Rank your QB wishlist 1-5

Jetsfan80

Who is your # 1 choice for the Jets' QB1 job in 2023?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your # 1 choice for the Jets' QB1 job in 2023?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Derek Carr
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Gardner Minshew
    • Jameis Winston
    • Zach Wilson
    • Mike White
    • OTHER (specify in thread)
  2. 2. Who is your # 2 choice for the Jets' QB1 job in 2023?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Derek Carr
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Gardner Minshew
    • Jameis Winston
    • Zach Wilson
    • Mike White
    • OTHER (Specify in thread)
  3. 3. Who is your # 3 choice for the Jets' QB1 job in 2023?

4. 4. Who is your # 4 choice for the Jets' QB1 job in 2023?

• Aaron Rodgers
    • Derek Carr
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Ryan Tannehill
    • Jimmy Garoppolo
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Gardner Minshew
    • Jameis Winston
    • Zach Wilson
    • Mike White
    • OTHER (Specify in thread)
  5. 5. Who is your # 5 choice for the Jets' QB1 job in 2023?

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Last week, Max posted a poll asking you who your # 1 choice at QB would be:

193 of us voted, and the resulting top 3 were:  1) Rodgers (44.6 %), 2) Carr (25.4 %); 3) Jackson (10.9 %).

But what I'd like to know is whether there's consensus on who JN could live with at QB, as represented by a top 5 wishlist.

What's your list, JN?

Carr.

I think Rodgers should be the guy assuming they don’t give a crazy amount of draft pick.  He’ll cost money but the timing ( maybe 70 million for 2 seasons) fits with the rookie contracts of Zach, avt, sauce, Wilson, hall so he would be off the books.  The other guys will also cost money and Lamar will most likely require draft picks.

8 hours ago, Mogglez said:

1. Rodgers

2. Lamar

3. Carr

If we land none of the above?  Woody should step in and do whatever is necessary to guarantee a top 5 pick next year.  Put spending limits in place, cut people, idgaf anymore.  I’m so sick of not having a QB.

But as we all know by now, a top 5 pick doesn’t come close to guaranteeing us a franchise QB. We’ve had one on the roster since 2018. 

Is there someone you consider “generational” available next year? and even if you do, we need the #1 overall pick, not merely a top 5 pick. 

The jets have too much young talent and won too many games last year to realistically tank. And it certainly isn’t happening in year 3 of Robert Saleh, with him needing to win to keep his job. 

of course, none of this means you stop drafting QBs. I think you keep drafting QBs until you have a young one you believe in. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

But as we all know by now, a top 5 pick doesn’t come close to guaranteeing us a franchise QB. We’ve had one on the roster since 2018. 

Is there someone you consider “generational” available next year? and even if you do, we need the #1 overall pick, not merely a top 5 pick. 

The jets have too much young talent and won too many games last year to realistically tank. And it certainly isn’t happening in year 3 of Robert Saleh, with him needing to win to keep his job. 

of course, none of this means you stop drafting QBs. I think you keep drafting QBs until you have a young one you believe in. 

preview.jpg

1. Aaron Rodgers - without giving up our 2023 first round pick.

2. Derek Carr - show him the guaranteed money and don’t blink. 

3. Ryan Tannehill - arguably a better value trade than Rodgers.

4. Jimmy Garoppolo - this will be as costly contract wise as Derek Carr, but he's a bigger risk due to durability concerns.

5. Jameis Winston - potential to be as fun as Fitzpatrick and not as big of a commitment as some of the above choices.

If we miss out on all of the above, we just go to the junkyard and get Baker Mayfield.

• Upvote 1

I don't want a 39 year old QB who is flippant about whether or not he wants to play football.  I don't want Carr, who is demanding $35M per year, after he has been rejected by the Raiders.  

I want Tannehill as my #1 choice, Mineshew as my #2, and Baker Mayfield as my #3 choice.  My #4 choice is a draft choice, either in the 1st round or the 2nd round.

We don't need a savior, we need a game manager, and right now, the NY Jets don't have one.

• Upvote 1

Now is the time to go all in while Sauce and GW (and JJ) are still locked into rookie deals.

I’d cough up 2 1st rounders and a 3rd to the Ravens if that’s what it takes.

Offer Lamar 3 years fully guaranteed at 50M per with a big portion of it via signing bonus.  Add a couple voidable years at the end to spread out the cap hit.

The NFL is a cash cow.  The cap keeps going up every year.  50M will feel like a bargain real soon.

The QB salary wouldn’t be as much of a problem if they weren’t making stupid decisions like the 30+ M in guarantees committed to the scrub TEs Conk and CJU.

I mean Ruckert might be better right now than either of those guys, and he’s making peanuts.  He won’t see the field because the coach is “loyal”(a yes man) and has to uphold the GMs decisions, good or bad.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Now is the time to go all in while Sauce and GW (and JJ) are still locked into rookie deals.

I’d cough up 2 1st rounders and a 3rd to the Ravens if that’s what it takes.

Offer Lamar 3 years fully guaranteed at 50M per with a big portion of it via signing bonus.  Add a couple voidable years at the end to spread out the cap hit.

The NFL is a cash cow.  The cap keeps going up every year.  50M will feel like a bargain real soon.

The QB salary wouldn’t be as much of a problem if they weren’t making stupid decisions like the 30+ M in guarantees committed to the scrub TEs Conk and CJU.

