Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

58 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Disagree with your disagree. The Jets DONT have to make the deal, the Packers HAVE to, to avoid cap hell for the next 2-3 years.

If the Packers are playing hardball and looking for a a 1st and 2nd or poss 2 1sts the Jets can say **** it, we're not doing that. They always have the option to trade up for a young QB in this draft for that price and reset the QB clock (again). And then they bring in a bridge QB and let him, the rookie and ZW battle it out. They have a ton of talent on offense too to support said QB. 

I see many theories as to why the jets do not have to have Rodgers at this point in time.  All of them wishful thinking and not plausible.  Trading up for a QB 2 years after using #2 pick on a QB is not happening.

The Jets had a lot of alternatives at the start of this whole process, all of the viable, logical ones went by the way side as they waited for Rodgers and the packers.

Any suggestions like you just made are all total bluffs, just like if the jets suddenly went out to dinner with lamar jackson a bluff and the packers know it.  That's why they are being a pain in the ass, because they can be.

The Packers will bite their lip and settle for less than they want.  Douglas will bite his lip and pay more than he wants. 

• Upvote 1

I simply disagree with this, the Jets must make a deal.  
The Jets at the end of last year said to the world they were going to upgrade with a vet QB and everyone and their dog says the Jets are contenders with a good to great vet QB.
They allow time to pass and then after talking to Rodgers they decide he is the guy.
Rodgers, tells the world he is going to be a Jet something he simply is not going to do and look stupid unless the Jets have told him we are getting you.
The Jets first off season Fa priority is Allen Lazard all of a sudden.
All other even semi viable QB options are gone or simply seem out of the realm of happening (Lamar)
There is no way the Jets can go into next year with Zac Wilson and a guy like Bridgewater, it would be looked at as a monumental fail.
There is a bad thing for the Jets as well if things drag out too long.  You want your QB to be doing off season work and being ready day one.
I don't think the jets ever thought they would be forced to wait for this to happen.
In any case it will get done both sides have to get it done.  It would be a real surprise if it went past the draft.

You really don't think the Jets thought they would be in a negotiation with the Packers? You think the Jets thought they could offer GB a first offer and GB would say sure? You think that this all a big surprise to Jets management? Come on. These guys are paid professionals and not wannabe GM's behind a keyboard.

3 hours ago, ptisme said:

One thing you guys haven’t considered.   We all know the problems GB had last year and I will quickly list them and add a major one you haven’t considered at the end:

1 broken thumb.   Try throwing a football in the cold and wind with a broken thumb on ur throwing hand 

2 the offensive line was a sieve until they got back Bak and Jenkins    Lots of driving killing penalties 

3. the rookie receivers missed major time due to injury.   Massive wrong routes, drops(highest in the league), and penalties

4. The defense couldn’t get off the field.   It was literally one 8 min drive after the next limiting possessions 

but here’s the one you aren’t bringing up:

the Packers missed Hacketts game planning and RedZone design.    The offense last year was so predictable and vanilla.   Hackett was the red zone coordinator and without him we consistently stalled.   I was really hoping he’d come back to GB when it was over in Denver.  

Is anyone else worried about the fact that Hackett did not do any playcalling in GB?  His opportunity to do so in Denver was a disaster.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets at the end of last year said to the world they were going to upgrade with a vet QB and everyone and their dog says the Jets are contenders with a good to great vet QB.

They allow time to pass and then after talking to Rodgers they decide he is the guy.

Rodgers, tells the world he is going to be a Jet something he simply is not going to do and look stupid unless the Jets have told him we are getting you.

All other even semi viable QB options are gone or simply seem out of the realm of happening (Lamar)

There is no way the Jets can go into next year with Zac Wilson and a guy like Bridgewater, it would be looked at as a monumental fail.

There is a bad thing for the Jets as well if things drag out too long.  You want your QB to be doing off season work and being ready day one.

I don't think the jets ever thought they would be forced to wait for this to happen.

In any case it will get done both sides have to get it done.  It would be a real surprise if it went past the draft.

You're wrong. The longer it drags out is worse for the Packers. The deal will be done before the draft.

The Jets will obtain Rodgers, but they need to keep doing exactly what they are doing.

