The potential of this team really hasn't hit me yet

I am usually one of the most optimistic Jets fans. @Jetsfan80 and this has nothing to do with Zach either.

but I just dont feel confident at all

I am nor convinced at all that Rodgers will bounce back. If he does we could be a force, but 40 year old QBs fall off a cliff and part of me thinks his decline will continue. 

Not a fan of Saleh. I feel he is very lower tier and will cost us a couple games.

Not sure the offense is as explosive or the defense as dominant as people think. Wilson. Sauce, and Q are critical. Injuries to them cripples us. 

Not confident Rodgers will stay healthy.

Think Breece comes back around week 6 and not the same player until probably 2024.

Darvin Cook is a dubious solution.

And our schedule is crazy hard and our team is not used to prime time games which we have a lot of.

I could see us winning 14 games but I can see us bottom 10.

I HATE our plan. We have one shot. And everything needs to go our way. I just found it happens.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I am usually one of the most optimistic Jets fans. @Jetsfan80 and this has nothing to do with Zach either.

I am nor convinced at all that Rodgers will bounce back. If he does we could be a force, but 40 year old QBs fall off a cliff and part of me thinks his decline will continue. 

Not a fan of Saleh. I feel he is very lower tier and will cost us a couple games.

Not sure the offense is as explosive or the defense as dominant as people think. Wilson. Sauce, and Q are critical. Injuries to them cripples us. 

Think Breece comes back around week 6 and not the same player until probably 2024.

And our schedule is crazy hard and our team is not used to prime time games which we have a lot of.

I HATE our plan. We have one shot. And everything needs to go our way. I just found it happens.

I think we'll end up being somewhat in the middle and more toward the upper tier. Something like 10-11 wins and a playoff berth.

• Upvote 1

The strength of schedule for the year, especially early on, AND the fact that these are the Jets, helps me temper my expectations. I can see a gritty team with not many flaws that ends up 10-7 and as a wild card team this year due to schedule etc.

Next, year could be REALLY special though if they keep most talent in place and truly go “all in” with free agents seeing a successful team that actually has Aaron Rodgers on it and not just speculation. 

Here is the ticket..

When is the last time you remember a Jets team with THREE impactful players on each side of the ball? We have that now on offense and defense. Our issues over the last few decades in any order you prefer were predominantly the following:

1. Poor QB play
2. No playmakers on offense
3. No pass rushers

This team for the first time in years has the TALENT to complete. This has not been the case previouslu and usually one or two position groups literally have walk-ons playing on an NFL field. Yes we have holes, all teams do but we are DEEP and talented and many positions. We will need a little luck health wise but all teams do.

We will win the division, I'm sure of it. Buffalo is regressing, Miami is overrated and the Pats are going implode. Krafty stopped getting handies and is paying attention again and Belicheck without TB is the Belicheck of Cleveland. Can't wait to expose him and the "patriots way" this year

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah they traded for Aaron Rodgers. So damn exciting. BUT -- I don't think the full impact of the excitement has hit me yet. The Jets open against the Bills on MNF and we will all be expecting them to win.

Think about that. Sure the Jets beat the Bills last year, but nobody expected it.

The Jets will be expected to beat the Patriots twice this year. If they lose to the Dolphins it will be a disappointment.

I say that because the full potential of this team has not sunk in for me yet. An offense that moves the ball like we have never seen before. A defense that is built to compliment the type of football they are playing.

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

That is how this team is built. This is going to be an incredible season. Maybe day one of camp, or when they all report it will hit me. Right now I think I am still in shock.

Not to rain on the parade but they still have to play those games and they need to play as a team.  I remember there was a rams team in the early 80’s that had 6 or so pro bowl players. I don’t think they finished above .500. And then there was that redskin team that had a ton of high draft picks and brought in the all America this guy or the best college players and they faltered badly.  I believe this jets team can only be beaten by the jets.  I’m from Missouri, show me winning these games.

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Here is the ticket..

When is the last time you remember a Jets team with THREE impactful players on each side of the ball? We have that now on offense and defense. Our issues over the last few decades in any order you prefer were predominantly the following:

1. Poor QB play
2. No playmakers on offense
3. No pass rushers

This team for the first time in years has the TALENT to complete. This has not been the case previouslu and usually one or two position groups literally have walk-ons playing on an NFL field. Yes we have holes, all teams do but we are DEEP and talented and many positions. We will need a little luck health wise but all teams do.

