The potential of this team really hasn't hit me yet

Jake Asman summed things up in a simple way today….  Elite QB and a 4th quarter pass rush.   I think we actually have this.
Getting leads changes the time of possession balance and gets our pass rushers more reps.  More chances to break the game open or drive the nail home. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah they traded for Aaron Rodgers. So damn exciting. BUT -- I don't think the full impact of the excitement has hit me yet. The Jets open against the Bills on MNF and we will all be expecting them to win.

Think about that. Sure the Jets beat the Bills last year, but nobody expected it.

The Jets will be expected to beat the Patriots twice this year. If they lose to the Dolphins it will be a disappointment.

I say that because the full potential of this team has not sunk in for me yet. An offense that moves the ball like we have never seen before. A defense that is built to compliment the type of football they are playing.

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

That is how this team is built. This is going to be an incredible season. Maybe day one of camp, or when they all report it will hit me. Right now I think I am still in shock.

Understand completely but am still afraid that I am going to wake up in a wet bed cause I dreamt I was taking a piss and realize it was all a dream with the jets

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

If the Jets can stay relatively healthy, they will be a force this season.

The team is young, deep, and talented across multiple position groups.  Aaron Rodgers changes everything for this team.  It's been such a long time since the Jets had a competent quarterback, let alone a top tier one.  Sometimes it feels like Jets fans forget how much a quarterback drives success in this league.

I'm excited.  LFG!

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

It's going to take at least 3-4 games for this team to fully gel due to new installation, players, etc. The real identity will be determined by week 10. If we are 7-3 by then, we are going to probably be a top- contending team. 

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah they traded for Aaron Rodgers. So damn exciting. BUT -- I don't think the full impact of the excitement has hit me yet. The Jets open against the Bills on MNF and we will all be expecting them to win.

Think about that. Sure the Jets beat the Bills last year, but nobody expected it.

The Jets will be expected to beat the Patriots twice this year. If they lose to the Dolphins it will be a disappointment.

I say that because the full potential of this team has not sunk in for me yet. An offense that moves the ball like we have never seen before. A defense that is built to compliment the type of football they are playing.

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

That is how this team is built. This is going to be an incredible season. Maybe day one of camp, or when they all report it will hit me. Right now I think I am still in shock.

I think they can be as good as anybody though I wonder how our D holds up vs the rush when we play Philadelphia.  We can definitely play pass defense as we are constructed. 

The biggest thing is health- if Rodgers and G Wilson are healthy on offense and Q and Sauce and Reed are healthy on D- we should be competitive all year and a playoff team come January

• Upvote 2

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB
I kind of feel the same way but for me, it's just get me to week 1.. once camp gets here, everything will be scrutinized to death.. so much can go wrong.. we've seen it.. just get me to game 1 and let's take it from there

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

Let's see it on the field.  Until then, the Jets are once again killing it on the off season.  

• Upvote 2

Feels like the offense is two players away from having Top 5 potential.  Yes, that's all possible because of Aaron Rodgers who completely levels up the QB spot.  But "on paper" it feels like having a true TE1 and bona fide sure thing at LT might be the only things holding back the Jets potential of turning from very good.... to great.

As for defense, I have to think that we'll see at least one and probably two edge defenders really elevate this year.  And, it could realistically be any of them.  McDonald could surprise from Day 1 as rookie DEs have been known to hit the ground running quickly after being drafted (shorter learning curve at that position).  Jermaine Johnson has a chance to show his growth from Year 1 to Year 2 and could take that step.  Carl Lawson is another year removed from that injury and has several million $ in reasons to perform.  The real question for me on D is the linebacker spots.  Can it be "good enough" to hold the fort and let the DLine and guys like Sauce and Reed be difference makers?  Or, will opponents find ways to scheme against that potential soft spot in the D?

But to the point of the thread, yes, the potential really is there.... for the first time in a very long time.  Haven't felt this confident in the roster since the second year with Rex Ryan when the Jets went "all in" and were adding guys like LaDainian Tomilinson, Braylon Edwards, etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Let's see it on the field.  Until then, the Jets are once again killing it on the off season.  

For real, it’s the same story every year. I’m usually a dark sider taking bullets for predicting we will suck, and I actually am optimistic this year but I sure don’t blame any Jets fans who are exclusively on a “show me” basis with this team going forward.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, jetstream23 said:

How many Super Bowls do you think the Jets will win in the next 3 years?

A. 2

B. 3

C. More than 3

:D

Making the playoffs is a successful season. Once there, sample sizes are small and weird stuff happens. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1

I think the whole season rides on Garret Wilson.  If he stays healthy for 17 games, we will have a fantastic season.

If he misses time, we are in deep sh!t.  Passing on JSN affords us no wiggle room with an injured Garrett Wilson.

And no, a washed up Deandre hopkins doesnt solve this problem.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 2

1. Stay relatively healthy.  We cannot lose 2 of our top 5 players again like last year.  Losing AVT & Breece effectively ended our 2022 season

2. Take the next step.  Sauce, Garrett, JJ, Huff, Clemons, Lawson, Ruckert, Becton & Saleh

3. Give Rodgers the offensive reins & get out of his way.  Maybe that's why Hackett was the best man for the job

4. Protect JD from @kevinc855

5. Learn to win, starting with accountability.  Take a seat if you aren't performing.  All GAS, ALL CLUTCH 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think the whole season rides on Garret Wilson.  If he stays healthy for 17 games, we will have a fantastic season.

If he misses time, we are in deep sh!t.  Passing on JSN affords us no wiggle room with an injured Garrett Wilson.

And no, a washed up Deandre hopkins doesnt solve this problem.

The team would be worse with Rodgers than Garrett going down. Much worse.

• Upvote 3

We realistically should have won 9-10 games last year in the first year it was reasonable for Douglas' Jets to make the playoffs.  The first 3 years were a complete tear down & rebuild, with new Coach & QB coming in year 3.

Fell short.  No excuses.

The key is whether we addressed the reasons we lost 10 games.

1. Get a credible Offensive Coordinator (Hi Hackett; bye Mike 'Robot' LaFleur)

2. Pivot away from Wilson and acquire a real QB, preferably the franchise type (Rodgers)

3. Offensively-- improve the line & short yardage (Tippmann, Becton, Turner), red zone (Lazard), speed (Hardman & Abanikanda) 

4. Defensively-- improve pass rush (McDonald), create more turnovers (McDonald), cover the tight ends (Clark) and add back end speed/tackling (Adams, JBC)

5. Special teams-- upgrade from Mann & Berrios (Morstead & Hardman)

• Upvote 1