Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think more likely trade down in the 5th or 6th so they can add an extra pick for a QB without decreasing the # of non-QB draft picks. Particularly by round 6 I'm not sure how scientific it is to match players & projected or presumed draft slots anyway.

We'll see what happens, but imo there's no way they're drafting a center at #13. 

@ #13 we're takin'  a  OL or a DL. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Packers have to trade him this year or the cap hit is huge next year... If he doesn't retire and packers want to get anything for him... 

Especially if they want 2023 draft picks... The closer the draft comes the more pressure is on packers not jets 

It's also a fact that the cap hit is bigger for GB this year to trade him rather than to keep him 

35 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Packers stretch it out beyond the draft, the Jets could opt to get into Lamar talks for the ‘24 and ‘25 ones, or talk to the Rams who’d probably love to trade Stafford - off the top of my head. The Packers, otoh, absolutely have to trade Rodgers. He cannot be on their books come September and cutting him doesn’t solve the problem, it exacerbates it. They have to trade him and the Jets are the only team willing to give anything so far. 

Again, I understand the ramifications for Green Bay, I think they do also. I doubt  they signed him to this deal without having any idea of the possible outcomes in the future regarding him staying, retiring or being traded.

They’re definitely not in a great spot here, but neither are we. Although I preferred LJ from the start, i don’t see that happening, and i don’t see moving Stafford being viable for the Rams this year either.

Unless they want a year of Zach or the Trevor Siemiens of this world, I think the Jets want this to get done as much as GB does.

I 100% think it will, but  I’d love to know whether the actual problem is timeline, compensation or contractual structure, and who’s holding up who right now.

I also think a huge part of this is that GB gave AR this contract and did it the way they did, with this year being the easiest out for them. That was on purpose. The fan base knew this. What the fan base is still thinking is as if he is still coming off those 2020 and 2021 seasons. So when they think of him. They think they're trading away an MVP. When that just wasn't the case last year. ARs stats were above average. Far from MVP.

So when GB hears what's ARs value. They revert back to thinking of the 2020 and 2021 AR not the current most recent 2022 AR. And so when they think of trade value they think an MVP at any age is worth at least a 1st. When in fact the 2022 AR was above average and is now 39 which isn't worth even a 3rd.

From a cap perspective, for GB trading Rodgers now is relatively manageable this year, and they would be well-situated to make a run with Love next year if he is any good.  

This contract is awful.  They should take what the Jets are offering to take it off their hands and move on. 

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think... like everything in this, is there's 2 sides to it. I actually think Boomer's trade offer is right around what I think the price is we wind up getting him for.

But GB fans will say... well that's Boomer a Jets fan saying this. Which is true. So they think that offer is crazy low. When if you add up swapping 13 and 15, that's a late 3rd rounder in value, a 2nd this year and a conditional pick next year... that's puts you right at a late 1st rounder in value.

So let's look at how that ranks NFL draft trade chart value wise. 13 to 15 in 100pts. Our 2nd is 470pts. So that alone in value puts that trade offer at the value of what would be between the 33rd and 34th pick. So very close to a 1st round value. So if we throw a conditional scenario in there that keeps us at that area of the 3rd or 4th round area. Your right around that bottom 5 of the 1st round area. Which for them should be better. You have 3 shots to get impact players. Where if we were to trade them just 1 pick. That one guy fails and it looks awful for them. 

What I think is spot on is his take on GBs ego's right now. JD is a GM that has had some of the best training a GM can have in his NFL FO career. Gutenkust has been with GB and knows really nothing else for 25 years now. He has no clue how regular franchises are run. He had 1 year of scouting in KC (when he was 25yrs old) before going to GB. That's hardly seeing how things work. Eventually GB needs to put their egos to the side and do right by their franchise legend. No paying him for 15 years isn't all you owe him. Especially the way that team is ran. They have no QB these last 15 years and who knows if GB even has a team still. Quite frankly they're a franchise that has got lucky on 2 HOF QBs with very long careers for them. And that's gotten them by for 30 years. And this is where the ego comes in with them. But they were the pones who put a time frame on this and gave AR that contract. Not the Jets. So it's on them to do things right now. Jets gave their offer. AR only wants us. It's not now the time to play hardball. Except that's too late. This has already gone on too long. I feel like in 10 years we talk about this saga and lets say the trade goes through Thursday this week. It will have felt like it went on for months looking back.

13 swapped for 15, our 2023 2nd and a conditional pick that can only go as high as a 2nd in 2024 (if we win the SB) and as low as a 4th. Seems fair.

We do need Rodgers. So we are desperate. But we aren't send them a straight up 1st for him desperate.

