Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

RJF said all this already, but a.) I really don't get this impulse that I'm not allowed to criticize the current plan unless I can come up with a better one, especially since b1.) there is no good plan when you draft an unplayable QB with the second overall pick and when b2.) you have an owner who doesn't believe in playoff mandates but has very clearly given this group a playoff mandate. But just for fun (and even though I've explained this several times already), in a perfect world--i.e., a world in which the owner either fired the current group or gave them enough job security to build the team--I probably just would have signed Carr. I would also be in favor of signing Jacoby Brissett and drafting somebody this year; I don't particularly like anyone from this crop, but I've been very very very wrong on that sort of thing many times before, so I won't go to war on it.

As I've also said multiple times, this argument essentially boils down to 90% of the board agreeing with you that Rodgers "instantly gives us top 5 SB odds" and me being part of the other 10%.

Suck for Trevor Lawrence when you're able to, that's the solution.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But you and your 10 % idea is basically doing the same things the team has always done:   Drafting a QB + signing Jacoby Brissett who is basically the same as Josh McCown.  

I do agree with you that the f**k-up all begain with drafting Wilson in the 1st place.  Can't do much about that now.  I hate your plan for what the Jets should be doing right now and you should too.  No one should want Joe Douglas to be drafting a QB high this year.  No one.

And I also don't get those who wanted Carr while firmly opposing acquiring Aaron Rodgers.  Is it because a 2nd round pick is involved?  Because if it comes down to personality, Carr is the exact wrong kind of a QB to bring in here.  Overly sensitive Californians should intrigue exactly no one on this board.

The English language does not have adjectives strong enough to describe how little interest I have in relitigating this. You guys won. We're getting Aaron Rodgers. Just enjoy it.

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

JD is selling out for two things:

1. A shot to save his and Saleh's job by making the playoffs in 2023 and winning a playoff game.

2. Time.  Time to rehabilitate Zach Wilson, because they (or at least JD) still thinks he is the right guy.

That is what the pivot to doing it "not the right way" this offseason has all been about.

Have 1-2 years of possible run, job-saving run at that, and buy time to get Zachy Poo right and ready.

Remove the whole " Job Saving" shade, we are in agreement! It took 353+ pages, but we got there!

• Haha 2

The only thing giving the Packers any leverage right now is Woody Johnson's desperation.

If you look at the facts, the Jets' offer should be lower than what they sent to GB for Favre.

Favre

-- Was only making 10M a year

-- 40 years old, but had been an NFL ironman to that point

-- Other teams were interested.  Bucs had offer on the table.  Favre chose the Jets.

Trade cost:  Conditional 4th based on playing time and team performance

Rodgers

-- Set for 60M cash payout; contract will impact Jets' cap over several years

-- 40 years old, and less durable historically than Favre

-- Rodgers has publicly stated he wants to play for the Jets.  Packers have publicly stated they want to accommodate him.

-- With Rodgers still under contract, he can show up to the facility at any time.  If he injures himself there, injury guarantees kick in and the Packers are screwed.

-- There are exactly zero remaining suitors, even if Rodgers were open to that.  No other team is willing to be on the hook for 100+ M in additional guarantees for 1 year of football, much less send premium draft capital to GB in order to inherit said albatross contract.

Trade cost:  mid-2nd this year, and 2nd rounder next year that can realistically convert to a 1st rounder?

How does this make sense?

The Jets have options.  Fans may not like them, but they are options.

The Packers have exactly one option:  trade him to the Jets. 

The only other thing they could do is try to wait him out and hope he retires.  That ain't happening though.

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

JD is selling out for two things:

1. A shot to save his and Saleh's job by making the playoffs in 2023 and winning a playoff game.

2. Time.  Time to rehabilitate Zach Wilson, because they (or at least JD) still thinks he is the right guy.

That is what the pivot to doing it "not the right way" this offseason has all been about.

Have 1-2 years of possible run, job-saving run at that, and buy time to get Zachy Poo right and ready.

I’m not 100% convinced that they’re not just hoping to rehabilitate some trade value of Zach, but otherwise I agree here entirely. No one’s on the hot seat yet but another losing season certainly heats them up, while a playoff season buys them some time. People can make their case against Rodgers, or for another QB, but I understand the Jets thinking here that out of all the QBs available, Rodgers gives them the best chance to win now. Better than the still gadgety Lamar, career loser Carr, perpetually injured Garoppolo, or the various flavors of the week from Minshew to Mayfield. 

Is it risky? Is it expensive? Big yes to both, but -to me- it’s the best option on the table. The fact that it’s only a one or two year commitment is actually preferable to me than a five year commitment to the other big names. 

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The English language does not have adjectives strong enough to describe how little interest I have in relitigating this. You guys won. We're getting Aaron Rodgers. Just enjoy it.

No you're not getting off the hook that easy sir.  Still curious why you think Jacoby Brissett + draft pick would be the best plan going forward because I don't recall you really explaining your position on that.  

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Favre

-- 40 years old, but had been an NFL ironman to that point

Rodgers

-- 40 years old, and less durable historically than Favre

Favre was the starter in GB for 16 years, and missed 3 starts (.988 availabillity).  

Rodgers was the starter in GB for 15 years, and missed 18 starts (.925 availability).

In the five full years before being traded, neither played missed a single start.

Not sure this is a meaningful difference tbqh.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not 100% convinced that they’re not just hoping to rehabilitate some trade value of Zach, but otherwise I agree here entirely. No one’s on the hot seat yet but another losing season certainly heats them up, while a playoff season buys them some time. People can make their case against Rodgers, or for another QB, but I understand the Jets thinking here that out of all the QBs available, Rodgers gives them the best chance to win now. Better than the still gadgety Lamar, career loser Carr, perpetually injured Garoppolo, or the various flavors of the week from Minshew to Mayfield. 

