The potential of this team really hasn't hit me yet

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I am usually one of the most optimistic Jets fans. @Jetsfan80 and this has nothing to do with Zach either.

but I just dont feel confident at all

Look on the bright side: if you’re usually optimistic, that would mean you’re usually wrong about the Jets. :) 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah they traded for Aaron Rodgers. So damn exciting. BUT -- I don't think the full impact of the excitement has hit me yet. The Jets open against the Bills on MNF and we will all be expecting them to win.

Think about that. Sure the Jets beat the Bills last year, but nobody expected it.

The Jets will be expected to beat the Patriots twice this year. If they lose to the Dolphins it will be a disappointment.

I say that because the full potential of this team has not sunk in for me yet. An offense that moves the ball like we have never seen before. A defense that is built to compliment the type of football they are playing.

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

That is how this team is built. This is going to be an incredible season. Maybe day one of camp, or when they all report it will hit me. Right now I think I am still in shock.

The potential of the team has hit me.  If all goes right, this could be a special season.  But still, there is that @Fidelio Bitonti corner of my mind that prevents me from going all in on this team in the spring.  I need to see them play well for an extended period of time before I can believe that they will play well.

It is exciting that the ceiling is higher than it has been since at least 2010.  But I need to see it on the field during the season before I will fully embrace it. 

It is still hope more than expectation for me.  But its nice to have hope for a change.

8 minutes ago, Lith said:

The potential of the team has hit me.  If all goes right, this could be a special season.  But still, there is that @Fidelio Bitonti corner of my mind that prevents me from going all in on this team in the spring.  I need to see them play well for an extended period of time before I can believe that they will play well.

It is exciting that the ceiling is higher than it has been since at least 2010.  But I need to see it on the field during the season before I will fully embrace it. 

It is still hope more than expectation for me.  But its nice to have hope for a change.

I will say for the first time in awhile the potential is real and not the mere residue of summer delusions.

But this is the Jets so I’m not taking the realization of that potential for granted.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think the whole season rides on Garret Wilson.  If he stays healthy for 17 games, we will have a fantastic season.

If he misses time, we are in deep sh!t.  Passing on JSN affords us no wiggle room with an injured Garrett Wilson.

And no, a washed up Deandre hopkins doesnt solve this problem.

Lol, the season lives and dies w/ A-Rod

I pretty much always find a way to work myself into an optimistic place during the offseason. Can't help it, it's how I'm wired.

This season could be historic. The young talent on this team is amazing. Rodgers will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. Why not us!!!

Extend JD!

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Yeah they traded for Aaron Rodgers. So damn exciting. BUT -- I don't think the full impact of the excitement has hit me yet. The Jets open against the Bills on MNF and we will all be expecting them to win.

Think about that. Sure the Jets beat the Bills last year, but nobody expected it.

The Jets will be expected to beat the Patriots twice this year. If they lose to the Dolphins it will be a disappointment.

I say that because the full potential of this team has not sunk in for me yet. An offense that moves the ball like we have never seen before. A defense that is built to compliment the type of football they are playing.

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

That is how this team is built. This is going to be an incredible season. Maybe day one of camp, or when they all report it will hit me. Right now I think I am still in shock.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

The potential of this team should not hit you yet.  That is because the Jets haven't done anything yet.  The team got better with the trade of Rodgers, but in no way, shape or form was this team a dominating team last year.  I'm still not sure they replaced Kwan Alexander at the linebacker spot, and we got no studs at safety, and just released a guy in Will Parks that I had high hopes for.  Will Becton come back strong?  Will Breece Hall be back in form?  Have our opponents gotten better?  How will the Jets fare against the Eagles, Bills and the Chiefs?  Rankins was a big loss.  How will Clemons do on the inside? Will Quinnen Williams continue his fine play from last season, or will he revert back to 2 years ago?  

There is a lot to be hopeful for, and a lot to look forward to, but we all need to slow down, because until we see it on the field, I refuse to get too excited right now.

