Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

5 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed, but that’s not relevant to my main pont - which is that Green Bay is under pressure to trade him before he steps foot in their building again. 

Yeah, but my point is we’re under the same pressure to get him into ours to become familiar with a new offense and receiving corps. Plus we don’t have a viable NFL QB on our roster.

This is one of those situations where there’s a Ying for every Yang.

1 minute ago, Green Ghost said:

All true, their cap would be shot if he retires , but they’d at least save his $58 mil in salary this year and another $50 mil next year, no?

Yep, but they’d be burning a year of Jordan Love’s development, carrying $60 mil in QB contracts, and ******* over a franchise legend because they want pick 13 instead of 43. Rodgers could also pull a Favre and not file papers, then announce in September that he doesn’t want to retire, at which point Green Bay would be forced to pay him $60 mil cash or crawl back to Douglas and hope he hasn’t traded for Tannehill in the interim. Cutting Rodgers would result in a $99 million dollar cap hit. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yep, but they’d be burning a year of Jordan Love’s development, carrying $60 mil in QB contracts, and ******* over a franchise legend because they want pick 13 instead of 43. Rodgers could also pull a Favre and not file papers, then announce in September that he doesn’t want to retire, at which point Green Bay would be forced to pay him $60 mil cash or crawl back to Douglas and hope he hasn’t traded for Tannehill in the interim. Cutting Rodgers would result in a $99 million dollar cap hit. 

There’s a hundred things that could happen, but be honest here. Do you really think Rodgers wants to scorch every bit of ground on his way out of Green Bay?
He’s built a legacy there, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to see it burn on his way out the door.

59 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Obviously I have no idea what’s transpired so far in these trade talks, but I can’t help but wonder why JD let this go on for as long as it has. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but i don’t see where his leverage is now that the other QBs are off the board.

People are going to say “what about the Packers?” My answer is, nothing has changed for them. They’re in exactly the same spot they were when they supposedly decided to move on at the end of last season.
Their hand has remained the same, but ours has gotten considerably weaker imo.

JD’s leverage is bigger because they’re off the board.  Well, more to the point - every team now has their preemptive starting QB (unless the ones that are drafting ones)

in other words.  Those QB’s are off the board because a potential Rodgers suitor paid them. The Jets are the only game in town now.  That wasn’t the case when Carr, Jimmy and even Tua not yet committed to.  
Every time one of those guys signed it was one less team to outbid. Until now there is no one else to out bid.  

Just now, Green Ghost said:

There’s a hundred things that could happen, but be honest here. Do you really think Rodgers wants to scorch every bit of ground on his way out of Green Bay? He’s built a legacy there, and I’m sure he doesn’t want to see it burn on his way out the door.

I think Rodgers really, really hates Gutenkunst and would find a way to burn him alive if Gutenkunst tried ******* him over on the way out. The fact that Rodgers hasn’t spiked him publicly makes me think the deal is pretty much settled law and they’re just quibbling about peripheral minutiae. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

JD’s leverage is bigger because they’re off the board.  Well, more to the point - every team now has their preemptive starting QB (unless the ones that are drafting ones)

in other words.  Those QB’s are off the board because a potential Rodgers suitor paid them. The Jets are the only game in town now.  That wasn’t the case when Carr, Jimmy and even Tua not yet committed to.  
Every time one of those guys signed it was one less team to outbid. Until now there is no one else to out bid.  

You might be the only football fan in America who thinks having Zach Wilson as our only alternative was a master stroke by Joe Douglas.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think Rodgers really, really hates Gutenkunst and would find a way to burn him alive if Gutenkunst tried ******* him over on the way out. The fact that Rodgers hasn’t spiked him publicly makes me think the deal is pretty much settled law and they’re just quibbling about peripheral minutiae. 

I think Rodgers has agreed to go to the Jets, and has also told them he’ll play at least two years. He’s probably let them know he’ll rework his contract also.

I think Green Bay knows this, and isn’t budging from a price JD doesn’t want to pay. That’s the holdup, imo.
If you consider it  “peripheral minutia” when everything but the compensation has been agreed to, okay. I agree with you.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Right now he’s the only QB.

Who cares? Rodgers will be a Jet.   
and if the Jets had Gardener Misdscrew or Mike White on the roster - it would not change one single thing as to what the GB. compensation will ultimately be.  

Who will be the Jets back up QB next year is a worthy conversation but has zero influence on the trade value for Rodgers.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I think Rodgers has agreed to go to the Jets, and has also told them he’ll play at least two years. He’s probably let them know he’ll rework his contract also.

I think Green Bay knows this, and isn’t budging from a price JD doesn’t want to pay. That’s the holdup, imo.
If you consider it  “peripheral minutia” when everything but the compensation has been agreed to, okay. I agree with you.

I don’t think they’d be this far down the road on this if the difference was Green Bay wanting 13 vs 43, with Douglas refusing to budge. Green Bay would need another team to jump in to move Douglas off his block, and it doesn’t appear as though that’s happening. 

33 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Does it matter now? I said it many times pre-FA, no value in repeating it now.

