The Jets cuts and notable cuts thread

Larz

3 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Excellent except I'm hearing Lawson might be done for the season.  

Ah damn, I hope not - I think we try to carry him so it's not a season ender for him. Even if he were to miss the season and come back fresh for the playoffs its still worth the slot IMO

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Interestingly, Tim Boyle also went 37 of 56. 358 yards, but added 4 TDs and wasn’t sacked once. Led all preseason QBs in TD%

Interesting in that he played against scrubs.  
Almost like no one learned anything from Streveler’s preseason last year. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

My crack at the final 53

image.png

Really nice prediction here.  A big question to me is whether 4 total CBs is enough.  I know there's some flexibility with the Safeties and a couple guys could step up in 1-on-1 coverage, but for Week 1 as they wait for Echols this seems just a bit dicey.

Question - Of all the PS guys listed who do you think is most at risk of being swiped by another team?  I think Brownlee would get signed as a WR6 by another team.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think JD holding onto picks is a false narrative.

He got rid of Mims when many on this board wanted to keep him because of his ‘testing numbers’.

Got rid of Jason Pinnock after 1 year because they liked Adams better.  Pinnock now starts for the Giants.  

Cut several players from that first draft class after 2 years.  Then traded Moore after 2 years and recently cut Nasirildeen.

Has made Becton earn that RT position after many fans were more than a little surprised he wasn’t given the opportunity a little sooner.

MC will need to have earned his chance to be on the team.  The reality is that Bam Knight has hurt his own chances.

he got rid of Mims 1 season too late - it was reported someone wanted to trade for him last season.  JD held out for more and got a 7th rounder out of it

I tho getting rid of Pinnock was a mistake and have yet to see Adams play any better but I dont fault them for keeping Adams but rather they held onto Davis a higher pick that has yet to make any difference aside from STs

Nas was a 6th round pick who couldnt stay healthy and was getting abused at LOS

not following what Becton has to do with any of this really

I tho Bam outplayed MC this preseason and last season despite the fumble in pile when he was on the ground

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Really nice prediction here.  A big question to me is whether 4 total CBs is enough.  I know there's some flexibility with the Safeties and a couple guys could step up in 1-on-1 coverage, but for Week 1 as they wait for Echols this seems just a bit dicey.

Question - Of all the PS guys listed who do you think is most at risk of being swiped by another team?  I think Brownlee would get signed as a WR6 by another team.

I think we definitely plan to use 3 safteies a bit more this year. We do have Hardee in an emergency as well.

I think the hype around Brownlee kinda fell off a bit. I'd say Bam, Kuntz, ane Dean are the 3 id be most worried about. Maybe dropping Chaz back down is a safer move.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, derp said:

Part of the reason the Lance pick was so bad was everything the 49ers gave up to move up to get him, and if they gave it up for 3 they certainly would've given it up for 2...

Bingo.  Not sure how anyone feels it's deserving of a free pass when turning down that huge offer to instead take a massive bust of their own that he's now trying to sell people as not a bad backup for the #2 overall.  It would have actually been more defensible if there was reason to believe there were no teams at all interested in moving up.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Im not sold on MC anymore.  He probably makes it because of how JD holds on to picks but not seeing him make many miss tackles and seems a liability on pass protection

who knows he may turn things around with better QB and better OL play.

I'd guess JD is probably dangling him out there to see if there's any trade interest for him, as he's just getting pushed further down the depth chart.  However, if not I agree he's very likely to stick, if for no other reason than as insurance with neither Hall nor Cook being sure things in the health department.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I think JD holding onto picks is a false narrative.

He got rid of Mims when many on this board wanted to keep him because of his ‘testing numbers’.

Got rid of Jason Pinnock after 1 year because they liked Adams better.  Pinnock now starts for the Giants.  

Cut several players from that first draft class after 2 years.  Then traded Moore after 2 years and recently cut Nasirildeen.

Has made Becton earn that RT position after many fans were more than a little surprised he wasn’t given the opportunity a little sooner.

MC will need to have earned his chance to be on the team.  The reality is that Bam Knight has hurt his own chances.

JD is extremely guilty of it, and multiple of your examples actually prove as much.  Mims stuck around for 2 years of no one wanting him on this team, including Mims himself, until JD was able to find someone to agree to one of his pretend "trades" that the Jets actually get nothing of value in return just so he can act as though it wasn't a failure.  The Moore trade only happened after Moore's multiple attempts to shoot his way out of town, being a cancer to this team.  Pinnock got cut because of failed higher draft pick Ashtyn Davis that JD still refuses to own up on.  Just like the Jets were lucky to finally get Morstead back this offseason after the last time JD cut him due to insisting on continually spending more time on the terrible punter he picked.

When you look at that combined with some of the bad veteran contracts he's doubled down on, JD has repeatedly proven himself to be quite a victim of the sunk cost fallacy.

Don't get me wrong, MC may very well be deserving of one the team's lower roster spots for a few reasons, including Bam's poor preseason performance, but there's no question being a draft pick will already give him an advantage with JD.  If anything, I'd say JD will simply be inclined to keep more RBs than he might otherwise normally, given the number of them that he's responsible for at least decent investment to have them here.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • More Ugh 2

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If the jets are going to pick up a WR I'd assume it would be more of a vet, reliable guy with a track record.

Agreed, you would think they'd be looking for someone to fill the Corey Davis role and/or being a less washed up Cobb.

Particularly with Rodgers around, he'd likely want someone ready to step in and go right away.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

JD is extremely guilty of it, and multiple of your examples actually prove as much.  Mims stuck around for 2 years of no one wanting him on this team, including Mims himself, until JD was able to find someone to agree to one of his pretend "trades" that the Jets actually get nothing of value in return just so he can act as though it wasn't a failure.  The Moore trade only happened after Moore's multiple attempts to shoot his way out of town, being a cancer to this team.  Pinnock got cut because of failed higher draft pick Ashtyn Davis that JD still refuses to own up on.  Just like the Jets were lucky to finally get Morstead back this offseason after the last time JD cut him due to insisting on continually spending more time on the terrible punter he picked.

When you look at that combined with some of the bad veteran contracts he's doubled down on, JD has repeatedly proven himself to be quite a victim of the sunk cost fallacy.

Don't get me wrong, MC may very well be deserving of one the team's lower roster spots for a few reasons, including Bam's poor preseason performance, but there's no question being a draft pick will already give him an advantage with JD.  If anything, I'd say JD will simply be inclined to keep more RBs than he might otherwise normally, given the number of them that he's responsible for at least decent investment to have them here.

Well, you are not wrong. JD is way overrated on this board. If it all works out and they win a lot of games and get to the playoffs, all will be forgiven. If it's a failure; he's done. He has had some great picks and some absolutely god awful high round picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 5