And if you read hard enough there is plenty of intel out there that suggests this probably happens within the next week, and it may not be the draft compensation holding it up, but instead the financial parameters.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, bicketybam said:
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You really don't think the Jets thought they would be in a negotiation with the Packers? You think the Jets thought they could offer GB a first offer and GB would say sure? You think that this all a big surprise to Jets management? Come on. These guys are paid professionals and not wannabe GM's behind a keyboard.

The jets and Rodgers made the cardinal sin of a deal.  Essentially committing to a deal before knowing the price.  The jets let all other QBs go elsewhere, rodgers goes on macafee and declares he is playing and playing for the jets.  Then they start talking price. 

If price was a legit concern then the jets force negs before they are left without a dance partner and move on if the price is not reasonable.

5 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

You're wrong. The longer it drags out is worse for the Packers. The deal will be done before the draft.

The Jets will obtain Rodgers, but they need to keep doing exactly what they are doing.

And if you read hard enough there is plenty of intel out there that suggests this probably happens within the next week, and it may not be the draft compensation holding it up, but instead the financial parameters.

No one knows what is holding it up we are hearing everything.  Yes the deal will get done and before the draft that I agree with but it is not like the jets are rubbing their hands with glee because we are going to get a great deal as time goes on.

54 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I see many theories as to why the jets do not have to have Rodgers at this point in time.  All of them wishful thinking and not plausible.  Trading up for a QB 2 years after using #2 pick on a QB is not happening.

The Jets had a lot of alternatives at the start of this whole process, all of the viable, logical ones went by the way side as they waited for Rodgers and the packers.

Any suggestions like you just made are all total bluffs, just like if the jets suddenly went out to dinner with lamar jackson a bluff and the packers know it.  That's why they are being a pain in the ass, because they can be.

The Packers will bite their lip and settle for less than they want.  Douglas will bite his lip and pay more than he wants. 

Lol none of them are wishful thinking and most are viable options. 

To sit here and say trading up to #2 or 3 is not an option because we just drafted a qb at 2 and it didn't/hasn't worked out is not an argument. That's like not talking to a woman again because the last time you did it didn't work. 

Trading 2 1st for Lamar Jackson is a viable option too. I don't want him but if the option is trade a 1st and 2nd for Rodgers for 1-2 years - no thanks, I'll take Lamar. 

At the end of the day, the Jets can say kick rocks we're going in a different direction. Just because you don't LIKE the options, doesn't mean they're not viable

• Upvote 1

The jets and Rodgers made the cardinal sin of a deal.  Essentially committing to a deal before knowing the price.  The jets let all other QBs go elsewhere, rodgers goes on macafee and declares he is playing and playing for the jets.  Then they start talking price. 
If price was a legit concern then the jets force negs before they are left without a dance partner and move on if the price is not reasonable.

I just cannot bring myself to believe that line of horse sh*t. Douglas knew GB's asking price of 2 firsts and he knew he wasn't going to have to pay it. He didn't need a fallback option to bluff GB with. GB wants no part of Rodgers. Everyone knows that. Douglas isn't caving. This has been his strategy all along and you will see when it works.
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Lol none of them are wishful thinking and most are viable options. 

To sit here and say trading up to #2 or 3 is not an option because we just drafted a qb at 2 and it didn't/hasn't worked out is not an argument. That's like not talking to a woman again because the last time you did it didn't work. 

Trading 2 1st for Lamar Jackson is a viable option too. I don't want him but if the option is trade a 1st and 2nd for Rodgers for 1-2 years - no thanks, I'll take Lamar. 

At the end of the day, the Jets can say kick rocks we're going in a different direction. Just because you don't LIKE the options, doesn't mean they're not viable

You are not trading two first for lamar you are  offering two firsts and then giving him a record long term contract.  There has not even been one whisper that the jets are showing any interest in him.

Trading up for a QB in this draft with wilson sitting there after tow years is totally unrealistic.  100% would never ever happen.

As I said, people seem to be inventing viable scenarios when there are none, we are going to trade for anthony richardson, we are going to sign lamar.  Just fantasy.

The Jets can tell GReen Bay to kick rocks but:

- They will have 100% spectacularly and utterly failed to do what they set out to do this off season.

- They will be sitting there with no viable QB and the firing watch will commence.

- They will get destroyed for telling Rodgers they are dealing for him and then not doing so.