The longer this drags out is bad for all sides.

That is WAY too much compensation. Way way too much. He is essentially a $75M one year rental and if GB cannot trade him they WILL release him. No more than the Favre trade and less than that because of the contract.

• Upvote 1

On 3/18/2023 at 11:50 PM, Wit said:

My point isn’t that JD is bad at his job; but putting another team over a barrel and embarrassing them won’t help with future trades and deals.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

When it comes to trades, I want JD to go full Gimp mode and bend the other GM's over a bench.

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I also think a huge part of this is that GB gave AR this contract and did it the way they did, with this year being the easiest out for them. That was on purpose. The fan base knew this. What the fan base is still thinking is as if he is still coming off those 2020 and 2021 seasons. So when they think of him. They think they're trading away an MVP. When that just wasn't the case last year. ARs stats were above average. Far from MVP.

So when GB hears what's ARs value. They revert back to thinking of the 2020 and 2021 AR not the current most recent 2022 AR. And so when they think of trade value they think an MVP at any age is worth at least a 1st. When in fact the 2022 AR was above average and is now 39 which isn't worth even a 3rd.

And… Our fan base thinks he’s taking us to the Super Bowl. Yet we want him on the cheap.

17 minutes ago, bitonti said:

It's also a fact that the cap hit is bigger for GB this year to trade him rather than to keep him 

True... But if they keep him they get nothing and a qb controversy and have a 60 million or more cap hit in 2024... 

Jets would just pivot to a terrible option like Stafford. 

Not sure why packer apologists don't understand this

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

We want him on the cheap because he’s 39 and may only play 1 more year. 

there’s plenty of room for a compromise 

I agree, except I doubt we make the deal if he’s only going to play one year.

My issue is with the guys who act like GB (and their fans) are overvaluing him while we talk about winning Super Bowls with him.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

And… Our fan base thinks he’s taking us to the Super Bowl. Yet we want him on the cheap.

That's the risk though for us though isn't it? That we're "hoping" he still can be that 2020 and 2021 AR.

But when negotiating, to just pay for that guy when the most recent AR was just above average would be stupid.

Teams take these risks all the time.

6 minutes ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

True... But if they keep him they get nothing and a qb controversy and have a 60 million or more cap hit in 2024... 

Jets would just pivot to a terrible option like Stafford. 

Not sure why packer apologists don't understand this

Rams aren’t trading Stafford.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That's the risk though for us though isn't it? That we're "hoping" he still can be that 2020 and 2021 AR.

But when negotiating, to just pay for that guy when the most recent AR was just above average would be stupid.

Teams take these risks all the time.

We’ve backed ourselves into a corner letting this go on as far as it has. Are the Packers in a tough spot also? Sure, but in all honesty I’d rather be “stuck” with Aaron Rodgers than Zach Wilson.

If we had dumped Zach and signed Minshew to that 1 year $3.5 mil deal he got, we’d be in a much better negotiating position, imo.

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We’ve backed ourselves into a corner letting this go on as far as it has. Are the Packers in a tough spot also? Sure, but in all honesty I’d rather be “stuck” with Aaron Rodgers than Zach Wilson.

If we had dumped Zach and signed Minshew to that 1 year $3.5 mil deal he got, we’d be in a much better negotiating position, imo.

You do realize we can do that at any time. But why jump the gun? We could go sign Carson Wentz, Teddy B or Matt Ryan. Then GB loses all it's little leverage?

But no sense in doing that if we don't have to. That's wasting cap space just to try and get the ball moving in this trade?

32 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Again, I understand the ramifications for Green Bay, I think they do also. I doubt  they signed him to this deal without having any idea of the possible outcomes in the future regarding him staying, retiring or being traded.

They’re definitely not in a great spot here, but neither are we. Although I preferred LJ from the start, i don’t see that happening, and i don’t see moving Stafford being viable for the Rams this year either.

Unless they want a year of Zach or the Trevor Siemiens of this world, I think the Jets want this to get done as much as GB does.

I 100% think it will, but  I’d love to know whether the actual problem is timeline, compensation or contractual structure, and who’s holding up who right now.

When they negotiated this contract last year, Rodgers was coming off back-to-back MVP years, with the Packers winning 13 games in each of those seasons. They wanted to make another run with him, and they negotiated this expensive deal to do just that with a lot of expectation that they’d simply win the Super Bowl and Rodgers would retire, negating a large chunk of the deal. That didn’t happen, and Rodgers wants to keep playing, so now they need to trade that contract away. They can technically push it out until the contract’s due date, but JD could also lower his offer to a conditional 2029 seventh rounder at that point, too, and that would be better for the Packers than the alternative. 

• Upvote 3