Becton Health Watch 2023

Not yet cleared to practice as far as I know. We’ll find out Thursday I guess. 

competing for a job on the line. 

Coming off a total knee reconstruction. 

hasn’t played in 2 years 

going to be very rusty practicing against a lethal pass rush. 

should be entertaining to see the haters. 

• Upvote 2

This was from a post draft article.

Highlights his time at right tackle and his need to refocus heading into his last year.  Reasons to be excited about him dominating this coming year and at the same time being a motivational risk moving forward.

“At Louisville, Becton started at right tackle as a freshman (committed eight penalties) and wasn't satisfied with his sophomore performance. ("It was just bad film," he said at the scouting combine.) He ballooned to 389 pounds in January 2019, before refocusing and crushing a nutrition/conditioning program that resulted in a 25-pound loss. He dominated the ACC and was named the conference's best offensive lineman.”

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Highlights his time at right tackle and his need to refocus heading into his last year.  Reasons to be excited about him dominating this coming year and at the same time being a motivational risk moving forward.

“At Louisville, Becton started at right tackle as a freshman (committed eight penalties) and wasn't satisfied with his sophomore performance. ("It was just bad film," he said at the scouting combine.) He ballooned to 389 pounds in January 2019, before refocusing and crushing a nutrition/conditioning program that resulted in a 25-pound loss. He dominated the ACC and was named the conference's best offensive lineman.”

That’s a good find. Maybe explains why he feels he is a LT ?   

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Good find. Excited about him this year, but under no circumstances should be entrusted with a long-term contract - even if he's All-World this year.

• Upvote 1

RE: his Louisville experience 

in Becton's first two seasons the coaches ran "Speed" and "Power" sides rather than Left and Right 

the tackles and guard were switching sides based on the play call 

so he has more experience playing either side than most 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, GangGreened said:

I hate how much this kid talks when he’s accomplished nothing.

It was just too easy to take Wirfs there. 2020 draft was such a bust.

I mean it is so easy to just say that now that you know how the players worded out... I mean we should just draft good player right? we should have got mahomes, or drafted josh allen.. cmon man

1 minute ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I mean it is so easy to just say that now that you know how the players worded out... I mean we should just draft good player right? we should have got mahomes, or drafted josh allen.. cmon man

There were lots of us really high on Wirfs. Becton was always boom/bust. Wirfs was the safe pick, true. But the guy broke the bench press record at Iowa, an O-line factory, and was a solid guy on the field. Simply put, huge miss by JD. Hopefully this upward trajectory in his drafting continues 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, freestater said:

There were lots of us really high on Wirfs. Becton was always boom/bust. Wirfs was the safe pick, true. But the guy broke the bench press record at Iowa, an O-line factory, and was a solid guy on the field. Simply put, huge miss by JD. Hopefully this upward trajectory in his drafting continues 

While I do recall that some individuals held a strong preference for Wirfs, the general consensus was that Becton had a higher ceiling, while Wirfs was expected to be very good. Both players were regarded as equally ranked prospects at the time. It's completely unfair to now, in hindsight, criticize JD for not selecting Wirfs and claim that he made a mistake with the pick. There was no clear consensus on who was the superior prospect; they were two highly regarded players with impressive backgrounds. JD ultimately chose Becton based on his higher potential. One can argue that he could have gone the other way, but it's important to recognize the distinction between that viewpoint and simply saying he should have taken the other guy. Wirfs was just as likely to be a bust as Becton. History def agree with Wirfs being the better pick so far, no doubt. But that is how the draft works, there are bust.  

• Upvote 1