Dalvin Cook Trade ?

6 hours ago, jetsons said:

I disagree, Izzy will be used much more than you think, he can catch much better than what is being put out there, as for blocking, he'll Rodgers' safety valve... Again, ZERO reason/need to trade for a rb... ps Izzy & Breece Are Very Similar & Had very similar last year stats...

image.png.41d433825532b29db56304a5c4565d8c.png

Wonder why Perine isn’t in this comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Barton said:

Because they aren’t that smart and rarely foresee future issues on the team. 

Or because they realize you can’t just have WR1, WR 1b, WR 1c, WR 1d, WR 1e.  That managing a roster is more than just signing every player who’s name you remember.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Barton said:

Lets keep passing on probowlers like Odell and Dalvin Cook. Explosive players? Nah. 

We have Corey Davis and a bunch of 5th rd pick running backs. 

OBJ hasn’t made the Pro Bowl since 2016 and is coming off a blown knee.  
We need to sign Cook to back up Hall because Hall’s a 22 year old rehabbing a knee and need to sign OBJ with the same knee on an older body to backup Wilson.  

• Upvote 2

This is what game planning is all about. Sure hall may take some time to get his legs back but that’s where Rodgers will reap dividends by making the passing game more feared. Heck, even Flacco threw for 300 yards+ in those early games. This is not to say the jets should come out winging the ball but it’s an aspect defenses will have to respect. So there will be fewer 8 man fronts to run against.  And let’s not forget that both carter and Donovan did well during their rookie seasons. I suspect they will do well this season and give hall some additional time to rest.

12 hours ago, JETS SB said:

We have to think Breece might be slow to start the season and our window with Aaron Rodgers might be just a couple of years.  Why not give Breece that extra time to recover and bring in Dalvin Cook in on trade, a premier RB, dual threat, who only likely has 1 or 2 years left? Not getting paid a ton. 

Likely won’t cost us much and could be the missing piece in this offense that has little behind Breece other than a rookie and Michael Carter. 

If we are truly all in for this year, don’t we need to solidify the RB position with Breece coming off a major injury? 

I agree. If he restructures his contract Jets can get him for a 3rd or 4th pick in 2024. He would propel the Jets run game to a new level.

• Upvote 2

We hope breece comes back the same guy but he may never be the same. It's a real risk with that injury although not as much as it used to be.

RB is a young man's game and Cook may be on the downside but he's still a 1000+ yard back who is a legitimate receiving option. Even if breece is 100% it would be a great 1/2 RB combo. 

I wouldn't trade much more than a 6th for him but if released I'd strongly consider scooping him. 

15 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We hope breece comes back the same guy but he may never be the same. It's a real risk with that injury.

RB is a young man's game and Cook may be on the downside but he's still a 1000+ yard back who is a legitimate receiving option. Even if breece is 100% it would be a great 1/2 RB combo. 

I wouldn't trade much more than a 6th for him but if released I'd strongly consider scooping him. 

Has there been a RB or WR, recently, that has had a ACL tear and not bounced back?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

We hope breece comes back the same guy but he may never be the same. It's a real risk with that injury although not as much as it used to be.

It's funny that you suggest hall may never be the same in the same post that you suggest signing a 28 year old RB who had an ACL tear and multiple shoulder injuries and shoulder surgery a couple of months ago. 

This isn't 1985. The worst case scenario for an standard  acl tear is that he won't be 100pct himself until the end of this year. 

The more extreme acl tears with additional significant damage, like javonte Williams, is trickier but still likely a full recovery at some point. 

27 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Has there been a RB or WR, recently, that has had a ACL tear and not bounced back?

I think the usual comp is Barkley.  Barkley was decidedly meh his first year back.  He only had 2 games over 60 yards and his only 100 yard game was 102 on week 17.  The other was a 64 yarder week 14.  Part of that was probably just the team sucking and he still had 4.6 ypc which is not bad.  He also had an ankle injury and missed some time mid-season.  Then he came out like gangbusters last year. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

What, exactly, is the RB issue? 

Breece isn’t even 22 years old yet. Young people generally recover faster. He was hurt in the 7th game of the year last season, opening day is ten months removed from that date. Nowadays an ACL typically takes about 6-9 months. All reports have Hall on or ahead of schedule, with many of those reports gushing about how well he’s doing. 

I know that Carter and Knight didn’t have stellar numbers last year, but you have to factor in the fact that the OL was decimated and when AVT ended his season in the same game as Hall, the running game was basically over. And with no one behind center, defenses stacked the box against that makeshift line. Weaknesses there are way overblown. In fact, if Becton can remain healthy, the running game should be significantly improved. They added another productive speedster in the draft to an already good RB room. They’re gonna be fine. 

Oh, they also upgraded at QB a little bit. That might affect the play calling and defenses a tad. 

There isn't one.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Just curious, is your plan to keep pissing and moaning about what’s already done? If so, what do you get out of that? 

The discussion was about 300 yard games are a no brainer and even old man Flacco had a couple.

Terrible to point out that our starting QB next year didn't have one all season? 

That wasn't an opinion, it was just a statement of fact.

I like how the weirdo draftnik couldn't understand why we would draft a back into that crowded room and now we have people acting like we need to trade for a back because it is so weak.  I would also like to know what our draft analyst types think about Travis Dye.  @Paradis @win4ever @Beerfish @Chrebetfan80 @section314 @sec101row23 @maury77 @derp @Jets Voice of Reason what say you?  I am sure I missed some, but my memory isn't what it once was.

