Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

6 hours ago, varjet said:

If Rodgers does not work out the Jets are looking at Wentz, who along with Wilson will wing it.

Either that or tank 2023 and pick a QB in 2024.

I think the latter is smarter. 

You must be young. I can’t keep getting behind this “next year” stuff. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

I don't think they care about the fan reactions as much, because the pitchforks were out when Love got picked, or when they didn't pick offensive players for Rodgers.  

Again, just my feeling, could be way wrong lol. 

I feel like when they picked Love half the fan base was like WTH!   The other half remembered when they similarly picked Rodgers and wanted to wait and see.   I fell into the later.

8 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am like you and they, Green Bay, may not realize it but this is impacting their national brand.  It is…

They are literally holding a player hostage whom they don’t want anymore.  Compare this to how JD recently handled Moore and his move to the Browns and it is like night and day IMO..

You call it holding him hostage.   The fanbase calls it: Getting fair value..

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Thought he made that clear when he said he wanted to play for the Jets

I expect that when Rodgers shows up for team activities on April 17 that this will get done.  

I can't see the Packers risking $100 plus million on a freak injury to Rodgers. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ptisme said:

What leverage do you feel the Packers have?

I full anticipate a pick swap this year with conditional picks for both teams in future years.

What is fair value to take on a $100 million contract?  What is fair value to get out from under $100 million contract for one of the best players to ever play the position in the twilight of his career?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, hawk said:

What leverage do you feel the Packers have?

I full anticipate a pick swap this year with conditional picks for both teams in future years.

What is fair value to take on a $100 million contract?  What is fair value to get out from under $100 million contract for one of the best players to ever play the position in the twilight of his career?

They really don’t need to trade him until September. The drop dead date for the jets to get him here to prepare for the season begins June 17.  Every day after June 17 the pressure ratchets up for JD. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

45 minutes ago, ptisme said:

Good luck with that.  GB is running up on a deadline (the draft) to get that "fair value", and it is going to be whatever Joe Douglas says it is.  Or you can get nothing.  Or Rodgers can retire and f**k your cap over.  Have fun.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

They really don’t need to trade him until September. The drop dead date for the jets to get him here to prepare for the season begins June 17.  Every day after June 17 the pressure ratchets up for JD. 

Presume Douglas would rather trade him post draft. Add players this year and easier to set up two years of conditional picks that surround him playing if it's 2024-2025 than 2023-2024 with a possible return in 2025 if he doesn't play.

Packers probably would rather picks now to support Love. Makes a little sense to just have a cheap offer on the table pre-draft and see if Green Bay bites. They're probably thinking long-term though and okay taking more later.

Jets probably have the leverage now, Green Bay probably does in early June, Jets' leverage increases gradually past training camp starting if they show they're willing to wait. It'll be interesting.

Optically something like a 2024 second that can be a first if the Jets are in the Super Bowl and a 2025 third that's a second if Rodgers plays and a first if the Jets are in the Super Bowl might not be bad for both teams. Not sure. The conditions are probably too strict honestly, but I struggle giving up a first if they're not making a Super Bowl because that's the whole point of acquiring him.

Do think the optics of getting a higher pick in 2025 if he plays versus giving something back in 2025 if he doesn't are better for Green Bay. Easier deal to do that way than if it's with 2023 picks in some ways.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Good luck with that.  GB is running up on a deadline (the draft) to get that "fair value", and it is going to be whatever Joe Douglas says it is.  Or you can get nothing.  Or Rodgers can retire and f**k your cap over.  Have fun.  

After the draft it simply pivots to a player this year and a pick next year. The draft really isn’t a significant deadline 

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Rodgers pulling up to 1JD for OTA's. He and the WR group running plays in the parking lot while Gutenkunst and Murphy try to pressure JD to give up a 1st in '24.

Camping Road Trip GIF by RV LIFE Pro

13 minutes ago, derp said:

Presume Douglas would rather trade him post draft. Add players this year and easier to set up two years of conditional picks that surround him playing if it's 2024-2025 than 2023-2024 with a possible return in 2025 if he doesn't play.