5 hours ago, jgb said:

For real, it’s the same story every year. I’m usually a dark sider taking bullets for predicting we will suck, and I actually am optimistic this year but I sure don’t blame any Jets fans who are exclusively on a “show me” basis with this team going forward.

^^ Rizzed up

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Maxman said:

• Get a lead
  • Get to the opposing QB

teams with the kind of offense we will have are not supposed to be able to afford a def like ours. It is going to be a big reason we win it all thise year!

8 hours ago, Trotter said:

Understand completely but am still afraid that I am going to wake up in a wet bed cause I dreamt I was taking a piss and realize it was all a dream with the jets

Yeah that is where I am at, hopefully it isn't a dream!

8 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

If the Jets can stay relatively healthy, they will be a force this season.

The team is young, deep, and talented across multiple position groups.  Aaron Rodgers changes everything for this team.  It's been such a long time since the Jets had a competent quarterback, let alone a top tier one.  Sometimes it feels like Jets fans forget how much a quarterback drives success in this league.

I'm excited.  LFG!

Amen.

8 hours ago, Bronx said:

It's going to take at least 3-4 games for this team to fully gel due to new installation, players, etc. The real identity will be determined by week 10. If we are 7-3 by then, we are going to probably be a top- contending team. 

The defense is set and the offense was balls last year. So even if only Lazard - Hackett and Rodgers are on the same page, that should be enough to GREATLY improve the early season offense.

8 hours ago, GQMartin said:

Inopportune penalties must be cleaned up if they seek success in the playoffs.

For example, cannot commit boneheaded roughing the passer calls on 3rd and long.

Very good point, that was a BIG issue last year. Just can't happen.

9 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The strength of schedule for the year, especially early on, AND the fact that these are the Jets, helps me temper my expectations. I can see a gritty team with not many flaws that ends up 10-7 and as a wild card team this year due to schedule etc.

Next, year could be REALLY special though if they keep most talent in place and truly go “all in” with free agents seeing a successful team that actually has Aaron Rodgers on it and not just speculation. 

The first six weeks of the season is a ****ing buzzsaw, there’s no debating that. And the reason for it is that the league doesn’t know if the Jets are for real, either, so they’re packing all the best matchups in early while people are still interested in case they are the same ol’ Jets once again. 

More wins is better, but if the team is playing well, getting it together and sticking together, they can absorb 3-4 losses in that first six weeks and still be a playoff team. They get their bye in week seven to lick their wounds, and their remaining 11 games are significantly easier (on paper). They’re in position to probably stumble out of the gate a little bit with a new offense, but also in position to finish extremely strong. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

If the Jets can stay relatively healthy, they will be a force this season.

The team is young, deep, and talented across multiple position groups.  Aaron Rodgers changes everything for this team.  It's been such a long time since the Jets had a competent quarterback, let alone a top tier one.  Sometimes it feels like Jets fans forget how much a quarterback drives success in this league.

I'm excited.  LFG!

except for favre for 1/2 year the jets havent had a top tier qb since joe namath

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Until we win a bunch of football games I'm not going over board.  Last year and the Favre year we looked like gold half way though the season. 

we didnt look like gold last year. it was an obvious mirage that we were winning some games. 

18 hours ago, GQMartin said:

Inopportune penalties must be cleaned up if they seek success in the playoffs.

For example, cannot commit boneheaded roughing the passer calls on 3rd and long.

I'm sure the NFL has sent the refs the annual memo and the Jets are actually going to get some calls this year

13 hours ago, Alka said:

The potential of this team should not hit you yet.  That is because the Jets haven't done anything yet.  The team got better with the trade of Rodgers, but in no way, shape or form was this team a dominating team last year.  I'm still not sure they replaced Kwan Alexander at the linebacker spot, and we got no studs at safety, and just released a guy in Will Parks that I had high hopes for.  Will Becton come back strong?  Will Breece Hall be back in form?  Have our opponents gotten better?  How will the Jets fare against the Eagles, Bills and the Chiefs?  Rankins was a big loss.  How will Clemons do on the inside? Will Quinnen Williams continue his fine play from last season, or will he revert back to 2 years ago?  

