Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So what's your plan dude.  

This is the big question.

To me, the other main option on the market was Carr. The Jets clearly preferred Rodgers and let Carr walk to the Saints without giving him an offer. Once that move was made, Rodgers was clearly the best veteran option available (and many felt Rodgers was the best option available, even including Carr). 

I joked about this recently, but everyone seems to agree that Zach Wilson needs to be replaced by a veteran, but nobody seems to actually want to replace him with anyone specific. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Why? His spot ended weeks ago.

His last appearance was only because he wanted to get his side of the story out, and dispute what some talking heads were “reporting”.

Yeah, unless people really want to hear this dude pontificate about non-football stuff, there really isn't much else to say. 

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

How? They already know what his options are.

What do you mean how?

He goes on there and once every week or 2 and says how he’s just still waiting for the deal to get done. And says if it doesn’t he’ll be at voluntary camp in 2 weeks. That puts pressure on GB. Doesn’t hurt the Jets at all. And actually makes him look better.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

What do you mean how?

He goes on there and once every week or 2 and says how he’s just still waiting for the deal to get done. And says if it doesn’t he’ll be at voluntary camp in 2 weeks. That puts pressure on GB. Doesn’t hurt the Jets at all. And actually makes him look better.

If you say so. I think it does the opposite.

BTW why can’t GB tell Rodgers to stay home until a trade is worked out?

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This is the big question.

To me, the other main option on the market was Carr. The Jets clearly preferred Rodgers and let Carr walk to the Saints without giving him an offer. Once that move was made, Rodgers was clearly the best veteran option available (and many felt Rodgers was the best option available, even including Carr). 

I joked about this recently, but everyone seems to agree that Zach Wilson needs to be replaced by a veteran, but nobody seems to actually want to replace him with anyone specific. 

There were several specific people I’d have replaced him with.

They’re all signed now.

JD is Rogers or bust. Bust being starting ZW again in 2023. The other options are no longer options.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

There were several specific people I’d have replaced him with.

They’re all signed now.

JD is Rogers or bust. Bust being starting ZW again in 2023. The other options are no longer options.

Obviously I have no idea what’s transpired so far in these trade talks, but I can’t help but wonder why JD let this go on for as long as it has. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but i don’t see where his leverage is now that the other QBs are off the board.

People are going to say “what about the Packers?” My answer is, nothing has changed for them. They’re in exactly the same spot they were when they supposedly decided to move on at the end of last season.
Their hand has remained the same, but ours has gotten considerably weaker imo.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Obviously I have no idea what’s transpired so far in these trade talks, but I can’t help but wonder why JD let this go on for as long as it has. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but i don’t see where his leverage is now that the other QBs are off the board.

People are going to say “what about the Packers?” My answer is, nothing has changed for them. They’re in exactly the same spot they were when they supposedly decided to move on at the end of last season.
Their hand has remained the same, but ours has gotten considerably weaker imo.

As has been pointed out ad nauseam by now, the Packers have the same hand, but time is their enemy. The Jets can wait them out. Why? Because, eventually, the Packers have to pay Aaron Rodgers. The Jets technically don't have to complete the trade until August - which is when they traded for Brett Favre. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

As has been pointed out ad nauseam by now, the Packers have the same hand, but time is their enemy. The Jets can wait them out. Why? Because, eventually, the Packers have to pay Aaron Rodgers. The Jets technically don't have to complete the trade until August - which is when they traded for Brett Favre. 

Let’s say you’re right, and the Jets have until August. Can’t the Packers wait until the day before the season starts in the second week of September?

(if they don’t bite their nose to spite their face and just keep him)

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

Isn’t that what the Raiders did with Carr at the end of last year? (I honestly don’t know the answer, it’s why I said what I did)

The Raiders mired it in "performance" and "injury" related reasons, but everyone knew what they were doing.

Much harder to do that in the offseason. 

7 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Let’s say you’re right, and the Jets have until August. Can’t the Packers wait until the day before the season starts in the second week of September?

(if they don’t bite their nose to spite their face and just keep him)

Realistically - no

I don’t see how they can let him report to camp. (Fear of injury) 

and keeping him? That ship sank weeks ago. 

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Realistically - no

I don’t see how they can let him report to camp. (Fear of injury) 

and keeping him? That ship sank weeks ago. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is big. If he reports they run that risk of injury and are screwed

If Rodgers gets injured, everyone is screwed. They’re in cap hell, and our season is over.

59 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If you say so. I think it does the opposite.

BTW why can’t GB tell Rodgers to stay home until a trade is worked out?

If they tried doing this, Rodgers would state that he’s retiring and the Packers would have to find another $9 mil in cap space this year to accommodate the $40+ mil cap hit for this year. They could beg Rodgers to restructure or retire post-6/1, but Rodgers would tell them to EAD. They could also try calling Rodgers’ bluff, but that’s cutting your nose off territory.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If they tried doing this, Rodgers would state that he’s retiring and the Packers would have to find another $9 mil in cap space this year to accommodate the $40+ mil cap hit for this year. They could beg Rodgers to restructure or retire post-6/1, but Rodgers would tell them to EAD. They could also try calling Rodgers’ bluff, but that’s cutting your nose off territory.

All true, their cap would be shot if he retires , but they’d at least save his $58 mil in salary this year and another $50 mil next year, no?

They’d most likely be in rebuild mode anyway, but if they had to they could just go New Orleans style and work around the cap hits if need be.

16 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

If Rodgers gets injured, everyone is screwed. They’re in cap hell, and our season is over.

Agreed, but that’s not relevant to my main pont - which is that Green Bay is under pressure to trade him before he steps foot in their building again.