Danny Jones wants $45m a year

Rhg1084

19 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

People who bring up minshews stats always seem to ignore one major issue. 22 fumbles. He barely even played last year and had 4 fumbles. 

That’s a fair criticism.  

But unless he has tiny baby hands (I dunno if he does or not) that’s a more fixable issue than many for QBs.  

After all, Daniel Jones had a big fumbling issue early in his career.  29 fumbles over his first 2 seasons.  Since then (2021-22):  13 combined fumbles.  

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That’s a fair criticism.  

But unless he has tiny baby hands (I dunno if he does or not) that’s a more fixable issue than many for QBs.  

I think he probably has average size hands. It likely happens when trying to move around the pocket and not paying attention or scrambling. He’s also on the shorter end so probably needs to move around a bit more than the taller guys 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

People who bring up minshews stats always seem to ignore one major issue. 22 fumbles. He barely even played last year and had 4 fumbles. 

Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

I’ve plugged Minshew longer and harder (giggity) than anyone on JN and have acknowledged his fumblitis repeatedly.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, slats said:

I honestly don’t like the options out there, which is one of the reasons I prefer a short term solution like Rodgers or Tannehill to an expensive, long term attempt at a solution in Carr. I’m not interested in the team winning a bidding war for a player I feel has been really overrated by a lot of people based almost entirely on total yards thrown. Let some other schmuck team overpay him. This way the Jets can look for a short term fix while looking ahead for a longer term solution when -hopefully- the options are better. 

Rodgers is a long term investment when you consider the opportunity cost of the draft picks you’d have to trade for him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

BTW even in this past season where he “disappeared “ he still had a better season than Rodgers 

Ummm ok... Yes Carr had a better season then Rodgers with no weapons and a broken hand... Congrats... You know who Carr was throwing to... The best wr or at least top 5 in the league and a top 5 te with a top 10 rb... Yet he still sucked... But yeah... Please keep telling me how they compare... 

Some on this site are just delusional to get any qb... Yes paying Carr 45-50 mill a year is insanity and the jets will suffer from it... 

If Carr is willing to take a severe pay cut of 30-35 maybe he is worth it. Also, thinking that he is cheaper just because he doesn't cost draft picks is also crazy pills. 

32 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rodgers is a long term investment when you consider the opportunity cost of the draft picks you’d have to trade for him.

I’m not convinced it’s going to be a haul of picks. If it is, I’m far less interested. But I think his contract, age, and overall persona have Green Bay ready to move on, and having someone take his contract would be doing them a favor. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not convinced it’s going to be a haul of picks. If it is, I’m far less interested. But I think his contract, age, and overall persona have Green Bay ready to move on, and having someone take his contract would be doing them a favor. 

As long as its not two 1sts I'm good with basically whatever GB ends up asking for.  

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Ron Rico said:

Sounds like he doesn't want to stay with Big Blue.

There could be some smoke there.

guy got booed at msg after he is drafted and while his own play was up and down had to deal with 3 years of terrible coaching.

then does not get his 5th year picked up which was the right move but prob pissed him off

maybe this is an f u move

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, oatmeal said:

In a limited QB market if jones wants this Carr’s number had to be at lest 40 mill per,

Jones is the better QB, played on a worst team with less offensive talent and already has more playoff wins

I seriously don’t know wassuppp with some of the fans around here but STOP LETTING THESE NYJ CONTENT CREATORS BRAINWASH YALL 

its laughable to say jones is better than carr

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Yes 50 mill a year if the expectation is Danny wants 45... How do you not make that correlation... 

You think they are the same or Jones is better??? ? 

i think jones at $45 million is crazy money for a mediocre QB who had one decent year, and really because his stats were propped up by probably not repeatable rushing numbers (given he's already had multiple injuries, i'd be very hesitant letting him run as much as he did last year, especially if they make a long-term investment in him) 

i think thinking carr is getting $50 million is absurd.  that mahomes level.  carr ain't coming near that.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Daboll knows QBs. If I were the Giants I’d listen to what he says here and go by that.

In two years Jones could end up looking like a bargain, just like the Mahomes and Allen. The numbers are only going to go up, so if you think you have “a guy” pay him, even if it feels steep right now.

