Matt Maiocco: Darnold most talented thrower 49ers have ever had, Frank Gore

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

He has better “arm talent” than Steve young or Joe Montana did but he’s still not a good QB. 

The position is largely mental. 

Sure but look at the teams he was previously a part of.

1st stable team he's ever been on.  I think he'll thrive there.

These are the kind of opinions that would get you fired or shamed out of the business 10 years ago now it just gets attention and makes you money....these guys aren't dumb enough to believe it they just know it gets the plebs riled up and gets them clicks.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

Sure but look at the teams he was previously a part of.

1st stable team he's ever been on.  I think he'll thrive there.

It's not impossible, but I need to see it to believe it. People sad the same thing about Carolina. He makes bad decisions and isn't that accurate. I need to see those things corrected over an extended period of time before I buy in. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Why would him doing well bother you? It's not like he's in the AFC. 

And you blatantly & willfully edit out the part where I said I don't GAF if he does do well, not that it bothers me (which is something you made up out of thin air & attributed to me):

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Me? I don't GAF if he'll overcome his past failures in SF any more than I GAF about Geno Smith doing the same in Seattle. He was an awful bust of a draft pick here, deserved to get replaced, and the high 2nd rounder (plus wasn't there also a 4th?) was worth more to the Jets than 1 more season of Darnold. 

He's a 49er now. He can EAD.

So, this is your agenda to promote a failed Jets QB, not mine.

It sounds like you've been biding your time, hopeful he'd be a huge success in Carolina (even touting blatant misrepresentations about his late-season success despite the lack of a credible running attack, when the opposite is the truth). That didn't happen so now it's off to hopefully dunk on Jets fans if Darnold doesn't also flop with San Fran. I heard this same stuff with Sanchez in Philadelphia (and then Denver before they cut him in preseason, frankly). 

I was merely calling out the sleight of hand being done with his late games in Carolina because the attempt to pump him up to make the Jets look bad is what irks me; not whether or not Darnold does or doesn't become something. 

Let him go. He's not a NYJ anymore and is not some sympathetic Christ figure in a Jets fable. I can say good for him personally if it happens for him, but I'm certainly not rooting for Sam Darnold on his post-Jets teams. Ditto Chad Pennington post-Jets. Ditto Kellen Clemens. Ditto Mark Sanchez. Ditto Geno Smith. Ditto Christian Hackenberg. Ditto Zach Wilson if/when that time comes. While he's here I'm still rooting for Zach to succeed (whether as a starter or just as a backup), because it's in my interest as a Jets fan; but if/when he's playing elsewhere he can EAD like the rest of them.

The Jets QBs are Aaron Rodgers and (to a far lesser extent) Zach Wilson, and I suppose Boyle. The Jets' ex-QBs can EAD on their new teams for all I care because I'm not rooting for their new teams with or without them.

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And you blatantly & willfully edit out the part where I said I don't GAF if he does do well, not that it bothers me (which is something you made up out of thin air & attributed to me):

So, this is your agenda to promote a failed Jets QB, not mine.

It sounds like you've been biding your time, hopeful he'd be a huge success in Carolina (even touting blatant misrepresentations about his late-season success despite the lack of a credible running attack, when the opposite is the truth). That didn't happen so now it's off to hopefully dunk on Jets fans if Darnold doesn't also flop with San Fran. I heard this same stuff with Sanchez in Philadelphia (and then Denver before they cut him in preseason, frankly). 

I was merely calling out the sleight of hand being done with his late games in Carolina because the attempt to pump him up to make the Jets look bad is what irks me; not whether or not Darnold does or doesn't become something. 

Let him go. He's not a NYJ anymore and is not some sympathetic Christ figure in a Jets fable. I can say good for him personally if it happens for him, but I'm certainly not rooting for Sam Darnold on his post-Jets teams. Ditto Chad Pennington post-Jets. Ditto Kellen Clemens. Ditto Mark Sanchez. Ditto Geno Smith. Ditto Christian Hackenberg. Ditto Zach Wilson if/when that time comes. While he's here I'm still rooting for Zach to succeed (whether as a starter or just as a backup), because it's in my interest as a Jets fan; but if/when he's playing elsewhere he can EAD like the rest of them.

The Jets QBs are Aaron Rodgers and (to a far lesser extent) Zach Wilson, and I suppose Boyle. The Jets' ex-QBs can EAD on their new teams for all I care because I'm not rooting for their new teams with or without them.

