him plenty of rope and hope he becomes the prospect they thought they were getting before they cut him loose.  He’s entering his 3rd year. Still raw as a cucumber. They sign a vet for 2 years and see how he progresses. After those 2 years,  he’d be going into his 5th year. A lot of things can happen between now and then. He might improve, he might continue to suck. Bottom line, they not ready to cut him loose just yet. One thing for sure, they are signing a vet for at least the next 2 years. 

The team is ready to win now aside from the QB position because they screwed the pooch w/Wilson. If they go out and get the best QB they can and compete for a championship no one is going to give a flying F about how they screwed the pooch w/Wilson. If they limit the options at QB because they hope Wilson somehow works out some day it would be compounding the original error. Hopefully they aren't foolish enough to do that.

41 minutes ago, freestater said:

I drink 5 things. Water, black coffee, beer and whiskey. I'll have an occasional glass of milk. Can't do any of the sugary soft drinks or Gatorade or any crap like that any more. Since I was a kid really. 

I’m addicted to Crystal Light  Sweet tea ( not as sweet as the name implies). I always have a half gallon in my fridge. It’s garbage, and loaded with god knows how many chemicals but I love it.

Other than that, it’s water, an occasional Scotch or Vodka and Aand two 16oz half caf coffees in the morning When I golfing down here and the temps get really high I’ll go with a Powerade Zero, which is basically colored water with added electrolytes.

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The team is ready to win now aside from the QB position because they screwed the pooch w/Wilson. If they go out and get the best QB they can and compete for a championship no one is going to give a flying F about how they screwed the pooch w/Wilson. If they limit the options at QB because they hope Wilson somehow works out some day it would be compounding the original error. Hopefully they aren't foolish enough to do that.

You do realize you’re talking about the Jets.

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I’m addicted to Crystal Light  Sweet tea ( not as sweet as the name implies). I always have a half gallon in my fridge. It’s garbage, and loaded with god knows how many chemicals but I love it.

Other than that, it’s water, an occasional Scotch or Vodka and Aand two 16oz half caf coffees in the morning When I golfing down here and the temps get really high I’ll go with a Powerade Zero, which is basically colored water with added electrolytes.

I wish my parents told me growing up that Gatorade wasn't healthy....it was basically Idiocracy in that house. lol

• Haha 1