Derek Carr released

Rhg1084

22 minutes ago, King P said:

Derek Carr is average at best.

Plus the last thing we need is another QB with piss poor leadership skills, who has shown a lack of self awareness and accountability.

I will probably talk myself into it if we sign him, but I wouldn't exactly be thrilled like many of you would

Why do you say Carr has piss poor leadership skills? I've never heard that and when I Google Derek Carr leadership all I get is a bunch of articles praising his leadership skills.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Agree… with all 3 of those although to be honest, I’m more of a sliced dried Italian sweet sausage and chunk of sharp provolone with a nice crusty bread and bruschetta guy.
I’ve never been one to turn down hot wings though.

Then you need to go to my moms for football!!  

B5E4B833-D07A-49F3-A55F-B45959D1C188.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Pitted olives? What is this, amateur hour?

Rule #1 never tell an Italian mom how to make her antipasto.

Rule #2 eat way more than you want, so she’ll make it again for you, and keep going until she puts fruit and nuts on the table.

The last thing you want is for her to say is, I made the antipasto and now nobody is eating the pasta and veal cutlets and eggplant parmigiana and…

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Rule #1 never tell an Italian mom how to make her antipasto.

Rule #2 eat way more than you want, so she’ll make it again for you

The last thing you want is for her to say, I made the antipasto and now nobody is eating the pasta and veal cutlets and eggplant parmigiana and…

Actually rule #1 is don’t pit olives. That’s how the South lost the Civil War. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Cannolis, Sfogliatella and Pasticiotto were already on counter to the left, 

We’re getting off on a tangent here, so I’ll tell you I’m up on Long Island now because my daughter gave me my first two grandchildren Friday. A boy and a girl, so there’s been a lot of celebrating.

I’m probably going to put on at least 5 pounds before I get back down to Carolina, since I’m averaging at least one cannoli or sfogliatella a night since I got here.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

21 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We’re getting off on a tangent here, so I’ll tell you I’m up on Long Island now because my daughter gave me my first two grandchildren Friday. A boy and a girl, so there’s been a lot of celebrating.

I’m probably going to put on at least 5 pounds before I get back down to Carolina, since I’m averaging at least one cannoli or sfogliatella a night since I got here.

Congratulations. My daughter gave me my first grandson 7/2/21. Nothing like it. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

26 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Congratulations, gramps!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

I don’t get the disdain for Carr by so many.

Obviously I prefer Rodgers but there’s no question that Derek Carr is the best alternative.

He’s not going to go toe to toe with Mahomes but he’s an above average starter still in his prime who has proven that he can consistently throw for 4,000 yards, 25 TD’s and 10 INT’s a year with a 65% completion percentage.

Why so many Jets fans balk at what would objectively be at the very least the 2nd best QB in this teams history is mind boggling.

would you take Kirk Cousins? If he were available for the same price as Carr?

5 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Yeah, that's it.  I want the Jets to continue to lose games.  The plan I would hope for the Jets is to win a SB, not just win games and make early exits if they make the playoffs.  I don't think Carr is the answer.  If he was, (and again I'm repeating myself) why did the Raiders release him...especially since his blow buddy is at WR.

I never said you wanted them to lose games, but if the Jets dont act at the QB spot that will happen

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

would you take Kirk Cousins? If he were available for the same price as Carr?

Great question,  should be yes because it’s very likely both will get you as far as a loss in a playoff game. Much better than we have now and likely better than we may ever have, but not good enough. A-Rod or bust!! 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

I love these guys who equate a differing opinion with you “not wanting to win”. If I were you I wouldn’t even have bothered replying.

(and for what it’s worth I agree with @ZachWilsonRightArm and disagree with you, I just hate someone saying “if you don’t agree with me, you don’t want to win”)

I never said he didnt want to win, that’s silly were all Jets fans, we all want the team to win. My thing is, bro said all Carr would do would win more games and not make a deep playoff push. As if thats a bad thing. Just get into the playoffs.. all i want is a chance. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Why do you say Carr has piss poor leadership skills? I've never heard that and when I Google Derek Carr leadership all I get is a bunch of articles praising his leadership skills.

I've seen articles where players on the Raiders said the team lacked accountability. The QB is supposed to be the one to set the tone for that, it falls on him. Carr in the past has also deflected blame from himself. We just saw that with Zach, huge red flag.

I mean he had to be sent away after his benching so he wouldn't be a distraction. All of these are huge red flags, and a sign of poor leadership. We expect better from a QB.

9 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Carr is 7 years younger than AR and would cost nothing but a salary. Get to keep all our draft assets. More I think about it I think this should be the move. Obviously nobody would be upset if we land Rodgers either but I’d sign Carr tomorrow if I was Douglas

Not feasible. They looking for a two year fill in and then have Zach take over. Whether it be Jimmy G, Tannehill or Rodgers, it will be a short engagement. 

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

Nope.  All professional sports athletes now pay taxes in each state where games are played.  So NYJ players pay 1/17th of their salary to each state where they play outside of NJ.  1/17th to FL, possibly 2 or 3 if they play at JAX or TB.  1/17th to MA.  1/17th to NYS for BUF.  Etc.

LV players get to pay no state income tax for the half of their games they play in NEV, but they have to pay for the weeks they play in CA (SD plus if they play at SF or LAR).  if you assume that the away weeks roughly balance out over time (which isn't exactly true, but let's assume it for now), then the impact of your home state is roughly half of the actual tax.  So Jets/Giants players are hit with just over a 5% tax on their earnings as compared to players from no-tax states.

I get that part for game checks: you earn your game check in that game, where you played that game. In his case, though, his game checks are extremely low (about $70K/week). 

My understanding was that signing bonuses aren't game checks. Moreover, they're often designed as an up-front payment for the next two or more seasons, with the salaries not just in y1 but also y2 (and sometimes, to a degree more, in y3) the base salary figure is artificially suppressed because that compensation came up front.

Testaverde had a lawsuit over it between Ohio and California years ago, when he got his contract for Cleveland in the mid-90s. He paid his signing bonus taxes in Ohio, and only applied game checks for his California road games (base salary). California wanted a bigger chunk - a percentage of his signing bonus, too - and sued him over it, but the case was thrown out on appeal because the court said signing bonus was only due in his home team's state (don't know if that differs if his official residence state is elsewhere, though).

Only game checks - considered "duty days" - apply for road games & that's why they're subject to the "jock tax" for those games in those states. The rationale is Rodgers doesn't have to play any games - let alone road games - to get (and keep) his signing bonus. He needs to practice while healthy enough to do so, but on Sundays if he's injured he doesn't return 1/17 of his signing bonus. If he busts an ACL in training camp before the first game he doesn't actually play in any road (nor home) games, but doesn't have to return his signing bonus. That's why the signing bonus is not taxed the same as game checks: it's not conditional on actually playing in the games. 

Anyway, that was my understanding, correctly figured or otherwise.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He is largely credited for hold the team together and making the playoffs amid the Raiders controversy.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

Not feasible. They looking for a two year fill in and then have Zach take over. Whether it be Jimmy G, Tannehill or Rodgers, it will be a short engagement. 

You realize that 2-year fill in puts us at Zach’s fifth year? I doubt this is the actual strategy. Coaches have to give Zach hope and think maybe he can be salvaged, but zero percent chance this is a preordained plan. if you get a franchise QB in this moment, you take him and run.

• Upvote 2