That's a lot of words and assumptions being made by you. "My agenda" and "Let him go"? I already did. I'm not the one saying he can EAD. To me when you say he can EAD it seems if you do GAF. I agree to disagree with you. It's all good. 

12 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

He almost led the Panthers to a division title when he took over for the 3-8 Panthers after Baker Mayfield was kicked to the Carolina curb. With no Christian McCaffrey, he led the Panthers to a 3-1 record over their next 4 games (Broncos W, Seahwaks W,  Steelers L, Lions W) and it took a Brady comeback to stop him from a 4th win in 5 games and winning the NFC South. During that 5 game stretch Sam had a QB Rating of 105.4, threw 7 TD's 1 INT and rushed for 2 TD's.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DarnSa00/gamelog/2022/#51-55-sum:stats

With that stacked 49ers team and Kyle Shanahan drawing up plays for him, we may see another ex-Jets QB win "Comeback" player of the year in 2023. 

And what did Carolina do with him after all that greatness ?

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

And what did Carolina do with him after all that greatness ?

Darnold was a free agent and was smart to bet on himself and sign a 1 year deal in San Fran. I actually said Darnold should go to San Fran and sign a bet on himself deal 2 weeks before it happened.

19 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Sam's always been a good thrower/good arm.

the problem is to whom he throws to, like defenders.

Sam looked like a shot putter in College ..never understood why anyone would want that horrible release in the NFL  Besides that he never struck me as a leader. Just like Zach he played with a terrible fear in the pocket never stepped up into his throws. Sam often threw off his back foot sailing passes all over the field. The only way his arm ever looked good was when he actually stepped into a throw which was rare,

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

Darnold was a free agent and was smart to bet on himself and sign a 1 year deal in San Fran. I actually said Darnold should go to San Fran and sign a bet on himself deal 2 weeks before it happened.

That's fine for him but he's not getting paid much and Carolina certainly did not match the deal. If he was actually a good QB you would think Carolina would have matched after giving up what they did to get him. 

When you thought of him going to San Fran did you also think of Brock Purdy ? Sam wants to make his cash on the bench where he belongs. I'm sure he will make a decent back up to Purdy and if he does have to go in the game the Niner's are fully capable of running a conservative offense by running the ball, throwing short high percentage passes, and moving the chains. 

If Sam Darnold ends up being good after five years of being bust, then moving to the most talented roster in the sport with one of the best offensive minds at the helm, I don't think anyone should really be bitter about this. 

Let the boogie boarder have his "They wrote me off, I didn't write back" moment.

1 hour ago, playtowinthegame said:

That's a lot of words and assumptions being made by you. "My agenda" and "Let him go"? I already did. I'm not the one saying he can EAD. To me when you say he can EAD it seems if you do GAF. I agree to disagree with you. It's all good. 

Clarification: the whole league can EAD except the current Jets players. ;) 

#endrant.

I'm researching how to PM you a virtual reach-around to make up.

• Haha 2

Although I personally think that the turnovers are just part of his DNA at this point, he is so young that if he does clean up that part of his game, he could wind up having a late career improvement like alex smith.  He is a very good athlete and should have been used here on play-action and rollouts which is exactly what Kyle will do with him.

Will be interesting to watch for sure

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

If anyone has a Sam Darnold "agenda" it's @Lupz27 , not me. LMAO

I don’t have an agenda.

I have and still do like the kid as a QB and he got a bad deal everywhere he has been.

Now I’m happy for him he has a real chance to reach his potential finally.

Maybe Y’all are right, we will see.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Darnold Schwarzenegger said:

Well he definitely got a raw deal here in ny. When he went to Carolina they traded away Christian mccafrey and Robbie Anderson. ( Creating Another sh*tty situation) If anyone can get the most out of Sam darnold it’s Kyle Shannahan. I hope it works out for him.

Both of them were on the roster for his first season. Sam's failure (and then Baker's) was the reason why they blew up their roster and started selling off talent in the first place. 

12 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

Both of them were on the roster for his first season. Sam's failure (and then Baker's) was the reason why they blew up their roster and started selling off talent in the first place. 

I’d disagree it was the coaches failure.

They blew up the roster, traded all the talent, fired the coach, inserted Sam as QB1 with none of the talent and him and the new HC made a playoff run in the last 6 games.

16 minutes ago, August said:

Sam is going to look good in San Francisco. Those weapons, that offensive line, with a defense that gives him short fields and playing with a lead constantly he’s going to look more than competent. 

Can you define "good" now rather than see how he does and then ret-con it as "good?

• Thumb Down 1