We will win the division, I'm sure of it. Buffalo is regressing, Miami is overrated and the Pats are going implode. Krafty stopped getting handies and is paying attention again and Belicheck without TB is the Belicheck of Cleveland. Can't wait to expose him and the "patriots way" this year

Add no on field leadership for all three team phases.  The closest on offense for the last two seasons was probably avt.  On defense it’s supposed to be Moseley. Special teams?  At least with Rodgers they have a guy who’s comfortable in his own skin and not afraid to call out players when they’ve made a mistake.  And I’m guessing he owns to his own.

• Upvote 1

The Patriots with Tom Brady were a dynamic offensive force that set up their defense to be successful by making other teams one dimensional with early leads. 

The Jets defense on their own is a dynamic force that will set up their offense. In addition, this is a much improved offense with Rodgers. I foresee a lot of 14-17 point wins for the Jets.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Listen.  We're not competing in this loaded AFC with a B or C level QB.  It's worth the shot. 

We've been without the playoffs for 12 straight years.  Not having to worry about the quality of the QB is a nice feeling.  We took a big swing with Zach Wilson and it failed.  When that domino fell we HAD to take another big swing, but this time at a veteran QB.

The plan is fine.  We have a loaded roster that attracted an upper tier QB to come here.  Now lets have some fun.  If it falls flat on its face....well, we're used to that.  We still have some nice pieces here and will still just be a QB away....like always.

• Upvote 3

Not sure if this will help you but:
  • The season Favre turned 40, he was 12-4 and threw for 4,200 yards, 33 TDs vs. 7 INTs and completed 68.4% of his passes.  
  • The season Brady turned 40 he was 13-3, and threw for 4,577 yards, 32 TDs vs. 8 INTs and completed 66.3% of his passes.
  • The season Brees turned 40 he was 13-2, and threw for 3,992 yards, 32 TDs vs. 5 INTs and completed 74.4% of his passes(!).
A few other QBs, like Moon and Vinny, had success after age 40 (although not like the three above).
There is a blueprint for this to work.  Great QBs who generally don't get hurt can play at a high level at, and even past 40.  No guarantees, but despite what some people here believe, I like Rodgers' chances of playing well the entire season a lot better than Jimmy G's.  A lot of it will be about our OLine's ability to protect.  That's a concern, but Rodgers has survived worse lines in GB.  
Generally, there's as much reason for optimism as we've had in over a decade.  
Complaining about "potential" injuries are just SOB desperation. EVERY team can have the same injuries yall panic about and it derails their season. Get off the pity pot, this team is in the best place it's been in years.

Plus we have Mims.

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

• The season Favre turned 40, he was 12-4 and threw for 4,200 yards, 33 TDs vs. 7 INTs and completed 68.4% of his passes.  
  • The season Brady turned 40 he was 13-3, and threw for 4,577 yards, 32 TDs vs. 8 INTs and completed 66.3% of his passes.
  • The season Brees turned 40 he was 13-2, and threw for 3,992 yards, 32 TDs vs. 5 INTs and completed 74.4% of his passes(!).

A few other QBs, like Moon and Vinny, had success after age 40 (although not like the three above).

There is a blueprint for this to work.  Great QBs who generally don't get hurt can play at a high level at, and even past 40.  No guarantees, but despite what some people here believe, I like Rodgers' chances of playing well the entire season a lot better than Jimmy G's.  A lot of it will be about our OLine's ability to protect.  That's a concern, but Rodgers has survived worse lines in GB.  

I'm certainly hoping Rodgers puts himself in a similar spot to that group, but my fear compared to the others is that Rodgers looks to be declining. Hope I am 100% wrong

12-5 losing to Dallas, KC and Philadelphia early.  It takes a few weeks to get things together.

Lose @ Buffalo and @ Miami late, but win the division.

In contention for the one seed with KC and Jax.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

How were those guys the season they turned 39?

It's not so much that Rodgers will turn 40 it's that he had a massive drop off in production the year he turned 39.  Typically when that decline happens it doesn't turn around.

There is reason for concern. But surely a reason for optimism as the drop could be due to the sore thumb and his mental state.

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's not so much that Rodgers will turn 40 it's that he had a massive drop off in production the year he turned 39.  Typically when that decline happens it doesn't turn around.

There is reason for concern. But surely a reason for optimism as the drop could be due to the sore thumb and his mental state.

If I remember correctly, Brady's last year in NE was very similar to Rodgers last year.

Few weapons, was statistically unimpressive (24 touchdowns and just barely 4k yards), and everyone said he's done.

