Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

36 minutes ago, BP said:

This is all on woody. The rest of the guys wanted Carr. So woody will own this no matter what happens now. 

We need to stop believing everything we read in the papers or on twitter. We have no idea if Saleh or JD wanted Carr more and I am going to go out on a limb and say his former OC likely preferred Rodgers over Carr. 

Hearing that "people in the front office" wanted Carr from a random source is just the media trying to generate clicks just like when we heard "the deal is already in place between the jets and packers, we are just waiting on Rodgers to decide..."

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

He knew that going into his darkness retreat.  That's why he said he was 90% retired and figured he'd played his last game at Lambeau.

GB moving onto Love wasn't what bothered him.  GB starting to shop him after all their talks of retirement & taking time to decide is what bothered him.  

It shouldn’t have.   They had to start talking with other teams in case he decided not to retire

8 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This is just fan faction. 

If this was all Woody, Rodgers would have been a Jet the night of the McAfee interview or earlier, having given up two 1st round picks. 

The mere fact that it has taken this long virtually proves its JD running the show. 

Could be he is being forced to do it; and is possibly struggling to be the smartest guy in the room that is cornered by a family of idiots......

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Malik Cunningham is a UDFA. You can get him and Rodgers if that’s your jam

He's a late 1 early 2 and underrated just like real Lamar 

The point is you don't stop trying to do things the right way, just because you failed before 

The Jets should build a program like a real one over years not just reverse mortgage the cap for one last hurrah 

Remember Salehs first motto: there are no shortcuts 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

As it currently stands, Rodgers’ cap hit in 25 and 26 is a little more than $30 mil per. Even if they don’t re-do the contract to minimize those hits, the Jets are rolling with a rookie or second year QB after Rodgers leaves anyway, so the QB spend won’t be prohibitive.

Exactly.  Draft one this year AND next and let them sit & learn behind one of the greatest.  

We'll have one going into their 3rd year and one going into their 2nd year.

At that point, one of the 2 (or Zach, however doubtful) MIGHT be ready to take over for a team that should still be loaded except for QB.  

QB drafting & development needs to be a TOP PRIORITY so we can have a smooth transition when Rodgers leaves.

Lessons learned from morgan & ZACH

1. We need to invest in talent scouting at this critical position

2. Psychologic testing needs to be a part of any evaluation ... can this QB handle the pressure?

3. Draft someone with innate leadership qualities

4. Pay a premium for a top QB coach with proven experience developing NFL talent

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, BP said:

This is all on woody. The rest of the guys wanted Carr. So woody will own this no matter what happens now. 

If you believe you have a good chance to get Rodgers then you go and do it. We've all been saying he was never going to leave $110m on the table. Saleh is best friends with his head coach, I'm sure they know Love was the QB for 2023 during the season. This move allows Douglas to groom the QB he selected, how you don't think he is in on this is beyond me.

The Jets used Carr, Carr used the Jets. The Saints made the most sense for him, and we wanted to shoot for the stars. It appears the Jets will end up being correct and landing Rodgers.

• Upvote 1

He's a late 1 early 2 and underrated just like real Lamar 
The point is you don't stop trying to do things the right way, just because you failed before 
The Jets should build a program like a real one over years not just reverse mortgage the cap for one last hurrah 
Remember Salehs first motto: there are no shortcuts 

Don’t you think that having a Super Bowl winning all time great QB in the building will help EVERYONE in the building understand how to win? Joe Flacco cost a fifth. We can spend a second or third on this guy who otherwise would I’ll cost money.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ptisme said:

It shouldn’t have.   They had to start talking with other teams in case he decided not to retire

Then they should have told him: "If you want to play, it will be somewhere else." Not tell him he's welcome back and then shop him behind his back.

This is obviously assuming Rodgers was telling the truth, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Wit said:

Don’t you think that having a Super Bowl winning all time great QB in the building will help EVERYONE in the building understand how to win? Joe Flacco cost a fifth. We can spend a second or third on this guy who otherwise would I’ll cost money.

It's short term thinking 

2 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

Then they should have told him: "If you want to play, it will be somewhere else." Not tell him he's welcome back and then shop him behind his back.

This is obviously assuming Rodgers was telling the truth, but I have no reason to believe otherwise.

So someone is lying....  What I heard is that was made clear to him and he's being untruthful...   I have no dog in that fight so not sure who to believe.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think the Jets will do any Lamar Jackson fishing unless the Aaron Rodgers thing completely blows up. Personally feel we should wait it out and we will be in a better position than if we gave in to the pressure now. Everyone knows that Lamar Jackson is going back to the Ravens. That includes every team in the NFL. Why play that game, to scare the packers when the only thing it will do is, let Aaron Rodgers know we might move in another direction? Unless he’s in on it. He asked for transparency and he deserves that. 

2 hours ago, Wit said:

We had one in Flacco who actually won it more recently than Rodgers.  Green Bay has been under achievers in the playoffs for the last decade.

Rodgers is the best QB we can hope for right now but the super bowl angle is ancient history.

• Upvote 2

Exactly.  Draft one this year AND next and let them sit & learn behind one of the greatest.  
We'll have one going into their 3rd year and one going into their 2nd year.
At that point, one of the 2 (or Zach, however doubtful) MIGHT be ready to take over for a team that should still be loaded except for QB.  
QB drafting & development needs to be a TOP PRIORITY so we can have a smooth transition when Rodgers leaves.