Packers probably would rather picks now to support Love. Makes a little sense to just have a cheap offer on the table pre-draft and see if Green Bay bites. They're probably thinking long-term though and okay taking more later.

Jets probably have the leverage now, Green Bay probably does in early June, Jets' leverage increases gradually past training camp starting if they show they're willing to wait. It'll be interesting.

Optically something like a 2024 second that can be a first if the Jets are in the Super Bowl and a 2025 third that's a second if Rodgers plays and a first if the Jets are in the Super Bowl might not be bad for both teams. Not sure. The conditions are probably too strict honestly, but I struggle giving up a first if they're not making a Super Bowl because that's the whole point of acquiring him.

Do think the optics of getting a higher pick in 2025 if he plays versus giving something back in 2025 if he doesn't are better for Green Bay. Easier deal to do that way than if it's with 2023 picks in some ways.

Agree with almost all of this except the leverage post June 2, which is really post draft. Whatever player the jets include will be able to get up to speed faster than a QB.  The leverage to me is clearly the packers. They are likely expecting Woody to eventually step in and force JDs hand. 

if training camp opens and Rodgers isn’t here the negative press would be too much for woody. He’d cave for sure. 

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Rodgers pulling up to 1JD for OTA's. He and the WR group running plays in the parking lot while Gutenkunst and Murphy try to pressure JD to give up a 1st in '24.

Camping Road Trip GIF by RV LIFE Pro

Oh now I get it.  I’m so sorry 

10 hours ago, ptisme said:

I'm leaning more toward the possibility this suggests that the two sides have agreed to a points system and they will iron it out on day one of the draft:

https://zonecoverage.com/2023/packers/two-realistic-aaron-rodgers-draft-day-trades/

it's possible they will iron out the details on draft day.  but there's no way i can see joe agreeing to a "value" equivalent to a 1st round pick (the author picked 950 points or pick #17 as the value).  the jets are not paying that for rodgers

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, ptisme said:

He's the guy who still thinks he can win an MVP...  He's committed to playing this year IMO...  But if he does retire, we don't owe him the bonus so...

I ma thinking it is now 50/50 this falls off entirely. Think the GB "owner" got involved and is digging and I heard someone say that Woody does not want him at all costs. 

I keep going back to this: the compensation should be no more than the Favre trade and actually sgificantly less because of the contract. What GB seems to want in the situation they are in is ludicrous. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

Agree with almost all of this except the leverage post June 2, which is really post draft. Whatever player the jets include will be able to get up to speed faster than a QB.  The leverage to me is clearly the packers. They are likely expecting Woody to eventually step in and force JDs hand. 

if training camp opens and Rodgers isn’t here the negative press would be too much for woody. He’d cave for sure. 

So I had early June Green Bay has the leverage.

I agree expectation would be the Jets cave shortly after camp. Maybe the Packers hold onto the leverage for a bit. But if the Jets don’t cave - proceed business as usual through that early pressure - and Rodgers shows up at Packers camp…they don’t want him to get hurt. If things progress from there the Packers - who need to move him - have less and less leverage. That’s what I was getting at.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Larz said:

What about the negative press that GB would endure if Rodgers shows up at their facilities when mandatory activities start (or sooner, for voluntary activities) and they try to tell him that he’s not welcome there?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

Aaron Rodgers: “ I gave you guys 18 years of my life, let me just go now”

packers fans: “. Yeah no, we need a 1st from the Jets or we rather take less from SF or potentially let you sit for 60 m this year”

Jets fans No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem

? Sounds so irrational.

But…. but….  fair value. 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, ptisme said:

You don't think Aug 1 comes around and his owner won't put the screws to him?   Would you bet your mortgage on that?

18 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Sure.  Not saying a trade wont get done but I guarantee it is a second round pick and a conditional pick tops. 

No way this goes until training camp. If you're the Jets, you have to have some sort of deadline before you pivot. And that'll probably be OTAs. 

Also, our owner isn't putting the screws to anyone. You have this whole situation misread. From reports, Woody is the one who threw a wrench in the plan when Rodgers came out with his 90% retired line. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Rodgers retiring would be no different than him being traded regarding the cap.  And he won’t retire and miss out on 60 million.   Go outside and take a walk and think about reality 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I ma thinking it is now 50/50 this falls off entirely. Think the GB "owner" got involved and is digging and I heard someone say that Woody does not want him at all costs. 