The Jets will end up with Rodgers, both sides have to make the deal, its a bit more painful process due t how the jets and rodgesr handled it but it will get done.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No one knows what is holding it up we are hearing everything.  Yes the deal will get done and before the draft that I agree with but it is not like the jets are rubbing their hands with glee because we are going to get a great deal as time goes on.

No one knows, but yet you seem to think the Jets committed to the deal before knowing the price. So then how do you know that? How do you know where the Jets are in all of this?

49 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You are not trading two first for lamar you are  offering two firsts and then giving him a record long term contract.  There has not even been one whisper that the jets are showing any interest in him.

Trading up for a QB in this draft with wilson sitting there after tow years is totally unrealistic.  100% would never ever happen.

As I said, people seem to be inventing viable scenarios when there are none, we are going to trade for anthony richardson, we are going to sign lamar.  Just fantasy.

The Jets can tell GReen Bay to kick rocks but:

- They will have 100% spectacularly and utterly failed to do what they set out to do this off season.

- They will be sitting there with no viable QB and the firing watch will commence.

- They will get destroyed for telling Rodgers they are dealing for him and then not doing so.

The Jets will end up with Rodgers, both sides have to make the deal, its a bit more painful process due t how the jets and rodgesr handled it but it will get done.

You are just completely wrong on this. We have options, Packers do not. They need Rodgers off the team. The only fantasy here is your idea that we can't draft a QB this year if we don't get Rodgers. 

Also the bolded part, the Arizona Cardinals and Kyler Murray say Hello. It's happened in the NFL before and it's a completely viable option. 

I feel like you just looked at the options, hated them and then started preaching your opinion as fact about how the Jets have no options. 

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

You’re talking about “soft” pressure.  The Packers have a hard contract they are on the hook for right now which they absolutely will not pay this year. 

It is equally bad for them to have AR in camp this year as it is for the Jets to not have him. What a circus they would have after all that’s been said and done if he’s at TC. It’d be a nuclear bomb to their org. Also, if he gets hurt as a Packer they are beyond screwed. The Raiders were so scared of that. They sat Carr for two games because the repercussions would be devastating.  

The Packers organization absolutely HAS to get AR off the books and the NYJ are the ONLY option. The longer this goes on the more heat the Packers will face.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bicketybam said:

I just cannot bring myself to believe that line of horse sh*t. Douglas knew GB's asking price of 2 firsts and he knew he wasn't going to have to pay it. He didn't need a fallback option to bluff GB with. GB wants no part of Rodgers. Everyone knows that. Douglas isn't caving. This has been his strategy all along and you will see when it works.

Getting Rodgers will not work if working is going to the SB.   If working is fleecing Green Bay for a QB they don't want and can’t afford let’s give JD a pat on his head, ask him to sit and give him a treat.

• WTF? 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Their GM made the announcement way before Rodgers shared his intentions.  At that point, the other team they had in mind doesnt matter.  The intention was made clear and public before he left the darkness.  Rodgers naming the team doesnt change anything, the price didnt change because Rodgers confirmed what his GM said and simply made public his preferred destination.  There was no sin from the Jets, at all.  They havent said a word.  They're doing exactly what they should be doing. 

9 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Probably 

But if push comes to shove, what do you, cave and give up #13?

Roll with the worst QB in the NFL, ZW?

Yes, if necessary I'd give up 13 for Rodgers. I have no problem with the waiting game as it stands. If the Packers want to get the highest pick they can they need it by this year's draft. If we have Roger's next year we're going to have a low draft pick

8 minutes ago, freestater said:

Yes, if necessary I'd give up 13 for Rodgers. I have no problem with the waiting game as it stands. If the Packers want to get the highest pick they can they need it by this year's draft. If we have Roger's next year we're going to have a low draft pick

No way man. I’m not giving up 13. What happens if Rodgers plays only one year? The Jets will look like fools.

The Jets want to keep their #13 pick this year.  Done.  The Packers want a 1st round pick.  Done.

This is the deal I would broker, if I were the mediator.

First off, the Jets keep all of their picks this year.  The agreement would be binding between the 2 sides, and officially it happens on June 2nd, which benefits the Packers with their cap.

The Jets give a conditional 2nd round pick in 2024, with it becoming a 1st round pick if the Jets make the playoffs, and as long as Rodgers plays at least 50% of the snaps.

