Let’s talk about Zach Wilson

Written by Phil SullivanAaron Rodgers - Zach Wilson

Zach Wilson is always a hot topic since he underperformed as a starter. Now he has been given new life as the backup to Hall of Fame QB Aaron Rodgers. Glenn Naughton talks about Zach in this video. Fan reaction to Zach is mostly negative. By mostly negative, I mean all negative. His play on the field warrants the criticism. The JetNation forums are filled with talk about Zach not meeting expectations.

The question has to be asked, is it time to step back and see what Zach can do in another system while he watches Rodgers play? Regardless of what fans want to see, that appears to be the plan. With Rodgers not expected to play in the Hall of Fame game, Zach will be front and center early this preseason.

This is a chance for redemption that many QBs never receive. Zach Wilson’s journey to redemption is far from over. While the negative fan sentiment may be overwhelming at times, it’s essential to consider the potential impact of learning from an all-time great like Rodgers. With a new system and the guidance of an elite quarterback, Wilson has the perfect conditions to evolve and prove himself on the field.

Watch the video above to hear what Glenn has to say on this topic.

The post Let’s Talk About Zach Wilson appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

Who cares at this point.  The goal is to win with Rodgers for the next 1-3 years and by the time he is gone to hopefully have a pipeline of good players and winning records where the QB won’t be the end all be all.  Draft a cheaper, younger QB in the mid rounds with talent around him.

What would you pay Zach to stay here in 1-2 years after him not starting those years?  Too big a risk.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

Just now, Darnold's Forehead said:

Who cares at this point.  The goal is to win with Rodgers for the next 1-3 years and by the time he is gone to hopefully have a pipeline of good players and winning records where the QB won’t be the end all be all.  Draft a cheaper, younger QB in the mid rounds with talent around him.

What would you pay Zach to stay here in 1-2 years after him not starting those years?  Too big a risk.

It is way too early to say that. Hopefully Rodgers plays every game here the next three years and it is a non issue.

But if you need the backup QB for 4 games or so in a season that will go a long way to determining if Zach becomes the long time guy after Rodgers.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

I think the deal the packers gave Love would be the outine.

• Haha 1

It’s hard to see a path where he’s on the team two years from now. I think the ideal situation is that he looks good in the preseason, Aaron Rodgers enjoys his sixth straight season without missing a start, and the Jets trade Zach and the last year of his contract away before next year’s draft.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, JiF said:

But we finally have a reason not to...

Unfortunately this would only be true if he was relegated to the developmental QB3 role like he ought to be.  

As it stands currently we’re one minor injury away from him costing us a shot at a home playoff game.  

But then again he supposedly looks better in camp than he did at this time last year so….PROGRESS babyyyy

• Post of the Week 2

10 minutes ago, slats said:

It’s hard to see a path where he’s on the team two years from now. I think the ideal situation is that he looks good in the preseason, Aaron Rodgers enjoys his sixth straight season without missing a start, and the Jets trade Zach and the last year of his contract away before next year’s draft.

If they think he is developing, they could give him the Jordan Love program and contract and buy a couple of years.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BloodGreen said:

Really young with loads of arm talent. Who knows? Has the opportunity to sit a learn from an all time great, like 5th round talented QB’s should. We shall see…

If there's a power failure he can replace the juggs machine.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m more of a Zach supporter than not and I think this is one path.  We should all be rooting for Zach to light it up if only to enhance his trade value.  At the same time the jets need to evaluate the post Rodgers alternatives.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

If they think he is developing, they could give him the Jordan Love program and contract and buy a couple of years.

For me, that’s difficult to envision, especially if Rodgers feels like playing a third season here. 

• Upvote 3

23 minutes ago, slats said:

Definitely possible .. and would be the perfect Jetsy move if the kid develops into what many envisioned when he came out of school.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, August said:

Zach Wilson should’ve been a 6th round developmental pick. However the best case scenario is him developing for a few years behind Rodgers and after Rodgers retires Wilson takes over and becomes the guy we thought we were getting a few years back. 

I can only think of one QB in the history of the NFL with ZW's arm talent that was drafted in the 6th round. Usually these guys go early. Whether they succeed or not is anyone's guess....but arm talent usually goes early. There's not a whole lot else for scouts to document.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I can only think of one QB in the history of the NFL with ZW's arm talent that was drafted in the 6th round. Usually these guys go early. Whether they succeed or not is anyone's guess....but arm talent usually goes early. There's not a whole lot else for scouts to document.

He doesn’t have arm talent. He has a strong arm. 

• Upvote 2
  • More Ugh 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, August said:

Zach Wilson should’ve been a 6th round developmental pick. However the best case scenario is him developing for a few years behind Rodgers and after Rodgers retires Wilson takes over and becomes the guy we thought we were getting a few years back. 

So what your saying is that he should have been a 6 th round pick, but with a lil tweeking he may be able to be qb1?

• More Ugh 1

My fear is we'll win big with AR, but that will come to an end and we'll have NOTHING in the pipeline. We will be back to square one searching for our FQB. Another decade of darkness. Those 'feel good years' will seem like so long ago, as the losses pile up and the Jets return to the cellar.

I think the thing with ZW is the same as with Becton. 

1 minute ago, Biggs said:

Speaking of historically bad coaching, did you catch a Bronco's game last year?

I hear you, but completely different scenarios. With the Broncos, Hackett was trying to fit Wilson into his offense. It was not a fit. Here, he’s running the offense with the QB it was designed with and for. 

I expect a comeback player of the year type season from Russ under Payton, too. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

I hear you, but completely different scenarios. With the Broncos, Hackett was trying to fit Wilson into his offense. It was not a fit. Here, he’s running the offense with the QB it was designed with and for. 

I expect a comeback player of the year type season from Russ under Payton, too. 

Hackett didn't design or call plays for the Packers offense when Rodgers had his back to back MVP seasons. 

8 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Zach is improving each practice.  He is stepping up and taking the number 2 job.  Great news for this organization and us fans!

I think you're getting ahead of yourself here.  It is a step in the right direction.  Nothing more, nothing less.  It might amount to great news if he continues to build over time, but right now, it's fools gold to think this is great news. 

• Upvote 1