For me, he seemed like a draftable guy.  Not my type since he didn't have much in the measurable department.  Some of that was being injured for workouts, but he wasn't going to light the world on fire.  RB is probably the main "if you want to, you can" position, so he might still work out.  Strikes me as the kind of guy that might eke out a place and while he is not going to excite you, he isn't going to embarrass you if he has to step in for some reps.  I guess the fumbling is the main fear - which is the main issue with trying when you want to, but maybe can't. 

7 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The discussion was about 300 yard games are a no brainer and even old man Flacco had a couple.

Terrible to point out that our starting QB next year didn't have one all season? 

That wasn't an opinion, it was just a statement of fact.

The discussion is about trading for Dalvin Cook. You cherry picked a quote to beat your drum off topic. 

• Post of the Week 4

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm not saying he can't be good.  Surely he might turn out to be special.

But I can also add to your list - 100's of 4th round RB's that weren't very good at all.  Pointing to a handful of successful doesn't make my point wrong.

Again..

Counting on a 4th round RB to have an impact on an all-in year is a mistake.

Most change of pace/complimentary running backs in the NFL today are drafted in the 4th round or later and contribute immediately.  Some RBs picked in the 4th round and later (or UDFAs) are lead backs.  Go down every NFL roster and take a look at the RBs and when they were drafted.  You and some others who expect a roster full of top draft picks and impact players at every position are in a fantasy world.  Breece Hall is on pace for a full recovery and absent an unexpected set back will be the Jets main RB in 2023.  The Jets don't need Cook with Hall on the roster and Carter/Knight/Abanikanda on the roster.  The Jets and every other NFL team can absolutely expect a 4th round rookie RB to have an impact.  It happens all the time. To not expect it is a mistake and to waste more draft picks and pay top dollar to old declining players like Cook and OBJ is extremely foolish and unrealistic. This isn't Madden.

The only back the Jets should even remotely consider paying for is Derrick Henry, but even that’d be in a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situation wherein Rodgers or Garrett Wilson go down and we need to shift gears on offense. You have to presume the Titans will dump him at some point. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The only back the Jets should even remotely consider paying for is Derrick Henry, but even that’d be in a break-glass-in-case-of-emergency situation wherein Rodgers or Garrett Wilson go down and we need to shift gears on offense. You have to presume the Titans will dump him at some point. 

Great player, but how many miles can that dude have left in him?  Feels like a guy who would break down a few weeks after you give up picks to get him.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Just curious, is your plan to keep pissing and moaning about what’s already done? If so, what do you get out of that? 

If someone who endlessly defended Zach Wilson doesn’t like a move I think the move is to quietly feel moderately more optimistic about that acquisition, let them rant to himself themselves now, and hope they’re just as correct about this player as the last one.

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Most change of pace/complimentary running backs in the NFL today are drafted in the 4th round or later and contribute immediately.  Some RBs picked in the 4th round and later (or UDFAs) are lead backs.  Go down every NFL roster and take a look at the RBs and when they were drafted.  You and some others who expect a roster full of top draft picks and impact players at every position are in a fantasy world.  Breece Hall is on pace for a full recovery and absent an unexpected set back will be the Jets main RB in 2023.  The Jets don't need Cook with Hall on the roster and Carter/Knight/Abanikanda on the roster.  The Jets and every other NFL team can absolutely expect a 4th round rookie RB to have an impact.  It happens all the time. To not expect it is a mistake and to waste more draft picks and pay top dollar to old declining players like Cook and OBJ is extremely foolish and unrealistic. This isn't Madden.

Also important to consider the depth at RB in this class.  There were going to be very good backs available later on and Abanikanda was one of them.

It's a term that I know gets thrown around too often but Leger Douzable was talking about the Jets class the other day and said Abanikanda could be the biggest steal in the group.  May have even said "of this draft" but you get my point.

3 minutes ago, derp said:

Buck stops with the general manager.

Whose job it is to get players that fit a system.  Gase needed another guy to bring what 40 y/o Frank Gore did.  Perine was the perfect fit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Whose job it is to get players that fit a system.  Gase needed another guy to bring what 40 y/o Frank Gore did.  Perine was the perfect fit.

Gore signed with the Jets in the 2020 offseason, same year as Perrine getting drafted. Leveon, who Gase wanted no part of, was also on the roster. Backups were Josh Adams and Kalen Ballage. All we know about the 2020 draft dynamic was that Gase wanted to keep Beachum at OLT and draft CeeDee Lamb. Douglas superseded him and drafted Mekhi Becton

12 minutes ago, derp said:

If someone who endlessly defended Zach Wilson doesn’t like a move I think the move is to quietly feel moderately more optimistic about that acquisition, let them rant to himself themselves now, and hope they’re just as correct about this player as the last one.

The last hope for the Zach Truthers is for Rodgers to fail. 

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

If you want to believe it’s smart to count on a 4th round rookie, even a RB, on a team with Super Bowl aspirations, I say good for you.  I don’t agree.  

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Gase didn’t need another guy to do what Frank Gore did, Perine stopped playing during Gase’s second year with the Jets, and if Perine was a Gore level player he would’ve stuck anywhere else in the league after he got let go.

It’s the general manager’s job to acquire good players. Douglas has even talked about how they try to bring in good players who can do what the staff wants at the position. And even the coach said he wanted to try to replicate a 40 year old running back, the GM should say that’s ridiculous and ignore, because the GM has final say.

It was a bad pick, and that’s on Douglas. Attempting to defend it and pin it on Gase is bizarre.

Also, I was originally poking fun at the idea Douglas has a type based on Hall and Abanikanda. Regardless of who he made which pick for, how different Perine is from those two means it’s not a Douglas thing.