What does this accomplish?  First off, the Jets can build their team around Rodgers this year, thus giving the Jets a better shot of making the playoffs.  Second, if the Jets do make the playoffs, then the 1st round pick would be no better than #17 in the draft, and perhaps lower based upon how well the Jets do.  The Packers would have a very reasonable shot at getting the 1st round pick that they want, unless everything blows up on the Jets, and I believe this is fair for the Packers, in that the worst they would do is a 2nd round pick next year, and it would be a high one, since the Jets would have not made the playoffs.

I would give the Packers a conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 as well.  If the Jets don't make the playoffs this year, then the 2nd round pick in 2025 remains a 2nd round pick.  So, the worst Green Bay can do is a 2nd round pick in 2024, and a 2nd round pick in 2025.  Not too shabby for a team that traded away a 40 year old QB, and that QB not getting the receiving team into the playoffs.

If the Jets do make the playoffs, the as we already know, the 2024 pick is the 1st round pick for the Packers, but then that conditional 2nd round pick in 2025 becomes a 3rd round pick.  So, the best Green Bay can do is a 1st round pick in 2024, and a 3rd round pick in 2025.  The worst is 2 2nd round picks.

Now, I'm sure that most of my fellow Jets fans want to rub dirt in the Packers faces, and not give them this deal, but as the mediator, I feel that this is fair, and I would lobby hard for this deal, which is a fair one.

• Upvote 7
  • Thumb Down 4
  • WTF? 1
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, bicketybam said:

Both you and beerfish are making up crap. Neither of you know anything. For all we know, the draft comp is set, these rumors are bogus, and they're haggling over money. The contract is horrible. How much of it we take on could be a major sticking point. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

That is way too much draft capital to give away. 

No first round picks (a swap this year if you absolutely must). Draft compensation should be a conditional 2024 fourth that can become a third if the team makes the playoffs and becomes a second if the team makes the SB. 

Otherwise just roll with whoever is left available and don’t do this nonsense again with a 40 yr old qb who doesn’t really want to play football anymore. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, ChewyandtheJets said:

Be pretty painful to be on the hook for something like $50+ million in dead cap money and also a second round pick in the year 2025 when Rodgers almost surely won’t be playing. 

There are 2 ways to look at this deal.  On the positive, the Jets would have a real shot of not only getting to the playoffs, but doing some real damage in the playoffs.  If Rodgers comes back in 2024, you got a great shot for 2 years in a row.  I think you have to go into this deal getting one of the greatest QB's in history.  Is it benefit worth the risk?  In my opinion, it is!!!

On the negative side, is your take.  Sure, it could happen, and the Jets might live to regret the deal.  But then again, the Jets and all of us fans might have no problem with the deal if the jets finally have a real shot at the playoffs and beyond after 54 years of purgatory.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Has nothing to do with rubbing anything in anyone's face.

They should not pay a 1st because here is no need to get up that high, particularly after the draft is over and GB is faced with the alternative of paying him $60MM.

A conditional 1, in such a circumstance, should be based on a SB and not merely a playoff appearance. They could argably reach 1 & done WC levels by signing 2 meh veterans who'd get crushed in the WC game. They're after Rodgers to do better than that, so the Jets shouldn't fork over a 1st for what'd be a failure.

He gets them to a SB sure, upgrade to a 1. He wins it the can have the '24 1st and a '25 1st and 20 years of naming rights to change it to "Jets Suck Dogdicks Stadium" faik.

Look, I would love nothing more than for the Jets to make the deal that you suggest.  I consider a fair deal where both sides are not happy with the result.  I think that my deal accomplishes that!  The Packers could conceivably walk away with getting "no" 1st round draft pick.  That alone would not make the Packers happy.  The Jets on the other hand, could be giving up a 1st round pick next year for only getting to the playoffs, which the Jets have done in over a decade, mind you.  

How about if the Packers don't trade Rodgers to the Jets, and decide to start Rodgers this year as their #1 QB?  Then would you be happy that the Jets have no starting QB, no shot at even getting to the playoffs, a really pissed-off fan base, and a pissed off roster of players who were ready to be "all in" on the Rodgers trade?

No, I think I will stick with my deal!!  It is a fair one, and I would fight for it!