Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

12 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Mid round QB.  This is the way!

LOL at your signature.

I was hoping they would draft Tanner McKee.  He had a poor combine, so he may fall to third round.  But, they wont be drafting a QB, I don't think.  The way I see it, they view ZW as their "developmental" QB behind Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets deadline to both Rodgers and the Packers should have been weeks and weeks ago when other options were actually still on the table.

A deal should come together as both teams have far too much to lose for it not to happen.

Agreed.    Not sure why they didn’t have the trade in place before the jets were allowed to talk to him

5 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

That has nothing to do with the legalities of Rodgers current contract that GB can not get around with wishful thinking. That is the compelling fact. 

No, it isn’t. The “compelling fact” is they have Rodgers until we make an offer they’re happy with… and we don’t.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

54 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I understand the ramifications, but both sides face some here. 
I just don’t think the Packers are as concerned as we like to think they are. If they want to move him, they will eventually.
Rodgers isn’t retiring, and they don’t have to give Love the 20 mil this year, do they?

They kind of do have to give love the option in May.    They put three years into him and they are adamant he’s ready.  Love is their only option

2 minutes ago, slats said:

What’s the percentage of mid-round QBs who hit? Like, are even good backups? Easily single digits. You already have a #2 overall on the roster, and you’re gonna take a fifth rounder to “compete?” No, they’re not gonna do that, nor should they. If they’re that concerned about the backup job, they’ll bring in a journeyman to hold the fort there for a year or two and use their picks to build the team. 

Do you think they'll bring in someone who will challenge Zach Wilson and possibly make him the 3rd string quarterback?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

No, it isn’t. The compelling fact is they have Rodgers until we make an offer they’re happy with… and we don’t.

Yes... They have a QB and an upcoming $40mm expense and they don't want either of them.  How is it going to work out fo them if Rodgers shows up there for OT's sporting a flower power headband and conspicuous fuk-u attitude ???

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

The question is: Can the Jets regime survive having bad quarterback play again and missing the playoffs because they couldn't move this deal across the finish line....    Can the Packers regime survive a ruined cap the next few years because they couldn't move this deal across the finish line....   

It's simple. The gb regime just got long term extensions in June 2022. Jd is on his final 2 years. The gb regime reports to a mild mannered elected team president named Mark Murphy. The NYJ regime reports to a whimsical billionaire 

Strictly speaking the Gbp guys have safe jobs. Jd does not. 

This scenario where Gbp has to pay their living legend 10x pro bowl qb and maybe bench him does not get those guys fired. It's not convenient but arod is a living legend in that's town there's no real appetite to see him in any other uniform 

30 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

What the GB office wants is irrelevant.  Their "feelings" cant get around contract legalities.  Let's see how they feel about holding out to fleece the Jets when Rodgers shows up in GB for OTA's.  

At the same time, the Jets can show ZW in practice throwing the ball all over the field to Lazard, Wilson, Moore, Davis.

And we know that Rodgers is one of the few that can get by without having a camp.  He knows more offense than most OCs do and he'll be back in a system that he knows.

GB has NOTHING but a headache as leverage.

If I was JD, I would continue from this point on as if the Rodgers deal was dead and ZW was my QB

Remember, Rodgers wants to play for the Jets.  He can flat out refuse to play for any other team by retiring and leaving GB with no extra drat picks and a $40mm bill.

Hey, Joe D.  Let GB come begging for the Jets to give them a 7th round pick before week one happens.

GB has NOTHING.  

You guys are right about the Packers needing to move off that contract.   It’s the complete naivety sone of you have about the Jets needing to get this deal done that is just weird.   

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Do you think they'll bring in someone who will challenge Zach Wilson and possibly make him the 3rd string quarterback?

I’d expect them to bring in journeyman type if Zach looks nearly as lost as he did the last time we saw him, but I would not expect another rookie QB until Aaron and Zach are both gone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

It's simple. The gb regime just got long term extensions in June 2022. Jd is on his final 2 years. The gb regime reports to a mild mannered elected team president named Mark Murphy. The NYJ regime reports to a whimsical billionaire 

This scenario where Gbp has to pay their living legend 10x pro bowl qb and maybe bench him does not get those guys fired. It's not convenient but arod is a living legend in that's town there's no real appetite to see him in any other uniform 

Actually 95 percent of packer fans recognize that this day would come and that it’s time to pass the baton for better or worse.  

1 minute ago, THE BARON said:

Yes... They have a QB and an upcoming $40mm expense and they don't want either of them.  How is it going to work out fo them if Rodgers shows up there for OT's sporting a flower power headband and conspicuous fuk-u attitude ???

image.jpeg

You better pray that doesn’t happen, because if it comes to that Zach Wilson is our QB1 and Streveler is the backup,.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If JD gives up a #1 draft choice when he clearly does not have to, then he can worry about his job status.

The Jets absolutely do not need Aaron Rodgers,  GB absolutely needs to get rid of him before week 1. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Who said high round draft pick?

This year, I'd take a QB in the 5th round.

Round 1:  Center or OT

Round 3:  OT or Center (assumes we give up 2nd round pick)

Round 4:  Linebacker (Mosley's 2024 replacement; assumption is Jets sign a stop gap vet like Calais Campbell at DT)

Round 5:  Developmental QB

Round 6:  DT depth (replace Shepherd)

Undrafted:  Kick returner / slot (replace Berrios)

Safety:  Jets keep Whitehead and run with a rotation of Whitehead/Clark/Adams

In 2024, you base a QB selection on Zach & 2023 fifth rounder's development.  But a balanced approach is to keep drafting until you feel comfortable you are developing at least a good (average QB) so they can transition post Rodgers at a time his dead cap hit will prevent from getting a good veteran QB.  They'll instead need dollars to resign/extend the young bucks on their roster.

