Not Looking Good for Mims in Detroit - Update: Mims Cut

mrcoops

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No way around it as much as I like JD:  Just a horrid, horrid draft.

The COVID excuse has some merit, particularly for a first time GM to navigate, but come on.  Have to be able to adjust a little bit.  He personally interviewed Mims TWICE pre-draft.

Fortunately things have gotten much better but that's still a big stain for him.

At least he is showing signs of learning and getting better unlike that donkey lip Maccagnan

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Garret Wilson over jameson Williams is looking pretty good at the moment (although it's still early)

Getting late awfully quick! 

At bare minimum, Garrett is ascending much faster so we're reaping those benefits now while Detroit will have to wait some more.

• Upvote 3

We don't know what went on behind the scenes it looks like the Jets gave him plenty of chances but decided to get rid of him in pre-season and get back very little. I think some of that decision went through Rodgers who possibly didn't believe Mims could cut it with him. He doesn't obviously want receivers who aren't following game plays and plays called. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

He might be having the same problems he had here in terms of executing a play, penalties, etc. He has the talent to play the position that's why the Jets kept him for several years. 

He has physical traits that tend to correlate to football success. His football talent is no bueno.

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh so you're suggesting it WASN'T LaFleur's fault on this one?

@Dunnie @JohnnyLV

The non-QB versions of Excuse Twister are nowhere near as popular.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

since we're talking Denzel Mims. remember the Jets had the 2.48 pick that year

they trade down to 2.59 - 11 slots - and Mims is still there. Besides being a huge red flag (like everyone else in the league is dumb and JD is smart)

look at some of the players taken between 2.48 and 2.59

2 - 48 - Seattle Seahawks- Darrell Taylor DE - Tennessee - Very good pick, 16 sacks in 2 years.
2 - 49 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Chase Claypool WR - Notre Dame - Good/Decent pick - Traded to CHI but way better WR than Mims
2 - 50 - Chicago Bears - Jaylon Johnson CB - Utah - Good pick, starting CB1 for CHI
2 - 51 - Dallas Cowboys - Trevon Diggs  CB - Alabama - Great pick, Pro Bowl CB    
2 - 52 - Los Angeles Rams - Cam Akers     RB - Florida State - Good pick - oft injured playmaker    
2 - 53 - Philadelphia Eagles - Jalen Hurts QB - Oklahoma - Amazing pick, franchise QB    
2 - 54 - Buffalo Bills - A. J. Epenesa     DE - Iowa - Decent/Good pick rotational    
2 - 55 - Baltimore Ravens - J. K. Dobbins  RB - Ohio State - Decent pick rotational
2 - 56 - Miami Dolphins - Raekwon Davis  NT - Alabama - Decent pick run stuffer
2 - 57 - Los Angeles Rams - Van Jefferson WR - Florida - Decent pick better WR than Mims    
2 - 58 - Minnesota Vikings - Ezra Cleveland OT - Boise State - Good pick starting guard    
2 - 59 -New York Jets -Denzel Mims WR - Baylor - Bad pick bought a French Bulldog from "Luxury Puppies" 

I don't defend the pick, even though I was on board at the time, but I think the whole JD is dumb because they whole league was passing on the guy thing is silly.  First of all, you can say that about anybody that drops - remember when Marino and Sapp dropped and our smart GMs went with the sheep?  I don't think Mims was a guy that dropped.  I think he was generally considered a day 2 pick with a fairly wide range of landing spots.  He tested really well and that made people think he could sneak into the 1st, but some people had him as a day 3 guy who could not get separation.

More importantly, I don't think that Mims was necessarily a target.  I think Douglas traded down and figured a solid WR would be there and took Mims. A ton of WRs went early that year.  More than I expected.  There were reasons to think that some of those teams between the pick we had and Mims wouldn't go WR and there were several solid ones still available later, so the plan may have been fine even if the individual player selected was/is not.

• Upvote 2

The comments about Mims by the Lions Hc weren't positive so it's not looking good for Mims to make the team.  After Mims joined Detroit within a week he said something to the effect that it was lot's better with them than with the NYJ. Lets see what he has to say if they cut him. 

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately, he had trouble picking up new offenses and just kept slipping down the depth chart. The trade to Detroit didn't have much chance of success as he still has all of his baggage and then needed to learn a new system. Too bad, had the height and speed, but couldn't put it together.

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Unfortunately, he had trouble picking up new offenses and just kept slipping down the depth chart. The trade to Detroit didn't have much chance of success as he still has all of his baggage and then needed to learn a new system. Too bad, had the height and speed, but couldn't put it together.

Some players have problems picking up an offense being in the right position on a play, blocking, etc. I can remember when Chad Johnson a really good Wr went to the Patriots and never picked up their offense and wasn't successful. Mims did have some very impressive receptions with the Jets and at times excited fans who thought he could be impact. 

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

The comments about Mims by the Lions Hc weren't positive so it's not looking good for Mims to make the team.  After Mims joined Detroit within a week he said something to the effect that it was lot's better with them than with the NYJ. Lets see what he has to say if they cut him. 

It’s better with the Montreal Alouettes because ……..

19 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Mims is simply not good at football. I remember the moment we drafted him, he seemed so out of it. Almost like he hated being drafted. 

He stinks. Not our problem. 

Head in the clouds. Went to college in his backyard. Probably nowhere near ready to move and be a pro on his own. Some guys can get by on natural talent and turn it on on game days. He wasn’t one of them.

• Upvote 3

51 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Mims is simply not good at football. I remember the moment we drafted him, he seemed so out of it. Almost like he hated being drafted. 

He stinks. Not our problem. 

He was a body catcher and could not break that habit.  On top of that ... He wasn't able to retain the playbook by all accounts.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

So your saying I have no chance of making my money back from last year on mims anytime td?

must have tried that about 8 times

Did he even have 8 targets?  And no, you didn't bet this....  or did you?  What were the odds?

5 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Did he even have 8 targets?  And no, you didn't bet this....  or did you?  What were the odds?

I’m not sure he had 1 target,

I sure did bet it all those times - even had a conversation with our friend @munchmemory that I would donate the winnings to st Jude if it hit.

odss we’re typically +750

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

Riggins.  Farrior.  Terance Mathis.  Danny Woodhead. Geno.  Probably some other guys I am not thinking of, but it's not a long list.

Semantics. But the only one that would fall into the Mims scenario as being bad as a jet is geno. The others didn’t realize there potential weren’t terrible