I mean Ruckert might be better right now than either of those guys, and he’s making peanuts.  He won’t see the field because the coach is “loyal”(a yes man) and has to uphold the GMs decisions, good or bad.

Lamar would black hole the production from Garret, Breece or any other offensive weapon on the roster.  He would continue to run first, create spectacular plays with his legs and be an average but inconsistent passer.  He would win some games on his own.  But I maintain the issue with Lamar is that he  would become to much of a focal point of the offense, reducing the production of the players around him.  The most productive player in the Baltimore offense outside of Lamar was the TE Mark Andrews .. and that guy had less than 900 yds.  The WR all sub 600, same for RBs.  

Lamar would be fun to watch till about 30. But don't think he will bring any rings.

He would also cost a king's ransom and demand Watson/Maholmes like cash crippling the balance on the roster further exasperating the above stated problem, making it even worse.

Rogers: 2 years

Carr : 4 years .. front loaded with an escape route after 2

Jimmy G / Tannehill 3 yrs

Lamar : 3 years ( he won't take that)

Baker and the rest

Edited by Dunnie

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

You believe Zach is getting a 2nd contract here in NY?

I think it’s way too early to shut the door on Zach. It’s not like hackenberg where the coaches knew from the start he couldn’t make it. I’d at least give Zach one more season as back up. Get Hackett opinion of what he can and can’t do.

Carr

Rodgers

Lamar

Simply because of cost/benefit. Any of those three QBs has us easily in the playoff conversation and potential Super Bowl contenders. Car is the worst quarterback of the three but also will cost the least in contract and zero other assets, and that tips the balance

Garoppolo - a decent consolation price Assuming he's looking for something like a Kirk Cousins type deal and nothing outlandish.

Teddy Bridgewater - low cost, high accuracy, solid veteran, could get the ball 2-hour weapons and let them work in space. If we're not getting one of the above four, don't break the bank for mediocrity

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

I think it’s way too early to shut the door on Zach. It’s not like hackenberg where the coaches knew from the start he couldn’t make it. I’d at least give Zach one more season as back up. Get Hackett opinion of what he can and can’t do.

That's not really an answer to the question I asked you.  

Zach IS "getting one more season" regardless of what we all think, but it seems like it'll be a season as a #2/#3.

So again, do you believe Zach is getting a 2nd contract here in NY?  It really is a yes or no question.

Because again, I'm not planning current cap use to facilitate a theoretical and unlikely future possibility.

Just now, Warfish said:

Zach IS "getting one more season" regardless of what we all think, but it seems like it'll be a season as a #2/#3.

So again, do you believe Zach is getting a 2nd contract here in NY?  It really is a yes or no question.

Because again, I'm not planning current cap use to facilitate a theoretical and unlikely future possibility.

i wouldnt be so sure of zach even being here opening day.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one

Jets rocking Mike White t-shirts ahead of Vikings game

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

i'm an optimist.  i think douglas and even milfy saw so much in this kid that he's going to turn it around and be a successful qb. and if he starts in 2024 and is successful, he'll get a second contract.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i'm an optimist.  i think douglas and even milfy saw so much in this kid that he's going to turn it around and be a successful qb. and if he starts in 2024 and is successful, he'll get a second contract.

So you think the Jets taking up the fifth year option is already a foregone conclusion?

And that whatever QB we bring in for 2023 is a one-and-done guy?

This gets more interesting by the post..... 

1. Rodgers — One of the greatest QBs of the 21st century, and the only guy who makes us a contender. There are risks but the upside is there.

2. Carr — Probably the 2nd best option and gives us stability at the position we’ve probably never had in my lifetime. I’m not a huge believer but he’s good enough to make us a consistent winner.

3. Tannehill — If we whiff on the first two he’s the most reasonable fallback option. Won’t be that expensive.

4. Garapollo — We can do worse but he’s always injured and will he pricy.

5. Jameis — Of the reject options he strikes me as the most intriguing. Picking Baker over Winston if we’re rehabilitating a former first overall pick makes little sense to me.

Lamar would cost a fortune in draft capital and an insane contract. I don’t think he’s a real option.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

So you think the Jets taking up the fifth year option is already a foregone conclusion?

And that whatever QB we bring in for 2023 is a one-and-done guy?

This gets more interesting by the post..... 

not really. They don’t have to pick up the fifth year at the risk that he goes into free agency.  I don’t know when they need to pick up the fifth year. Presumably they would need to pick it up prior to the 2024 season. That could be a risk but it depends on how well he does this season. And this doesn’t mean they wouldn’t be looking for other QBs through the draft. I don’t see them drafting a top prospect in the near future.  And even if Zach doesn’t become the guy they want they will be showcasing him for possible trades.

• Upvote 1

1. Rodgers - an all-time great, who can still play at a high level. Hopefully, not excessively priced to trade for, should the Packers agree to trade him.

2. Carr - a top 12-15 NFL QB, good enough to win with and make some playoff noise. No trade comp, contract shouldn't be ridiculous for current market.

3 - Lamar. Would be higher based on pure talent, but cost to acquire him likely to be immense, and has had injury woes recently. If the Ravens place the non-exclusive franchise tag on him, he becomes a lot more appealing for the price of two #1s.

4 - Tannehill. Very solid QB, shouldn't be excessive in trade comp terms, contract is very reasonable in current market. Titans might well keep him.

5 - Mayfield, with White as backup. Going for a 2-for-1 deal here.  Mayfield should be reasonably priced, allowing us to also bring back White as 1A to compete in camp.