I think more likely trade down in the 5th or 6th so they can add an extra pick for a QB without decreasing the # of non-QB draft picks. Particularly by round 6 I'm not sure how scientific it is to match players & projected or presumed draft slots anyway.

We'll see what happens, but imo there's no way they're drafting a center at #13. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I’d expect them to bring in journeyman type if Zach looks nearly as lost as he did the last time we saw him, but I would not expect another rookie QB until Aaron and Zach are both gone. 

Having Rodgers does not solve the Jets QB problem.  It gives them a partial solution.  It gives them a QB to work with for two years while they develop the guy that will come in and take over in 2025.  

I dont see that being ZW as much as JD refuses to face facts. 

They should draft a QB this year and if he looks untrainable, draft another one next year as well. 

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, slats said:

What’s the percentage of mid-round QBs who hit? Like, are even good backups? Easily single digits. You already have a #2 overall on the roster, and you’re gonna take a fifth rounder to “compete?” No, they’re not gonna do that, nor should they. If they’re that concerned about the backup job, they’ll bring in a journeyman to hold the fort there for a year or two and use their picks to build the team. 

I tend not to talk in absolutes .. "they're not gonna do that".

That's your opinion.  We'll see.

In my opinion (not fact), I think it's smart for them to take a mid rounder this year and another mid rounder next year.  Keep taking them and see if you can hit or find a system QB.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

If JD gives up a #1 draft choice when he clearly does not have to, then he can worry about his job status.

The Jets absolutely do not need Aaron Rodgers,  GB absolutely needs to get rid of him before week 1. 

The Packers don’t need to do anything. By looking at love they are committed to a rebuild. The jets have to make the playoffs now or everyone gets fired 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

A deal should come together as both teams have far too much to lose for it not to happen.

This.  Neither team really has leverage since they both are screwed without each other.  What they have is time. 

Hopefully they are talking and Jets have an idea how much GB wants 23 picks instead of 24.  If they prefer 23 picks, then the deal gets done between now and the draft.  If they are willing to take 24 picks in order to spread the cap with a post June 1 trade, then we wait until June. 

I think it gets done before the draft.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

I don’t think Joe Douglas gives a ****. Most GMs don’t get second chances, but I suspect if the Jets stupidly decide to move on from JD that he’ll be scooped up fast. He’s massively improved a roster on an organization that the league knows was run like utter dog**** for the previous decade or so. He just drafted both the (unprecedented?) offensive and defensive ROYs in the same year. This is not a man worried about gainful employment. 

Your final two sentences merely, once again, demonstrate just how disinterested you are in the workings of the salary cap. Once Rodgers didn’t go quietly off into the retirement sunset, they had no other choice but to find a trade partner, and they’ve only found one. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I tend not to talk in absolutes .. "they're not gonna do that".

That's your opinion.  We'll see.

In my opinion (not fact), I think it's smart for them to take a mid rounder this year and another mid rounder next year.  Keep taking them and see if you can hit or find a system QB.

I also tend not to speak in absolutes, that’s just how certain I am. Seriously, taking QBs mid-late until you hit? That’s like dropping thousands on the lottery every week with similar odds. That’s why no one does that. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The Packers don’t need to do anything. By looking at love they are committed to a rebuild. The jets have to make the playoffs now or everyone gets fired 

No problem for them to pay $40mm to have a QB on their roster that has publicly made the GB franchise his personal urinal ??? 

18 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

A lot of good info here, from today 

The problem with this take is we don’t know where either side is at for compensation.   For instance I’d personally be happy with his trade proposal.   How do we know GB wouldn’t take that trade but that the Jets are nowhere close to that?   Nobody knows and nothing is getting leaked 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t think Joe Douglas gives a ****. Most GMs don’t get second chances, but I suspect if the Jets stupidly decide to move on from JD that he’ll be scooped up fast. He’s massively improved a roster on an organization that the league knows was run like utter dog**** for the previous decade or so. He just drafted both the (unprecedented?) offensive and defensive ROYs in the same year. This is not a man worried about gainful employment. 

Your final two sentences merely, once again, demonstrate just how disinterested you are in the workings of the salary cap. Once Rodgers didn’t go quietly off into the retirement sunset, they had no other choice but to find a trade partner, and they’ve only found one. 

The Packers gave him that contract. They know what's in it. It's not like a huge surprise for them. They always knew this cap hell was coming. They could just eat it. 

JD is 20-45 as a GM and drafted the worst qb bust since JaMarcus Russell 

The Jets have zero winning seasons under JD. In fact they just won 7 games in year 4, when they won 7 games in year 1

He'll be employed as a scout maybe but his gm tenure has not been a success 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

No problem for them to pay $40mm to have a QB on their roster that has publicly made the GB franchise his personal urinal ??? 

He's one of their greatest players of all time 

No its not a problem to let him ride pine and go off into the sunset. It's not ideal but they are better off than jd who needs to win or else 

2 minutes ago, ptisme said:

The problem with this take is we don’t know where either side is at for compensation.   For instance I’d personally be happy with his trade proposal.   How do we know GB wouldn’t take that trade but that the Jets are nowhere close to that?   Nobody knows and nothing is getting leaked 

True.  We are not getting any info at all.  It could be that both sides are being reasonable and have already worked out the basics.  The hold up could be circumstantial and not substantial. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I also tend not to speak in absolutes, that’s just how certain I am. Seriously, taking QBs mid-late until you hit? That’s like dropping thousands on the lottery every week with similar odds. That’s why no one does that. 

1st rounders as a whole only work out around 50% of the time. Not 1st round QBs. 1st rounders period.