The Giants are not going to give him 45 million per year on a long term deal. They can franchise him and pay him less than that amount next year. They would prefer to sign Jones and franchise Saquon I am sure. That is the safest way to get them both back.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

i think jones at $45 million is crazy money for a mediocre QB who had one decent year, and really because his stats were propped up by probably not repeatable rushing numbers (given he's already had multiple injuries, i'd be very hesitant letting him run as much as he did last year, especially if they make a long-term investment in him) 

i think thinking carr is getting $50 million is absurd.  that mahomes level.  carr ain't coming near that.

Haha says you... The market for qbs is set.. Carr isn't going to take any deal that people on this website post.... 40 Mil min. Per year probably higher his ask going to be at least what Jones asked for... But most likely more

13 hours ago, BurntDice said:

I think he probably has average size hands. It likely happens when trying to move around the pocket and not paying attention or scrambling. He’s also on the shorter end so probably needs to move around a bit more than the taller guys 

Watch him. He doesn’t take his eyes off the play downfield when he is flushed out. He keeps his shoulders squared and the ball cocked, locked and ready to rock. He doesn’t tuck it until he has committed to scramble. That’s the primary reason for his fumbles. He definitely needs to clean that up and throw more balls away or tuck and run more often.

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

I am hoping a 1st and a 3rd is the absolute most the Jets would have to give up.

3rd in '23. 1st in '24? Yeah, I am greedy I know.

If the Packers insist on this year's No. 13 overall pick to take Rodgers contract off their hands I hope Joe Douglas doesn't give in and pivots to other opportunities at quarterback. I want the playoff drought to end as much as anyone, but I would like to see it achieved in a responsible manner. Aaron Rodgers is almost 40 year's old. He's a 3rd place finisher in the NFC North. You don't give the No. 13 overall pick for that. 

25 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

This is trending towards the Giants moving on from Jones and then swooping in last minute to get the last guy available right before the Jets.

Despite the fact the Giants made the playoffs, I'd argue to say they're not a more desirable spot than the Jets. Not in the eyes of free agents this off-season.

13 hours ago, neckdemon said:

Maybe it is today, but a year or two from now? Who knows? Jones is on the rise while Carr has been trending flat for a while. 

11 hours ago, Maxman said:

The Giants are not going to give him 45 million per year on a long term deal. They can franchise him and pay him less than that amount next year. They would prefer to sign Jones and franchise Saquon I am sure. That is the safest way to get them both back.

Jints are in a bit of a quandary. I’m sure they’d rather use the tag at the $10M RB level for Saquon than $32M for Jones, who they’re probably still not 100% sold on. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Despite the fact the Giants made the playoffs, I'd argue to say they're not a more desirable spot than the Jets. Not in the eyes of free agents this off-season.

The Giants have one big advantage.  Their HC and GM will be with the Giants for years.  If the Jets fail to make the playoffs next year it will be a massive restart.  

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

He has a 44:15 career TD:INT ratio.

I get that he kinda sucked in one of his 2 starts last season (but did he though?  He cleared 8.5 YPA in both games), but the dream isn't yet dead on him being a capable starter in this league.  Juxtapose that with the other guys on the list for whom the book has basically been written.  Even Geno, who was of course very good this season but still displayed some of the old limitations we saw earlier in his career.

Minshew may not be better than anyone on that list but he has a wider range of outcomes at the moment and thus that makes him an intriguing option to me.

Minshew is as accurate as Carr and while he doesn't look like an A QB which Carr does he seems a lot mentally tougher.  Of course you can get him cheaper on a shorter deal so there is that which is huge. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's a typically overoptimistic look at things from a Jets fan.

The Giants are a real football organization, with a coach that knows how to build a modern offense, and a history of winning. The Jets have Woody Johnson and a coach that like t-shirts with slogans.

The Jets spent the money to fly Derek Carr in for a sandwich lunch this weekend at a place in Summit, NJ. Only problem is, he quietly then went and had a 5 star dinner at a Manhattan steakhouse with the Giants. It's a story as old as time.

Rodgers retires. Carr to Giants. Jones to Raiders. Jets end up with Taylor Heinicke.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

I think Jones is in a good position to hold the Giants up.  If they don't sign him, they will have to tag him.  He might not mind that since he will have big money and then be a FA again after another year in Daboll's O.  The Giants would be looking at the same suspects as us for QBs.   Would any of them be preferable long-term for Daboll than Jones with a year of successful experience in their O?  No reason for him to take less. 

14 hours ago, neckdemon said:

But he may be in a position to ask for a bigger contract.  At least a comparable one.