There is a lot to be hopeful for, and a lot to look forward to, but we all need to slow down, because until we see it on the field, I refuse to get too excited right now.

How a Jets fan can refuse to be excited about the offseason makes me wonder why you would even be a Jets fan.   The Jets are historically a terrific offseason team.  It's one of the great things about being a Jets fan.   This is clearly a VLT trophy worthy offseason.  

Last year the team showed flashes of dominance.  When AVT and Hall were healthy, even with bad QB play the team was winning and looked on the verge of dominance.

We saw the injuries.  We saw the HC loss the team completely with the way he publicly and probably privately handled the QB situation.  Not to ignore the fact that the QB play was bad across the board.

It's not a stretch to be highly optimistic that adding a HOF QB eliminates the HC lossing the team and that a healthy team could actually be a very good team next year.  It's not a stretch to think we have more TOP, better over all field position, more TD's and a better rested defense.  Those are the things that win football games in the NFL.

17 hours ago, Biggs said:

The entire league is running cup cake mini-camps and nobody plays starters in pre-season games anymore.  NFL football is basically pre-season follies for the entire league for the first 3 to 5 weeks.   Not an issue in the least.

Good post...it's sometimes hard to see what the point of pre-season even is...evaluate the lower end of the roster maybe? But then I think, pre-season is a test of team's second-team. Backups. The squad with the best backups generally does good in the regular season, as starters go down and starters take breathers on the bench.

Kinda like the NBA team with the best 6th man, or a hockey squad with the best 2nd and 3rd lines, etc. The guys we watch during pre-season may not be starters but they'll play a lot of snaps and have a big over-all impact on the final outcome.

Plus there's always the guy everyone falls in love with, just before he gets cut!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Biggs said:

How a Jets fan can refuse to be excited about the offseason makes me wonder why you would even be a Jets fan.   The Jets are historically a terrific offseason team.  It's one of the great things about being a Jets fan.   This is clearly a VLT trophy worthy offseason.  

Last year the team showed flashes of dominance.  When AVT and Hall were healthy, even with bad QB play the team was winning and looked on the verge of dominance.

We saw the injuries.  We saw the HC loss the team completely with the way he publicly and probably privately handled the QB situation.  Not to ignore the fact that the QB play was bad across the board.

It's not a stretch to be highly optimistic that adding a HOF QB eliminates the HC lossing the team and that a healthy team could actually be a very good team next year.  It's not a stretch to think we have more TOP, better over all field position, more TD's and a better rested defense.  Those are the things that win football games in the NFL.

I appreciate your response, and find it hard to disagree with you.  I am very hopeful, and I am excited.  I'm just trying to temper my excitement, because as you are aware, you can not be a Jets fan, without continuous disappointment.  Even when the Jets are very good, it's still 54 years since the Jets even got to the Super Bowl game, let alone win it.

40 minutes ago, Alka said:

I appreciate your response, and find it hard to disagree with you.  I am very hopeful, and I am excited.  I'm just trying to temper my excitement, because as you are aware, you can not be a Jets fan, without continuous disappointment.  Even when the Jets are very good, it's still 54 years since the Jets even got to the Super Bowl game, let alone win it.

This is exactly why you should be excited about the offseason.

Even taking a step back from the whole season and the expectations with Rogers, when have we ever had a list like this of young players who could all play huge rules?  I personally cannot wait to see:

1. Ruckert

2. JJ

3. MacDonald

4. Clemons

5. Tony Adams

6. Tippman

And that is not even counting AVT, Breece and GW two of whom are already stars.   The talent on this team has never been higher and it was an excellent opportunity to go for it with a QB like Rogers.  Who knows how it works out but I cant wait to see.

• Upvote 1