You’re right, it doesn’t matter. 

then again, nothing we say on this message board ever really matters. Just passing time until the draft or Rodgers trade - whatever happens first. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Who cares? Rodgers will be a Jet.   
and if the Jets had Gardener Misdscrew or Mike White on the roster - it would not change one single thing as to what the GB. compensation will ultimately be.  

Who will be the Jets back up QB next year is a worthy conversation but has zero influence on the trade value for Rodgers.  

I think the whole “what else are the Jets gonna do?” is just part of the media narrative about leverage. In the hypothetical where the Rodgers deal doesn’t happen, the Packers get set on fire for 2023 and 2024, and the Jets turn around and give the Titans a future third for Tannehill. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think they’d be this far down the road on this if the difference was Green Bay wanting 13 vs 43, with Douglas refusing to budge. Green Bay would need another team to jump in to move Douglas off his block, and it doesn’t appear as though that’s happening. 

Hence, the deadlock?
The Green Bay GM doesn’t seem to be too nervous about anything.

Just now, Green Ghost said:

Hence, the deadlock?
The Green Bay GM doesn’t seem to be too nervous about anything.

He should be because his offense stinks, he can’t add free agents with Rodgers still on the payroll, and his future prospects are at the mercy of an increasingly bitter peyote aficionado who wants to start scouting condos in Hoboken.  

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Yeah, but my point is we’re under the same pressure to get him into ours to become familiar with a new offense and receiving corps. Plus we don’t have a viable NFL QB on our roster.

This is one of those situations where there’s a Ying for every Yang.

Eh, to an extent, sure. I still don’t think that matches the packers pressure. 

again - we traded for Favre in August and he didn’t know the offense at all. Rodgers had back to back MVP seasons with our current OC. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

You’re right, it doesn’t matter. 

then again, nothing we say on this message board ever really matters. Just passing time until the draft or Rodgers trade - whatever happens first. 

True enough, just don’t see a point in relitigatiing preferences when it’s been talked to death and all the ships have sailed is all.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Larz said:

So y’all don’t trust Jason at otc when he says there is a benefit for the packers to wait past June 1?

Here’s Jason’s argument for waiting, fyi: 

There are some benefits to waiting if you are Green Bay and I’ve discussed those in the past. From a salary cap standpoint the Packers can split his dead money up as $15,833,770 this year and $24,480,000 in 2024. So rather than losing salary cap space in 2023 they would actually gain some room.

Delaying a trade would also give the Packers time to save face with their fanbase when it comes to draft compensation. While there are a number of reasons why Rodgers is not going to bring a Russell Wilson like haul, it would probably be a bad look for Green Bay to trade away their star player in March and receive nothing more than a 2nd or 3rd this season and maybe a conditional pick next year. They can completely avoid the discussion of a pick this year by waiting and then get the Jets to focus on next year, which may be the best for both sides as the Jets should feel that next years 1st round pick will be much less valuable then next year’s number 1 pick. Since Rodgers would probably not be much of an offseason attendee anyway it is not a big deal for the Jets to wait other than having the final clarity and ability to parade him around for a week before he heads back home until mandatory OTAs.

At some point the timing moves away from the Packers favor and into the Jets favor. While his bonus is called an option, there is nothing optional about the bonus. The salary is guaranteed whether or not the bonus is exercised. So if the Packers fail to exercise the option, Rodgers salary will spike through the roof and quite frankly the Packers would not have the cap room to handle that, so they would have no choice but to pick it up.

While in theory the Packers could hope to get another team involved during this waiting period this option bonus and contract structure is really prohibitive to a third team being involved. Rodgers contract has $108.8 million to be paid out in 2023 and 2024, with $59.515 million coming this year. That is an average salary of $54.4 million per year, about $5 million a year more than the next closest player. There is no long term commitment that comes with Rodgers and 1 year for nearly $60 million would be nearly double the largest one year player contract in NFL history.“

• Upvote 1

The cap hit is the same overall amount whether it's 1 or 2 years so this supposed benefit is over hyped. 

In fact since they haven't been players in FA it would behoove them to take the full hit this year, find out if Love the real deal, then have plenty to spend next year. 

The June 1st date is a non factor. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 3

"I would never, ever in my life, get off the plane for you, specifically you. Maybe for everyone else, I would get off the plane."

Beckham Jr. then added: "You gonna wait 40 minutes, and I'm going to be on a private plane home, with your fat a**. Get your a** off the plane.

"Enjoy the cheese-board on the way home with your ugly a**."

Free cheeseboards for everyone!

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

The cap hit is the same overall amount whether it's 1 or 2 years so this supposed benefit is over hyped. 

In fact since they haven't been players in FA it would behoove them to take the full hit this year, find out if Love the real deal, then have plenty to spend next year. 

The June 1st date is a non factor. 

Loop Trump GIF

“There are some benefits to waiting if you are Green Bay and I’ve discussed those in the past. From a salary cap standpoint the Packers can split his dead money up as $15,833,770 this year and $24,480,000 in 2024. So rather than losing salary cap space they would actually gain some room “

• Upvote 1