I keep going back to this: the compensation should be no more than the Favre trade and actually sgificantly less because of the contract. What GB seems to want in the situation they are in is ludicrous. 

I still expect it to be a pick swap in 2023, whether that be 1st or second or whatever.  Conditional picks for both teams in future years.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ptisme said:

Ummmmm getting fair value is determined by the marketplace.  The Marketplace!

Listen.......

NO OTHER TEAM IS OFFERING EQUAL OR MORE THAN THE JETS!  :)

For example,  you may love your home and have lived in it for 70 years, with your cousin, who needs the proceeds to move somewhere else and think it is worth $2 Million Dollars, but if the best offer you can get is $500K then that is the fair market value of your asset, your home.

The emotional value of the house is not relevant nor is the fact that the person who is offering you the money may use your property to make more money than you can with the asset is again not relevant.

Now if the Jets and Rogers had colluded like you claimed without any support in another post, so that other teams who were willing to give say 3  No 1's were in fat thwarted from doing so, then you would then have a case; but NO ONE IS OFFERING more than the Jets, period.

Hence the Packers and their fan base are i) delusional, ii) being spiteful, and iii) yes, holding Rogers hostage for a mythical haul that only they believe they should get..

• Post of the Week 4

2 hours ago, Larz said:

CDC43EBE-EA3C-4C8F-980F-C1126A3E7501.webp

Every time I see one of your posts, I see the quote you have from Kurt Vonnegot.  I must tell you, that I did work for his wife, and all I can say is:  "Wow!"  And not in a good sense of the word "wow".  Perhaps if we ever meet at a Jets game, I will tell you the story of my interaction with her.  I do not want to write it here for all to see.  

2 hours ago, Larz said:

GB doesn't have to trade him until week 1, that's obvious.  But every day closer to week 1 the trade package they'll get back will get smaller and and smaller bc the Jets, and anyone with a brain, knows the Packers can not afford to have him on the roster week 1. 

So if you're negotiating with GB and you know they can't release him bc of dead money, he won't retire and the only option financially is to trade him and you're the only suitor you would feel like you're doing the Packers a favor in this situation.  I'm not sure how you sell to your fan base that holding onto him that long is smart.  The drama it will cause not in just GB but nationally will be overwhelming. Then after all that you get pennies on the dollar for him bc you're forced to get him off the roster and can only trade him.  Right now Packers fans are in their feelings and on their periods so they can't look at this rationally. But once the trade is completed and they realize how poorly their front office handled this they're going to be out for blood. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Ummmmm getting fair value is determined by the marketplace.  The Marketplace!

Listen.......

NO OTHER TEAM IS OFFERING EQUAL OR MORE THAN THE JETS!  :)

For example,  you may love your home and have lived in it for 70 years, with your cousin, who needs the proceeds to move somewhere else and think it is worth $2 Million Dollars, but if the best offer you can get is $500K then that is the fair market value of your asset, your home.

The emotional value of the house is not relevant nor is the fact that the person who is offering you the money may use your property to make more money than you can with the asset is again not relevant.

Now if the Jets and Rogers had colluded like you claimed without any support in another post, so that other teams who were willing to give say 3  No 1's were in fat thwarted from doing so, then you would then have a case; but NO ONE IS OFFERING more than the Jets, period.

Hence the Packers and their fan base are i) delusional, ii) being spiteful, and iii) yes, holding Rogers hostage for a mythical haul that only they believe they should get..

Exactly!!!

I can say I want 1.1mill for my house and say I'm not budging on that and it's only worth 750k. If my only offer is 750k my value of my house isn't what I say it is at 1.1mill. It's what the highest offer is and what comps are in the area. GB set a ridiculous asking price comparing it to what guys 5 years younger and such got in return. That's there fault. Not ours. And there penalty will likely be the FO jobs bc they'll have to accept our offer that they'll be pissed at and Love wont work out. So they all get fired and they a bottom franchise. Which they're not used to, so they'll riot. 

• Upvote 4