Then he went to Tampa and threw 40 touchdowns with 4600 yards.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Listen.  We're not competing in this loaded AFC with a B or C level QB.  It's worth the shot. 

We've been without the playoffs for 12 straight years.  Not having to worry about the quality of the QB is a nice feeling.  We took a big swing with Zach Wilson and it failed.  When that domino fell we HAD to take another big swing, but this time at QB.

The plan is fine.  We have a loaded roster that attracted an upper tier QB to come here.  Now let’s have some fun.  If it falls flat on its face....well, we're used to that.  We still have some nice pieces here and will still just be a QB away....like always.

It’s odd hearing Jets fans lament that if we are successful it won’t be sustainable.

Sustainable? Hell, let’s aim for exists!

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, nycdan said:

I’m optimistic for the first time in forever but there’s a problem with your argument here. QBs who play past 40 as a category is already confounded by self-selection bias. Namely, only great QBs tend to play past 40.

3 hours ago, Bronx said:

It's going to take at least 3-4 games for this team to fully gel due to new installation, players, etc. The real identity will be determined by week 10. If we are 7-3 by then, we are going to probably be a top- contending team. 

The entire league is running cup cake mini-camps and nobody plays starters in pre-season games anymore.  NFL football is basically pre-season follies for the entire league for the first 3 to 5 weeks.   Not an issue in the least.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

If I remember correctly, Brady's last year in NE was very similar to Rodgers last year.

Few weapons, was statistically unimpressive (24 touchdowns and just barely 4k yards), and everyone said he's done.

Then he went to Tampa and threw 40 touchdowns with 4600 yards.

Brady definitely had a down year for sure, but he threw for over 4,000 yards (still in 16 games)

And Brady is a bit of an anomaly.  Hopefully Rodgers becomes the second person to be able to do what Brady has done.  We get him for another 5 years.

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

plus rodgers sat behind farve for a while so while he's turning 40, he's got less mileage on his body.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

Aaron is in the twilight of his career...he won't say it out loud but he's chasing a ring, or two, on the way out.

There's a reason Rodgers chose the Jets over the Pack or any other AFC team.....Jets are the best team he's ever played on, and he knows it.

Buckle up

it's amazing how a crappy qb can take a team down.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m optimistic for the first time in forever but there’s a problem with your argument here. Namely, QBs who play past 40 as a category is already confounded by self-selection bias. Namely, only great QBs tend to play past 40.

Which Rodgers is.  SO nothing wrong with that.

There are counter-examples.

Josh McCown, Steve DeBerg, Matt Hasselback to name a few.  But nobody needs to talk about that here :)

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

I’m optimistic for the first time in forever but there’s a problem with your argument here. Namely, QBs who play past 40 as a category is already confounded by self-selection bias. Namely, only great QBs tend to play past 40.

20 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

lol, sore thumb.  he broke his thumb, it wasn't just "sore".

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm not quite on the "this is a historic team" bandwagon just yet, I want to see it in action first, but I think a very reasonable expectation is:

1. Compete every week, against every team, no blowout losses.

2. Win 10+ games

3. Make the playoffs.

4. Compete in however many playoff games we get.

We do that, and I'll be happy enough. 

I'd love more, of course, but more is no sure thing.

But anything less would, IMO, be a failure and should have ramifications to the front office/coaching staff.

This is my expectation as well. I’d be pretty happy with this type of season. KC and Cincy are still on a tier to themselves. But we have a punchers chance. The next tier is pretty stacked with NYJ, MIA, BUF, BAL, JAX, and LAC. One of these teams is going to miss the playoffs.

Edit: forgot CLE. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Which Rodgers is.  SO nothing wrong with that.

There are counter-examples.

Josh McCown, Steve DeBerg, Matt Hasselback to name a few.  But nobody needs to talk about that here :)

I agree with your conclusion just not the basis for it :) 

Assuming the Jets are healthy, there is not a single team on our schedule that looks unbeatable. Not one. Not the Chiefs, not the Bills. None.

Of course, who knows if we will stay healthy. Or if the most important players will stay healthy. But you can't assume other teams won't have injury issues either. Injuries are a crapshoot. 

This very much feels like a schedule where 1/2 the time we face 'good' teams and 1/2 the time we face 'bad' teams. Normally, that would lead me to predict a 9-8 record. But with Rodgers, our defense and our depth all around we have a VERY GOOD TEAM. I expect this team to beat nearly ALL the 'bad' teams and a handful of the good teams. 12 wins minimum is what I am predicting, assuming no major injuries. But I think they can do better if they get on a roll early.   

• Upvote 2