Lessons learned from morgan & ZACH
1. We need to invest in talent scouting at this critical position
2. Psychologic testing needs to be a part of any evaluation ... can this QB handle the pressure?
3. Draft someone with innate leadership qualities
4. Pay a premium for a top QB coach with proven experience developing NFL talent

Zach's story ain't over .... Yet

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Zach's story ain't over .... Yet

This.

Part of the allure for me is the idea that Zach models his game after AR, has had player comparisons to AR, and already has a working rapport with Aaron Rodgers.  They’re both 6’2, 215 gunslingers with crazy arm talent.

Getting the opportunity to learn from his hero/mentor, and grow from the bench for 1-2 years is what makes this deal really fantastic. Just as Aaron moves into his retirement phase we could have his replacement doppelgänger in tow, ready to go, and make us a legit contender for the next decade plus.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

Out of respect / deference to Brady, even scummy Bob Kraft let him walk to Tampa for nothing.

But because the Packers don’t have an owner, nothing short of a fan revolt against Murphy (and the board threatening to remove him) would cause him to fold.

And the good people of Wisconsin are too polite for that sort of thing, I guess.

Murphy is going to drag this thing out to the bitter end.

• Sympathy 1

36 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Out of respect / deference to Brady, even scummy Bob Kraft let him walk to Tampa for nothing.

But because the Packers don’t have an owner, nothing short of a fan revolt against Murphy (and the board threatening to remove him) would cause him to fold.

And the good people of Wisconsin are too polite for that sort of thing, I guess.

Brady was a free agent 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This.

Part of the allure for me is the idea that Zach models his game after AR, has had player comparisons to AR, and already has a working rapport with Aaron Rodgers.  They’re both 6’2, 215 gunslingers with crazy arm talent.

Getting the opportunity to learn from his hero/mentor, and grow from the bench for 1-2 years is what makes this deal really fantastic. Just as Aaron moves into his retirement phase we could have his replacement doppelgänger in tow, ready to go, and make us a legit contender for the next decade plus.

Nervous Jets GIF by The Undroppables

What Zach really needs is the confidence and mentality of a gunslinger. Rodgers has that in spades. 

Zach, not so much.
200.gif

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Rodgers has a trump card in this situation if he felt like playing it. He could go to the packers and say trade me by the draft or I will refuse a trade to any team and I won't retire either. Green Bay DOES NOT want that to happen. 

Jets also have a move they could attempt (they would have to let Rodgers know they aren't moving on from wanting him first though). That would be to bring in Lamar Jackson and then even let potential contract offers for him leak into the media. Green Bay could get spooked by this and lower their demands to get a trade done. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

Rodgers has a trump card in this situation if he felt like playing it. He could go to the packers and say trade me by the draft or I will refuse a trade to any team and I won't retire either. Green Bay DOES NOT want that to happen. 

Jets also have a move they could attempt (they would have to let Rodgers know they aren't moving on from wanting him first though). That would be to bring in Lamar Jackson and then even let potential contract offers for him leak into the media. Green Bay could get spooked by this and lower their demands to get a trade done. 

This.

Rodgers can make this thing move faster. He can say if you don't trade me by "x" date.... I'm playing for you guys. And if you try and trade me to another team besides the Jets post that date. I will retire and collect that money you would still owe me. So it's in GBs best interest than to trade him to us before that date. Because they don't want him playing for them. Bc that doesn't allow them to see what Love has, as well as that they don't want to pay him the remainder of that money he's owed this year. Obviously they don't want to pay him to retire when they can pay him less and get draft capital the other way. If they'd did this. Quite frankly they deserve to lose their franchise with how idiotic and stubborn that would be.

At that point whatever our offer is is better than getting nothing AND having to pay Rodgers to either play for them or to be retired.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

As the greatest narcissist in Green Bay Packer history Rodgers probably thinks he's worth 2 1's.  He might actual feel the Jets offering Green Bay a half eaten bag of chips for him is an insult.  

• WTF? 1

11 hours ago, JTJet said:

This is just fan faction. 

If this was all Woody, Rodgers would have been a Jet the night of the McAfee interview or earlier, having given up two 1st round picks. 

The mere fact that it has taken this long virtually proves its JD running the show. 

I think that people who are familiar with JD are laughing at the packers mindset that he will become impatient and cave to the packers demands. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

As the greatest narcissist in Green Bay Packer history Rodgers probably thinks he's worth 2 1's.  He might actual feel the Jets offering Green Bay a half eaten bag of chips for him is an insult.  

Or, he’ll appreciate a front office valuing its first round picks with the intent to use them to improve the team now rather than select a backup for their HOF QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

I wonder what it would cost to sign Teddy Two Gloves (again) on a 1-year deal (again) as a backup?

Would give the Jets a proven backup with legit starting experience, and provide insurance in the event that the Rodgers trade doesn't finally get concluded. It would also lessen GB's argument that the Jets have no other option than Rodgers.

Once the Rodgers deal finally happens (which I think it will), you either have Two Gloves as a quality backup, or you trade him (again) to another team and roll with AR and ZW as your top two.