Is it risky? Is it expensive? Big yes to both, but -to me- it’s the best option on the table. The fact that it’s only a one or two year commitment is actually preferable to me than a five year commitment to the other big names. 

Agreed.  

3 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Tannenbaum is 100% right

If he were still the Jets GM, this would be done already

Or even better, Lamar might be a NY Jet

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35979128

This is dragging our way too long. No one will argue that on either side. We just have no clue with a reliable source what’s holding it all up. Both sides staying pretty tight lipped. 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No you're not getting off the hook that easy sir.  Still curious why you think Jacoby Brissett + draft pick would be a "win" because I don't recall you really explaining your position on that.  

The situation is a mess because the draft is the highest expected value route the large majority of the time, but we also have no reason to trust that the current general manager is the right person to draft a quarterback.

Honestly, while we all argue about the veteran quarterback options, the plan underlying the veteran quarterback that we can’t see is potentially more important than the veteran quarterback choice. Even if he’s giving up capital for Rodgers and going all in, say he’s able to drop down in the first and pick up a 2024 first round selection from some team in the process this year. That’s better long term team building than Carr even though there’s no sacrifice of short-term upside. 

That said, fun as this season could be, if the proposed trade takes place it strikes me as likely that Douglas won’t worry enough about the long term and it will blow up in the Jets’ face. But it’ll be an exciting ride.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ptisme said:

In other words if Rodgers would have STFU and let the two sides negotiate this deal was done...  Maybe he can go on PM today and throw another wrench in the cog.

Ummm it's beneficial to us though. Douglas is trying to get protection in the case that he retires after only 1 year

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, Tanny would’ve gotten it done because he would’ve rushed to the table ready to outbid his shadow. Patience is a virtue. I’ll be very surprised if it’s not done by the draft, and there’s no real reason it needs to be done before that. 

fwiw Tanny got Favre for a better price than what is being reported this deal is looking like ...

26 minutes ago, slats said:

No one’s on the hot seat yet but another losing season certainly heats them up, 

If they complete the trade for Rodgers and it very much looks like they will, a losing season guarantees that JD and RS will get run out of town on a rail. 

There is no way the fan base will sit still for failure in this case 

The Rodgers deal is everything for this regime on one roll of the dice.  

If things go badly, it will make the "Joe Must Go" season look like one of their best. 

It will get ugly.  REALLY ugly.

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

fwiw Tanny got Favre for a better price than what is being reported this deal is looking like ...

Again Favre showed up on the first day of camp unretired.   Packers were desperate to move him yesterday.   

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, Tanny would’ve gotten it done because he would’ve rushed to the table ready to outbid his shadow. Patience is a virtue. I’ll be very surprised if it’s not done by the draft, and there’s no real reason it needs to be done before that. 

Tanny overbids, he’s not a negotiator.  

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

It’s a different time. You could buy a house in Texas that was brand new at that time for 200k. Now that house is 500k. Times changed. We were never getting AR for a 4th 

• WTF? 1

Just now, Bobby816 said:

It’s a different time. You could buy a house in Texas that was brand new at that time for 200k. Now that house is 500k. Times changed. We were never getting AR for a 4th 

as if the federal reserve massively increasing the money supply has anything to do with the NFL trade market for 40 year old QBs who publicly ponder retirement every offseason. jfc

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Alka said:

I guess I'm an amazing negotiator after all!  My thread with what I would mediate as a broker between Green Bay and the Jets included at  worst 2 2-nd round draft picks, one for 2024 and one for 2025, and one of those 2nd round draft picks would escalate to a 1st round pick if the playoffs were involved.  I also stated that if the one draft pick was a 1st rounder, than the next years 2nd rounder would drop to the 3rd round.

Pretty much what is being discussed right now,  with minor differences, although I'm sure the escalation price is more than just making the playoffs.

I'm not necessarily just responding to you Slats, but to everyone who responded to my thread before it got merged.  Thank you.

Yup and this was predicted by 10 others on this site and in the media, weeks ago. But give yourself a high five ? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what is our cap hit if he retires after a year?  seems like it's high risk high reward

think the dead cap is about $25-30 million in 2024 and 2025 if he retires after only one year.  It's actually a little higher for 2025 and 2026 if he plays on his current deal without reworking it.  Figuring out how to lessen his dead cap would be great upside to this deal.  Right now, the Jets have leverage because they are taking on an albatross of a contract for a guy who may only play one year.  If they find a way to reduce the burden of those cap hits once the trade is consummated, it makes the deal even sweeter.

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Lets just get this trade done before we start Round 2 of the JN mock.  As the mock GM for the Packers, I would like to have that extra 2 in hand for this draft.  Will probably need to go down by Friday.

And I will choose to root for a “slow-walk” approach to this trade ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

as if the federal reserve massively increasing the money supply has anything to do with the NFL trade market for 40 year old QBs who publicly ponder retirement every offseason. jfc

Obviously not. But what trade went down 10 years ago doesn’t matter today is my point. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Tannenbaum is 100% right

If he were still the Jets GM, this would be done already

Or even better, Lamar might be a NY Jet

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=35979128

Tanny has been on espn NY radio Anita marks show saying the jets need to send 1st rd round picks and jets have no leverage. If he was in charge, this would have been a decade long catastrophe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Obviously not. But what trade went down 10 years ago doesn’t matter today is my point. 

It is actually very relevant when you're directly comparing the GMs and almost exact trade scenario. Much more relevant that the damn money supply and inflation. like, wtf dude.

if you want to point out other 40 year old about to retire every offseason QB trades that have gone down since then please share. otherwise, that's the comp. I don't think you could find a better comp to work from.