Derek Carr released

Rhg1084

28 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well I'm nobody's accountant, but my understanding is he pays taxes in the state where he gets paid. In his case his contact calls for virtually all his pay over the next 2 seasons (about $110MM) to come in the form of option bonuses. That'd be paid in NJ or in NV, no? (And 99% of it at the marginal rate).

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I was wrong before, back in 1981, so this wouldn't be unprecedented.

Nope.  All professional sports athletes now pay taxes in each state where games are played.  So NYJ players pay 1/17th of their salary to each state where they play outside of NJ.  1/17th to FL, possibly 2 or 3 if they play at JAX or TB.  1/17th to MA.  1/17th to NYS for BUF.  Etc.

LV players get to pay no state income tax for the half of their games they play in NEV, but they have to pay for the weeks they play in CA (SD plus if they play at SF or LAR).  if you assume that the away weeks roughly balance out over time (which isn't exactly true, but let's assume it for now), then the impact of your home state is roughly half of the actual tax.  So Jets/Giants players are hit with just over a 5% tax on their earnings as compared to players from no-tax states.

35 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Nope.  All professional sports athletes now pay taxes in each state where games are played.  So NYJ players pay 1/17th of their salary to each state where they play outside of NJ.  1/17th to FL, possibly 2 or 3 if they play at JAX or TB.  1/17th to MA.  1/17th to NYS for BUF.  Etc.

LV players get to pay no state income tax for the half of their games they play in NEV, but they have to pay for the weeks they play in CA (SD plus if they play at SF or LAR).  if you assume that the away weeks roughly balance out over time (which isn't exactly true, but let's assume it for now), then the impact of your home state is roughly half of the actual tax.  So Jets/Giants players are hit with just over a 5% tax on their earnings as compared to players from no-tax states.

I don’t think this is right.   They live in NJ.  They pay income taxes to NJ, with a credit to other states, but because NJ has the second highest tax rate in the US, the players basically pay the NJ rate.  

Dolphin players are tax free for 8 games, then pay where they play. 

2 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Yeah, that's it.  I want the Jets to continue to lose games.  The plan I would hope for the Jets is to win a SB, not just win games and make early exits if they make the playoffs.  I don't think Carr is the answer.  If he was, (and again I'm repeating myself) why did the Raiders release him...especially since his blow buddy is at WR.

I love these guys who equate a differing opinion with you “not wanting to win”. If I were you I wouldn’t even have bothered replying.

(and for what it’s worth I agree with @ZachWilsonRightArm and disagree with you, I just hate someone saying “if you don’t agree with me, you don’t want to win”)

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think this is right.   They live in NJ.  They pay income taxes to NJ, with a credit to other states, but because NJ has the second highest tax rate in the US, the players basically pay the NJ rate.  

Nope.  You pay based on the state the stadium is in for each game.   You don't pay your home state for away games.

54 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

The whole income tax argument is overblown.

I've lived in a non income tax state.  They still got my money.  Property tax is outrageous and the sales tax is through the roof.  There's no avoiding Sam, he always gets his pound of flesh one way or the other. 

You don't need to pay property tax in the same state you are in employed in. Easy to do if you're this level of rich. By the way, NY and NJ have both high income tax and among the highest property taxes in the nation too.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I've lived in a non income tax state.  They still got my money.  Property tax is outrageous and the sales tax is through the roof.  There's no avoiding Sam, he always gets his pound of flesh one way or the other. 

NJ has the highest property tax in the nation. and there like 6th or so highest in sales tax. so yes no income tax makes a hugh difference. 

35 minutes ago, varjet said:

If only you had some sort of device on you where you could have looked this information up.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Where? Texas? Not the case in FL.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t get the disdain for Carr by so many.

Obviously I prefer Rodgers but there’s no question that Derek Carr is the best alternative.

He’s not going to go toe to toe with Mahomes but he’s an above average starter still in his prime who has proven that he can consistently throw for 4,000 yards, 25 TD’s and 10 INT’s a year with a 65% completion percentage.

Why so many Jets fans balk at what would objectively be at the very least the 2nd best QB in this teams history is mind boggling.

The funny thing is, he’s probably had some of his finest moments when going against Mahomes. He’s probably beaten him more than anyone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

I mean take a look at our franchise history for passing and look at Carrs numbers. He’d immediately be the best QB we’ve ever had (statistically)

FB893E9E-3EA7-41EE-BA1B-219448C817D0.jpeg

71DF30E8-BEC3-44DF-9B3C-BAA6596C3E29.jpeg

Geez.  Carr would be 1st, 2nd, 3rd AND 4th on that Jets list. 

And some people are like, "We can do better!" lmao

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hawk said:

No, has to be done post June 1.

That said, I wouldn't count on a quick sign by Carr.  He will play teams against each other.  Imo

There are ways around it by AR renegotiating some of his contract if he is agreeable to it. 

There is also the possibility GB decides the draft pick in 2023 is move valuable than the cap hit and bites the bullet in order to get the pick in this draft. Between what the jets have at 13 this year and what they may have next year, plus a pick a year out valuing as 1 rd back, it’s not a small difference. 

4 minutes ago, joebabyny said:

There are ways around it by AR renegotiating some of his contract if he is agreeable to it. 

There is also the possibility GB decides the draft pick in 2023 is move valuable than the cap hit and bites the bullet in order to get the pick in this draft. Between what the jets have at 13 this year and what they may have next year, plus a pick a year out valuing as 1 rd back, it’s not a small difference. 

My response was to a question of if a trade can be designated as post June 1, like a release designation, or if the trade would have to be done after June 1.

9 minutes ago, hawk said:

My response was to a question of if a trade can be designated as post June 1, like a release designation, or if the trade would have to be done after June 1.

Yup. The original question you were answering, the poster was wondering if the trade could be done pre 6/1 which is the date where GB has a more cap-friendly situation. My answer I guess was more along the lines of the possibility of trading before that date itself and not a “designated trade” of some type. Maybe would have been better to directly quote the poster with the original question. 

• Upvote 1

Derek Carr is average at best.

Plus the last thing we need is another QB with piss poor leadership skills, who has shown a lack of self awareness and accountability.

I will probably talk myself into it if we sign him, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled like many of you would

1 hour ago, Green Ghost said:

You had quite an eclectic list earlier today when you factored in the cost to acquire. 
I’m one of the few here who would love to get Lamar, so I was happy to see a fine, upstanding young scholar like yourself on the same page!

My oldest son is people of your people. Dude is hysterical, Lamar or bust. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I could be equally excited for Sundays of Rodgers or Jackson. Well of course hot wings too. 

Agree… with all 3 of those although to be honest, I’m more of a sliced dried Italian sweet sausage and chunk of sharp provolone with a nice crusty bread and bruschetta guy.
I’ve never been one to turn down hot wings though.

• Upvote 1